A little update on my situation - it's been a while

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, some of you might remember me, I was an active here some time ago but decided not to write or read this board anymore about 1.5 years ago. I just thought I'd pop in and give a bit of an update on my hair loss situation. I was and still am thinning on NW5/6 area and to no surprise the hairloss has continued since I last posted here.

My crown is all but gone, very whispy hair growing there and I can feel a huge difference on the hair loss area when I run my hand through the back of my head. On top the thinning has become worse too and my clippers won't even cut the whispy hair that grows there all that well anymore. I'm still buzzing my hair regularly but someday soon I will have to start taking it down to 0 instead of 3 mm that I'm doing now.

This sh*t still hurts me a lot although I feel much better mentally than I did, say, 4.5 yrs ago when I first noticed that I was balding. I'm not obsessed about it anymore, though, I think about it a lot but I don't obsess over it like take pictures or get stuck infront of a mirror etc. I also haven't cried in about 3 years, which is a big improvement lol. I think the low-carb diet that I have been on for 3 or so years helps controlling my mood and also keeps the scalp itching minimal. It still itches sometimes but it isn't constant and not as bad as it was at some point.

Well, here you have it haha. Have a good one and don't let this whole hairloss sh*t get you down too much.

Dario

Established Member
Reaction score
Ghg I remember you. :)
I also haven't been around for a very long time and my situation is same as yours. Still buzzing it down to 3mm and must repeat the process every 3-4 days.
But things got well in my personal life, love and professional, so I don't get much chance to think about hair loss. And that is the best "cure".

Best regards!

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey there ghg!

Would you mind posting a pic?

I remember you very well. Btw, did your gynecomastia/lipo improve?

CCS

Reaction score
I remember you and your picture. You had a good hairline, but diffusing. What treatments were you on this whole time?

My hair has stayed the same the last 8 years. I stopped taking finasteride for a few months when I lost my stash. I saw some thinning and receding during that time. Not a lot, but noticeable. Then I ordered more finasteride, got back on, and my hair came right back. Not sure if it was the finasteride or using nizoral every day. I just know I'm one of the lucky ones who can maintain. I'm still trying to thicken in my top center. I'm really getting into the topicals and will report my results. So far nothing. Well, a little regrowth, but not enough to show up on camera.

I too have started caring less about my hair. Life experience helps with that. So does reduced sex drive.

CCS

Reaction score
Well I spoke too soon. My vertex is going fast. At this rate I'll be a slick NW4 in a few months. Maybe my new batch of fincar is not good. I still have my old batch. I'll take 1.25 mg from each batch each day, for a total of 2.5 mg. Maybe that will stop the thinning.

I wonder if the miconazole is causing a shed.

The way I see it, my hair was not quite good enough to really attract women anyway. I could kind of pull them, but it never was as strong as I wanted. If I get hair transplant with ACell later, I'll want to say bye bye to the weak hair anyway. I don't want to go bald, but it won't be the end of the world. I have other things to look forward to in life. My friends won't think less of me.

I was wondering if I want to have kids, or if I want to save money and have an easy life. Tough decision. Maybe going bald will make the decision easier.

The main problem I see with going bald is people do treat you better if you look better. If I check out a woman when I have hair, there is a 90% chance she will not care. But if I check her out when I'm bald, there is a good chance she will complain. Even if I don't try to date, I'm sure I will encounter many other prejudices. But that just means I'll get a good hair piece. It will not have to be perfect if I'm not planning to have a woman touch it. I can take it off at night, and just use it for business.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shma said:
Hey there ghg!

Would you mind posting a pic?

I remember you very well. Btw, did your gynecomastia/lipo improve?

Sorry, I think I'm done posting pictures of myself on the Internet (except for Facebook :D). Gyno is still there, but it hasn't gotten worse nor does it hurt anymore.

I just cut down to #0 for the first time in about 2,5 years. Now I suddenly remember why it hurts so much getting bald. There is a huge difference between a 3mm and #0 cut and my headshape is truly horrible for the bald look (profile is decent but head on it's horrible). Some folks are just born screwed in every possible way and I'd do almost anything to get my hair back. Well duh, ain't gonna happen 'cause hm is never going to work.

CCS said:
I remember you and your picture. You had a good hairline, but diffusing. What treatments were you on this whole time?

Only minoxidil foam for the past 3 years. It's not doing anything (or maybe it is, how should I know), maybe I should stop that too. It has become a routine for me so not much hassle using it, I have been applying it only once per day.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Weird. I have returned for first time in about 1 - 1.5 years also.

I am thinking of coming of finasteride and trying something different.

I think you have found the best cure. Acceptance. However, if you are thinking of trying something, what about one of these topicals?

