A trillion fears about taking the hair transplant Plunge. Please help me!

s.a.f

Reaction score
Make sure you go for a consult with an ethical well respected surgeon though. Infact go to more than one. But still the pics dont look good and without doing anything to prevent further loss .... :shakehead:

Thinneritgoes!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wait a second, how is this guy fat!?

He looks to be thin actually. If you're judging off his forehead in his pics, that is what happens when you recede and lose hair, your forehead looks bigger. He's not fat.

It's not like working out is going to make him lose forehead.

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
hey Scot,

sorry I don't have any options for you, I'm in the same boat. minoxidil isn't working anymore and finasteride caused too many sides. my input is - yes, .25mg of finasteride is supposed to be as effective as 1mg, but sides are also the same. I found out the hard way. kept trying lower and lower doses, even .125. it's not worth it, sides never went away. if you already know that finasteride will be a problem, stay away. and for the record, your hair doesn't look that bad to me. it's a good color for keeping it short. I don't like the whole shaving the head thing. I think I'll go with a short buzz, close to what you have in your pics, but shorter. and wigs???? come on. I know this sucks, for me too. but don't go there. give a different type of minoxidil a try and stick with it. Dr Lee's are less greasy, but still greasy in a way. never tried the foam, so maybe you can do that. I had good success with minoxidil for a few years. really. no longer though, might need to buzz it by next summer.

Balding Scot

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the new responses guys.

rkim -- Which side effects did you maintain despite lowering your finasteride dose?

I've heard from several people that dropping from 1mg to 0.25mg reduced their sides to virtually nothing, so I'm getting mixed reports on all of that.

It seems like finasteride is my only hope, and i was about to give 0.25mg a shot when I read what you wrote. Agghh!

Though I am going to try Rogaine foam now too, I think. Might as well. My plan was to bite the bullet, try the lower dose of finasteride, combined with the minoxidil.

Though considering the way my schedule works though, i'll probably only be able to do the rogaine once a day.

s.a.f

Reaction score
minoxidil alone is no real solution, it does nothing to combat the actual cause of m.p.b.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
you could try dutas, some that got sides from finasteride didnt on dutas..
Just a thought

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
I really don't agree with what most people are saying here.

Look - if H&W told you are a candidate and they can fill things in nicely, then they probably can and everyone else here doesn't know what they are talking about.

Yes, some of your donor *appears* thin, but its a damn picture. Go to consults in person, and send your pics EVERYWHERE. See what everyone says. I've had people tell me i have sh*t donor hair and i'm not a candidate, and others tell me that I have ideal characteristics. All doctors told me i'm at the very least an average - good candidate (but of course they have their agenda as well). You need to see someone in person.

First thing is first, re-send to Hasson & Wong and see what they say.

Next, look into FUE. I'm doing this now as well. Look at Umar, HDC, Shapiro, ********, Cole , and Feller. Research their work. Look at it closely. Also send your pics out to ALL of them. With this route, you avoid the scar.. and you still have some sort of option to buzz down in case it doesn't work out in the end. I'm looking down this route as i'm too scared about future hair loss.

In regards to meds.. drop the finasteride to .5mg and see if things are ok.. if not, drop down to .25mg. Keep on the Nizoral. Get on minoxidil Foam ASAP. Perhaps try topical spironolactone from doctor Lee (5%). That's all you can do in terms of meds. I'm way too scared of dutasteride to even suggest it to anyone else.

How long are you expecting to have your hair?

Balding Scot

Reaction score
Man, that reply made me feel like there could still be some hope. Thanks so much.

I think I'm going to get on 0.25 finasteride right away. I can't afford to suffer sides, and if 0.5 were to give me sides, I'd freak out and jump off forever, so I figure I should try 0.25 and see where that gets me.

minoxidil foam -- What about the massive shedding that this apparently causes?

Now, as for the Hair transplants ... the benefits of FUE are what exactly? I had been under the impression that for guys with limited donor hair, FUE is less ideal because it yields less... but maybe I'm mistaken. Are there any top-tier FUE guys in Canada, or are all of those guys American/overseas?

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the positivity.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Balding Scot said:
Man, that reply made me feel like there could still be some hope. Thanks so much.

I think I'm going to get on 0.25 finasteride right away. I can't afford to suffer sides, and if 0.5 were to give me sides, I'd freak out and jump off forever, so I figure I should try 0.25 and see where that gets me.

minoxidil foam -- What about the massive shedding that this apparently causes?

Now, as for the Hair transplants ... the benefits of FUE are what exactly? I had been under the impression that for guys with limited donor hair, FUE is less ideal because it yields less... but maybe I'm mistaken. Are there any top-tier FUE guys in Canada, or are all of those guys American/overseas?

