Accutane and Hair Loss - a mother's story - w/pic link

s.a.f

Reaction score
My hair was at least that bad my whole life. I was always being told that I'd go bald (even by teachers). The slightest amount of rain or wind made my hair look ridiculous. M.p.b kicked off at 19.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Someone's Mom said:
I wasn't asking for a diagnosis.

Too bad, you asked what people thought, thats what I though, lol.

Anyhow its more than likely not related to Accutane. Im not saying that its not, just that there is a much higher chance that its just plain old pattern baldness. Probably like 20 to 1 odds that its not related to Accutane.

And dont think that the anecdotal evidence of the members on this board will make your theory any more real. Look at all the stupid replies to "masturbation caused hairloss" and "hairloss becauase you are not social at the workplace" and you will find that there are tons of people on this site wanting to find some reason why there hair is falling out, and dont want to accept that its due to plain old pattern baldness.

Someone's Mom

Reaction score
Thinning said:

I was asking what people thought about the new temple/hairline growth after 5 months :shock:

My main reason for posting here was that I read and learned a lot from these forums and hundreds of pages of info during my research. I wanted to let people know that Accutane does cause hair loss (or as Roche parses it "an abscence of hair" :evil: ) in some people...more than your doctor or Roche will admit to. It's not a theory, it's a fact, and people should consider that if they're using now or have used it in the past, or plan to use it in the future. Some people will think the risk is worth it, some won't. I think it's important that people have all the info.

So, yes, based on everything I now know, I believe Accutane caused his male pattern baldness to start early. Still, in spite my research and the conversations with Roche and with his Dr admitting it, the bottom line now is how to reverse it, or at least control it. Hence the minoxidil/Propecia/etc plan which seems to be working.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Thinning said:
you will find that there are tons of people on this site wanting to find some reason why there hair is falling out, and dont want to accept that its due to plain old pattern baldness.

I agree completly this statement is only too true and I'm tired of pointing this out, but given this kids age and the fact that the hairloss happened after taking accutane I'd guess that it does have something to do with the drug. I've heard of examples of young men who had chemo and although they went onto make a full recovery the hair on top of their head never grew back (just the sides and back) even though their hair was ok before the treatment. Its almost as if the treatment jumpstarted m.p.b and the hair was'nt resiliant enough to recover.

Apoc

Established Member
Reaction score
How are genetics of the men in your family Mom? Your husband and fathers/grandfathers.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
What does hair loss caused by Accutane look like Thinning?

It falls out all over, doesent recede at the temples like male pattern baldness. Similar to chemo hairloss - its actually Vitamin A poisoning.

Thats why I think this kid just has male pattern baldness, clear temple recession, thinning in the norwood profile. Its not that odd for a 20 year old, I knew kids in highschool with worse pattern baldness than him.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
but given this kids age and the fact that the hairloss happened after taking accutane I'd guess that it does have something to do with the drug.

Lets look at the evidence supporting Accutane being the culprit.
1.) The kid used Accutane.
2.) 5% of users report hairloss

Now lets look at the evidence supporting male pattern baldness
1.) 95% of the people using Accutane dont have hairloss
2.) His hairline is receeding and thinning in the classic norwood pattern.
3.) The sides of his hair look normal, the top is where most of the loss has occurred.
4.) He has shown improvement on Propecia and Rogaine, which isnt usually the case with Accutane hairloss.
5.) "Mom" has not mentioned eyelash and eyebrow loss, which would likely have been somewhat noticeable if the hair on his head was falling out due to Accutane.

While I think its possible that the Accutane sped up his genetic hair loss, I still think its more likely its not related. Just simple statistics indicate that its not a high probability.

HARM1

Established Member
Reaction score
Someone's Mom said:
Thinning said:

I was asking what people thought about the new temple/hairline growth after 5 months :shock:

My main reason for posting here was that I read and learned a lot from these forums and hundreds of pages of info during my research. I wanted to let people know that Accutane does cause hair loss (or as Roche parses it "an abscence of hair" :evil: ) in some people...more than your doctor or Roche will admit to. It's not a theory, it's a fact, and people should consider that if they're using now or have used it in the past, or plan to use it in the future. Some people will think the risk is worth it, some won't. I think it's important that people have all the info.

So, yes, based on everything I now know, I believe Accutane caused his male pattern baldness to start early. Still, in spite my research and the conversations with Roche and with his Dr admitting it, the bottom line now is how to reverse it, or at least control it. Hence the minoxidil/Propecia/etc plan which seems to be working.
Hey,
finasteride helped your kid, meaning DHT is what's killing his hair. The idea is that the vitamin A overdose jumps starts the male pattern baldness process? I too got male pattern baldness after using accutane. You should try to find out VIA if and how this is possible. If accutne did start my male pattern baldness i will be very sad and mad that no body had told me this, And I think a law suit could be in place.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Thinning said:
Old Baldy said:
What does hair loss caused by Accutane look like Thinning?

