50 Days Into 0.5mg finasteride Daily And My Test/estradiol/progesteron Levels Havent Really Changed

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm actually finally coming to terms with quitting finasteride and going bald. Have you been in finasteride since 96? If so, you think it's still working. one of the reasons I'm thinking of quitting is because I don't think it's working as well as it used to.

No, I just started finasteride in March. Making it this from 1996 to 2019 was a miracle, but that's how long it took my hairline to go from Norwood 1 to 3.

What makes you think it's not working for you after twenty years?

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
Basically things are thinning where they seemed to have held up all this time. Back and front. I know it's never been proven to work on the front but I think it held onto frontal hairs for me.. but the back is also starting to thin out. Granted I've also been only taking it 3 times a week for the past 5 or 6 years - I stopped taking it everyday years ago.

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Basically things are thinning where they seemed to have held up all this time. Back and front. I know it's never been proven to work on the front but I think it held onto frontal hairs for me.. but the back is also starting to thin out. