Accutane and Hair Loss - a mother's story - w/pic link

Someone's Mom

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed how many very young men have receding hairlines? I 'd guess if you asked some of them they'd say they took Accutane. I've read of many young women suffering the same.

My 18 year old son took Accutane for 8 months. His dermatologist called it a "miracle drug" and so I sent him off to college with his Accutane. His doctor increased the amount of Accutane every couple of months over the course of the 8 months and then when the Dr deemed he is face was clear enough, he stopped taking it.

Over the year FOLLOWING THE END OF HIS TREATMENT, my son would often mention that he felt like his hair was thinning. I told him he was too young for that and didn't really worry about it. I thought it was just a young man's vanity speaking. But, when he came home for the summer I was shocked at how thin and "sick" his hair looked. The individual hairs had become fine and weak and were prone to breaking. The hair at his temples to the top of his head was thinning out/receding and I noticed a lot of hairs in the bathroom sink. I was as upset as he was and immediately began researching the reasons for hair loss in younger men and the same answer kept coming up, Accutane.

I wrote to Roche and they confirmed that Accutane caused hair loss and said in some cases it is PERMANENT. The nurse who answer me from Roche said:

"The complete prescribing information for Accutane lists alopecia (absence or loss of hair), which in some cases persists- as a possible adverse reaction to Accutane treatment. I am sorry, but although we are the pharmaceutical manufacturer of Accutane, we cannot provide treatment recommendations or healthcare advice to patients or consumers on the management of side effects."

They also sent me a long questionaire to fill out and one to send to his doctor to fill out asking for dates and dosage amounts. So, Roche is very aware of the problem, which is basically a Vitamin A overdose. Do a search on Vitamin A and hair loss and you will see the correlation. Vitamin A stays in your liver and for a long time and that's the reason why the hair loss does not always stop when you stop the drug.

My son is 20 now and has been on Rogaine and Propecia per his dermatologist for the past 5 months. He shampoos with Loprox twice a week, twice a week with Nizoral, and Nixoin the other days. I've also put him on a combination of supplements that I feel are all working to strenthen his hair. Most important in his regimen to me is that he's taking 5000 mg of Biotin (strengthens hair) and 5000 mg of MSM (faster hair growth)

We have limited his intake of Vitamin A. He does not take a multi-vitamin that contains A. His hairs are now thicker (each individual hair) and darker, and the best news is I barely see any hair in the sink, and he's regrowing hair at his hair line and the front top is thickening also. I'll see if he'll let me post a few pictures.

I'm sure most of this success is attributed to Rogaine/Propecia/Nizoral combo, but I'm confident that the actual better condition of his hair is due to the supplement regimen he's on (I'll add that to my profile). I believe if you attack this problem as soon as possible you can succeed. Maybe the hair was going to come back eventually and the combination of all of the above kick started the process. Regardless, although it takes a little dedication to stick with the program, it's working.

Do not let your doctor or anyone tell you it's not the Accutane or that the hair loss isn’t permanent. In some cases it is. His Dr. tried to say these things until I told him I'd been in touch with Roche. Then he changed his tune.

I’d be very interested in hearing from anyone who has hair loss and has taken Accutane at anytime in their life.

Apoc

Established Member
Reaction score
I doubt if he had Accutane loss and not male pattern baldness that Propecia helped in restoring his hairline. Supplements and Rogaine probably did the trick. I had major loss of hair after just 10 days of 40mg/day of Accutane. After 5 days my front started shedding so badly and my whole face was peeling. Saddly because I have male pattern baldness I never regrew the lost hairline hair.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Instead of acting so panicked, why dont you just reassure your son that life will still be ok if he goes bald?

He now probably links his self worth and your love for him to his hair, and will become a complete mess when his treatment no longer works.

Since when did moms become so superficial anyway? I thought hair didnt matter to women, lol.

Also, what happens if your son becomes impotent from you altering his hormones at such a young age? If he isnt sexually active yet, imagine what might happen if he cant achieve an erection his first time with a girl?

