A Closer Look At: Calcium & Magnesium.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Throughout our lives we have been told that calcium is good for our bones; "get as much calcium as you can", "drink your milk", etc. Well now there is new knowledge that claims the opposite. It is now said that without Vitamin D and magnesium, calcium is not properly absorbed into the bones and is instead stored in body tissues, ever hear of kidney stones? Bladder stones? Well I’ve recently heard of an interesting theory on balding.

Magnesium deficiency could be a very big part of the picture in regards to male pattern baldness. Magnesium is used for many things; two of them are used for glucose/blood sugar metabolism, and calcium absorption, among many others. Magnesium deficiency could possibly result in insulin resistance, type-two-diabetes, and even heart disease; all of which coincide with male pattern baldness!

Without magnesium, calcium can be mishandealed, leading to excess amounts being stored in the tissue.

Now, here is where it gets interesting, the theory went on to say that, calcium could be stored in the scalp tissue, and that too much calcium, will literally clog up your follicles! And cause you to have what is referred to as a "tight scalp".

Just think of your shower facet, when calcium-build-up gets too strong, the water can't flow out properly and the holes in that facet get clogged!

This is one of the many reasons why I believe dairy products such as milk, cheese and butter are one of the main reasons for hair loss. And like I’ve said before, having high blood glucose levels caused by eating sugary foods and drinks like candy/sweets and soda's/syrup will deplete magnesium, which means calcium does not get absorbed properly and is stored else where in the body other than the bones. This is why chronic consumption of sugar can cause the teeth to decay and rot.

It has been claimed that over 80% of the U.S.A. is deficient in magnesium. And yet the "professionals" tell us to drink more milk, get more calcium and forget to tell us about magnesium.

I personally believe that calcium has a huge role in male pattern baldness; I've always had this feeling, yet I couldn't make the connection until now. This is silly but let me say it. Black people are darker in complexion because they have absorbed more Vitamin D throughout their evolution, while white people haven't as much, now I have noticed that more white people bald sooner more often compared to black people, also I’ve heard that white people have more circulating levels of IGF-1 levels compared once again to black people.

I will tell you from personal experience that magnesium citrate has "loosened up my scalp". Whenever I raise my eyebrows, my whole scalp moves forward! I've never felt this before until I began taking 200%D.V. of Magnesium Citrate a week ago!

Anyhow, research magnesium and if you want to try I suggest you try magnesium citrate.

ali777

Reaction score
misterE said:
I personally believe that calcium has a huge role in male pattern baldness; I've always had this feeling, yet I couldn't make the connection until now. This is silly but let me say it. Black people are darker in complexion because they have absorbed more Vitamin D throughout their evolution, while white people haven't as much, now I have noticed that more white people bald sooner more often compared to black people, also I’ve heard that white people have more circulating levels of IGF-1 levels compared once again to black people.

I'll make a small correction here...

White people aren't white because they lack vitamin D, they are white because they have less melanin. The problem with melanin is that it acts as a UVB filter as well. So, less melanin means easier absorption of light and better vitamin D production. The whole assumption that black people have more vitamin D doesn't hold.

According to the evolutionary biologists, when Europe was covered with the ice sheet, only those who could produce enough vitamin D with minimum light survived, ie less melanin = higher survival chance at high latitude.

I don't know about magnesium but your vitamin D theory is not correct. White people produce more vitamin D than black people.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
White people produce more vitamin D than black people.

Clarification: White people in US/Europe produce more vitamin D than black people in US/Europe - assumming both groups get same amount of sun exposure. I'm pretty sure Black people in africa, or any other countries with plenty of sunlight, make as much vitmain D as required by their bodies.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
While I certainly am not under any illusions that magnesium would produce any measurable benefit for male pattern balding, nevertheless I _do_ recommend that everybody supplement their diets with a reasonable amount of magnesium, for general health benefits. Even the ultra-conservative, anti-supplementation, Harvard-educated Dr. Frederick Stare admitted several years ago that "it would be better if everybody doubled his magnesium intake". That says a LOT, coming from the health-food-hating Dr. Stare! :)

I recommend using the Bluebonnet brand of magnesium citrate tablets. They're reasonably priced, and should be available in most health-food stores. Each tablet contains 200 mg of magnesium, from magnesium citrate. I suggest breaking the tablets into two halves (I can do that with just my fingers alone, but you may need to do it with a knife), and taking a half with each meal. CHEW IT UP before swallowing it, for better absorption. If you do that with each meal, it will give you a daily total of 300 mg of extra magnesium from a soluble, well-absorbed magnesium source. That should be sufficient for the majority of people.

ali777

Reaction score
goata007 said:
ali777 said:

Clarification: White people in US/Europe produce more vitamin D than black people in US/Europe - assumming both groups get same amount of sun exposure. I'm pretty sure Black people in africa, or any other countries with plenty of sunlight, make as much vitmain D as required by their bodies.

