ABandInHope's Story - ( 22 / Update Some Success)

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Absolutely terrified...

It killed my libido for the first few months. I could still have sex and had no problems getting it up, I just never wanted to. The more I thought about it the worse it seemed to become to the point where I was on this board every waking hour.

I then took some advise on here to stop reading this site for a few weeks but carry on taking the finasteride.
Two Weeks later I'd stopped thinking about my libido all the time and I was back to what I was before I started on finasteride.

What does this mean?
I'm not really sure. It was either one of two things.
Either my body took 2 months to settle down to the hormone change or more likely I killed my own libido by worrying about it 24/7

I still have slightly water semen but everything else is now back to how it was before I started finasteride.
I've been on it for 7 months now.

Halp

Reaction score
Re: ABandInHope's story

Ive been reading the forums for a few months now and others as well and I really think state of mind has alot to do with side effects. Hell state of mind has alot to do with us being here. If we were all confident enough to play the hand we were dealt no one would be looking for a fix.

Just scared, she wont break up with me cause Im losing my hair, but if my penis aint working shes going to think its her and she wont stick that for very long!

Thanks for your reply though, gives me some hope.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score

like you i spent a good 4-5 months researching finasteride and scaring myself about side effects. i finally decided it was at least worth a try. 2 years later and i still have all the hair i started with and never suffered a single side effect.

finasteride really isn't the scary drug these and other forums make it out to be. birth control messes with your hormones too, but nearly every girl takes it.

i highly suggest you schedule a derm appointment and get a script for finasteride (if you're truly balding). if you start taking it and it doesn't work for you just stop.

good luck!

Halp

Reaction score

treeshrew said:
like you i spent a good 4-5 months researching finasteride and scaring myself about side effects. i finally decided it was at least worth a try. 2 years later and i still have all the hair i started with and never suffered a single side effect.

finasteride really isn't the scary drug these and other forums make it out to be. birth control messes with your hormones too, but nearly every girl takes it.

i highly suggest you schedule a derm appointment and get a script for finasteride (if you're truly balding). if you start taking it and it doesn't work for you just stop.

good luck!

Thanks.

Still havent gotten the courage to go and get it done, once I commit myself to it Im afraid theres no going back. My hair isnt going anywhere major in the next month or so, so Im just gonna continue to think about it and not stress about it. Who knows being bald could work for me, will see how I feel. Some days I really want to take it and try fight it but others I dont really see the big deal. Need to make a decision and commit to it I guess.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: ABandInHope's Story - (22)

When I first stated finasteride back 3 years ago I was scared too by all the fear mongerers on these boards. After a few weeks I was CERTAIN that I was having every side effect in the book. I was about to drop it, but luckily for me, I was persuaded to stick with it by some of the more level headed members here and at HLH. I also thought to myself that I'm either going bald or taking this stuff and dealing with the sides. I chose to stick with the finasteride no matter what. And magically, all the sides simply disappeared after a few more weeks. Was it placebo? was i freaking myself out at first with the help of fear mongerers? F*ck yes.

1 year and a half into finasteride, I added dutasteride to the mix and my hair hasn't looked so good since early college or high school 6 years ago. I have no side effects. no brain fog or any BS, I'm in law school and have no trouble concentrating. When I started finasteride 3 years ago I was in college. I played football and I obviously had to work out a lot to stay in shape. I still do the same w/o regimen and i'm still in very good shape, finasteride didnt make me "soft" or anything. All that is a load of sh*t if you ask me.

My point is, if I would have listened to these mental cases on these forums I'd be here sulking w/o hair too, and blaming the week of finasteride for all my problems. The truth is finasteride is safe and once you stop taking it, any potential sides go away. You really have nothing to lose other than your hair. And IF you do start taking it, my advice is to get of these forums for a few months and just see how you respond w/o retards telling you that you will gets sides. Thats what I did. I took a long break from the forums at first and after I made my decision to stick with it, 8 months later my hair was better than ever. I say give finasteride a shot and try not to freak out about it.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score

yeah, I agree the best thing to do is go to a doctor first. But I gotta say I've never paid any attention to morning wood. I get it every so often I guess, but to focus on random erection and stuff like that, you just have to make sure your not obsessing. I've never had a problem with sexual dysfunction and before taking finasteride I never worried about it one bit, and hence never experienced the side effects.

