5316 FUE and BHT with Dr. Umar week of 12/04 - with pics

Taz

Reaction score
I just finished my hair transplant sessions with Dr. Umar last week. I was a NW6, and it was important to me that BHT was part of the process because I did not want to use all my head hair for possible future sessions.
I was scheduled for 5000 grafts, which he believed would be done within 5 days with no issues. It ended up being 4 days and 5316 grafts because of the BHT yield, and Dr. Umar does not and will not charge for any extra grafts that are in each session, so I got 300+ graft for free.. :D
All consent forms and consoltations had been done already via Email/phone contact, so when I arrived on Tuesday morning, there was only the basic exams and paperwork to finish before the Dr. started.
After a brief exam from the Dr, he noticed that I had psoriasis that was just starting on my scalp ( which was news to me ), but he fully explained what this could mean for the transplant and that it did not jeopardize my proceedure as long as I kept and eye on it after I left his office. Dr. Umar is also a board certified dermatologist, so he was able to perscribe medication to help with the psoriasis also. That was a bonus.. :)
Everything except the graft 'cleaning' is done by Dr. Umar only.

In the end, I had 1300 FUE and rest was all BHT..

My overall experience was very good. I was able to watch tv, or DVDs if I wished, and lunch was included each day. I was at the clinic at 8:30am every morning, and don't think I left until after 10pm each night. Very long days, but I believe it will be well worth the outcome. :D Feel free to contact me with any questions.

The pics are from 3 days post op. The shin extraction point was from day 1 and the chest from days 2-4. The camera is not great, but I think you can zoom in on the pics to get a better view...

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4017.jpg

IMG_4012.jpg

IMG_4015.jpg

[/url]

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sounds interesting! Looking forward to see how this goes. Please keep us informed!

CCS

Reaction score
wow, that is a large area of smooth bald scalp you are trying to cover. Glad you are doing the BHT. Your normal donor hair would not be enough. I doubt your hair will be nearly as thick as you would like it to be after the first procedure, though it will help your appearance. You will probably need a second procedure that size to gave moderate density.

Taz

Reaction score
Thanks guys

I'll keep updating as it progresses... fingers crossed.. :D

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wow, I hope that turns out! I have to look into this. I have TONS of body hair but am totally out of donor hair. Any idea what the scars if any on your chest and legs will look like?

Taz

Reaction score
scars

recboi,
I talked with the doctor about this and he believed there would be none because of my skin type ( lighter ) and his extraction technique. He has some pictures on his web site and many other repair pictures that back up this claim also..
Currently all extraction points are healing nicely with just a little scabbing and redness left ( the picture makes it look much worse.. ) :)
I will post again once they are healed for comparison..

Thanks!

ShedMaster

Reaction score
i don't quite understand transplanting donor hair from the legs and chest. does this mean it will have the same pigmentation and color as that hair? I don't know many people who have the same hair type on their body as their scalp. how does that work?

CCS

Reaction score
I cut my hair, and then buzzed all my body hair, and when I looked at the two piles, they were about the same collor. My head hair was courser and a bit glossier and a bit darker, but about the same. I think the body hair would blend in fine.

I'm not going to do BHT because I'm affraid of the scars it might leave on my legs. I've seen women who used to wax their legs, and there are little scars around each pore. On a hot day those scars can turn red. I'm sure it looks fine from far, but I'd be worried how it looks up close.

As for the head, hairs that thin may look more like fur than hair, but that is better than showing scalp.

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: scars

Taz said:
recboi,
I talked with the doctor about this and he believed there would be none because of my skin type ( lighter ) and his extraction technique. He has some pictures on his web site and many other repair pictures that back up this claim also..
Currently all extraction points are healing nicely with just a little scabbing and redness left ( the picture makes it look much worse.. ) :)

Thanks!

Where is this doctor? My only problem is that my hair on my head is curly, but my body hair is straight.. But right now, I wouldn't car. Unfortunately body hair cannot grow as long as head hair.....

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I cut my hair, and then buzzed all my body hair, and when I looked at the two piles, they were about the same collor. My head hair was courser and a bit glossier and a bit darker, but about the same. I think the body hair would blend in fine.

I'm not going to do BHT because I'm affraid of the scars it might leave on my legs. I've seen women who used to wax their legs, and there are little scars around each pore. On a hot day those scars can turn red. I'm sure it looks fine from far, but I'd be worried how it looks up close.

As for the head, hairs that thin may look more like fur than hair, but that is better than showing scalp.

