"99% Of Men Don't Lose Hair On Dutasteride"

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I took and am still taking dutasteride for 11 months (finasteride 2 years before this). My hairline itches all day every day and I have scalp pimples on it as well. My hair line is dying still on dutasteride so you CAN loose you hair on it. This thread should be deleted because it's retarded. Hate when people just start making claims and haven't even tried the drug.

ZIGGY!!! good to hear from you. Wish it was under better circumstances.

I tried dutasteride for only about 1.5 month and my response was horrendous... just f*cking horrendous. from the MOMENT I popped it, my scalp went crazy. For me it's CRAWLING. Like a thousand termites directly under my scalp eating my tissue. With some understanding of the hair cycle, I don't know how it's possible this quick but my hair line as well started to suffer, bad. I would lightly tug on a clump of hair and half of it would come out.

This being said, I am happy I am done with all this stuff. dermarolling with minoxidil and the twenty supplements I take are good enough to minimize my inflammation and hopefully keep most of what I have left.

I hope to God you find some relief, I do. I have followed your story for a while and mirror it completely. Dench too.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
You say Telogen Effluvium can't cause miniaturization, however, in a person with Androgenetic Alopecia, losing hair in general causes miniaturization, especially if your regimen isn't preventing it.

I don't know man. You and I (and several others) are in this horrible, confusing situation that seems to have no answer. I am just shocked that no one has looked into these responses to finasteride further. Perhaps finasteride coupled with another type of medication, or topical could work for us if this was more thoroughly researched???

Yeah it just seems like some sort of mutant Androgenetic Alopecia in my case, as I never shed pre-finasteride and I don't shed now despite the inflammation. Androgenetic Alopecia is the only thing that causes miniaturisation afaik. I don't shed probably because I'm not diffuse - diffusers (like in your case) shed with Androgenetic Alopecia.

Nobody has/is going to look into these responses because it's so rare. It's so bizarre that if it hadn't happened to me then I'm not sure I would believe it possible. It's interesting that dutasteride caused no inflammation for me compared to my reaction to finasteride. Seems like a unique response to finasteride. And it's also interesting that your inflammation subsides when dropping finasteride but mine remained unchanged. I know one guy who had exactly same experience as me on another forum (onset of inflammation within weeks of starting finasteride, still the same 2+ years after dropping it).

I wonder if it's to do with polymorphisms in either the androgen receptor or 5AR2 gene. Certainly there seems to be differences in people's response to finasteride which imo go beyond "your hairloss was too aggressive". Some NW5 baldites with aggressive Androgenetic Alopecia can regrow a significant amount whereas people like me and Ziggy who were both around NW1.5 with slow loss pre-finasteride have non/adverse reactions. Check this chart out. That one allele variant, A49T, is the only 5AR2 variant in which the inhibition constant actually increases over time with Finasteride treatment. I wonder if people with shitty responses have that variant?

Last edited:

abcdefg

Reaction score
How do you know testosterone plays no role at all in hair loss? Its an androgen exactly like DHT just weaker, but its also far more abundant then DHT in males. DHT is clearly more important and much stronger, but its a bit premature to say T does absolutely nothing

"The testosterone theory is crap and is always written by a guy called abcde or something. He has been on here for 11 years and never taken meds and nor has hair loss apparently. "

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you guys even mean by Telogen Effluvium? Shedding is a normal response to finasteride usage and I'm sure the same goes for dutasteride. It means that the drugs are working. You just need to give them time. Itchy scalp and flaking are also signs that it's working because I have had the same. I never had shedding prior to getting on finasteride but when I started I had huge shedding and it didn't get better for a few months. Did I panic? No. I stayed the course and now my thick full head of hair looks better than it did when I started and my temples are still improving. If you get rid of DHT (specifically 5AR2 DHT) you get rid of hair loss. The key is to be patient because hair cycles can take a long time.

I have no business being on these forums cause finasteride has and is still working great for me. I hate seeing negative people complaining about these cures (yes, I said cures) because it makes me pretty worried. It is a great preventative if you want to keep your hair.

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
I took and am still taking dutasteride for 11 months (finasteride 2 years before this). My hairline itches all day every day and I have scalp pimples on it as well.

Did you experience any of these when you were taking finasteride? What was your reason for the switch?

Aldrich

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
working great for me

I highlighted the key point here. It's working great for you. That doesn't mean that it will work great for everyone. Every study on finasteride, minoxidil, or whatever does not have a 100% success rate. Even worse, as with any kind of study, the success rate is based on an extremely small amount of test subjects, which could never represent the overall majority of people.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
hey guys , i can say for sure that my hairline is worst than my twin . But not because of propecia , but because of minoxidil , i'm 6 month in now and i'm sticking with it , but minoxidil ruined my hairline .
Not propecia . i was on it for 18 month before minoxidil and things were fine .

Do you think i will recover my hairline ? is it just the minoxidil shed?

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
and i have to highlight the fact that i'm not on duta . So i take propecia for 18 month and it maintain but didnt regrow , then i added minoxidil on my hairline and took a huge shed that i didnt recover for the moment . AND i'm abut to take minoxidil .

And my twin brother take no med and he had a perfect hairline . So the problem is not propecia which works , but minoxidil which has worsened my situation .

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
and i'm about to start duta once a week but i'm still scared of teh gyno side effect .
So for the moment i'm taking 5 mg propecia daily ( = 0,1 mg duta )

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
but i think there is an explanation , i think i used way too much minoxidil in the beginning ( sometimes 4 ml)
and i had a telogen effluvium . moreover ive got a lot of unwated body hair , so that mean minoxidil is effective on me .
I hope that i will recover in the next month.