Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh...

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
Freestyle said:
Dinzy said:
Freestyle

How far into your treatments was your shed? I had one at the onset probably from minoxidil and now I am having another at the 6 month mark. Yeah things may be slightly worse than baseline for me, but I think I am responding and that is all I can expect this early into my treatments.

I had a shed at roughly the 7th month mark on Propecia. From other users posting their experiences, it sounds about accurate that a shed typically occurs anywhere between 6-10 months. Not everyone gets them, but this timeframe sounds about accurate for those who do.

If you think you're responding, then you probably are...especially considering the distorted view hair loss sufferers have of their hair and any improvements.

Take pictures every couple of months.

And stick with it. Don't buy into these scare tactics.

I don't buy into these scare tactics, in fact I am taking an active roll in discrediting the posters wherever I can. There is no need to bring this sh*t here to freak out people that otherwise would take action or to get them to drop treatments or something.

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:58 pm, at
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... c&start=10
Freestyle said:
I have had regrowth after a big shed. Great regrowth. In fact, I try and mention it in every thread I post in if there's room for it.

hmm...but in the regrowth poll you wrote the following...

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:50 pm , at
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... 503#185503
Freestyle said:
I'm not even comfortable posting my vote, because I'm only seeing the first stages of regrowth after a shed and don't want to put a vote in saying that I only have small regrowth.

dude, unless u regrew in less than two hours, i'd say u fucked up. Please don't lie, even if it's for a good cause. It's posts like these that got us all suspicious about the validity of regrowth in the first place, and unless u have a good explanation your credibility is like zero now.

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
The first stages ARE great regrowth. I went through a 2 week shed, and now small hairs are popping up everywhere -- even in the receded spots. I see more new hairs coming through every day.

In a month, I'd feel 100% confident in voting in the poll that I havehad large amounts of regrowth. But it's the early stages, and what's coming through is very promising.

So put your maghnifying glass away, Sherlock. There's no conspiracy here.

Go bald, man. It's like you almost have a hard-on to go bald. Why should I give a sh*t about you? You and Jeffsss aren't interested in listening to the facts anyway, so just f*** off and go bald quietly.

jeffsss

Reaction score
Freestyle said:
The first stages ARE great regrowth. I went through a 2 week shed, and now small hairs are popping up everywhere -- even in the receded spots. I see more new hairs coming through every day.

In a month, I'd feel 100% confident in voting in the poll that I havehad large amounts of regrowth. But it's the early stages, and what's coming through is very promising.

Go bald, man. It's like you almost have a hard-on to go bald. Why should I give a $#iT about you? You and Jeffsss aren't interested in listening to the facts anyway, so just f*** off and go bald quietly.

You had a 2 week shed from minoxidil.. NOT PROPECIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

show me a study that says you are supposed to lose your hair more rapidly after starting propecia.

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
jeffsss said:
Freestyle said:

Go bald, man. It's like you almost have a hard-on to go bald. Why should I give a $#iT about you? You and Jeffsss aren't interested in listening to the facts anyway, so just f*** off and go bald quietly.

You had a 2 week shed from minoxidil.. NOT PROPECIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

show me a study that says you are supposed to lose your hair more rapidly after starting propecia.

Can you read?!

I had a shed that LASTED 2 weeks. I didn't get the shed AT 2 weeks.

I got my Minoxidil shed after 3 weeks on treatment, but it wasn't that bad. The Propecia shed came in about month 7 and LASTED 2 weeks.

Why should I dig up studies and literature for you?! You're the one who refuses to listen to the studies and reports, and instead wants to hear common experiences! And now you want studies proving that Propecia does cause sheds?!

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
Freestyle said:

Execuse me for saying so, but what kinda of bullshit are u trying to pull here? U don't want to report because u have at the moment small regrowth, that's what u wrote. Yet u say u have had great regrowth, oh execuse me, beginning stages of great regrowth...which is it?

Is it so hard to believe the possibility of non occuring regrowth? Fear mongering is a word u were kind enough to introduce to belittle and distract our concerns...that very few people are reporting regrowth in this forum (which is a fact!). We're just asking why...and here u come with your "have faith dude", like we haven't heard that before :eek: . Well, we want to take it a step forward and hear WHY we should have faith and not just fly blind like a couple of cult followers.

And your constant "get off it dude and go bald" sounds like a threat...playing on our fears to make your case...it's not helping, just makes u sound like an a**h**. We know that we don't have a choice, u don't have to remind us that, but don't stop us from asking why we should have faith. Give us a reason instead of taking your own similar fears out on us.

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
Bash said:
Freestyle said:

Execuse me for saying so, but what kinda of bullshit are u trying to pull here? U don't want to report because u have at the moment small regrowth, that's what u wrote. Yet u say u have had great regrowth, oh execuse me, beginning stages of great regrowth...which is it?

