Accutane a cure

Hair101

Reaction score
I believe not all hairloss can be treated the same way... Accutane might work for some people but not others with a different underlying cause of hairloss...

raj47

Established Member
Reaction score
i have to say i had very bad acne cyst in my back long ago (20 years of age)

still i had scar on my back actually it was about 15mm deep wound from that point my scalp turned into oily

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Bump :hump:

raj47

Established Member
Reaction score
still i took some off the photo that i've not added due to not make confusion
now started my retin-a
will see how it goes and today i've seen shedding of small to medium thick hairs but these are not strong in their roots so probably a telogen phase hairs i believe :innocent:

will see again after 6 month
:sulkoff:
cheers

Attachments

• DSC00323 (WinCE).JPG
    DSC00323 (WinCE).JPG
    11 KB · Views: 1,836
  • DSC00413 (WinCE).JPG
    DSC00413 (WinCE).JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,827
  • DSC00435 (WinCE).JPG
    DSC00435 (WinCE).JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,832
  • DSC00436 (WinCE).JPG
    DSC00436 (WinCE).JPG
    10 KB · Views: 1,827

raj47

Established Member
Reaction score
i have to say i am still getting oil but not that much rate when i had it in feb 2010 ,bit promissing belive me my scalp feels lot better like normal skin like a my donor area ,

have you ever compared your front scalp and donor area ,you can see lot of difference between them

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you guys realize you are experimenting with what is increasingly becoming known as one of the most dangerous drugs ever made available to the public?

The manufacturer has already pulled the drug from the US market because it appears to cause inflammatory bowel disease.

http://www.drugwatch.com/news/2010/06/1 ... -increase/

I took this drug ten years ago and although I do not have inflammatory bowel disease, I do have what could be described as irritable bowel syndrome. It's not that bad, but if I had known that by taking Accutane for six months I would have diarrhea all the time, I probably would have opted not to.

Use your brains, people! It's not worth it to cure your hair loss.

(Oh and by the way, IT DOESN'T ANYWAY!!!)

captain_que

Established Member
Reaction score
dougfunny said:
Do you guys realize you are experimenting with what is increasingly becoming known as one of the most dangerous drugs ever made available to the public?

The manufacturer has already pulled the drug from the US market because it appears to cause inflammatory bowel disease.

I took this drug ten years ago and although I do not have inflammatory bowel disease, I do have what could be described as irritable bowel syndrome. It's not that bad, but if I had known that by taking Accutane for six months I would have diarrhea all the time, I probably would have opted not to.

then what the hell am I going to use to cure my acne...?? :dunno:

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
captain_que said:
dougfunny said:

then what the hell am I going to use to cure my acne...?? :dunno:

Unless you have severe cystic acne antibiotics should suffice. Septra DS being the best in my experience.

If your acne is so bad that you risk permanent disfigurement perhaps the risk of bowel problems is worth it. For most people it is not.

Ferrari-or-Hair?

Reaction score
When I was 17, I was on Accutane for my horrible acne (if you'd like to call it disfiguring... go ahead... it was terrible, I looked like I had measles), I believe 40 mg a day, and it actually turned my hair curly. Almost 7 years later, and I've never had any bowel issues, though I continue to get emails about lawsuits against Accutane for such issues. The only negative side effect I got from it was a little depression that went away when my skin started clearing up. Considering the hundreds or thousands my parents spent on acne medication for me, Accutane was a real life saver as it was the only thing that ever did anything.

Related to hair, it did indeed turn my hair curly for some odd reason, but the real kicker is that it thickened it INCREDIBLY, especially in the areas where I am now having thinning issues. After several months of taking it, I had hair in my temples that was just as thick as the hair in my sideburns. I couldn't get a comb through my hair (which didn't help my depression) because it was so thick and curly. After going off the medication, my hair remained curly and thick for several years. Over time, it slowly faded back to straight hair which is unfortunately much thinner. My hair is 100% straight now except in my sideburn area in front of and behind my ears and on my neck. 3 years ago, my "horseshoe" hair was wavy, but the hair on my head susceptible to balding was becoming straight and thin. That's when and why I started using Rogaine and ultimately Propecia at 22 years old, and I continue to take it to this day. At 25 now, I can't say that the Rogaine or Propecia have done anything compared to Accutane for me.

