Accutane a cure

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
i've ordered d calcium pantothenate from purebulk (cheapest i could find), i should have it in a week or so.

plan is to take 10g/day until my body acne clears up (a small problem i have had since the time when my hairloss first started). then i'm going to lower the dose to 1.5g/day

other things i'm already doing:
nano shampoo 5x/week, nizoral 1-2x/week
good balanced diet high in fruits and vegetables
regular exercise and some weight training

i am also coming off using AIFM for a month at 1-2 pumps per day.

zack-b

Reaction score
Anyone have updates...hair related updates? I am thinking of taking the plunge and ordering some accutane. I have been off finasteride for 2 months and my hair looks like garbage now.

tabacaru

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here, but this theory intrigues me.

I have been suffering from a 'strange' bout of hair loss. I call it strange because people have been telling me i would go bald ever since I was 14. I have a bit oddly shaped forehead that kind of angles back, so any hair loss is kind of 'accentuated' on me. I get this from my mom. Some days when I look at her hairline, i could swear she has male pattern baldness but then I realize it's just the angled forehead.

Nevertheless, my hair loss is also strange because there is virtually no hairloss in my family. My dad has lost a little bit of hair, maybe Norwood 1-1.5, but that is the extent of hair loss in my family. I've even known one of my great grandparents who had a full head of hair.

About two years ago, I started actually caring emotionally about it. So last year I decided to try my luck at topical minoxidil and nizoral. I actually grew back a very little amount of hair but not anything spectacular. My hair did however stop getting worse, so i will continue it. I found out that my grandfather has had prostate problems for a while now, so I started taking saw palmetto as a pre-emptive strike. I had also heard it was good for hair loss, so why not.

I have been using it now for about two months and am seeing a bit of improvement. I lose less hair, and the hair I am losing seems to be from the places where I want to lose the thin hair (where I want it to come back thicker). I obviously haven't been using it for a long enough time now but I have been noticing a great difference in my prostate health (a problem i didn't even know I had!). It feels like there is alot less pressure going to the bathroom, and well I could go on, but that's besides the point.

My main issue - and the reason why I am posting in THIS thread - is that ever since I've been taking the saw palmetto and continuing with minoxidil, i've been noticing very small hairs starting to grow in the places where I've lost it (temple area). However, these small hairs are almost ALWAYS accompanied by bumps of sebum. It should also be noted that I had moderate-severe acne in highschool (i was offered acutane, but declined). Even now, I suffer from an odd case of acne in that I have alot of small bumps full of sebum all over my face. They are barely noticeable, but I can squeeze alot of sebum from almost anywhere in my face. It should also be noted that I had an unusually large amount of testosterone as a teenager (i am 21 now), to the point where I would get nodules of testosterone near my nipples (yes, a weird condition) since my body was producing too much.

I feel then that if i were to have any hair growth, it is being stopped by this sebum which is caused by the production of too much testosterone.

Now, I have almost come to terms with my hair loss especially since it seems to have stopped, so I am not really willing to go on any prescription meds. I am however always up for trying anything over the counter so this "Coenzyme A" is VERY intriguing to me due to what I have just explained above. I have decided to get some and will post the results here later.

BTW, is there any place to buy this in Canada that does not require shipping?

Edit: I should also note that my hair condition seems to be getting better as the condition of my face is getting better. As time has gone by, my face has stopped producing as much sebum as it did in my teenage years and my hair loss seems to be getting better in much the same way. Probably too vague to state that it was the cause of my hair loss, but the correlation IS there. (Which is why this thread is quite intriguing).

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is everyone that's taking low dose Accutane also taking Biotin? If not, you should be...

Posted on HLH

"Accutane may result in hypervitaminosis A, which causes hair loss.

But here's why hair loss happens - Hypervitaminosis A causes low levels of biotinidase. Biotinidase is an enzyme that regulates biotin. Biotinidase deficiency means biotin deficiency.

An old laboratory study showed that rats fed with low biotin levels lost all their hair, but when once taking high doses of biotin their hair restored.

According to http://www.emedicine.com/PED/topic239.htm : "Although they may be severe, the rash and alopecia typically respond rapidly to biotin administration over days to months.""

Trebor

Reaction score
I went out and bought the Coenzyme A, and as mentioned earlier in the topic I begun by doubling the dose. I take 2 early in the day and 2 toward the end. I take them a 1/2 hour before I eat.

I know I have some Sebum problems. I did not get tons of acne when I was young but I am always oily in certain areas. When I look at pictures I take with others I am always the oiliest. My face and forehead looks oily.

However, sometimes when I get out of the shower, my skin gets really dry and I have to use lotion a lot in some areas. (this is before taking Coenzyme A)

I also bought the Coenzyme B-Complex, but I have not started taking it yet. I am going to wait till I am done with the loading phase of the Coenzyme A.

So far, I have not really noticed anything, but I have only been taking it for 7days.

I also take a Generic one a day multi viatamin.

I also take half of a Proscar everyday.

captain_que

Established Member
Reaction score
I was on roaccutane when I was around 15/16 for severe acne. My face has never looked as bad as while being on it. My face was yellow/blue/red/black... terrible! And sometimes I would get bad chest burn.

However, I´ve always thought that my acne, which I still have and take milder medication for, is related to my premature balding... It has to be in some sense I think, and if there was some way to treat the underlying cause for the acne, I bet the hairloss would stop too.. I´m looking to get a new appointment with a new derm for a prescription for something. I´ll ask about the low accutane dose...
I like this thread! :)

One thing though; if the hairloss is caused by sebum, why is it that it happens in the pattern that we´re all so familiar with?

