6 Years On Ru & dutasteride - Time For Cb & finasteride?

Plan C

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve been using 0.5mg dutasteride and 80mg RU daily since May 2014. In October 2014, I added 15% compounded minoxidil daily*. I was previously using 5% minoxidil + finasteride, without much success.

I initially experienced heart palpitations, shortness of breath, brain fog, mild gyno, mood swings, and fatigue. Over time, these sides have largely disappeared, which I attribute to four factors:
  • Beginning to exercise regularly
  • Use of nootropics
  • Body adjusting to the regime
  • Switching from 100mg RU to 80mg after a few months
At present, the only sides that I regularly experience are:
  • Irritated eyes
  • Bags under eyes
  • Shedding twice a year, in autumn and spring
My libido hasn’t been affected in the long-term. Some of the sides return if I apply RU or minoxidil too soon after derma rolling (1.5mm, monthly).

I was 20 when I started this regime and it has had the desired effect; hair density has remained thick and has improved around the crown. Further receding at the temples has been minimal (and can probably be attributed to stress).

Despite this, I’m now 26 and growing increasingly uncomfortable about using such a hardcore regime. The lack of clarity around the long-term effects of RU use is particularly concerning. When I’m unable to exercise regularly, I return to feeling fatigued and groggy. Likewise, my cognitive function seems to dip considerably without use of nootropics. I have found the aforementioned sides to be manageable; this doesn’t mean the regime is advisable or safe.

I’d be interested to hear other peoples' experiences of similar regimes.

I’m seriously considering switching from dutasteride to finasteride, and from RU to CB. I wonder if anyone has followed a similar path?

Cheers.

Minoxidil 15%, azelaic acid 5%, finasteride 0.1%, retinoic acid 0.025%, progesterone 0.25%, hydrocortisone 0.1%

Last edited:

jazz1

Reaction score
Hey how do you mix your RU? Also where do you buy the 15% mixture? As I use the same from a compound pharmacy called Murray Avenue Apothecary.

Thread:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...oxidil-finasteride-mixture-check-here.126633/

There is a guy on here I forgot his name, starts with E and he posted a thread recently on CB0301 as thats what he uses and did use everything you are currently are on......

This is the guy, speak to him as he would give you the best advice, he has used everything your currently using etc.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ical-anti-androgen-fda-approved-today.129240/

Attachments

• B4001E03-EF34-4A25-AE6D-3545BC5D1F18.png
    B4001E03-EF34-4A25-AE6D-3545BC5D1F18.png
    279.4 KB · Views: 106

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride and duta have a similar safety profile. You may want to check that out before doing any change.

Koolbite

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in situation not very far from yours :

Switched from fina to Dutatestide somewhere between 2013/2015 (had been on fina more or less 10 years) after i spoted that my temples had receided a little bit. I couldn't be sure if it was the fina that was loosing its effectivness after years of maintenance or if it was just a very slow and progressive recession that was eventually becoming apparent. Anyway i decided to go for the strongest weapon avalaible, Duta.

From the perspective i have now, i would say that i haven't noticed a real difference in my hairloss after staring Duta : still the same very slow and progressive recession. Hard to know how things would have evolved had i sticked with fina but i's a possibility that would actually be in the same position.

Also tried minoxidil 5%, twice, when i was on fina, and another time 1 year after the switch : both time it didn't do anything, no regrowth, no shed, no nothing. For some reason i have never experienced a real sheading at any point by the way. Just a slow and steady recesion that brought me from Norwood 1.5 at age 22 to 2.5 (left) / 3 (right) today.

The reason why i am now searching for an alternative is that i have recently made a couple of fertility tests and both were very bad.
Having done no test at the time i was on fina i don't know if those results are exclusively or just partially due to duta but anyhow i have to take a stepback.

My plan C is to switch back to fina but adding an inhibitor and redo the tests a few months later and if they are still bad then i will also stop fina. As for the inhibitor i'm currently hesitating between RU or CB. My first thought was to try RU waiting for CB to be released but post like yours make me think again. By the way do you apply RU once or twice daily ? 80 mg seems like a very high dose for one application...

Also you should read the Thread about topical duta. Could turn out to be the ideal solution if we can get away with one application a week without it going systemic. It's still being tested by other members but you can check the thread for more infos (they have created a private conversation recently thought). i'm keeping a close eye on that !

The dermaroller is another option that i keep in the vault if plan C dosen't work... I'm bit concerned about minoxidil provoking skin aging although i didn't notice anything while on it but i was younger then and not really paying attention. Could this just be a myth or there some serious studies behind it ?

So yeah basicaly my idea is to get the same treatment as you : fina + CB, exept i'm still hesitating between RU/CB. There is this other member, El Duterino, that is promoting it and providing a helpful experience but i'd still like to find more feedback as it is the most expensive option on the table.

I'll start looking outside of this forum to and will let you know if i find interesting stuffs..

Thanks !

