6 Months On Finasteride And Still Losing Hair...

clayclay

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been taking 1mg propecia each for 6 months and I'm still losing hair.

Does propecia completly stop hair loss ? (I mean almost 0 hair lost each day)

I've heard it's normal to lose 50/100 hair each day even for those with no male pattern baldness. So do you still shed a bit on propecia ?

For example, after showering, I can find between 5 and 10 hairs on my comb. And when I shampoo maybe 5 hair on my hand.

Thanks

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have before and after pictures to compare? finasteride is supposed to slow or halt hair loss in most men. Only some get regrowth. For me it didn't work at all, Im positive it actually made things worse but that's a story for another time.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Short of a huge massive shed I would stay on finasteride 2 years minimum no matter what. Check it at 1 year. If at 2 years its worse I might drop it, but there is no good reason to stop the single most effective treatment without giving it the longest time possible to get results.
Just maintenance is success. You cant expect to see hair grow back which I know discourages some people.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Short of a huge massive shed I would stay on finasteride 2 years minimum no matter what. Check it at 1 year. If at 2 years its worse I might drop it, but there is no good reason to stop the single most effective treatment without giving it the longest time possible to get results.
Just maintenance is success. You cant expect to see hair grow back which I know discourages some people.
Good advice but we both know its not the most effective ;) It's definitely the safest out of the lot though.

clayclay

Reaction score

My hairloss is not that bad so maintenance is enough for me.
But I'm still shedding...maybe 5/10 hairs on the comb after showering. I'm wondering if it's normal or not ?

CinnamonRoll

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hairloss is not that bad so maintenance is enough for me.
But I'm still shedding...maybe 5/10 hairs on the comb after showering. I'm wondering if it's normal or not ?
Fairly normal. Once I started on Propecia it slowed my loss by a lot. And I was only taking 0.25mg every 4 days(I had a very bad misunderstanding of the implications of its half-life). Anyway, even on that insanely low dose I only regressed 0.1 Norwood over about 18 months. Going to 0.25mg every other day stopped it altogether. Sometimes I have easily 20 hairs in the shower. But my density and hairline are holding up. I've been using it for 4 1/2 years now.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding is not a big deal, even huge sheds, as long as your hair is growing. A lot of dogs shed constantly and women shed constantly but they don't necessarily go bald!

clayclay

Reaction score
Shedding is not a big deal, even huge sheds, as long as your hair is growing. A lot of dogs shed constantly and women shed constantly but they don't necessarily go bald!

Ok thanks I was sure with propecia hairloss stopped completly and you didn't lose any more hair during the day or shower (not even one !)

Jpon541

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know this is an old post. But hang in there. Hair cycles take a long time. I thought i was balding at a more rapid rate and then i had a bunch of regrowth around the 1 year mark. If the hairs have white bulbs then that means it's just shedding and will grow back. As long as you keep seeing darker hairs, you're good. Hope this helps.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know this is an old post. But hang in there. Hair cycles take a long time. I thought i was balding at a more rapid rate and then i had a bunch of regrowth around the 1 year mark. If the hairs have white bulbs then that means it's just shedding and will grow back. As long as you keep seeing darker hairs, you're good. Hope this helps.

The dude hasn’t even been on the website for almost 2 years lol