I thought that was obvious from what I said???

The northern hemisphere isn't under the ice sheet at the moment, so there is no danger of vitamin D deficiency. Besides, our diets are fortified with minerals.

Dalton

Established Member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
goata007 said:
ali777 said:

I thought that was obvious from what I said???

The northern hemisphere isn't under the ice sheet at the moment, so there is no danger of vitamin D deficiency. Besides, our diets are fortified with minerals.

The critical vitamin D we need is D-3. The "fortified" milk you drink is D-2 which is not nearly as beneficial.

Plus many people stay indoors and stay out of the sun. Vitamin D deficiency is just now coming to light.

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
Throughout our lives we have been told that calcium is good for our bones; "get as much calcium as you can", "drink your milk", etc. Well now there is new knowledge that claims the opposite. It is now said that without Vitamin D and magnesium, calcium is not properly absorbed into the bones and is instead stored in body tissues, ever hear of kidney stones? Bladder stones? Well I’ve recently heard of an interesting theory on balding.

Magnesium deficiency could be a very big part of the picture in regards to male pattern baldness. Magnesium is used for many things; two of them are used for glucose/blood sugar metabolism, and calcium absorption, among many others. Magnesium deficiency could possibly result in insulin resistance, type-two-diabetes, and even heart disease; all of which coincide with male pattern baldness!

Without magnesium, calcium can be mishandealed, leading to excess amounts being stored in the tissue.

Now, here is where it gets interesting, the theory went on to say that, calcium could be stored in the scalp tissue, and that too much calcium, will literally clog up your follicles! And cause you to have what is referred to as a "tight scalp".

http://www.orthomolecular.org/
Just think of your shower facet, when calcium-build-up gets too strong, the water can't flow out properly and the holes in that facet get clogged!

This is one of the many reasons why I believe dairy products such as milk, cheese and butter are one of the main reason for hair loss. And like I’ve said before, having high blood glucose levels caused by eating sugary foods and drinks like candy/sweets and soda's/syrup will deplete magnesium, which means calcium does not get absorbed properly and is stored else where in the body other than the bones. This is why chronic consumption of sugar can cause the teeth to decay and rot.

It has been claimed that over 80% of the U.S.A. is deficient in magnesium. And yet the "professionals" tell us to drink more milk, get more calcium and forget to tell us about magnesium.

I will tell you from personal experience that magnesium citrate has "loosened up my scalp". Whenever I raise my eyebrows, my whole scalp moves forward! I've never felt this before until I began taking 200%D.V. of Magnesium Citrate a week ago!

Anyhow, research magnesium and if you want to try I suggest you try magnesium citrate.

Just magnesium? The thing that people just simply are not understanding is that lack of optimal levels of minerals, vitamins, coenzymes, and/or their byproducts are what actually cause disease.

Think of peoples diets, then consider that even if you eat right the soild that fruit and veggies, and what animals are fed are devoid of many of those minerals etc as a result of decades of growth leaching those minerals etc out of said soil.

Many people want to believe that a multi vitamin does the trick, but this is 100% wrong. #1 they are not in the right for and balance #2 when you consume a mineral or vitamin it usually causes an imbalance of others.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
Very true... I recommend using CRON-O-Meter (free for download) to see what your dietary intakes are and then determine if you need to supplement something.

Btw, I think the recommended daily intakes of calcium are way too high.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
When you eat foods that are acidic, your body releases calcium from the bones to alkalize the body. When the calcium is released, it is then stored in tissues such as: the kidneys, bladder and prostate. But I'm beginning to think that calcium deposits form on or around the scalp, preventing further growth, causing an inflammatory response and leading to the infamous patterns (receding hairline and vertex balding).