Unless I'm mistaken, Accutane is currently banned in the US. If it isn't, I would definitely consider going back on it to be a guinea pig and see if it would make my hair grow in thicker again. Though, what worries me, is that it may be for nothing. I was young and still maturing back when I was on it and now I'm an adult. I haven't ever done research into seeing what age group gets the bowel problems from taking it, but I don't think a life time of crapping myself is worth having a few years of thick, curly hair.

My results weren't typical however, my dermatologist still claims I am the only person she ever put on Accutane that ended up with thick curly hair. If I went back on it today... I don't know if it would have the same results.

I located the old comparison I made back in 2002 or 3. I don't know the dates of the photos, but the one on left was from 10th grade (so I was 15) and the one on right was from 12th grade (I was 17). Although there's mousse in my hair in both pictures... I assure you... there's no trickery going on. My hair really turned that annoyingly curly. It was a real mess to deal with, but so incredibly thick.

Keep in mind, that I wasn't having male pattern baldness or anything else when I was 15... nor when I was 17... so you probably can't see any thickness changes in between the pics...

If, for some reason, a bunch of you are interested, I could go through some old floppy disks and see if I can locate more old photos, but I don't know what good it would do anyone.

Attachments

• hair-before-and-after.jpg
    hair-before-and-after.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 333

Ferrari-or-Hair?

Reaction score
Meh... I started getting curious myself and nostalgic so I started looking through the old photos. Those who aren't color blind will notice I used to dye my hair funny colors, particularly an orangey blonde. Natural color is dark brown.

I forgot one major thing:

When I first started taking Accutane, I had a lot of hair loss in the front (where I am NOW having major issues). At one of my visits to my dermatologist, I discussed this with her and she wrote me a prescription for propecia. I didn't fill it, because I researched and found out I'd have to take it FOREVER and it was expensive and not covered by my insurance (Accutane was expensive but covered for the most part). I was going to college as your typical mother-in-debt-for-putting-son-in-college kid, so my mom couldn't afford for me to go on that. I didn't start Propecia until about two years ago when I was 22 or 23.

When my hair transformed into being curly, everything grew back insanely thick. I think that'll be obvious in these pics.

Anyway... that was a fun waste of 2 hours going down memory lane...

Attachments

• accutane.jpg
    accutane.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 666

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Ferrari-or-Hair? said:
Meh... I started getting curious myself and nostalgic so I started looking through the old photos. Those who aren't color blind will notice I used to dye my hair funny colors, particularly an orangey blonde. Natural color is dark brown.

I forgot one major thing:

When I first started taking Accutane, I had a lot of hair loss in the front (where I am NOW having major issues). At one of my visits to my dermatologist, I discussed this with her and she wrote me a prescription for propecia. I didn't fill it, because I researched and found out I'd have to take it FOREVER and it was expensive and not covered by my insurance (Accutane was expensive but covered for the most part). I was going to college as your typical mother-in-debt-for-putting-son-in-college kid, so my mom couldn't afford for me to go on that. I didn't start Propecia until about two years ago when I was 22 or 23.

When my hair transformed into being curly, everything grew back insanely thick. I think that'll be obvious in these pics.

Anyway... that was a fun waste of 2 hours going down memory lane...

WOW really good post bros! Thanks for the pics!

Ferrari-or-Hair?

Reaction score
By the way, I haven't read all of this topic, but I do not believe Accutane is a cure for hair loss. If you're a freak like I apparently am (or was), it can be a huge solution, but I had extremely bad acne. If you aren't having acne and are simply losing your hair... I don't think Accutane is the answer... Although I'd go back on it if it was free... I do not believe it'd be a good idea to do so.

If someone went through the trouble to research the ingredients in Accutane, I'd be very interested to know what other options are available to somewhat make a version of it. I.e. I remember reading somewhere that Accutane had high doses of vitamin A in it. I've been taking vitamin A for several months now, and haven't had the curly hair reemerge. Anybody have any research into this...?

Ferrari-or-Hair?

Reaction score
Just spent the last couple of hours reading the topic in full...

Kind of disappointed that about 15 pages of this topic aren't even about accutane, but on the bright side, the posts inspired me to start taking B5 vitamins. I've been having a few zits on my shoulders and smelly hair when I wake up for the past year... which correspond to my somewhat recent increase in hair thinning and loss... so perhaps the B5/panothenic acid will help me a bit. I never thought that those issues might be related to the hair issues!

You can see in my pictures above that my hair has dried out considerably since I've started dancing twice a week for the past year and a half. It may be fun, helping my overall health, and social life with women, but the stress I'm causing from sweating so much to exhaustion is probably what is ruining my hair.

