66% Of Covid-19 "long Haul Survivors" Surveyed Suffer Hair Loss

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Probably shock loss, and definitely not Androgenetic Alopecia. It's probably temporary, but it could be immune related, which might make it permanent or recurring.
Could be immune related. Highly doubt it though. Either way I wouldnt take meds against it. I guess it gives people on this forum more reason to always wear a mask and wash your hands. :rolleyes:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could be immune related. Highly doubt it though. Either way I wouldnt take meds against it. I guess it gives people on this forum more reason to always wear a mask and wash your hands. :rolleyes:

I agree, but it's a possibility. I am not worried about it, I have an excellent immune system and no risk factors for covid. I highly doubt I'll get any hair loss or any other severe symptoms if I get it.

Naja

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've had a few different rounds of telogen effluvium. Yes, it's very scary at the time, seeing buckets of hair falling out everywhere, but if it's truly Telogen Effluvium it will all come back. After I had my baby, so much hair fell out I was sure I would go completely bald, and while it was mostly growing back people though I'd cut my hair with bangs as there was a whole new layer heh.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you consider the structural characteristics of hair follicles, this kind of "shock" hair loss is quite easy to explain and identifies the common factor here. Any tissue trauma causes tissue swelling. This increase in tissue fluid pressure causes a distortion of the local hair follicles, that reduces the hair production area until complete involution of the germinal matrix causes hair shedding producing the noted club hair shape.
Tissue trauma, immune reactions, chemotherapy and radiation poisoning all increase tissue fluid pressures. The effect upon hair follicles is easy to understand through the attached diagram.

The tissue swelling moves the surface of the skin away from the DP/ germinal matrix. This pulls the body of the follicle upwards, and starts to pull the germinal matrix away from the DP, reducing contact from the outside inwards. Hair growth stops also from the outside inwards, producing the club hair shape. If hair growth around the germinal matrix stopped by any other process, the end of the shed hair would mirror the shape of the DP/GM with some shrinkage. It is the club or rounded end of the shed hair that tells the story here. Changes in the size of anagen follicles, can also be easily explained by the influence of local tissue fluid pressures as I describe in my article PDF attached.

There is a testable prediction here. If increased tissue fluid pressures are the actual mechanism of the common changes in hair follicle size, there will also be significant changes in the sweating capacity of the surrounding tissues. Where hair growth is reduced, there will be increased sweating capacity. Where hair growth is increased, there will be reduced sweating capacity of the surrounding tissue. It turns out that this has already been confirmed in androgen related changes in hair growth. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3203673/
You said:"The principle here is that hair growth is linked to the local tissue rigidity, modified by local changes in tissue fluid pressure. This means that any factor that affects tissue rigidity and tissue fluid pressures, will also affect hair growth."
Sebum have a role n tissue fluid pressure?

resu

Reaction score
She's suffering hair loss in a pattern, look at the her temples. What other examples of post covid19 hair loss sufferers are there?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score

lol The guy was fat. Nobody under 40 dies from covid if they are healthy without any underlying condition.

Then again, covid kills in so many different ways
https://cbs12.com/news/local/man-wh...h-counted-as-covid-19-death-in-florida-report

People are so easily manipulated. I'm sure I could find a social media post of someone who died from the flu after saying they aren't afraid of the flu. Does that mean we should treat the flu like the bubonic plague?

Before some mouth breather puts words in my mouth, this does not mean I think covid is the same as the flu.

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You said:"The principle here is that hair growth is linked to the local tissue rigidity, modified by local changes in tissue fluid pressure. This means that any factor that affects tissue rigidity and tissue fluid pressures, will also affect hair growth."
Sebum have a role n tissue fluid pressure?

I refer to the fluid pressure in the surrounding dermal tissue Armando. Sebum is released within the follicle, if anything increased sebum pressure will inflate hair follicles not miniaturize them.

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I read so many symptoms that allegedly caused by corona, literally everyday I read new one, that I wonder if the effects of this virus really are so varied, or it is just people relate every health issue they get during/after the infection period to the virus. I mean, the virus infects tons of people all around, so statistically some of them will encounter other non related health issues

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Covid is a new virus (to us) that has been mutating rapidly. It's more dangerous than the usual flu. It's more contagious than the usual flu.

