5316 FUE and BHT with Dr. Umar week of 12/04 - with pics

coolguy

Reaction score
Yeah, but I think it looks like bad angulation of the transplanted grafts... normal hair does not grow straight up..

G

I assume you are referring to the grafts in the frontal zone including the hairline right? They are fine. The quality of his hair is that where lots of body or volume is realized when the hair grows out. Meaning, if the angulation is brought the other direction too much, the grown out hair will want to lay flatter against the scalp. There are cases where hyper-angulation of the grafts placed can attain more surface coverage and some docs recommend this with the more advanced hairloss and thinner, finer hair characteristics.

Lorenzo_91

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks good if you get good growth it will look better buzzed and then it might not look weird. Plus people will think you have hair.

coolguy

Reaction score
Hyper-angulation of the hairs in the hairline is important to make it look more natural...

Taz

Reaction score
Thanks guys.. I'm hoping to let it grow out, and just get the rest of it trimmed to keep it in line.. I also took these pics right after getting out of the shower, so some of the hair is still a bit wet. That may be causing it to look like it was growing at a weird angle in some of the pics.
We'll see how long I hold out until I trim it down.. I've left it alone last month just to see month-by-month growth between month 3 and 4.. :hairy:

I think from the eariler posts you can see the angle of the graphs quite a bit better.. I guess that is a good thing because the hair is growing so much it is tough to see the graph points now.. :)

Taz

balloonman

Reaction score
TAZ: I dont want to be the one to frighten you but, I will bet you a dime to a dollar that all of the scalp hair he planted (1300 according to your posts) were planted in the frontal third or the hairline.

Am I correct? You didnt mention which hair was used in which areas of the scalp only 1300 scalp and the rest was BH.

I say this because what you see growing is the scalp hair and that is what will continue to grow. What I am afraid is going to happen is that the scalp hair will continue to grow and thicken in the coming months and the BH will never grow.

Be forewarned, every Dr on earth who performs BH will BS you into thinking it takes longer to grow and not to panic until 18 months or even 2 years post op. All they are doing is buying time, if it isnt growing in one year it aint gonna grow in 2 or 4 or 10. Certainly there have been rare occasions where grafts remained dormant for 12 months and did start spouting late, just as there are those 1 in a million patients who retain 95% of their grafts after a transplant without shedding.

The vast majority of patients (99%) experience neither of those phenomenons so, I hope I am wrong and the BH catches up with the scalp hair. I am certain you will continue to document your growth and look forward to your success.

Taz

Reaction score
balloonman said:
TAZ: I dont want to be the one to frighten you but, I will bet you a dime to a dollar that all of the scalp hair he planted (1300 according to your posts) were planted in the frontal third or the hairline.

Am I correct? You didnt mention which hair was used in which areas of the scalp only 1300 scalp and the rest was BH.

I say this because what you see growing is the scalp hair and that is what will continue to grow. What I am afraid is going to happen is that the scalp hair will continue to grow and thicken in the coming months and the BH will never grow.

Be forewarned, every Dr on earth who performs BH will BS you into thinking it takes longer to grow and not to panic until 18 months or even 2 years post op. All they are doing is buying time, if it isnt growing in one year it aint gonna grow in 2 or 4 or 10. Certainly there have been rare occasions where grafts remained dormant for 12 months and did start spouting late, just as there are those 1 in a million patients who retain 95% of their grafts after a transplant without shedding.

The vast majority of patients (99%) experience neither of those phenomenons so, I hope I am wrong and the BH catches up with the scalp hair. I am certain you will continue to document your growth and look forward to your success.

Thanks for the comments Balloonman.. I was initially worried about this when talking with Dr. Umar before the surgery. Because my body hair was very fine, the Dr. thought it would work very well for the hairline, and he was not worried about the growth, so he used mainly hair from my shin and chest. I know this not only because he told me, but because I didn't get any shots in my head/scalp extraction points until the second day of the proceedure, after the hairline was mainly done. :)
So there may be some scalp hair directly behind the hairline, maybe interspersed, so I guess it is fair to say the vast majority of the hairline was body hair only. :hairy:

Thanks again!
Taz

balloonman

Reaction score
Let me rephrase the question..

