A Possible Idea To Prevent Finasteride Side Effects

INT

Reaction score
As my very competent family doctor used to answer this question:

"How do vegans do it?"

"They don't, they get sick."

So whatever one doctor says is always right? My doctor did not even know about finasteride side effects... But if you want to the authority route for your argumentation fine. Kim A. Williams, former president of the American College of Cardiology. recommends a vegan diet to people suffering from heart disease (still #1 cause of death in the USA) since it has been scientifically proven to be the only diet that can actually reverse cardiovascular disease. But hey, you are entitled to believe your own doctor over him.

The short answer is that humans are just not designed to live only on carbs, veggies and fruits.

Ok ther are a few things wrong with this statement.

You are either 1) misinformed or 2) you are making a strawman fallacy.

1) Apples and oranges (pun not intended). Carbs are a macronutrient, veggies and fruits are not. Besides that, there are a lot more things you can eat besides vegetables and fruits. You obviously need more than just carbs. You also need fat and protein which you can get from all kinds of non-animal products.

2) I never said you can only live from carbs, veggies and fruits. I said vegan diet can have health benefits. A normal vegan diet is more than veggies and fruits. Again, non-animal products have protein and fat too.

Our bodies are not designed for one specific diet. Most healthy people can live on different kinds of diets. A vegan diet is one of those diets. If you can show me a proper research showing that a whole-foods plant based diet on average shows lower life expectancy I am happy to change my position on this.

"You're not doing it right!" is a cheap marketing trick that scammers will often use.

Source?

Eating right, and by that I mean eating a high-protein diet, is not hard. I don't need to think about much, I just get my steak with extra chicken, cheese and some vegetables.
Eating right is more than just making sure that you get enough proteins... I sometimes have a week where my diet is 90% animal product-free. I don't need to think about it much. I just get my black beans, lentils and rice. On average I consume 140 g of proteins a day and it is not hard at all.

Sure if it is not what you are used too it might take some research to know what contains what, but in my opinion that does not mean it is hard. Some goes for working out. In the beginning I had no idea what I was doing but after some research you know what to do and how to do it and it has become a second nature.

And that does the trick for me, better health, sharper mind and I build more muscle.

Good for you

No elaborate diet plan that I have to follow to a T so it's done "properly".

Neither do I.

Vegans usually need to get a life or more precisely, to get a religion and to get God, instead falling prey to ideologies that feed you lies and slowly kill you in the long run.

Which lies are you talking about exactly? And can you provide a scientific source for that last statement?

Not calling the kettle black, I once probably said similar things when I still felt this aversion against vegans. For some reason it kind of feels like talking to my racist grandmother that has never actually seen a black person.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
it has been scientifically proven to be the only diet that can actually reverse cardiovascular disease.
Don't post statements that are incorrect.

If you can show me a proper research showing that a whole-foods plant based diet on average shows lower life expectancy I am happy to change my position on this.
That statement is impossible to prove or disprove as there are no large and representative populations that have been vegan their entire lives. If you peruse the available *long-term* studies of vegetarianism and veganism you'll find that the sample typically includes people who cheat on their diet, and who simply consume less meat, less dairy, and eggs. They also include people who are vegetarian/vegan now but were eating omnivore diets for most of their lives including when they were growing up.

In 50 or 60 years we might have studies on the life expectancy of people who have been vegan their entire lives, with the spanning a broad range of income, education, and gender. Then we'll know, but for the time being it's an experiment to go vegan.

There are no true long-term studies of veganism, and no vegan society has ever existed in recent human history from which one could make epidemiological claims. Every single tribe, city, community, and culture that has been studied has been an omnivore society -- no exceptions.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There was an old video where Jordan Peterson briefly says that veganism is a religious belief system that tends to grip people who are atheists, nihilistic, a bit lost in their lives.

It gives them back a sense of control in their lives and there is a whole culture that goes with this religion. Almost every time someone converts to that ideology, you can see them take the "whole package" (polyamory, anti-capitalism, etc.) with it and they almost always turn into radicals.

As the scientific and anecdotal evidence against veganism is piling up, they have to defend their faulty and unhealthy belief system more and more vehemently.