Last edited:

Plan C

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey how do you mix your RU? Also where do you buy the 15% mixture? As I use the same from a compound pharmacy called Murray Avenue Apothecary.

Thread:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...oxidil-finasteride-mixture-check-here.126633/

There is a guy on here I forgot his name, starts with E and he posted a thread recently on CB0301 as thats what he uses and did use everything you are currently are on......

This is the guy, speak to him as he would give you the best advice, he has used everything your currently using etc.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ical-anti-androgen-fda-approved-today.129240/

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe you actually put me in touch with MAA/Susan. This is the service I still use :)

finasteride and duta have a similar safety profile. You may want to check that out before doing any change.

You raise a fair point; particularly as dutasteride is approved in Japan and Korea for treating alopecia. That being said, starving your body of DHT for 6 years must have some adverse consequences, even if they're not immediately clear...

Hi,

I'm in situation not very far from yours :

Switched from fina to Dutatestide somewhere between 2013/2015 (had been on fina more or less 10 years) after i spoted that my temples had receided a little bit. I couldn't be sure if it was the fina that was loosing its effectivness after years of maintenance or if it was just a very slow and progressive recession that was eventually becoming apparent. Anyway i decided to go for the strongest weapon avalaible, Duta.

From the perspective i have now, i would say that i haven't noticed a real difference in my hairloss after staring Duta : still the same very slow and progressive recession. Hard to know how things would have evolved had i sticked with fina but i's a possibility that would actually be in the same position.

Also tried minoxidil 5%, twice, when i was on fina, and another time 1 year after the switch : both time it didn't do anything, no regrowth, no shed, no nothing. For some reason i have never experienced a real sheading at any point by the way. Just a slow and steady recesion that brought me from Norwood 1.5 at age 22 to 2.5 (left) / 3 (right) today.

The reason why i am now searching for an alternative is that i have recently made a couple of fertility tests and both were very bad.
Having done no test at the time i was on fina i don't know if those results are exclusively or just partially due to duta but anyhow i have to take a stepback.

My plan C is to switch back to fina but adding an inhibitor and redo the tests a few months later and if they are still bad then i will also stop fina. As for the inhibitor i'm currently hesitating between RU or CB. My first thought was to try RU waiting for CB to be released but post like yours make me think again. By the way do you apply RU once or twice daily ? 80 mg seems like a very high dose for one application...

Also you should read the Thread about topical duta. Could turn out to be the ideal solution if we can get away with one application a week without it going systemic. It's still being tested by other members but you can check the thread for more infos (they have created a private conversation recently thought). i'm keeping a close eye on that !

The dermaroller is another option that i keep in the vault if plan C dosen't work... I'm bit concerned about minoxidil provoking skin aging although i didn't notice anything while on it but i was younger then and not really paying attention. Could this just be a myth or there some serious studies behind it ?

So yeah basicaly my idea is to get the same treatment as you : fina + CB, exept i'm still hesitating between RU/CB. There is this other member, El Duterino, that is promoting it and providing a helpful experience but i'd still like to find more feedback as it is the most expensive option on the table.

I'll start looking outside of this forum to and will let you know if i find interesting stuffs..

Thanks !

A number of forum members have indicated that RU or CB is needed to stop receding at the temples because finasteride/dutasteride doesn't lower testosterone levels, which can hurt your hairline. RU/CB, on the other hand, stops DHT and testosterone from binding with androgen receptors in the scalp. This theory seems to lend itself to your experiences. I think that finasteride/dutasteride are more effective for maintaining density.

I use 80mg RU once a day; this was the norm when I first started using RU, with some members using 100mg-120mg once a day. If you check Anagen's website, they sell solutions of 8% (80mg/ml) and 5% (50mg/ml), so I think that these are still common concentrations to use. In fairness, I have now switched to 50mg once a day, with a view to ultimately using CB instead.

I haven't noticed any accelerated ageing from dermarolling, but I do feel that treatments are much more likely to go systemic if you dermaroll. The consequences of this could be worse than ageing.

It does sound like your circumstances are similar to mine, as I've also never really experienced a major shed from dutasteride. I think the key difference here is the addition of RU and 15% minoxidil.

My advice is; opt for CB. I think RU or CB will slow (or stop) the receding at your temples. There have, however, always been rumours about the effect of RU on the heart. In theory, if RU goes systemic, it could stop androgens binding with receptors throughout your body. Bear in mind the sides I initially experienced on RU; shortness of breath and heart palpitations. My understanding is that CB is neutralised if it enters your bloodstream and cannot therefore have this effect.

Last edited:

Plan C

Established Member
Reaction score

Thread:

I mix RU in 0.3ml PG and 0.7ml ethanol.

jazz1

Reaction score
I mix RU in 0.3ml PG and 0.7ml ethanol.

