Aclaris Began Phase 2a Trials For Topical Jak Inhibitor Today - Just Fyi

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
That would be great even if it only addresses DUPA or retrograde. Hadn’t thought of that possibility. Obviously hope for more but curing my retrograde would be helpful.
Well I can tell you what I have noticed with my own hairloss, which is really complicated.
So I l, like you, have typical retrograde (entire hairline shrinking inwards), plus diffuse thinning with the top being particularly bad, and I also have thinning of body hair. I have tried spironolactone, cpa, the pill, ditasteride, RU, darolutamide, bioidentical estrogen and progesterone, estriol cream, sulfasalazine, setipiprant, cetirizine, supplements to lower testosterone, supplements to boost estrogen, derma stamping and rolling, nizoral, stemoxydine... list goes on and on. The ONLY things that have worked to grow my hair are oral/topical minoxidil and bimatoprost. This tells me that growth factors are basically my main chance. I can’t speak for this because I have tried playing with my immunity before also without success. All I know is that retrograde doesnt seem to presond to hormonal manipulation at all. So we need as many alternatives as we can get.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2018/04/18/303495.full.pdf

Hair regeneration by small molecules that activate autophagy

This represents the third theoretical argument that intermittent fasting might be good for hair growth, as fasting lincreases SHBG, increases VEGF, and increases autophagy.

Exercise, sleep, and a few substances are also alleged to increase autophagy. I have not looked into those areas as much, but those who want autophagy by other means can read up on them.

Last edited:

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I adhered to a CRON diet and with intermittant regular fasts religeously for 5.5 years. It was the best I have ever felt in my life and the worst my face and hair ever looked. Clearing senescent cells through blood replacement and transfusion of youthful plasma may be the better therapy. Horribly expensive though.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I adhered to a CRON diet and with intermittant regular fasts religeously for 5.5 years. It was the best I have ever felt in my life and the worst my face and hair ever looked. Clearing senescent cells through blood replacement and transfusion of youthful plasma may be the better therapy. Horribly expensive though.

Thanks, but,

1) There will be variations between individuals.
2) CRON and IF are two different things and act as confounders.
3) How long were your fasts? I don't expect significant benefits unless you're going far beyond 16 hours regularly. The autophagy just barely starts at 16 hours.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it's important to remember how ridiculous brotzu sounded in a vacuum. Cheap, topical, cosmetic, 100% vellus hair growth or whatever. Maybe brotzu is the Kojima/Shyamalan of hair loss and he'll throw another curve ball at us with the group buy producing results, but I doubt it. The newer stuff seems more professional and realistic. Costs a ton or leads to largely maintaining your hair.
All the same, I get how you feel. I just hit the milestone of dutasteride seems to be making it worse so its time to consider really messing with my body. Estradiol, Daro, spironolactone and that stuff. Not terribly excited about that. Id really rather just rub onion juice on my head and call it good.
Maybe try daro before he spironolactone and estradiol.
Exhaust all other options before you sign away your manhood.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not expecting good things for classic male pattern baldness, there is no visual proof of this while for AA we have plenty.
I just hope it will cure retrograde and DUPA thinning which are not even related with DHT and are more or less immune related.
I need to cure that mild DUPA to get a decent transplant.

Same.
AMEN!!

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
That would be great even if it only addresses DUPA or retrograde. Hadn’t thought of that possibility. Obviously hope for more but curing my retrograde would be helpful.
It’s true, we really don’t understand much about why or how retrograde/Dupa occurs. It’s the bane of my existence man. If this can sort out weird, aggressive hairloss out, then f*****g hallelujah.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Someone claiming to be a dermatologist who knows something about the Aclaris study posted on another site that they expect it to hit the market in 3 - 4 years.

Fingers crossed for us then. And Christiano said at the end of 2015 that if a pharma with deeper pockets picked up her research, 3 to 5 years. I think Aclaris bought Vixen Pharmaceuticals and her research on jakinibs the following spring. She also said that developing a carrier for the drug would take some expertise in order to get it to the depth of human scalp where follicles reside and have it remain there longer than a few minutes to be effective. I think Aclaris has the expertise.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for us then. And Christiano said at the end of 2015 that if a pharma with deeper pockets picked up her research, 3 to 5 years. I think Aclaris bought Vixen Pharmaceuticals and her research on jakinibs the following spring. She also said that developing a carrier for the drug would take some expertise in order to get it to the depth of human scalp where follicles reside and have it remain there longer than a few minutes to be effective. I think Aclaris has the expertise.
That or you can just buy it and eat it