Is the hair that we see growing in the photos scalp hair or body hair?

Certainly the first cm of hairline could be BH but, if scalp hair was used directly behind the hairline then that is what we are seeing.

A better explanation would be: Why is there no hair growing everywhere if the BH and scalp hair were intermixed? Why do we only see the frontal third growing and nothing in the midscalp and crown?

coolguy

Reaction score
Taz: Just a question;

When your hair is dry, does it stand straight up, or is the angulation "forward"? Im concidering Dr. Umar for a transplant, but only if he transplant the grafts in a natural angulation, which means not straight up.

How old are you btw?

-cool-

Taz

Reaction score
balloonman said:
Let me rephrase the question..

Is the hair that we see growing in the photos scalp hair or body hair?

Certainly the first cm of hairline could be BH but, if scalp hair was used directly behind the hairline then that is what we are seeing.

A better explanation would be: Why is there no hair growing everywhere if the BH and scalp hair were intermixed? Why do we only see the frontal third growing and nothing in the midscalp and crown?

:D

1. The area you see now growing is both BHT ( 4000 + graphs closest to the front and intermixed through out the implant area ) and FUE ( about 1300 graphs mainly intermixed throughout the implant area ).
2. The reason that there is no hair growing in the midscalp and crown, is because there were no implants there.

The line that was used as the "back" of the implant area was approx straight across in front of my ears over top of the head. Basically, hold a string over the top of the head, with the endpoints in front of each ear, and you will have that 'line'. All graphs were implanted forward from that "line". .
Hopefully though, the rest will be done sometime in the future.. :)

Did that help?

Taz

Reaction score
coolguy said:
Taz: Just a question;

When your hair is dry, does it stand straight up, or is the angulation "forward"? Im concidering Dr. Umar for a transplant, but only if he transplant the grafts in a natural angulation, which means not straight up.

How old are you btw?

-cool-

No problem.. The hair is at an angle forward at the hairline when it was implanted. I could tell because as it started growing, it was much 'softer' to the touch when I would run my hand from the midscalp toward my hairline. Going backwards toward the crown from the hairline, it seemed that all the hairs were standing up. I think the combination of the hair being a bit short, and me pushing it back all the time, makes it look like it is standing straight up. I've always liked my hair parted in the middle, so I push the hair back all the time, more like the 80's feather look ( don't I wish! ). It is starting to take hold even now at this early stage. :)

I can say that the Dr. was very careful with the angles of the hair, but especially at the hairline to make it look very natural. The whole proceedure took 4 days, 1.5 + of which were on the hairline only.

BTW.. I'm 37 :freaked:

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Great pics, you should blog your progress for the site. Can you do the crown in one session, or more like two? Keep posting pics. You have have gotten FUE I take it?

Taz

Reaction score
klink said:
Great pics, you should blog your progress for the site. Can you do the crown in one session, or more like two? Keep posting pics. You have have gotten FUE I take it?

Thanks Klink. I've thought about a blog, just haven't had time to get that together yet.. maybe soon.. :)

The rest may take 2 sessions. I'm not sure on what the plan will be for that yet.

What you see in the pictures is mainly BHT, and some FUE.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
Hey Taz

really interesting journey you are on and makes for great viewing!

big difference in months 3-4 ,defintely keep us all updated,happy growing!

:)

Taz

Reaction score
klink said:
Taz, also on nizoral, Min, finasteride?

Right now just on Minoxidil.. :)

Taz

Reaction score
gillenator said:
Have you tried finasteride (Propecia)?

Not yet. I just switched from the PG free Minoxidil to the minoxidil Foam.