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the positivity.

And you can always try dutas every other day if finasteride gives sides, many have good results on that... and dont get sides.
B/C dutasteride and finasteride are 2 difrent drugs .

s.a.f

Reaction score
Balding Scot said:

The main difference between FUE and strip is practicality if you need high numbers of grafts the FUE is extremly unpractical. Strip is much much cheaper and quicker.

I'm not totally sure but my estimate is:
7-10,000 grafts strip will cost $15 - $20k and can be done in a day.
7-10,000 grafts FUE will cost $40 - $60k and take at least a week.

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
You will just not be able to get the same quality of results with FUE , I fear. Some FUE doctors deny this, but who knows.

You cannot get a megasession.. (well you can but its risky in my opinion). So the process is longer.. you will need a few procedures.. yield may be worse.. so on and so forth. And it is much more expensive 2X +...

baldin_dude

Reaction score
Scot,

You said you looked bad when you shaved your head. I see from your pics (and I might be wrong) that you have a weak chin/flab under neck. Maybe something a 2k chin implant/fat suction from neck that can help. Bald head with a firm jaw line is different from a bald head with a weak chin. If implant not an option, try growing a goatee to give the illusion of a firmer chin.

Personally for me keeping a buzz cut(very very short) with a regimen of propecia and Rogaine has worked very well. I was thinking of hair transplant around 28, but kept plugging away on and off over the years with Rogaine and later combined with Propecia. While I've still lost hair and finally (after 10 years now) I probably need to have hair transplant, at least I've held off so far. I expected to have hair only on my sides but still have significant hair on top of my head, even though my hairline in the front has clearly receded. Delay hair transplant as long as you can. When going for hair transplant, aim for minimal results as you're still very young, and might need more procedures as your non transplanted hair fall out later.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
you can get megasessions with fue, there are some that do 4000 grafts in 2 days, but these drs only do fue and are specialized in only doing this.
+ they have 8 workers/assistents that specialice in difrent fields of the surgery.
But yes strip goes faster still, but there is longer recovery and alsow a chanse for some bad nerve damage in the back of youre head.
But we are now talking about surgery, so there are always risks.

Balding Scot

Reaction score
i think the price of FUE is just impossible for me to stomach.

Hasson and Wong seem to think they could make quite a difference for me. I'm waiting to hear back again for further details about how they'd avoid shock death, since i'm a diffuse thinner ... but god, it'd be so good to have hair again.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
If H&W say they can give you good results that is VERY good news.

The pros are the one's who have to give you the information you are asking for IMHO.

If H&W didn't think you were a good candidate, they'd tell you right up front. They are a reputable clinic IMHO.

Balding Scot

Reaction score
You don't think that, just like every other business, they'll exaggerate my potential results in order to make a sale? Those in the cosmetic surgery business don't exactly have the best reputation of being frank and honest.

Based on what they told me last year, they felt I had "average" and "useable" donor hair, with 4000 grafts available for the first session, and a bank of around 3000-4000 for touchups later. I was surprised to hear this, as I thought I was pretty thin all around.

Now I'm just waiting to hear back as I've sent more recent photos, and also wanted to know about the effect of shock loss/death on my existing hair, since most of the operation would focus on the top of my head which is diffusely thin and has a very uniform amount of thin hair.

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
First of all.. whoever suggested a chin transplant, forget it! You don't want to start going down this route of altering your features. I knew someone who got jaw work done, it looks weird as hell! completely unnatural (as it should), even though he had a top doctor doing it.

In regards to H&W - yes, i do think they are one of the most ethical around BUT still may want to just make a sale. I do think they will turn you down if they think the after result will not be good.. but will they turn you down if they think 10 years down the line you may not look good.. possibly not. They aren't god, and they don't know what will come. They will just make the assumption that meds will hold your ground, even though that may not happen.

Balding Scot

Reaction score
I wish it wasn't so black and white in everyone's minds. The science can't possibly be that simple. If I adopt an alternative regemin to try to keep my existing hair intact, even if i don't achieve regrowth from it, at least i keep it together.

Surely not everyone that has a successful hair transplant is on propecia?

I've mentioned it like eighty times in this thread -- I can't go on Propecia, it causes massive side effects, my body doesn't tolerate it at all.

Sometimes it seems like people push Finasteride on people so hard on this board, you wonder if it's full of Merck operatives.

s.a.f

Reaction score
You're failing to see the obvious.
Fact: finasteride/dutasteride are the only reliable ways to combat M.P.B. And even they are not garanteed to work.
Fact : You will continue to go bald if you dont use them.