A Couple Of Questions From A Newbie

MikeWood

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all, this will be my first time using a hair piece. I watched many videos and read a lot about it thanks to this wonderful forum, and I decided to go DIY route except for shaving my bald area and hairstyle. I am planning to order a Swiss lace stock piece and have a couple of questions about them. I would be really happy if someone can help.

1) My first question is about the grey hair percentage. I have a pretty dark hair on the back and sides, but a little brownish in the front, where I need a hair piece. I will send a hair sample to the supplier, but the order form asks grey hair percentage which I am struggling about. Which grey hair percentage should I choose?

2) Second is about the graduated hairline. How should I decide graduated vs. non-graduated? I am gonna brush my hair forwards as most of you suggest for newbies. Also, my temple points didn't really recede at all, maybe a little. I don't know whether these information matter for this choice.

3) I believe that I don't need to bleach knots at the front because I am gonna brush forward. Is this true?

4) I am 33 years old, pretty much good hair in the back and the sides. My scalp is not really visible in those areas. Should I order medium light?

5) How long are stock pieces durable in their packages before using them? I am planning to order two pieces for emergency purposes. I will start wearing one right away and am gonna keep the other one at home approximately for two months before opening its package. Will the second one lose its quality during this time?

6) Finally, I am in the chicago area. If anyone suggests a hairstylist there, I would be very happy.

Thanks in advance for reading this long post. If something similar to these questions were answered anywhere else, please direct me to there.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

These are really great questions, but to be honest, best asked of a professional, that can see you, either in person or via video chat.

I will make a couple of comments, however.

1. Gray percentage: I use a custom system because my gray areas are not symmetrical. The hair in the front part of my head (sides) is almost white and gets progressively darker as you go to the back, which is #2. This is not possible with a stock system since the grey percentage is consistent throughout. You will need to go custom for this.

2. A graduated hairline is recommended, even if the hair goes forward, since the way the hair lies depends on this change in density, like in someone's own natural hair.

3. Generally true, depending on the color and density, the roots may or may not be visible. I have 8% grey in front, no bleach needed.

4. Again, someone needs to see you, to make this determination.

5. No, sealed, they should be fine. They are sprayed with silicone, and if not opened, and kept out of sunlight, can last for years.

6. The Norwood Lace forum has a list of Salons based on location.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/nor...-of-cut-in-providers-stylists-list-t2012.html

I seriously suggest you consult with a professional, or at the very least PM me some photos so that I can give you some more personal advice.

MikeWood

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

These are really great questions, but to be honest, best asked of a professional, that can see you, either in person or via video chat.

I will make a couple of comments, however.

1. Gray percentage: I use a custom system because my gray areas are not symmetrical. The hair in the front part of my head (sides) is almost white and gets progressively darker as you go to the back, which is #2. This is not possible with a stock system since the grey percentage is consistent throughout. You will need to go custom for this.

2. A graduated hairline is recommended, even if the hair goes forward, since the way the hair lies depends on this change in density, like in someone's own natural hair.

3. Generally true, depending on the color and density, the roots may or may not be visible. I have 8% grey in front, no bleach needed.

4. Again, someone needs to see you, to make this determination.

5. No, sealed, they should be fine. They are sprayed with silicone, and if not opened, and kept out of sunlight, can last for years.

6. The Norwood Lace forum has a list of Salons based on location.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/nor...-of-cut-in-providers-stylists-list-t2012.html

I seriously suggest you consult with a professional, or at the very least PM me some photos so that I can give you some more personal advice.
Thanks so much BaldBearded, I will PM you soon after taking some photos.

Noah

Reaction score
Lots of great info there from BaldBearded.

1) If you are ordering a custom piece, choosing different percentages of grey for different areas is a great idea for a superior realism.

2) Definitely go for graduated. Even if you are not having an exposed hairline, there will be times when it is exposed, like when you are walking into the wind, of you are lying down on a sun bed, and you want your hairline to look natural in those circumstances too. The graduation makes all the difference.

3) I am going to (very respectfully) differ from BB on this one. For the reasons mentioned in 2 I think you should get bleached knots at the front.

4) Yeah, hard to talk about density without having an idea of what you look like. If you want a second opinion feel free to flick me a pic (100% confidential of course).

5) Agree with BB on this: they pretty much last forever if kept out of the sun.

Very best of luck!

Noah

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lots of great info there from BaldBearded.

1) If you are ordering a custom piece, choosing different percentages of grey for different areas is a great idea for a superior realism.

2) Definitely go for graduated. Even if you are not having an exposed hairline, there will be times when it is exposed, like when you are walking into the wind, of you are lying down on a sun bed, and you want your hairline to look natural in those circumstances too. The graduation makes all the difference.

3) I am going to (very respectfully) differ from BB on this one. For the reasons mentioned in 2 I think you should get bleached knots at the front.

4) Yeah, hard to talk about density without having an idea of what you look like. If you want a second opinion feel free to flick me a pic (100% confidential of course).

5) Agree with BB on this: they pretty much last forever if kept out of the sun.

Very best of luck!

Noah

I agree with Noah on #3, actually. Let me clarify. In my situation, due to very high gray percentage, bleached knots were not necessary. In your situation, with a low percentage of grey, then yes.

MikeWood

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks so much Noah and BaldBearded, the supplier told me today that "The stocks are medium light, slight wave, freestyle, bleached knots in front." Apparently some of those are not options. But, I will send some pictures to you tomorrow to get some feedback on the hairline I drew and whether that is consistent with the style I want.
Thanks in advance!