A serious note to any youngster in a dilemma to start Finasteride cuz of side effects

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Either way, since fat cells produce estrogen, having less fat is better, regardless of whether you take finasteride or not.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any studies?

Seriously?

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=198993
Effect of Lifestyle Changes on Erectile Dysfunction in Obese MenA Randomized Controlled Trial
Lifestyle changes are associated with improvement in sexual function in about one third of obese men with erectile dysfunction at baseline.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0026049581901025
Obese young men have elevated plasma estrogen levels but obese premenopausal women do not
The obese men showed significant elevations of both E1 (67 pg/ml versus 49 pg/ml control; P < 0.005) and E2 (37 pg/ml versus 28 pg/ml; P < 0.005),

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/jcem-48-4-633
Increased Estrogen Production in Obese Men
Serum estrone (E,) and 17β-estradiol (E2) were noted to be 2-fold elevated in a group of morbidly obese men. Urinary E1 and E2 production rates were elevated in proportion to the degree of obesity, with values as high as 127 and 157 μg/day, respectively. -

Given these factors it seems very likely that the probability of side effects from finasteride increases with body fat percentage.

ibulicious9955@gmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont even see Finasteride mentioned anywhere in the study.

- - - Updated - - -

Man look, I know Finasteride causes an increase in the estrogen levels in the body. But that is very negligible. At least that's what I have read from studies.
The conversion is more for the people who are genetically predisposed to high conversion of estrogen.

If you have any proved clinical study relating Finasteride with high increase in the level of estrogen then, by all means you are most welcome to share it.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I dont even see Finasteride mentioned anywhere in the study.

- - - Updated - - -

Man look, I know Finasteride causes an increase in the estrogen levels in the body. But that is very negligible. At least that's what I have read from studies.
The conversion is more for the people who are genetically predisposed to high conversion of estrogen.

If you have any proved clinical study relating Finasteride with high increase in the level of estrogen then, by all means you are most welcome to share it.

From Merck's own Propecia pamphlet:

Mean circulating levels of testosterone and estradiol were increased by approximately 15% as compared to baseline, but these remained within the physiologic range.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
And I quote 'Remained in the physiologic range.'
But I do agree to some degree that there is elevated estrogen. Fortunately it remains in the physiological range.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to your lifestyle - your diet, exercise routines and life habits.

15% is 15%. For the majority of people its negligible but for those with naturally high estrogen levels it could cause problems.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
On second thought - now that I think about it I believe that on average, I see less FAT bald people as compared to THIN bald people. Do you think maybe the excess of estrogen is protecting them against baldness somewhat? As we know it's very good at stopping and reversing hair loss (hence why women and transgenders have so much resistance and success, respectively).

Obviously excess estrogen in a man is prolly not good anywhere else but you know, speaking strictly hair-wise here... could be possible.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Probably a stupid quetion but are Finasterde and Propecia the same or two different treatments. If they are different which is better/more effective?

ibulicious9955@gmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
Probably a stupid quetion but are Finasterde and Propecia the same or two different treatments. If they are different which is better/more effective?

Hahaha its the same,mate. Finasteride is the actual name of the drug. Propecia is just the trade name of the drug Finasteride.
It is FDA approved for hair loss.

bwralston

Reaction score
Thanks for the positive post. Side effects are a scary proposition when dealing with any drug, but that's why we are here right? To talk about them and make sure we are navigating hair loss safely!

mrkite

Reaction score
OP, just because you've been on finasteride for three weeks and haven't got side effects doesn't mean you could never get them. Sometimes they creep up on you later on.

ibulicious9955@gmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive post. Side effects are a scary proposition when dealing with any drug, but that's why we are here right? To talk about them and make sure we are navigating hair loss safely!

Agreed.

- - - Updated - - -

OP, just because you've been on finasteride for three weeks and haven't got side effects doesn't mean you could never get them. Sometimes they creep up on you later on.