Fluridil
spironolactone
RU58841
CB-03-01

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
My scalp has been itchy again for a while now. I have no idea what could be the cause of this, I haven't changed anything. Sad to say but I'm also starting to feel a little suicidal again, I guess I have to get some professional help. The itch would be nothing, but combine that with early hairloss and overall bad genes + other unwanted traits, and it becomes unbearable. I somehow truly wonder how normal I still am and how I have not turned into a social recluse or a druggie, etc.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
GHG, what has changed so drastically in your life that you are feeling suicidal again?

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ghg said:
My scalp has been itchy again for a while now. I have no idea what could be the cause of this, I haven't changed anything. Sad to say but I'm also starting to feel a little suicidal again, I guess I have to get some professional help. The itch would be nothing, but combine that with early hairloss and overall bad genes + other unwanted traits, and it becomes unbearable. I somehow truly wonder how normal I still am and how I have not turned into a social recluse or a druggie, etc.

What is your current regime? What was your past regime?

I'm about to try RU58841. It is meant to be more powerful then finasteride but without sides because you put on scalp.

Stay positive, I know how you feel.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
GHG, what has changed so drastically in your life that you are feeling suicidal again?

Well, nothing's really changed (that's not necessarily positive!) except my skin is acting up big time. It started a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that my hair felt really dry and strange and of course, thinner than ever. My scalp had also been itchier than it has been for years. Then I shaved my hair to #0 and noticed I had shitloads of dandruff (I thought I had gotten rid of it a long time ago)... after that my scalp hasn't felt good and now that the hair's growing again I noticed that it's really thin and I just entered this hopeless mode again. The itch certainly doesn't help it 'cause it's probably DHT doing it's thaannnggg.

optimus prime said:
ghg said:

What is your current regime? What was your past regime?

I'm about to try RU58841. It is meant to be more powerful then finasteride but without sides because you put on scalp.

Stay positive, I know how you feel.

I don't really have a regime anymore, the only thing I've used since the start of 2008 has been rogaine foam 1x a day. finasteride didn't work, but I suspect it might have been because of the brand of the pills (Gefina 5 mg finasteride), many people have complained that it did nothing when they changed to it from the expensive 1 mg propecia. Of course It could be that I just don't respond well to finasteride.

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
ghg said:
. finasteride didn't work, but I suspect it might have been because of the brand of the pills (Gefina 5 mg finasteride), many people have complained that it did nothing when they changed to it from the expensive 1 mg propecia. .

So after all you think you're Gynecomastia caused by finasteride was all in your mind?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Sorry to hear your in a bad place GHG.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shma said:
ghg said:
. finasteride didn't work, but I suspect it might have been because of the brand of the pills (Gefina 5 mg finasteride), many people have complained that it did nothing when they changed to it from the expensive 1 mg propecia. .

So after all you think you're Gynecomastia caused by finasteride was all in your mind?

Well, no I don't think so. My nipples hurt while on finasteride so... there was definitely something going on there. I also still got other sides from finasteride, for example urinal dripping (the prostate doesn't empty properly while peeing) and weaker erection. Dunno exactly what could be wrong with the Gefina pills, but loads of ppl on a Finnish forum said that for them it had done nothing after switching Propecia to it. I.e. the hairloss continued after the switch although propecia had worked.

uncomfortable man said:
Sorry to hear your in a bad place GHG.

Thanks for your support!

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
i hear that alot., that nothing works like proper propecia.

so lets think about it, is there any rational reason for this. They are both finasteride. so the other things are fillers and coatings. fillers are most probably the same, and shouldn't affect it anyway, so it would have to be the coatings. Different coatings are put on drugs to make them digest at different rates.

Is it possible genuine propecia has got a better coating that enhances bioavailability or digestion?

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
^ Yes, different coating and different/incomplete digestion rate is exactly the conclusion that many ppl have come to. Dunno if I should try Proscar, that's made by the same company as Propecia. I would have to get a new prescription for it, though.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ghg said:
Dunno if I should try Proscar, that's made by the same company as Propecia.

Proscar works! I cannot comment on side effects but it thickened my hair up and maintained.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
optimus prime said:
ghg said:
Dunno if I should try Proscar, that's made by the same company as Propecia.

Proscar works! I cannot comment on side effects but it thickened my hair up and maintained.

I might actually give it a shot if I can get a prescription! If I get the same sides that I got with Gefina, I'll probably stop though.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
sh*t, I think I finally know what has caused the recent change in hair texture and the itchiness... it must be MSM, which I started taking like a month ago. Either that or Biotin. I'm gonna stop taking the MSM first, I don't like the way it has affected my hair. I've felt strange in other ways too, kinda sleepy etc.