G

Re: Accutane and Hair Loss - a mother's story

Someone's Mom said:
5000 mg of Biotin (strengthens hair)

No way your son can be taking this much. I can believe that he's taking 5000 mg of MSM but you have to have meant 5000 MCG, or 5 mg, right?

Anyway congratulations to him on getting on rogaine and propecia, and I hope he gets all of the hair back that he lost.

Oh yeah, Thinning, stop being a dick, or stop being yourself I guess.

Someone's Mom

Reaction score
Thinning said:
Instead of acting so panicked, why dont you just reassure your son that life will still be ok if he goes bald?

My panic was I thought something was wrong with him. He went in for full blood work etc to make sure it wasn't something big going on. In the meantime, I searched on my own for what could be causing it, because, you know, that's what most Mom's would do, and that's when I found out about the Accutane connection.

He now probably links his self worth and your love for him to his hair, and will become a complete mess when his treatment no longer works.

Uh.....you're joking with this and forgot the winky, right?

Since when did moms become so superficial anyway? I thought hair didnt matter to women, lol.

You'll know when you're a mom someday :wink:

G

Thinning never jokes. He is 35 and unmarried. He will likely remain lonely for the rest of his life judging from his attitudes about women and his general attitude. Pay no attention to him, Someone's Mom.

Someone's Mom

Reaction score
Re: Accutane and Hair Loss - a mother's story

JayMan said:
No way your son can be taking this much. I can believe that he's taking 5000 mg of MSM but you have to have meant 5000 MCG, or 5 mg, right.

Whoops, you're right. 5000 MCG. And thanks for the well wishes. I'm happy that he's happy.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
Thinning never jokes. He is 35 and unmarried. He will likely remain lonely for the rest of his life judging from his attitudes about women and his general attitude. Pay no attention to him, Someone's Mom.

Its better than being a 25 year old virgin lke JayMan, lol. Anyway, Im not single, and havent been for a while.

HARM1

Established Member
Reaction score
I tool accutane and my tepmle area started to bald.
How do you think that a vitamin A overdose speeds up DHT related balding? how is it that the vitamin a hits exactly where male pattern baldness hits( temples) ?

ronaldkia

Established Member
Reaction score
Who here also took Accutane? or had a major problem with acne during their h.school/ college years? or didnt have that problem?

VeryTired

Reaction score
Can Accutane cause hair shedding to women?
Can Accutane Cream cause it too?

I have a friend whom uses Accutane Cream and is lately suffering from a shed in the front hairline, she's a girl so I wasn't really worried and thought it's temporary because she keeps dyeing her hair.

Someone's Mom

Reaction score
HARM1 said:
I tool accutane and my tepmle area started to bald.
How do you think that a vitamin A overdose speeds up DHT related balding? how is it that the vitamin a hits exactly where male pattern baldness hits( temples) ?

From what I've read and learned, Accutane causes hypervitaminosis A. hypervitaminosis A causes hair loss. Why it's the same area as male pattern baldness I don't know

Someone's Mom

Reaction score
VeryTired said:

Yes! I've read about many females who have used Accutane and have problems with hair loss.

I don't think it's a coincidence that she's using Accutane in any form and she's losing her hair.

VeryTired

Reaction score
Someone's Mom said:
VeryTired said:

Yes! I've read about many females who have used Accutane and have problems with hair loss.

I don't think it's a coincidence that she's using Accutane in any form and she's losing her hair.
Thank you, I'll take note of that.

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
i took 100mg of accutane a day (two 40mg - yellow i believe, and one 20mg - red?) way back in 97-98. i cant say i noticed hairloss until quite a while after that.

this thought has crossed my mind, though.

eek

Reaction score
took an accutane course last year, over 6 months. I'm 24. Before that, I had slightly receeded temples..nothing big really, probably like my dad, who was nw2 at 50.
Anyway, after the treatment, last april, i noticed my frontal hair hadn't actually receded, but had gotten quite diffuse. Quite annoying, people don't really notice it, but I sure do. Can't really be sure its accutane, but it could very well be. Am hoping it'll regrow, in time. did try minoxidil, but got nasty shedding all over my head, making my frontal hair even worse. Stopped it, not because of the shedding, but because it was causing excess body hair, which I'm absolutely not ok with.