Awesome, your regime looks strong, surely you wouldn’t need to change stuff right? I have kept RU58841 for future reference as I have tried this in KB Solution at 5% and I had side effects. This was prior to being on Topical Finasteride and Murray Avenue Apothecary lotion mixture.

telogen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hydroxyflutamide is cheaper then CB and more potent then both CB and ru 58841.
It's been used in medicine since the 80's so it's effect in the body is greatly understood.
Should be considered

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I only have had a major side with RU58841 once.. which was last night. I normally use 50mg and don't have any issues. I tried 100mg and my scalp was very itchy and I couldn't get an erection. This morning my dick seemed to function normally, but my scalp was very dry and flaky.

Hairguru

My Regimen
Reaction score
I only have had a major side with RU58841 once.. which was last night. I normally use 50mg and don't have any issues. I tried 100mg and my scalp was very itchy and I couldn't get an erection. This morning my dick seemed to function normally, but my scalp was very dry and flaky.

How do you mix it?

Plan C

Established Member
Reaction score
Awesome, your regime looks strong, surely you wouldn’t need to change stuff right? I have kept RU58841 for future reference as I have tried this in KB Solution at 5% and I had side effects. This was prior to being on Topical Finasteride and Murray Avenue Apothecary lotion mixture.

This regime is having the desired effect but I'm worried about the long-term implications of taking such a heavy duty approach, and therefore thinking of switching to finasteride + CB.

jazz1

Reaction score
This regime is having the desired effect but I'm worried about the long-term implications of taking such a heavy duty approach, and therefore thinking of switching to finasteride + CB.

Ah I see, but I understand your current regime is working right?

Plan C

Established Member
Reaction score
Ah I see, but I understand your current regime is working right?

It is working, yes. I am currently trying just dutasteride + 15% minoxidil (no RU); will let you know if my hair begins to deteriorate.

I have been looking at the latest minoxidil compound I received from MAA and it appears to have the following formula:

Minoxidil 15%, azelaic acid 5%, finasteride 0.1%, retinoic acid 0.025%, progesterone 0.25%, hydrocortisone 0.1%

I thought the azelaic acid content was previously 1.5% + there was 3% biotin too?

jazz1

Reaction score
It is working, yes. I am currently trying just dutasteride + 15% minoxidil (no RU); will let you know if my hair begins to deteriorate.

I have been looking at the latest minoxidil compound I received from MAA and it appears to have the following formula:

I thought the azelaic acid content was previously 1.5% + there was 3% biotin too?

Awesome man I will keep track, they did have 1.5% azelaic acid along time ago but I believe it’s the same now as Belgravia 5%. The biotin could be added best to confirm by sending them an email as their Acetyl Glutathione mixture also has biotin.

What do you order or add in your mixture? As you can change the formula so that would all depend what you added?

When you filled the prescription did you tick all the ingredients? Plus when the pharmacy contact you for payment and before making payment you can make clear what you want added/removed depending what you filled when doing the prescription...... Otherwise they take the payment and process your order according to what you ticked on the prescription website form.

Plan C

Established Member
Reaction score
Awesome man I will keep track, they did have 1.5% azelaic acid along time ago but I believe it’s the same now as Belgravia 5%. The biotin could be added best to confirm by sending them an email as their Acetyl Glutathione mixture also has biotin.

What do you order or add in your mixture? As you can change the formula so that would all depend what you added?

When you filled the prescription did you tick all the ingredients? Plus when the pharmacy contact you for payment and before making payment you can make clear what you want added/removed depending what you filled when doing the prescription...... Otherwise they take the payment and process your order according to what you ticked on the prescription website form.

I was originally using the Promox formula, which you gave me on the Hairlosshelp forum (I was using the username MaxyG).

What formula are you using now? I've asked MAA to confirm the formula I'm on, but they are not responding.

Plan C

Established Member
Reaction score

Also, do you use your minoxidil once or twice a day?

jazz1

Reaction score
I was originally using the Promox formula, which you gave me on the Hairlosshelp forum (I was using the username MaxyG).

What formula are you using now? I've asked MAA to confirm the formula I'm on, but they are not responding.

Oh ok, shame about hairloss help I enjoyed that forum and now it’s closed permanently right?

I am using the same formula as Promox as when Dr Klein passed away they instantly stopped selling his prescription formula. So I had one year supply at the time, which gave me time to search for alternative options and that’s when I found Susan MAA.

This is my formula:

Lotion Base
15% Minoxidil
0.1% Finasteride
5% Azelaic Acid
0.25% Progesterone
0.025% Tretinoin
0.1% Hydocortisone

What’s your name and email? When did you order? Send me a message on your details and I will send an email for you and CC you in the email to their lab manager and the owner so they will reply.

Last edited:

jazz1

Reaction score
Also, do you use your minoxidil once or twice a day?

Once as it contains 0.1% Finasteride which is the recommended 1mg, I use their pump squirt, which is 1ml at 6 squirts. I also use 5% Regaine foam as an alternative, I did try 5% Lipogaine which irritated my scalp even more, some stick with normal 5%. I basically copy the Belgravia Clinic protocol as I used them for a year way back in 2010.