Surprise, surprise - Covid seems to have a wider range of severities & effects than the usual flu, too. I don't find that so hard to believe.

Look at HIV. That never technically kills anyone. The specific cause of death is always some other infection. (And other pre-existing health problems will worsen the patient's odds.) We still blame those deaths on HIV.

czecha

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree, but it's a possibility. I am not worried about it, I have an excellent immune system and no risk factors for covid. I highly doubt I'll get any hair loss or any other severe symptoms if I get it.
You are having hair loss because you have a great immune system (maybe). Copy paste from another forum I’m on:

Guys there are studies that bald men do worse when Covid infected, I‘m sure you have heard about them.
2 explanations I am seeing:
•bald men are unhealthier
•bald men have stronger immune responses

Here is a haidut quote on covid response unrelated to hair loss/

haidut said:
All viruses can do that, including the flu. If a person dies from the "flu" (or other viral infections), the cytokine storm and multi-organ failure is what usually does them in. There is nothing special/unique in regards to COVID-19 when it comes to causing it.
Inside a Cytokine Storm: When Your Immune System is Too Strong | Breakthroughs
The cytokine storm of severe influenza and development of immunomodulatory therapy
New fronts emerge in the influenza cytokine storm

Some public health authorities have said things like "well, some viruses (like Ebola) cause severe bleeding and those effects are unique". Nope, pretty much any virus can cause the same bleeding when the infection is severe enough. Including the "flu".
How a mild influenza B infection can kill: A case of pulmonary hemorrhage
Novel H1N1 influenza A viral infection complicated by alveolar hemorrhage - PubMed
A case of hemorrhagic colitis after influenza A infection - ScienceDirect
https://journal.chestnet.org/article/S0012-3692(18)31296-0/fulltext
I think it has been theorized that male pattern baldness (maybe due to funghi, or bacteria?) is the immune system attacking your follicles
Cortisone can work against hair loss, suppresses immune system
Cushing disease sufferers tend to have great hairlines and weak immune systems
It has recently been theorized that finasteride upregulates a corticosteroid

So imo this is making the overactive immune system-male pattern baldness link more plausible

there is also a study claiming covid survivors experience reversable hair loss

65% of COVID-19 survivors surveyed report experiencing hair loss, among other long-term effects

A recent survey conducted by Survivor Corps, a COVID-19 nonprofit, and Dr. Natalie Lambert from Indiana University School of Medicine found that 65% of coronavirus survivors reported hair loss.

So covid leading to overactive immune system in itself?

BaldAndBalder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As somone who had covid side effects i can attast first hand that it triggers a severe immune response, the symptoms will varry from person to person, from the full cytokin storm to the "unexplicable" post-COVID depression/anxiety and long term fatigue.

It not a regular flu and your immune system will be disturbed for months.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As somone who had covid side effects i can attast first hand that it triggers a severe immune response, the symptoms will varry from person to person, from the full cytokin storm to the "unexplicable" post-COVID depression/anxiety and long term fatigue.

It not a regular flu and your immune system will be disturbed for months.
I disagree. Had it, minor symptoms, no prolong fatigue. Should note that I am 22, though.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it has been theorized that male pattern baldness (maybe due to funghi, or bacteria?) is the immune system attacking your follicles
Cortisone can work against hair loss, suppresses immune system
Cushing disease sufferers tend to have great hairlines and weak immune systems
It has recently been theorized that finasteride upregulates a corticosteroid
How explain the hairloss pattern due funghi or bacteria?
Hair loss after COVID-19 is natural for many. Will look into TM30089, sounds promising!
Racemate (TM30089 Racemate) is a potent and highly selective prostaglandin D2 receptor CRTH2 antagonist, with a Ki of 0.6 nM for hCRTH2, selective over human thromboxane A2 receptor TP (Ki, >10000 nM) or PGD2 receptor DP (Ki, 1200 nM). CAY10471 Racemate also has effect on mouse and rat orthologs of CRTH2.

Whit it you will have a potent change in your inmune system, but I doubt you regain hair.

AlissaLynn

My Regimen
Reaction score