Before taking finasteride I was mainly worried about the muscle loss, and getting "soft" or getting acne and brain fog. I was absolutely convinced I had all of these negative side effect for the first few weeks. I chilled out and stopped paying so much attention to ridiculous posters and tried to relax about it a bit and they suddenly went away. For me, the sides were absolutely mental. these drugs don't do jack except grow hair for me.

that isn't to say I don't believe that sides are possible. They are possible and it sucks that you have them and I like how you mention that its still worth it to give finasteride a try. Thats all i'm saying, that finasteride deserves a fair shot. Posters like timi and that Fenera guy (i forgot his exact name) are so incredibly ridiculous they really should be banned from these forums. Their sole purpose is to scare new members that don't know anything about the drug into not taking it.

It's incredibly selfish, I've seen their posts. A new guy comes on asking for advice, asking if he should take finasteride. and these guys come and say "finasteride WILL ruin your life and give you irreversible side effects". Thats f*cking bullshit right there. Just b/c finasteride gives one person sides doesnt mean someone else will react the same way. Plus when the new guy starts taking the drug he's in a constant state of fear thinking about whether or not these guys could be right. the sides or placebo effect is magnified and they end up dropping it.

Bryan posted a good study that talked about that effect. To summarize, two groups were given finasteride. but neither were told it was finasteride. the first group was given the drug and told nothing about the sides, the second group was told that it may give you sexual side effects like decreased libido. Group 2 has something like 3 or 4 times the incident of side effects as group 1. I think group 1 was something like 5%, whereas group 2 was at 15-20%. Ill find the study if anyone wants to see it.

Anyway, if you want to save your hair, finasteride is the best route to go, but if you decide to take it try evaluating how it works and the side effect completely on your own.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Thanks Propeciajunkie. Ive been on 5-ar inhibitors for quite awhile and they've been working well but I'm probably gonna have to add minoxidil eventually if I want to see additional regrowth. I hope things are going well with you too.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score

Things go well on my end as well. minoxidil would be a great addition to your regemen IMO.

Halp

Reaction score

Thanks for your replies. It confirms what I already thought about the whole propecia side effect thing, that alot of it was in peoples heads, which is not good for me as I can be a major worry about things like that and create myself problems.

But today I had a huge wake up call, its my birthday this week and my girlfriend wants to take me out and I refused to go. Purely because at the moment I feel so sh*t about my hair that I was afraid someone would notice my receeding hairline. Which is silly I know, as I dont really have anything to be ashamed of but I am ashamed. I promised myself Id never let this get in the way of anything else that was good for me, it clearly is starting to. So, friday I will get an appointment with my GP and discuss my future.

Guess my fight all begins on Friday, I just hope Im one of the lucky ones with no side effects and a good responder. The shedding thing freaks me out and losing 100 hairs in a day will seriously destroy me, at the moment I lose like 15 max. 4 or 5 in the shower, 2 or 3 on the towel, 5 or 6 on my pillow. Yes I do actually count -_-. Just wish I was strong enough to accept it and move on, oh well.

Thanks again for your replies. Will load up some pictures on friday to set my whole thing rolling, hopefully to be a success.

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score

finfighter said:
But Finasteride is a prevenitive treatment, it will not regrow lost hairs, it simply prevents them from falling out

I'm starting to regrow on finasteride only. Many other people do too.
It can take up to a year for this to happen, so it's a much slower process than if you added minoxidil to your regime, but you can definitely regrow from finasteride alone.

Halp

Reaction score

So before I go through with this I just have some questions on what I now think is my biggest fear about the meds, shedding.

Does everyone shed? Is it guaranteed in 3 months from when I start taking finasteride Im going to shed at a rapid rate? Whether it will grow back or not, shedding scares me.
Is it always big sheds? Do they come frequently? My hair is fairly long, If Im going to have to buzz my hair down everytime a shed comes along theres really no point in any of this. I want to take meds to hold onto my hair and my hairstyle, if its going to force me to do something male pattern baldness would force me to do anyway why am I paying for it.

So, does everyone shed? Is it always big sheds?
Going from losing 15 hairs a day at most now, to 100 hairs a day over the course of a few weeks seems suicidal! I cant possibly have enough hair for that!

Thanks.

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score

Not everyone sheds, it varies. You won't know until you try it.

I shed in month 2 and 3. It's hard to tell how many as I buzz my hair short so I didn't see any in the shower, etc. However the shed was enough for me to visibly notice a slight difference.

My advise is, just prepare for a shed. If it happens just ride it out. If it looks crappy then buzz it.
Think of it like this, go through a shed for a few months or have your hair looking like it does during your shed naturally in 12 months time.