When there is too much intracellular calcium and not enough magnesium inside tissues, the tissues become insulin-resistant. Remember, it is well known that balding men have increased risk for: Insulin resistance/type-2-diabetes, atherosclerosis/heart disease and enlarged prostate/prostate cancer!

Could something as simple as a magnesium deficiency be one of the underlying causes of M.P.B.? Well, magnesium deficiency correlates with insulin resistance and diabetes, because large amounts of sugar will deplete magnesium in the cells and pulls calcium out of the bones where it is "free" to travel the body. Magnesium deficiency correlates with atherosclerosis because part of the progression of atherosclerosis is cholesterol and calcium build-up in the blood vessels, along with inflammation of course. And an enlarged prostate could correlate with prostatitis (calcium build-up within the prostate). Now when calcium gets deposited inside tissues, it creates inflammation.

So removing calcium deposits seems to be an effective way to help reverse M.P.B. Magnesium-citrate has been suggested to help dissolve calcium deposits. Red-red-wine, can help remove calcium deposits and reverse atherosclerosis and is shown to lower insulin levels and improve insulin sensitivity!

Attachments

• calcium_0208.gif
    calcium_0208.gif
    40.9 KB · Views: 3,724

MikeGore

Reaction score
Hey misterE,

I've read your 40 steps and really liked. How has it helped you reverse your hair loss. How was it before and afterwards?

I am currently taking fish oil. You mentioned in your post that flaxseed is good for hair loss. These two seem similar, but I have read on numerous websites, that flaxseed oil and fish oil causes hair loss. Fish oil is said to increase testesterone and lower shbg, and flaxseed oil is said to decrease testerone and increase shbg. So I guess they aren't so similar.

With so many contradictions regarding these two I am unsure which to take or continue taking fish oil. Why do think some people have success with fish oil and flaxseeds while others
don't?

Thanks,

Mike

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
JLL said:
Very true... I recommend using CRON-O-Meter (free for download) to see what your dietary intakes are and then determine if you need to supplement something.

Btw, I think the recommended daily intakes of calcium are way too high.

You want to get tested my a Orthomolecular Dr., they will measure all of your levels.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
MikeGore said:
Hey misterE,

I've read your 40 steps and really liked. How has it helped you reverse your hair loss. How was it before and afterwards?

I am currently taking fish oil. You mentioned in your post that flaxseed is good for hair loss. These two seem similar, but I have read on numerous websites, that flaxseed oil and fish oil causes hair loss. Fish oil is said to increase testesterone and lower shbg, and flaxseed oil is said to decrease testerone and increase shbg. So I guess they aren't so similar.

With so many contradictions regarding these two I am unsure which to take or continue taking fish oil. Why do think some people have success with fish oil and flaxseeds while others
don't?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, ground-up flaxseeds are great for the hair, but they are even better when mixed with ground-up pumpkin seeds! I’ve never been a fan of fish-oil. I’ve read that flaxseeds increases S.H.B.G. decreases both estrogen and D.H.T., decreases both insulin and IGF-1, all while providing a strong anti-inflammatory effects. They are cheap and readily available and work synergistically with pumpkin seeds!

oyo

Established Member
Reaction score
Gah. so much wrong. for one thing, black people have higher rates of some diseases, probably because getting enough vitamin D in a office in pennsylvania with skin optimised for the equator isn't going to happen. in fact most people have insufficient vitamin D.

and calcium levels are regulated by things like vitamin d & k, not mealtime.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
oyo said:
Gah. so much wrong. for one thing, black people have higher rates of some diseases, probably because getting enough vitamin D in a office in pennsylvania with skin optimised for the equator isn't going to happen. in fact most people have insufficient vitamin D.

and calcium levels are regulated by things like vitamin d & k, not mealtime.

When calcium intake is high, vitamin D levels are lowered. New studies show that vitamin D levels protect against prostate cancer, diabetes, and even heart disease...all three of which correlates with M.P.B.

Gold Top

Reaction score
There seems to be a very strong link between Magnesium deficiency, Insulin Resistance and Male Pattern Baldness:

http://www.regrowth.com/hair-loss-f...tern baldness-and-insulin-resistancediabetes/

[FONT=museo_sans_500regular]"While the benefits of oral magnesium supplementation on glycemic control have yet to be demonstrated in patients, magnesium supplementation has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity"

"More than five years ago I reported that the present treatment for male-pattern baldness is not very effective and that male pattern baldness may be caused by insulin resistance"[/FONT]