Maybe they do. But side effects(about 95%) are mostly likely to occur in the first three weeks only cuz that's the time your body is actually adapting to the dht inhibition. But unlike others on this forum I am actually positive about Finasteride and don't keep my mind in a constant worry about side effects.

Besides the post isn't about me or my experience. I just shared that stuff cuz I thought it would be nice to. My point is there are actually millions of teens on it using the drug safely and have no idea that such forums exist.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Would love to know where you're getting these numbers from. Could you post them?

He's been talking out his backside for the entirety of the thread lol. While I think everyone who is losing hair and wants to keep it should try an AA, ibulicious9955@gmail.com is not doing a very good job of selling it. No, millions of teenagers are not on Finasteride and that's because it's a prescription drug and most doctors/dermatologists who know anything about hair loss at all, would not prescribe finasteride to someone who is potentially still in puberty. You won't get anywhere by spewing out rubbish, it's pathetic and just makes your argument look flawed.

ibulicious9955@gmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
He's been talking out his backside for the entirety of the thread lol. While I think everyone who is losing hair and wants to keep it should try an AA, ibulicious9955@gmail.com is not doing a very good job of selling it. No, millions of teenagers are not on Finasteride and that's because it's a prescription drug and most doctors/dermatologists who know anything about hair loss at all, would not prescribe finasteride to someone who is potentially still in puberty. You won't get anywhere by spewing out rubbish, it's pathetic and just makes your argument look flawed.
My uncle is a dermatologist and he keeps telling me about how many young boys around the age 17-20 come to him with hair loss problems. He prescribes them Finasteride only.
No man I ain't doing **** for selling any product. Just saying what I have read from studies and these forums. If you start balding, you are most probably done with puberty.

And on a serious note, I am not trying to get anywhere by spewing rubbish. I just found Finasteride helpful and also want to help others who are worried because of taking the drug. If you can't agree with what facts are, please don't spread negativity here.
Have you used Finasteride BTW?

- - - Updated - - -

Would love to know where you're getting these numbers from. Could you post them?

No offence but could you please stop acting oversmart. It isn't getting you anywhere.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3481923/

'The side effects occur early in treatment.'

I am aware that it can occur later. I am not denying that fact. But most of these occur early. That number was posted by some guys thread I can't recall now. If I do happen to come across it then I'll post it here.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
My uncle is a dermatologist and he keeps telling me about how many young boys around the age 17-20 come to him with hair loss problems. He prescribes them Finasteride only.
No man I ain't doing **** for selling any product. Just saying what I have read from studies and these forums. If you start balding, you are most probably done with puberty.

And on a serious note, I am not trying to get anywhere by spewing rubbish. I just found Finasteride helpful and also want to help others who are worried because of taking the drug. If you can't agree with what facts are, please don't spread negativity here.
Have you used Finasteride BTW?

I'm not sure what your problem is but you missed literally every point of my post. First off, I'm agreeing with you, I think everyone balding should try an AA, that doesn't mean that I am going to go onto the forums and spread lies just to get people to start finasteride. I don't care if people do/don't start it, it's your decision and doesn't affect me. Saying your uncle is a dermatologist. Really? That makes him a reliable source to state that millions of teens use finasteride? :doh:

I know you're not trying to sell anything, it's a phrase meaning you are doing a poor job of persuading people that you're right. No, if you start balding you may not be done with puberty, your statement is entirely false. Most men are finished with puberty by the time they start balding but most men bald when they are past 25. Puberty can last up to the age of 21.

I understand you feel strongly about finasteride and you want to tell other people it's worth giving a go, I agree it is worth a shot. But you shouldn't get your point across by lying and trying to deceive people, regardless of what you say finasteride is a dangerous drug. Merck did more than a few sketchy things to get propecia to market. It is up to the individual to weigh the risks and the benifits involved before making the decision. You're not helping anyone make that decision with this thread.