Achieving the "Wet" Look with Toppik

evolutionary

Reaction score
Hey -

I thought I would pass along a method I figured out as to how to achieve the "wet" look while using Toppik. Before I started heavy thinning I used to use gel for styling purposes. The problem is it's hard to use gel with Toppik without smearing away coverage from certain parts of the scalp, which defeats the purpose. So here's what I stumbled on for my fellow diffuse thinners:

1. Apply Toppik as you normally would, filling in the thinning areas, etc.

2. Use a STRONG hairspray liberally, depending on how much hair you have. I personally use Fat Hair but whatever you're comfortable with, just make sure it's a fast-drying, strong holding spray. I would guess I spray for about 5 seconds to get the whole head covered.

3. Let the hair spray settle for about 30-40 seconds.

4. Style accordingly. You need to move briskly since it dries quick, but you should get at least a couple minutes to style it like the good old gel days.

I use a paddle brush to style it, and I've been able to achieve looks I haven't done in several years because of the styling adjustments I had to make as a result of the thinning/recession. But this way, the Toppik remains solidly in place and locked in, and when the spray dries it leaves you with a "wet" look (again, can't speak for other brands but the one I use does).

So that's my method -- my apologies if someone already has a better, easier way, just thought I'd lend a hand since I have missed that style for years. Hope it helps.

Evo

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nice, pleased it works for you. I'm still struggling with these products to make the thin bits look passable... too little and pat it takes away, too much and it looks clumpy and sandy. I think shorter hair probably works better with this stuff, It is very black spotty for me on the scalp. I don't have any confidence when it's on to show off the back of my head

evolutionary

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, I never cease to be floored by how much it covers up the thinning crown when I use it. Doesn't do anything for my receding hairline of course, but beggars can't be choosers I guess. It takes several years off for diffuse/crown thinners IMO.

One suggestion I would make if you haven't already would be not to hold the shaker too close when applying. I find if I shake from maybe 2-3 inches away, "peppering" your hair all over, it doesn't get that clumpy effect like it does if I tap it directly onto the scalp. I apply one round, shake/pat the hair to have it settle, then I apply again to the spots I missed (but NOT patting the second time around) and then apply the hair spray to lock it in.

I use and would recommend getting a good-sized handheld mirror so you can see exactly how it looks and keep applying til it looks right. I think it's crucial to proper Toppik application. The hairspray effect also makes it blend in that much more.

Hope this helps.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for that! I will keep trying....... When they demo Super Million they actually hit the head with it instead of sprinkling, Any experience of the other brands, Nano etc?

evolutionary

Reaction score
No, I have never tried any other brands, though I guess I should and run some comparisons. I've just always had good luck with Toppik, I just never had reason to ditch it.

Note: with the sprinkling method, you're going to leave some "evidence" within a one-two foot radius of you, so be prepared for a little clean up afterward. My sink always needs a rinse right after.