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That or you can just buy it and eat it

That's exactly what Christiano, Claire Higgins, Colin Jahoda et al thought about jakinibs. They thought ingesting jakinibs systemically would be the most effective way to grow hair. I think it was oral ruxolitinib that grew hair in 70%+ of 12 or so Alopecia Areata patients. But during lab tests with mice and to their complete surprise, a topical form of the drug worked far better to accelerate hair growth in rats. The only problem with mice is that their skin is a lot thinner than human scalp with thicker dermis and a layer of fat for the drug to pass through. Aclaris has hopefully developed an effective carrier matrix/solution for getting the drug deep enough into human scalp to affect hair growth in people. Existing jakinibs have a short half life meaning they are metabolized quickly by the body. There is something called blood serum level for the drug, and then there is the amount of drug that remains in the body's tissues for x amount of time. If topical jakinibs work to grow hair in people with pattern baldness, I think it might reveal that the suspected cause of balding, DHT, 5alpha etc, is a circuitous and indirect cause and possibly causing scalp inflammation to some degree or another. It could be that jakinibs will jumpstart hair growth similar to repairing a damaged electrical cord with a splice. Solutions are rarely perfect, but it might be enough to bypass the problem.

Last edited:

Toby0823

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know, it’s very frustrating, but we all need some kind of hope still.

False hope won’t help anyone. It can actually lead to bad decisions when this forum keep suggesting the “cure” is just a year or two away.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's exactly what Christiano, Claire Higgins, Colin Jahoda et al thought about jakinibs. They thought ingesting jakinibs systemically would be the most effective way to grow hair. I think it was oral ruxolitinib that grew hair in 70%+ of 12 or so Alopecia Areata patients. But during lab tests with mice and to their complete surprise, a topical form of the drug worked far better to accelerate hair growth in rats. The only problem with mice is that their skin is a lot thinner than human scalp with thicker dermis and a layer of fat for the drug to pass through. Aclaris has hopefully developed an effective carrier matrix/solution for getting the drug deep enough into human scalp to affect hair growth in people. Existing jakinibs have a short half life meaning they are metabolized quickly by the body. There is something called blood serum level for the drug, and then there is the amount of drug that remains in the body's tissues for x amount of time. If topical jakinibs work to grow hair in people with pattern baldness, I think it might reveal that the suspected cause of balding, DHT, 5alpha etc, is a circuitous and indirect cause and possibly causing scalp inflammation to some degree or another. It could be that jakinibs will jumpstart hair growth similar to repairing a damaged electrical cord with a splice. Solutions are rarely perfect, but it might be enough to bypass the problem.
Yeah I know haha i’m health professional.

Xeljanz works head and shoulders over every other drug orally for autoimmune alopecia, and I have read countless anecdotal accounts to attest to this on other forums. The 2% creams (liposomal vehcile - should provide optimum absorption) seem negligible effective by comparison. From what I know, xeljanz is considered a “pan” jak3 inhibitor. As you say though it has only a biological half-life of 3 hours so needs to be taken 2-3 times daily, usually at 5-10mg doses each.

I believe that there is some relation between the inflammatory process of Androgenetic Alopecia and immunosuppressive drugs. Also, there were the studies which showed that Jak-stat inhibiton resulted in the onset of anagen phase and subsequent hair growth cycle steps. Dr. Christiano’s study showed that “JAK inhibition regulates the activation of key hair follicle populations while improving the inductivity of dermal papilla cells”. So theoretically a growth stims for us with Androgenetic Alopecia.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
False hope won’t help anyone. It can actually lead to bad decisions when this forum keep suggesting the “cure” is just a year or two away.
I’m not telling you to invest in Brotzu lotion or start rubbing any old Chinese tonic on your head mate. I only talk about what there is potential in.

alebaba

Established Member
Reaction score
This represents the third theoretical argument that intermittent fasting might be good for hair growth, as fasting lincreases SHBG, increases VEGF, and increases autophagy.

Exercise, sleep, and a few substances are also alleged to increase autophagy. I have not looked into those areas as much, but those who want autophagy by other means can read up on them.

I did intermittent fasting for a year before, I went through the worst shedding in my life during this time. It's probably not intermittent fasting fault tho, I was on creatine for about 6 months and had a shitty sleeping schedule to go along with it.