A Kligman article, salycic acid increased human sebum

michael barry

Reaction score
http://www.springerlink.com/content/r01 ... lltext.pdf

One of the things they tested on HUMANS not just mice, was salycic acid. It was shown to increase human sebum (near the very end of the article). Also topical corticosteroids reduced human sebum.

Many surficants increased sebocytes in the study. The authors pointed out that this might not necessarily happen in humans because mouse skin is so much more permeable, but the results of the sodium laureth sulfates were a little suprising. For the life of me.................lets say selenium sulfide -does- penetrate to follicle depth and inhibits prostaglandin b-2 for instance, which is supposed to be beneficial, but also increases sebum production and the amount of sebocytes..................might then its negatives almost equal its positives?

Do you have any observations on this stuff?

michael barry

Reaction score
From the study I posted above, on page 5:

"Preliminary studies suggest a
relation between gland size and sebum levels. Sebutape
(CuDerm, Dallas, Tex., USA), a specially designed tape
[11] which traps sebum droplets from individual follicles,
was applied to human and mouse skin after treatment
for several weeks with 5.0% salicylic acid. Compared
with controls, sebum output was increased. In contrast,
applications of topical corticosteroids (clobetasol propionate)
produced marked reductions in gland size and
sebum output in both human and mouse skin (unpublished
results)."

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post.
Do you have a link to a page where you think the relationship between male pattern baldness and Sebum is well explained ?

People connect more sebum with oily hair. How ever it seems to me that most sufferers have a dry hair that becomes even drier as you bald. I might be wrong.
For example if you compare on average chinese and japenese guys. The latter have typically a more oily hair but unlike the chinese are commonly nw1-2.

Thanks

CCS

Reaction score
Sebum does not cause male pattern baldness. Androgens cause both. If you see sebum and male pattern baldness increase together, it means androgen activity is up.