A serious note to any youngster in a dilemma to start Finasteride cuz of side effects

ibulicious9955@gmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am 18 years old. I have been experiencing moderate thinning for the two years now. I was told Finasteride was always the first line of defence. But I was also told that at such a young age Finasteride could shrink my penis, it could make my balls fall off and would kill my chance of bieng with a woman.
So I began using Rogaine with which I had almost a full recovery for 7 months. Lost all gains after that. I felt helpless. I was too scared to take Finasteride. Like petrified.
But I realised that if there was a slightest chance of keeping my hair, it was with Finasteride. Thanks to the Almighty, supportive members of this forum like 'zzzzz', 'agustin ajauro', 'ajaxx', 'abdo123' and 'pequod', I finally made up my mind to start Finasteride with a low dosage of 0.25mg.

I went on 0.25mg for 3 days just to see how it went. All was good. Since there is negligible difference between dht inhibition by 0.25 and 1mg I felt like a naive pussy who gave into the fear mongering. I hopped onto the 1mg dosage and have been on it now for at least 3weeks. The only side effect I have is super increase in libido.

Guys, trust me Finasteride has an amazing safety profile. You have a more chance of getting sides by an aspirin rather than Finasteride. This dosent mean there are no people with side effects. They are a tiny minority compared to the vast majority of people taking Finasteride without side effects. And the people who get the sides are mostly predisposed to factors like ED, low semen etc. I mean they are actually gonna experience that at some point in their lives, Finasteride just gives the push of the cliff.

Don't listen to the people online spreading **** about Finasteride just cuz it didn't work for them. Take the drug and just go on with your life. Don't be paranoid about the side effects. If you do so, you will get them psychologically. Dont listen to the loud vocal minority when there is a HUGE silent majority. FINASTERIDE IS THE BEST CHANCE OF KEEPING THE HAIR YOU HAVE TODAY FOR A LONG TIME.

START NOW.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree, I wish I started in 2012 and not 2015. Still not too far gone, but it could have been a lot better.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score

P.S. I had sides in first weeks like sensitivity and burning in chest area, but they went away later.

ibulicious9955@gmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
There are approximately 100 reasons for burning in the chest area. Don't attribute it to Finasteride.
Increased sensitivity and stuff isn't a side effect of Finasteride.

jorgedudicoff

Reaction score
Thanks for the post, have been struggling with this for a LONG time now. On your note about being predisposed to ED, low semen, is there any reeeal way to check for this before? And I think that atleast for the most part, if you are predisposed and finasteride worsens it, 99.999% of the time it will recover after quitting

ibulicious9955@gmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
Bro at the end of the day there is one question you gotta ask yourself - Is your hair more precious to you than the risk of side effects suffered by a microscopic population using this drug.

Look man, I can count the number of people who say that they are having permanen side effects from finasteride. If you are well and healthy, have no vitamin deficiencies, are on no other medications, them I guess you are normal.
If the side effects don't go after you stop Finasteride, that means it wasn't Finasteride causing it.
The main reason why people blabber about getting sides is because once they take the drug they can't do anything but get paranoid about side effects. Even if there is a small muscular pain in the abdomen or somewhere, these fear mongers discontinue the drug, come on these forums and say 'Oh **** Finasteride ruined my life.'
Take the drug and just go about your life man. AND STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT. 90% O PEOPLE WHO TAKE FINASTERIDE KEEP THEIR HAIR AND THICKEN MOST OF IT.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
OK so - while I agree that fear mongering doesn't help anyone, I also think one has to keep a realistic perception of the effects of taking a drug that changes vital body systems.

So while you shouldn't go out there looking and expecting you are going to have side effects, you should make careful, objective observations of how things are developing.

Here is my example case: by "burning and sensations in chest area", I meant my nipples became very puffy and irritated for the first week or two - most likely caused by the estrogen increase of finasteride. Someone would get scared at this and consider that it could be developing of gyno, which I thought as well. But after 2 weeks, probably as the testosterone increase offset the estrogen, all that disappeared, and I no longer have those side effects. But if it kept going or gotten worse I definitely would have considered quitting.

Moral of the story: stay objective and observe what happens. Don't panic or think too much about any outcome until you see how your body reacts to the drug. That is the only sensible thing to do.

ibulicious9955@gmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
Wt hahahahahhahahaha this really cracked me up!!
Gynecomastia takes a long time to develop man. Not two or three days. Chill. And just for the record, gyno is the rarest sides of Finasteride.

But the moral of the story is true man. At the end of the day you have gotta be observative.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I am glad you found that funny :p Obviously I didn't think you were going to grow breasts in 2 weeks, but I thought it could be one of the beginning symptoms you know.

Anyway, I am glad it stopped, that's my point. Even if something bad happens, wait, it might stop after a while and you can continue taking the drug.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Wt hahahahahhahahaha this really cracked me up!!
Gynecomastia takes a long time to develop man. Not two or three days. Chill. And just for the record, gyno is the rarest sides of Finasteride.

But the moral of the story is true man. At the end of the day you have gotta be observative.

gyno is not the rarest side of finasteride, pfs is. Gyno is real but like Whatevr said the increase in estrogen is so little it either stabilizes real quick or goes down (latter is what happened in my case)

Ajaxx

Reaction score
If it works for you and you've got 0 side effects then that's great, good for you. There's no way for someone to know that they won't be one of the few people that get PFS or any other rare side effects though, just because it doesn't happen to most people it doesn't mean that it won't happen to you.