Don't people lose body hair as they age though? I mean, look at old guys who almost totall lose their facial hair and eye brows in old age....... Google pics of yassir Arafat if you need an example of this.. But I have TONS of body hair (thank God no back hair though)..

Taz

Reaction score

recboi said:
Taz said:
recboi,

Thanks!

Where is this doctor? My only problem is that my hair on my head is curly, but my body hair is straight.. But right now, I wouldn't car. Unfortunately body hair cannot grow as long as head hair.....

Dr. Umar is located in Southern California ( Redondo Beach ).

All - I don't know the answers to the questions about curly vs. straight body hair being used. You could Email the Dr. directly, his contact info is on his web site. I'll post the link here here so you don't have to look it up.. :)

http://www.dermhairclinic.com/contactus.html

There was also some concern when I posted this on a separate forum that I was advertising for Dr. Umar. This is not the case. I posted to get more info out about BHT, from a satisfied customer.

Thanks!

michael barry

Reaction score
Cole has done a study where he transplanted body hair in various densities and has found a "problem".

The "problem" is that body hair at four and a half months does much better at lower densities. 30 grafts per cm. was the most optimal number of grafts. Thats only roughly 75 grafts per square inch. That might be 90 hairs or so. Not thick coverage. When grafting higher densiites, his yield wasnt good. That does not mean that hair will not eventually grow, but it may be a good while.

I think, or have speculated upon, a reason for this difference between head and body hair and why you can implant head hair more densley than body hair. It has to do with signalling between the hairs. If youre a hairy guy (like me), and all your body hair grew at once, you'd look like an ape. We have that much body hair. Its quite possible that body hair sends of signals that tells other body hair very close to it not to grow if they are really right next to each other. Thus stopping this from happening.

We have seen in experiments that in many cases body hair WILL INDEED grow long on your scalp. Six inch lengths have been recorded scientifically. But the density involved in that transplant was NOT extreme or anything. It was kinda sparse. Woods did it with an older blonde man with mucho scarring and very sparse donor hair years ago.

About the best idea in transplanation that Ive seen in the FIT farming or donor exchange protocol whereby a guy gets a standard FUE-type transplant, and in the little donor holes in the back of the head, the Doctor places body hair transplants. It actually adds hair to the head.

Body hair does present some problems however. Propecia is about as strong as an antiandrogen one would want to do with it. Sprio or revovogen added to finasteride on the body hair really would suppress it. As a matter of fact, it would probably be best to use a topical anti-androgen away from the body hair on the head so no anti-androgens effect the body hair up there at all.

For the record, Ive seen four body hair transplants in total where I can honestly say "gee that guy has added quite a bit to his head". There have been two "wow" results thusfar. One hairline by Cole in particular. Thats it.

BHT's are in their infancy. To be honest, I expect cloning to become available about the time BHT's really get refined. For now however, Scalp hair is the first choice if one has enough of it, and BHT's should be considered auxiallary "helper" hair to supplement men who dont have enough donor.

G

Taz,

Many of us appreciate your willingness to share pics of your BH mega-session. I truly hope you continue to share your pics into the future as it's extremely rare to see these larger BH cases, and their corresponding yields. I too have seen some amazing results with BH such as Heliboy who had lots of BH to date. However, the results with BHTs across the board are still inconsistent regarding yields and visual aesthetics (compatible characteristics). We do know that BH follicles have shorter anagen periods and longer telogen periods so the jury is still out for a couple more years. Some patients who feel their BH yields were failures may start to see new growth as long as 24 to 36 months post-op!

I presume the 1300 FUE went to the hairline area and the rest of the BH grafts behind it? I think it's wise to locate the BH grafts in less visually impacted areas and scalp donor in the frontal third with some BH mixed in with it. I personally would not have committed to a BH session that large in the first procedue, but rather would have done a test session and then documented the yields from the various donor sources. That's not to say you won't have good results, it's just a safer and more conservative approach from my perspective.

Do you have class 7 in your family history? Your existing hair in the lateral humps look strong and not diffused. No doubt you are in a class 6. I think you should be able to attain some fairly decent visual density if you respond well to the BHT. You appear to have good hair quality and caliper. It's also helpful that you do not have real dark hair color.

I'm also curious if by chance Dr. Umar discussed the future use of minoxidil with you? IMO, it can help to promote longer anagen periods and improve caliper in your BH as it grows in your scalp.

Would you be willing to share with us your healed body donor sites once complete healing has taken place? Are you using Mederma or any other product on the wounds?

Keep us in the loop and I wish you the best yield and overall result! :hairy:

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Taz said:
recboi said:
Taz said:
recboi,

Thanks!

Dr. Umar is located in Southern California ( Redondo Beach ).