The main point is, only you will notice your shed, no one else will see any change.

On a plus point, I think you shed more with finasteride and minoxidil than just finasteride alone. So your shed could be worse than it's possibly going to be.

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score

finfighter said:
Finasteride will not regenerate a dead hair follicle

Neither will minoxidil.
minoxidil will help to regrow miniturised follicles, but some people's hair can recover without it.

Halp

Reaction score

Just a quick update so hopefully anyone who was in the situation I was in 2 weeks ago where I was afraid to take the step can get a push in right direction.

So I've been on finasteride a week now. No side effects at all. I feel no different. More relaxed I guess now that I have taken some form of action. Im alot more patient than I thought I would be. Thought I would be checking mirror every 10 minutes for signs of regrowth but Im not so thats good. All in all, quite pleased with the lack of side effects (still early but its a good start!). Lets just see how the regrowth is in a month or two.

No pictures yet, I want to post the before and after after a month or 2 of treatment so hopefully there's something damn good to see!

Anyway, good luck!

Halp

Reaction score

Quick question...

I noticed along where my hairline used to be, these small maybe 3/4cm in length brown hairs, same colour as my hair but they are quite thin. Im just wondering is that something to be getting excited about? Or is it best to stay cautious and keep an eye on it. Its still very very early, at maybe a 1month and 1 week on finasteride but I did not have those hairs before... There aren't enough of them to completely fill in the lost area but there's definitely something happening.

If anyone could shed some light on what could be happening I would appreciate it. I wish I could show a picture of them but I dropped my camera while trying to take the damn picture and lens is now broken :(

Just a better description: The hairs are small and thin, brown in colour slightly lighter than my hair colour but thats maybe because they are quite thin. Theres alot of them about the same length, just under 1cm. I know they were not there before I started treatment. They are definitely outside my current hairline, by maybe up to 2.5cm or so but they dont go all the way into where my hairline originally was. Can I expect these to grow out into normal hairs?

Just thought I would add in. I had a big 1 month shed from finasteride. Well I say big, lasted maybe 2 days and like 60 to 80 hairs fell out. Now when I shower I lose like, 4 to 5 which is down from the usual 10 or so but I suppose losing hair daily is inevitable. I know that the hair that falls out is all one colour, no loss of colour near the bud and it appears to be of the same thickness so I guess thats just the natural cycle?

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score

I very much doubt these hairs are from finasteride, but never say never.

Hair follicles go through 3 month cycles. They grow, last for 3 months and then fall out to be replaced by a new hair.
When they stop getting attacked by DHT they stop miniturazing. If you're one of the lucky ones when your hair falls out the new hair which replaces it is slightly thicker and slightly stronger.

It's a slow process but over time, perhaps 3 or 4 cycles, the hair can become noticeably thicker. It's this length of time taken which leads me to think any changes in hair thickness won't be noticeable after 1 month.

Halp

Reaction score

Hi, so been on finasteride about 3 months now? I dont really know. I dont keep track anymore. Today has been the first time I been thinking about hairloss. I just get up take the 1/4 of my pill in the morning and go to work. Telling myself its all working.

So, since I never uploaded base pictures I will do it now. These were taken about 3 weeks into starting finasteride. All taken with flash.

http://img691.imageshack.us/i/76819928.jpg/
http://img85.imageshack.us/i/91418132.jpg/
http://img709.imageshack.us/i/79436048.jpg/
http://img339.imageshack.us/i/94938158.jpg/
http://img69.imageshack.us/i/47343090.jpg/
http://img155.imageshack.us/i/28947256.jpg/

My hair is wet in all those apart from the 4th and 5th. The 5th concerns me a bit because it looks like I havent lost much at all but from what I can remember both were taken on the same day. The wet ones during the day and the dry ones later on when my hair had dried so I think its just the lighting and my hair being a mess thats playing in my favour. Still a bit concerned.

These next ones are from today. Hair is dry and its bright. All taken with flash.

http://img59.imageshack.us/i/54673274.jpg/
http://img413.imageshack.us/i/60747546.jpg/
http://img28.imageshack.us/i/69239540.jpg/
http://img341.imageshack.us/i/27942107.jpg/

I really wish I could confidently say that there has been no change but the 4th and 5th of the base ones seem to look alot better to me. I hope Im wrong. Appreciate your opinions.

Thanks for your time as always. :)