Hair101

Reaction score
I'm really glad someone brought this topic up as I've been looking for an answer to this question for a long time... Are there other similar threads on Accutane that might be useful?

Let me share my experience with Accutane, hope this will bring some insight for those looking into this regime... (first time posting on this forum btw!)
I have been a diffuse thinner ever since high school (6 years ago), and I only know this because that was when my friends started commenting on my thinning hair. It never really bothered me until about 2 or 3 years ago when it became very noticeable, but since there's no family history of hair loss (all of my grandparents barely have any hair loss) I conveniently ruled out the possibility of hereditary male pattern baldness, and thus never considered using minoxidil or finasteride related meds. At the time I started having severe acne, and after trying many medications with no success, I reluctantly started on high doses of Accutane under the direction of my doctor. The medication started working literally within hours (dried lips, nosebleed), and by the end of the first week I felt like a totally different person. My acne was disappearing, I stopped having oily skin, but the most surprising effect of Accutane was that it had stopped excess sebum production on my scalp. I could easily go 3 or 4 days without washing my hair and it would still look great and smell great, whereas before I couldn't last half a day without my hair becoming flat and oily again.
3 months later I had to be off Accutane as it's unsafe to be taking it continuously for long durations at that dosage. My hair still looked great, and it was noticeably denser than when I just started the med. I didn't think it was due to the medication at that time, but in retrospect I started to think that Accutane had played a big part in stopping the thinning, more specifically it's ability to heavily reduce sebum production. I started thinning again about half a year later after the Accutane effect had started wearing off, and coincidentally the scalp sebum production was back full blown...
Taking high doses of Accutane for short durations is probably a very effective cure for acne, but what about taking low doses of it for a longer duration of time to keep the sebum production in check while promoting a suitable environment for hair regrowth?

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair101, did you have scalp acne before starting accutane? you said that your hair had been thinning since high-school..did you regrow any hair after going on accutane? you said that it looked denser, but did you visibly regrew hair on your temples etc?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Just going to add some PPAR-Alpha agonist pretty soon.. still waiting for my accutane also.. but PPAR-AA is really promising also..PPAR-alpha regulates the expression of genes involved in fatty acid beta-oxidation and is a major regulator of energy homeostasis.

I know 2 supplements do far. Very effective : Sesamin and TTA ( TetradecylThioacetic Acid ). These 2 can be an excellent add-on to your Coenzyme A intake or B5.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No one on this thread knows what there talking about. Especially that egyptian doctor. No wonder he was kicked off the merek team, for being a moron. male pattern baldness isnt caused by sebum.

Androgen attach themselves to the Androgen Receptor on the hair follicles. Thye then enter into the nucleus of the cell where they will stimulate gene transcription. This process has nothing to do with sebum.

Low dose Accutane will not stop this process.

Also if sebum DID cause hairloss, then everyone who has an oily scalp who got hairs transplanted there would lose their new transplanted hairs.

Also why doesnt the hair on the back of the head get effected by sebum too if sebum is the culprit behind male pattern baldness as another poster pointed out?

I also took low dose Accutane at 10mg twice per week and it did NOT stop my hairloss at all.

I cant beleive people are buying into this BS.

If you can take 1 thing from this post let it be this: Androgenetic Alopecia/male pattern baldness?Hairloss is NOT caused by sebum!

Nene

Reaction score
blaze said:
No one on this thread knows what there talking about. Especially that egyptian doctor. No wonder he was kicked off the merek team, for being a moron. male pattern baldness isnt caused by sebum.

Androgen attach themselves to the Androgen Receptor on the hair follicles. Thye then enter into the nucleus of the cell where they will stimulate gene transcription. This process has nothing to do with sebum.

Low dose Accutane will not stop this process.

Also if sebum DID cause hairloss, then everyone who has an oily scalp who got hairs transplanted there would lose their new transplanted hairs.

Also why doesnt the hair on the back of the head get effected by sebum too if sebum is the culprit behind male pattern baldness as another poster pointed out?

I also took low dose Accutane at 10mg twice per week and it did NOT stop my hairloss at all.

I cant beleive people are buying into this BS.

If you can take 1 thing from this post let it be this: Androgenetic Alopecia/male pattern baldness?Hairloss is NOT caused by sebum!

Finally someone with some sense. Are you guys seriously mildly retarded??? You come up with some ridiculous theory about sebum causing hair loss and then will risk your health based on it? Do you think you know better than the scientists who study this stuff? This reminds me of those silly theories people came up with back in the days about hats or masturbation causing hair loss. But you actually buy into it and will take a VERY potent drug to test out this theory. STUPID. I took accutane as a teenager and guess what??? My acne was gone but my hair loss started briefly after that. My skin and hair was less oily, which according to your dumb theory would make me male pattern baldness proof, but no, this is when I started losing my hair. Can your theory explain that??? Unless you have a seirous case of acne, keep away from this stuff! It is a prescription medication for a reason! This isn't some game where you should just try different drugs!

Loster

Reaction score
The people posting their experiences are not asking "will accutane stop my hair loss?" they are in fact reporting that accutane actually did stop their hair loss while they took the medicine. I belive them since it also happened to me when I took 20 mg/day for 9 months.

The mechanism behind it is unknown to me though. I dont belive that sebum itself is the cause of hair loss but it is a fact that the sebaceous glands are rich in 5 alpha reductase. There are lot of sebaceous glands in the scalp and they are connected to the follicles. Reduction of these glands by accutane should therefore theoretically decrease 5 alpha reductase and by that inhibit trasformation to DHT locally.