I dated a vegan girl for like a week. Looking back, she was insane. She even refused to kiss me after I ate meat. In the end, she decided that she could never be with someone who eats meat. Thank God.

A friend of mine is vegan and tried to get into bodybuilding. Because his calories sources were so calorie-dense, he just bloated and you can't tell if he actually built much actual muscle. Way to make your life harder, but as we've seen, it's a religion, so there's no way he's going to change his ways.

Yes, it's true, She MIGHT NOT HAVE A "PURE" HEART.

But, I'll bet she didn't HAVE ANY ARTIFICIAL THINGS IN HER VAGINA!!!

INT

Reaction score
Don't post statements that are incorrect.

I do not:

1. Esselstyn CB., Jr. Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. New York: Avery; 2007.
2. Esselstyn CB, Jr, Ellis SG, Medendorp SV, et al. A strategy to arrest and reverse coronary artery disease: a 5 year longitudinal study of a single physician's practice. J Fam Pract. 1995;41:560–568.
3. Esselstyn CB., Jr Updating a 12 year experience with arrest and reversal therapy for coronary heart disease. Am J Cardiol. 1999;84:339–341.
4. Esselstyn CB., Jr Resolving the coronary artery disease epidemic through plant based nutrition. Prev Cardiol. 2001;4:171–177.

That statement is impossible to prove or disprove as there are no large and representative populations that have been vegan their entire lives.

I know, but it was WhitePolarBear who was the one tht said that being a vegan kills you in the long run. I only invited him to share the research that proves this. If it does not exist, then it is a worthless statement.

If you peruse the available *long-term* studies of vegetarianism and veganism you'll find that the sample typically includes people who cheat on their diet, and who simply consume less meat, less dairy, and eggs.

Source?

They also include people who are vegetarian/vegan now but were eating omnivore diets for most of their lives including when they were growing up.

Source?

There are no true long-term studies of veganism, and no vegan society has ever existed in recent human history from which one could make epidemiological claims. Every single tribe, city, community, and culture that has been studied has been an omnivore society -- no exceptions.

Again, it was WhitePolarBear who was the one tht said that being a vegan kills you in the long run. I only invited him to share the research that proves this. If it does not exist, then it is a worthless statement.

There are some vegan tribes if I remember correctly. I am sure that there are some that are in the 90-98% vegan range. An example is the Tarahumera tribe. They eat 94% plant based and they suffer virtually no atherosclerosis:

"Food and Nutrient Intakes of the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico" Maria T. Cerqueira, M.S. R.D. Martha McMurry Fry, M.S. R.D. and William E. Connor, M.D. Peer-Reviewed Scientific and Medical Sports Nutrition Journal: The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 32, April pp. 905-915, 79

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I do not:

2. Esselstyn CB, Jr, Ellis SG, Medendorp SV, et al. A strategy to arrest and reverse coronary artery disease: a 5 year longitudinal study of a single physician's practice. J Fam Pract. 1995;41:560–568.
3. Esselstyn CB., Jr Updating a 12 year experience with arrest and reversal therapy for coronary heart disease. Am J Cardiol. 1999;84:339–341.
4. Esselstyn CB., Jr Resolving the coronary artery disease epidemic through plant based nutrition. Prev Cardiol. 2001;4:171–177.

I know, but it was WhitePolarBear who was the one tht said that being a vegan kills you in the long run. I only invited him to share the research that proves this. If it does not exist, then it is a worthless statement.

Source?

Source?

Again, it was WhitePolarBear who was the one tht said that being a vegan kills you in the long run. I only invited him to share the research that proves this. If it does not exist, then it is a worthless statement.

There are some vegan tribes if I remember correctly. I am sure that there are some that are in the 90-98% vegan range. An example is the Tarahumera tribe. They eat 94% plant based and they suffer virtually no atherosclerosis:

"Food and Nutrient Intakes of the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico" Maria T. Cerqueira, M.S. R.D. Martha McMurry Fry, M.S. R.D. and William E. Connor, M.D. Peer-Reviewed Scientific and Medical Sports Nutrition Journal: The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 32, April pp. 905-915, 79

That's a commendable use of references. I don't have time to adequately respond right now unfortunately. I'm likely to get to it this evening or tomorrow morning.