It falls out all over, doesent recede at the temples like male pattern baldness. Similar to chemo hairloss - its actually Vitamin A poisoning.

Thats why I think this kid just has male pattern baldness, clear temple recession, thinning in the norwood profile. Its not that odd for a 20 year old, I knew kids in highschool with worse pattern baldness than him.

I see. Thank you. Makes sense that it wouldn't just be in the horseshoe pattern.

Someone's Mom

Reaction score
Thinning said:

There could be overall loss however the main area of thinnng is the temples (more so on the right), the top, and the fringe.

The hair loss occurs in both women and men and even in women resembles male pattern baldness

One of the common threads I've seen with anyone who thinks their hair loss was Accutane related is: their hair loss appeared much earlier in life than expected. It came on during or not long after stopping Accutane. It came on noticebly, not gradually. Their hair texture became very dry, brittle and lifeless which lead to breakage (helped by Biotin/B-Complex) that made it seem like even more hair was falling out.

The hair loss/Accutane user percentage is more like 10-14%, and the eyebrow/eyelash hair loss you mentioned seems to be very rare. Just because someone is not missing their eyebrows doesn't mean their hair loss can't be Accutane related.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Someone's Mom said:
One of the common threads I've seen with anyone who thinks their hair loss was Accutane related is: their hair loss appeared much earlier in life than expected.

I hate to break this to you, but EVERYONE who loses their hair thinks it came on much earlier than they expected.

docj077

Reaction score
I don't know if this matters in this thread or not, but I thought this study seemed important. This is in vitro or basically in the test tube, but it's important to note that retinoids seem to cause the exact same downstream effects that androgens do when it comes to hair loss. If they do indeed develop these TGF-beta II antagonists and receptor antagonists as planned, it would be a huge leap forward for every man or woman with androgenic alopecia or retinoid-induced alopecia. It would be a very real life long application of a cure.

1: J Invest Dermatol. 2005 Jun;124(6):1119-26.
Towards dissecting the pathogenesis of retinoid-induced hair loss: all-trans retinoic acid induces premature hair follicle regression (catagen) by upregulation of transforming growth factor-beta2 in the dermal papilla.Foitzik K, Spexard T, Nakamura M, Halsner U, Paus R.
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany.

Diffuse hair loss ranks among the most frequent and psychologically most distressing adverse effects of systemic therapy with retinoids, which severely limits their therapeutic use even where clinically desired. Since the underlying mechanisms of retinoid-induced effluvium are as yet unknown, we have investigated the influence of the prototypic retinoid all-trans retinoic acid (ATRA, tretinoin) on the growth of human scalp hair follicles (HF) in culture. HF in the anagen VI stage of the hair cycle were cultured in the presence of 10(-8) or 10(-10) M ATRA. Compared with controls, hair shaft elongation declined significantly already after 2 d in the ATRA-treated group, and approximately 80% of the ATRA-treated HF had prematurely entered catagen-like stage at day 6, compared with 30% in the control group. This corresponded to an upregulation of apoptotic and a downregulation of Ki67-positive cells in ATRA-treated HF. Since transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta has been implicated as a key inducer of catagen, we next studied whether ATRA treatment had any effect on follicular expression. TGF-beta2 immunoreactivity was detected in the outer root sheath of anagen VI scalp HF. In catagen follicles, TGF-beta2 was also expressed in the regressing epithelial strand. After 4 d of ATRA treatment, TGF-beta2 was significantly upregulated in anagen HF in the dermal papilla (DP) and the dermal sheath, 7, and TGF-beta neutralizing antibody partially abrogated at RA induced hair growth inhibition. Real-time PCR confirmed a significant upregulation of TGF-beta2 transcripts in ATRA-treated hair bulbs. This study is the first to provide direct evidence that ATRA can indeed induce a catagen-like stage in human HF and suggests that this occurs, at least in part, via upregulation of TGF-beta2 in the DP. Therefore, topical TGF-beta2/TGF-beta receptor II antagonists deserve to be explored for the prevention and management of retinoid-induced hair loss.

HARM1

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
I don't know if this matters in this thread or not, but I thought this study seemed important. This is in vitro or basically in the test tube, but it's important to note that retinoids seem to cause the exact same downstream effects that androgens do when it comes to hair loss. If they do indeed develop these TGF-beta II antagonists and receptor antagonists as planned, it would be a huge leap forward for every man or woman with androgenic alopecia or retinoid-induced alopecia. It would be a very real life long application of a cure.

Towards dissecting the pathogenesis of retinoid-induced hair loss: all-trans retinoic acid induces premature hair follicle regression (catagen) by upregulation of transforming growth factor-beta2 in the dermal papilla.Foitzik K, Spexard T, Nakamura M, Halsner U, Paus R.
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany.

Diffuse hair loss ranks among the most frequent and psychologically most distressing adverse effects of systemic therapy with retinoids, which severely limits their therapeutic use even where clinically desired. Since the underlying mechanisms of retinoid-induced effluvium are as yet unknown, we have investigated the influence of the prototypic retinoid all-trans retinoic acid (ATRA, tretinoin) on the growth of human scalp hair follicles (HF) in culture. HF in the anagen VI stage of the hair cycle were cultured in the presence of 10(-8) or 10(-10) M ATRA. Compared with controls, hair shaft elongation declined significantly already after 2 d in the ATRA-treated group, and approximately 80% of the ATRA-treated HF had prematurely entered catagen-like stage at day 6, compared with 30% in the control group. This corresponded to an upregulation of apoptotic and a downregulation of Ki67-positive cells in ATRA-treated HF. Since transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta has been implicated as a key inducer of catagen, we next studied whether ATRA treatment had any effect on follicular expression. TGF-beta2 immunoreactivity was detected in the outer root sheath of anagen VI scalp HF. In catagen follicles, TGF-beta2 was also expressed in the regressing epithelial strand. After 4 d of ATRA treatment, TGF-beta2 was significantly upregulated in anagen HF in the dermal papilla (DP) and the dermal sheath, 7, and TGF-beta neutralizing antibody partially abrogated at RA induced hair growth inhibition. Real-time PCR confirmed a significant upregulation of TGF-beta2 transcripts in ATRA-treated hair bulbs. This study is the first to provide direct evidence that ATRA can indeed induce a catagen-like stage in human HF and suggests that this occurs, at least in part, via upregulation of TGF-beta2 in the DP. Therefore, topical TGF-beta2/TGF-beta receptor II antagonists deserve to be explored for the prevention and management of retinoid-induced hair loss.
OH god i was never told this by my Doctor. So this means that accutane may have speeded yp my male pattern baldness? What to you think can help the situation ?

docj077

Reaction score
HARM1 said:
docj077 said:

OH god i was never told this by my Doctor. So this means that accutane may have speeded yp my male pattern baldness? What to you think can help the situation ?

Well, this drug may not have caused this effect for you. This is a known side effect, but the doctor may not have known this when you were taking the drug.

Scientists are just now breaking down why it happens, but it's a very real possibility that the accutane didn't help.

I'm pretty sure that the company that makes accutane has listed hair loss as a side effect now. It wouldn't surprise me if they did that so people couldn't sue them for wrong doing. Isn't it, once they inform you, you have a year to press charges or else the statute of limitations runs out? I suck with legal stuff, but it goes something like that.

bubka

Reaction score
my understanding that is cannot cause male pattern baldness if you were not going to have it already; however, it can accelerate it, or bring it about earlier... in some people

the pics look like classic male pattern baldness, was it brought on early or started by accutane... i don't know...

HARM1

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
HARM1 said:
docj077 said:
I don't know if this

Well, this drug may not have caused this effect for you. This is a known side effect, but the doctor may not have known this when you were taking the drug.

Scientists are just now breaking down why it happens, but it's a very real possibility that the accutane didn't help.

I'm pretty sure that the company that makes accutane has listed hair loss as a side effect now. It wouldn't surprise me if they did that so people couldn't sue them for wrong doing. Isn't it, once they inform you, you have a year to press charges or else the statute of limitations runs out? I suck with legal stuff, but it goes something like that.
Hey there, thanks for your help.
I'm very sad to learn that accutane may have damged my hair.Do you think that it started the temple reccesion i have, but after stoping the accutane the balding will stop and happen when it was suppose to happen, or the accutane started the male pattern baldness process all over, earlier the it was sippose to be?

docj077

Reaction score
HARM1 said:
docj077 said:
HARM1 said:
docj077 said:
I don't know if this

I'm very sad to learn that accutane may have damged my hair.Do you think that it started the temple reccesion i have, but after stoping the accutane the balding will stop and happen when it was suppose to happen, or the accutane started the male pattern baldness process all over, earlier the it was sippose to be?

I really don't know. If it concerns you, talk with your doctor and see if you could possibly switch medications.

HARM1

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
HARM1 said:
docj077 said:
HARM1 said:
docj077 said:
I don't know if this

I really don't know. If it concerns you, talk with your doctor and see if you could possibly switch medications.
I'm of the drug for like 2 years, but my hair problems started after using it. Do you think there is a way to check if the VITAMIN A overdose is what caused my early male pattern baldness?