Honestly I hope the day comes where a more rational method comes out and we can look back on finasteride and say "Jesus, what were the FDA thinking?" 'til then taking finasteride is a gamble, even if the odds are well in your favor, gambling is still gambling. FYI I'm one of those youngsters in this dilemma and even if I took finasteride without any sides I still wouldn't feel right about it, something irks me the wrong way about messing with my hormones. That's just my take on it anyway.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for the information.

I'm in the early stages of hair loss, maybe NW2 or NW2.5, it's hard to tell since my hair is extremely curly. All noticeable thinning is in the front, whereas the crown seems pristine.

I'm waiting to start propecia until I lose more weight. I don't want side effects, and I understand that the severity of side effects is expected to correlate with body fat. I've already lost ~40 lbs since April for other reasons, once I lose 20 more, which should take about three months, I'll start including finasteride. I expect finasteride will work a lot better, and take a lot less effort, than my current regimen.

I understand, based on the information I've read on this forum in the past few months, that finasteride only buys five years. I don't want to be on finasteride forever. My hope is that it covers me until some of the interesting treatments I hear about (Seti, etc) are made available.

Last edited:

ibulicious9955@gmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
@macaronaroni Yeah man. You could start with a lower dose for now. Like .25 or .5mg. Once you are pretty convinced that you have no sides, jump on the full dose.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the information.

I'm in the early stages of hair loss, maybe NW2 or NW2.5, it's hard to tell since my hair is extremely curly. All noticeable thinning is in the front, whereas the crown seems pristine.

I'm waiting to start propecia until I lose more weight. I don't want side effects, and I understand that the severity of side effects is expected to correlate with body fat. I've already lost ~40 lbs since April for other reasons, once I lose 20 more, which should take about three months, I'll start including finasteride. I expect finasteride will work a lot better, and take a lot less effort, than my current regimen.

I understand, based on the information I've read on this forum in the past few months, that finasteride only buys five years. I don't want to be on finasteride forever. My hope is that it covers me until some of the interesting treatments I hear about (Seti, etc) are made available.

Look man, fat has nothing to do with Finasteride. Finasteride increases serum testosterone by 9% or something. That should enhance your workouts and help with muscle building. Just imagine the amount of hair you are gonna lose in these 3 months if you aren't on treatments. Whereas get on Finasteride now,continue weight loss regime and get good thickening after 3 months.

- - - Updated - - -

If it works for you and you've got 0 side effects then that's great, good for you. There's no way for someone to know that they won't be one of the few people that get PFS or any other rare side effects though, just because it doesn't happen to most people it doesn't mean that it won't happen to you.

Honestly I hope the day comes where a more rational method comes out and we can look back on finasteride and say "Jesus, what were the FDA thinking?" 'til then taking finasteride is a gamble, even if the odds are well in your favor, gambling is still gambling. FYI I'm one of those youngsters in this dilemma and even if I took finasteride without any sides I still wouldn't feel right about it, something irks me the wrong way about messing with my hormones. That's just my take on it anyway.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical-treatment/medications/propecia-finasteride/side-effects-2015/

Illusions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I want to start on finasteride soon. I'm not worried about the side effects I'm aware it's a gamble, but my hair is important to me so it's worth it imo. My hair loss isn't very aggressive yet, I'm mostly doing it to prevent further hair loss, Which mg would you recommend I start with taking? should I just go straight onto 1mg? Thanks

ibulicious9955@gmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to start on finasteride soon. I'm not worried about the side effects I'm aware it's a gamble, but my hair is important to me so it's worth it imo. My hair loss isn't very aggressive yet, I'm mostly doing it to prevent further hair loss, Which mg would you recommend I start with taking? should I just go straight onto 1mg? Thanks

Bro, start with 1mg dose. It's the recommended dose for hair loss. Don't take more, don't take less than 1mg. Start with 1mg for two weeks. And lets say that you don't get the 'sides' which are of course very rare you can continue on 1mg only. If by chance you do feel like the sides appear - don't freak out. That's just your body adapting to the dht inhibition. Now you have two options-
1. Keep taking 1mg until sides disappear
2. Lower the dose to 0.5 or 0.25 mg and gradually increase it all the way up.

And keep in mind. THE SIDE EFFECTS OF FINASTERIDE ARE NOT PERMANENT. THEY GO AWAY AFTER YOU STOP THE DRUG.

GOODLUCK!

g.i joey

Reaction score
Look man, fat has nothing to do with Finasteride. Finasteride increases serum testosterone by 9% or something. That should enhance your workouts and help with muscle building. Just imagine the amount of hair you are gonna lose in these 3 months if you aren't on treatments. Whereas get on Finasteride now,continue weight loss regime and get good thickening after 3 months.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/med...tions/propecia-finasteride/side-effects-2015/

Actually the increase in testosterone gives an almost equivalent increase in estrogen which makes it harder to lose weight on finasteride . For someone who is over weight, that increase in estrogen has a visible effect on fat distribution and bloated ness. This increase is very small when ur a slim male, and doesn't really effect u but for someone who is overweight, finasteride could tip the scale.

ibulicious9955@gmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually the increase in testosterone gives an almost equivalent increase in estrogen which makes it harder to lose weight on finasteride . For someone who is over weight, that increase in estrogen has a visible effect on fat distribution and bloated ness. This increase is very small when ur a slim male, and doesn't really effect u but for someone who is overweight, finasteride could tip the scale.

Naah man none of that has been proved. If you have any study claiming such stuff then by all means post it.