All - I don't know the answers to the questions about curly vs. straight body hair being used. You could Email the Dr. directly, his contact info is on his web site. I'll post the link here here so you don't have to look it up.. :)

http://www.dermhairclinic.com/contactus.html

There was also some concern when I posted this on a separate forum that I was advertising for Dr. Umar. This is not the case. I posted to get more info out about BHT, from a satisfied customer.

Thanks!

Thanks, I'm gonna wait and see your results. I think mine is a little more complicated because I would want him to narrow my forehead several centimeters and then fill in gaps. Posts for last year called into question Dr. Umar's abilities, though I didn't really read much into it.

Taz

Reaction score
Hello All,
Got some updated pictures now, after about 17 days post op. As you can see, there has been some graft sheding, and may be more, but it seems that everything has healed quite well.. The donor area in the chest and leg are still a bit red, but it is fading more everyday.. The scabs on my head fell of last Monday, which was about the 10th day post op.. Right now, there does not look like there will be any scaring from the donor areas, even with my initial problem with psoriasis, which is very good news. :D

Gillenator: It was mainly the FUE that was in the hairline, plus some leg BHT right behind it. My leg hair is still very fine, and the Dr. believed it would work out very well. I was a bit worried about such a large session ( so was my wife.. :D ), but I'd had many discussions with the Dr, and he felt confident that it would work out well.. Dr. Umar also has other patients that I researched with large BHT sessions also with success, so that helped ease my mind as well.. I do have NW7 on both sides of my family, so it looked like there is no escaping that fate for me.. :)
The Dr. recommended a PG free Minoxidil to use at least for the first few months after the surgery.. He told me what PG free was, but I've since forgot ( blame it on getting old and the Holidays I guess ).. I will continue to post as this progresses...

recboi: I can only suggest talking to the Dr. about your proceedure. I found that he was very good with getting back to me via Email, and answering my questions..

michael barry: I've heard of some of the reports on lower density, and I'm sorry I can't comment more on my sitiuation, but I know it will be a higher density than I had before, and only time will tell how much growth/density I have now.. Fingers crossed.. :)

I'm not sure if Heliboy posts on this forum or not, but he had remarkable results in both density and growth with his 14000 BHT session.. He has a web site dedicated to his transplant I believe, so if he is around, he may post his link..

Thanks for all the well wishes! I will post more as the healing continues.. :)

Happy Holidays!

head1-2weeks800.jpg

head2-2weeks800.jpg

chest2weeks800.jpg

leg1-2weeks800.jpg

G

Taz,

Please allow me to help you with the memory thing. I am not speaking for Dr. Umar however I would bet anything when he said "PG", he was referring to propylene glycol, one of the inactive ingredients found in many minoxidil hair products.

Your recipient areas and donor zones look remarkably well regarding healing and considering how many days you are post-op. Many of us will be waiting to see the yield and visual compatibility with the BH. Also glad to hear that FUE was put in the front, the higher visual impact areas. Are you using Mederma or some other product for the body extraction sites?

Heliboy has been posting his results on Hairsite.

Taz

Reaction score
gillenator said:
Taz,

Please allow me to help you with the memory thing. I am not speaking for Dr. Umar however I would bet anything when he said "PG", he was referring to propylene glycol, one of the inactive ingredients found in many minoxidil hair products.

Your recipient areas and donor zones look remarkably well regarding healing and considering how many days you are post-op. Many of us will be waiting to see the yield and visual compatibility with the BH. Also glad to hear that FUE was put in the front, the higher visual impact areas. Are you using Mederma or some other product for the body extraction sites?

Heliboy has been posting his results on Hairsite.

Hey Gilenator,
PG - propylene glycol does seem to ring a bell.. Thanks for the info! :)

On the body, and hair extraction sites both, the Dr. prescribed Erythromycin, and Triamcinolone. This may differ from normal because I was diagnosed with psoriasis before the transplant, and I believe the Triamcinolone was for the psoriasis.. It seems to be working very well though.. :D

I'll post more pics at the month time frame and then probably every month after that.. :)

Thanks again!

saucemcbrolock

Established Member
Reaction score
so not to sound like im jk but i shave my pubes for years. can i have my pubes put on my head. there thicker than regular body hair? lol i wouldnt tell any one lol

Taz

Reaction score
saucemcbrolock said:
so not to sound like im jk but i shave my pubes for years. can i have my pubes put on my head. there thicker than regular body hair? lol i wouldnt tell any one lol

saucemcbrolock: this would be a question for the doctor. In my case, the DR said that he could use that hair.