Anyway... a few other comments...

What's the deal with the lack of photos here? Raj is the first person to actually post any (and it looks like he's having good results!). You guys need to start posting photos if you want anybody to believe your "success" with panothenic acid or accutane.

Reading what few accutane-related posts that are actually in this topic reminded me of when I was on it. I did have the dry lips (use Aquaphor on your lips--it helps a lot) and nose bleed (which persisted for several years) side effects and did require monthly blood work. For what it's worth, I remember my blood work remained good throughout the experience as far as I know.

To prevent the depression Accutane was giving me, my regular doctor put me on Lexapro anti-depressants, which made me gain weight, which made me even more depressed LOL. I gained about 20 pounds, going from 155 to 175 (I'm about 6' tall). Accutane definitely gave me those depressed feelings they warn are a side effect, but they weren't so much I-want-to-kill-myself thoughts... they were I-can't-sleep-because-my-brain-is-making-me-feel-listless-and-bored thoughts.

I recall that Accutane was NOT supposed to be taken for more than about 6 months, as long term use would cause damage to the internal organs. It also causes birth defects and you should not be taking it if having unprotected sex (I always used to laugh at the illustrations on the packaging).... Those of you thinking you can take 10 mg twice a week for long durations are risking your lives, AND if you are actually suffering from acne, I'd assume you're probably taking such a low dose that you're not even going to have any luck in the short term! Go to a dermatologist and get monthly blood work! Accutane is dangerous, don't self-medicate!

Also... although it might not be true... back in the day, I always swore dying my hair would help my hair. From reading this topic, I assume the reason that seemed to be is that the peroxide was probably cleaning a lot of sebum up. Interesting... though not all that effective as you can still see I was a pizza face back then. But after washing the dye out would always make my scalp feel good... I probably should have been using stronger shampoo back then for the same effect.

raj47

Established Member
Reaction score
hey buddy Ferrari

actually I'm thinking something lies between extra sebum and testosterone still i had a oily head most of the times but now I'm taking 40mg per day to reduce it now i can see more shedding on little hair like growing phase hair .

i would like to ask everyone WHY EVERY BALD MEN OR GOING TO BE BALD MEN GETS SWEATS PARTICULARLY ON THEIR HEAD?

so i started to think some relationship with this and searching for young baldies or a accutane guys by the way i got one guy who's father was completely bald at 22 and he is also going to bald at 22 .when he was 19 he had severe acne eventually i met at hospital about 6 years ago to treat his acne on back at the same time head had severe thinning on his Norwood region and i asked what you are looking for to treat this. he said Doctor prescribe accutane i said ok after 7 years i met once it was miracle his still hanging Norwood 2 with good hair.

I'm still had small pimples like pain in my Norwood region if i rub my crown i'm having feeling of heart beat at the head everyone should try this above I've mentioned

we will see what happen after some courses with accutane .and i'll post with pic.

don't forget that i'm putting more weight on accutane i'm trying to avoid more food and doing some fitness activity.

td241

Reaction score
we will see what happen after some courses with accutane .and i'll post with pic.

Any updates raj? I hope you have some news for us. I've been on 20 mg/day but my scalp is still so oily... i'm fearful to increase the dose... but we'll see... updates updates ! :punk:

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
I began accutane 1 month ago, but not for hair issues. I have always had oily skin/hair and the dermatologist said that it would permanently change the way my oil glands work so that I'm not so oily. He wants me on it for 5 months with blood tests at the beginning, 1 month, and 2 month marks to make sure of something staying normal. I'm not sure the strength, but I think it's 20mg. I have also been taking finasteride for 2 months.

About a week in, I noticed my face remained dry throughout the day and my lips were very chapped. It was nothing that chapstick and moisturizer couldn't fix. About 15 days in I started noticing an increase in shedding. It was probably around twice as much as I would normally shed. I also began getting small rashes on my hands which seems to be eczema caused by the pill. Now at 1 month I am dry all over. My hair will stay dry for days when it would normally be greasy in the evenings. I am a little worried about the excess hair loss. I've read from some people that the hair loss is temporary and others said it was permanent. The symptoms all seem to be normal side effects, but I can't lose more hair. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow and might get off accutane before any other damage.

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
Well he convinced me to stay on the pill, but is cutting back my dosage. I was taking 40mg twice a day which he says is recommended for a male. I am now going to once a day every other day and twice a day the rest. Hopefully this will cut down on the dryness and shedding.