Is it so hard to believe the possibility of non occuring regrowth? Fear mongering is a word u were kind enough to introduce to belittle and distract our concerns...that very few people are reporting regrowth in this forum (which is a fact!). We're just asking why...and here u come with your "have faith dude", like we haven't heard that before :eek: . Well, we want to take it a step forward and hear WHY we should have faith and not just fly blind like a couple of cult followers.

And your constant "get off it dude and go bald" sounds like a threat...playing on our fears to make your case...it's not helping, just makes u sound like an a**h**. We know that we don't have a choice, u don't have to remind us that, but don't stop us from asking why we should have faith. Give us a reason instead of taking your own similar fears out on us.

You will have faith on Propecia because it is an FDA approved drug that was tested and trialed under strict conditions and great expense for the specific use as a male hair loss treatment.

In the studies, most people kept their hair and some kept and regrew.

Sheds are normal, and your hair grows back after them. A hair follicle does not drop out and die during a shed -- it forces a hair out that was due to fall out soon anyway. the follicle is still alive and is already working on pushing a new hair on up in a few weeks time.

Don't put your faith in Propecia if you don't want to. Put your faith in science and mother nature.

Hair does not shed spontaneously, never to return, unless you're the victim of some horrible disease or have been exposed to radiation or something.

These are sound scientific facts. Do yourself a service and read the very first topic in this forum about shedding (by Cassin). It will go into greater depth on what happens during and after a shed.

And if you still don't want to accept the facts after that, then get off Propecia and go bald.

Nobody is obligated to hold your hand through this experience. This forum is here as a privelige, not a right. And if you want to ignore what everybody is telling you, when you have expressly asked their opinions, then you will not be a functional member.

And don't try and twist my words around and make me into a liar, just because you and your little friend have no comprehension skills.

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
As an outside observer, someone who has never taken propecia or minoxidil, I have to say that I certainly believe there is some truth to these people's concerns.

- If you use moisturiser too regularly your skin needs more of it.
- If you use eyedrops too frequently your eyes become dryer.
- If you wash your hair every day it becomes greasier
- If you work out you build muscle

There must be a billion examples of this type of thing. The human body finds a way of overcompensating for anything artificial that is being done to it. It's more or less acknowledged that Propecia eventually loses its effectiveness due to the body overcompensating, in precisely the same way as these other examples.

If people are shedding more on Propecia, it would seem obvious that their bodies too could be overcompensating by producing additional DHT (or in some other way). To take the "working out" analogy; Someone who hits the gym every day in the hope of weakening himself might find the opposite happens.

Perhaps Merck should work on a medication designed to increase hairloss - then perhaps the body may overcompensate by growing more hair. This would be more akin to bodybuilding!

Propecia is not for everyone in my opinion.

souldoctor

Reaction score
i've been reading through this post...the question seems to be this, does propecia cause sheds that don't grow back?

well okay, i'm a medical student, i've done dermatology, and being an male pattern baldness sufferer i've read the hair cycle over and over, i've read about 5 alpha reductase, finasteride, the lot....and what I believe is this..

- Freestyle is scientifically correct in stating that propecia, or anything other drug etc CANNOT cause a 'permanent' loss...only SCARRING alopecias result in destruction of the follicle, not non-scarring alopecias such as male pattern baldness, or telogen effluvium etc...so in theory, any hairs kicked out by propecia should be able to grow back no problems...

***BUT....the scary thing is... and judging from my own experience so far, and from what others seem to be experiencing, the most likely explanation for "non-regrowth" etc, is this...

-propecia CAN cause a temporary shed...but, when those shedded hairs do start growing back, by the time they've taken to actually grow to a decent length, they simply get caught up in the next shed, and it just seems like constant shedding and no progress...or even worse, and what I seem to be having at the moment is this - the shedded hairs begin to regrow, but get shedded before they've even grown to a centimetre or so! I'm saying this because in my current shed, i'm losing not just 'old thin pale' hairs, but also some new-looking, dark, thick hairs..which i assume were healthy and propecia-enhanced for the limited span that they stayed on my head, but got unfortunately caught in the tide of the new shed and got kicked out before they could grow properly...

obviously this won't apply to everyone - for some, the propecia shedding cycle might be timed just right so that although you get some periods of loss, you also get some good thickening occasionally...for others, it might just be constant random shedding, and a bit of short-lived and frustrating regrowth that gets shed again very quickly before its had a chance to be of any help cosmetically...i believe that this situation IS possible, and might be what's going on for some. This situation could also stabilise eventually however, so need to be totally alarmed yet....but if the cycling/shedding remains uncoordinated for a long period of time, then it's difficult to say how much improvement will be eventually noticed by using propecia...

this is all just my own theory, although i think its a reasonable explanation for what people here seem to be considering "permanent sheds"...