Reactions: INT

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score

The Tarahumara Indians, who are by the way poorly researched, actually do eat some meat and fish. They're not vegan. I am not, nor am I arguing on behalf of, arguments you've seen elsewhere on the internet that man needs 250 grams of protein a day including meat with every meal. Small quantities of meat should be sufficient to complement a predominantly plant-based diet. They eat fish and chicken, which should provide a high density of micronutrients. The ~5% estimate also fails to include the meat and fish that they consume on special occasions, when they sacrifice animals. The same error was once made with the people of Okinawa, who were falsely alleged to be nearly vegan. The original researchers who quantified their diet failed to account for eating during festivals. It was also the case that the people of Okinawa had a low rate of smoking and alcohol consumption.

Further, they are not practicing the western vegan diet, even if their plant-based fraction went to 100%. They eat different plants, and since they eat wild plants they are likely getting a decent source of vitamin B12, or they get B12 from their meat. They're not taking supplements of synthetic cyanobalamin as a replacement for vitamin B12. They also probably don't have the same allergy rate to nuts and seeds as westerners do.

Now, as for the health of the Tarahumara Indians, it's not nearly as good as you make it out to be. Their life expectancy is 45. They have a ~50% infant mortality. That explains the low rate of atherosclerosis, as that's a condition that tends to worsen with age. I might be tempted to tell you that they're unhealthy due to veganism, but they also practice poor hygiene and have high rates of alcoholism. They're just not a good example of good health.

Note that this happens a lot. A lot of communities have been claimed to be extremely healthy due to their diets. For example, the eskimos are claimed to be very healthy (no diabetes, no heart disease, no cancer, no Alzheimer's, just google the incredible miracle) due to the fact that they mostly eat meat -- the exact opposite of claim of the Tarahumara Indians. And just like the Indians, both claims fail. The eskimos do eat some plants. Moreover, they eat different meat and fish than we do, and they're not even that healthy in the first place.

In general, I would caution against claims that this or that third obscure community (Tarahumara Indians, Eskimos, Okinawa, etc) is the healthiest in the world because of their diet. They are usually not the healthiest tribe in the world, their diets are usually mis-represented, and there are usually other factors.

What you originally wrote:
it has been scientifically proven to be the only diet that can actually reverse cardiovascular disease.
That implies that all other diets were tested, and they all failed, whereas veganism is shown to succeeds. That's not what you link to. You've linked to four pieces of writings from a single radical, Caldwell Esselstyn, who provides a anecdotes from unrepresentative samples.

Her not only advocates against animal products but also advocates against soybeans, avocados, and nuts. Olive oil is prohibited on his diet. He is against all fats. In fact, the Mediterranean diet, which emphasizes olive oil, nuts, and fish, has a very good track record on heart disease:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...ting/in-depth/mediterranean-diet/art-20047801

Do you really think that eliminating all fats is going to solve your health problems?

You know that this has actually been refuted by science right? If you switch to a plant-based diet, your body will convert all of that extra dietary fiber into fatty acids ... saturated fatty acids.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/09/150929070122.htm
So fat-phobia isn't actually rooted in biology. Your body needs fats and has a backup plan -- it can make fat from fiber. I suspect that this is the reason that vegans benefit from eating more fiber.

Here's a two-year study from the New England Journal of Medicine showing improved lipid profiles, weight loss, etc, from patients on a low-carb diet:
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0708681

Here's a discussion of Esslsteyn, a couple others, and Dr. Masley's work. Dr. Masley's also had some success reversing heart disease. His suggested diet includes fish:
https://www.southdenver.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Heart-disease-reversal-diets-no-pics.pdf

Finally, I'll note a major failure of these vegan arguments -- they're always obsessed with heart disease rather than all-cause mortality. Human beings in the west typically die of either heart disease or cancer, and the best way to reduce the rate of one is to increase the rate of other. It would be better to look at total life expectancy, but when you do this you'll find that both diet and lifestyle are associated.

Last edited: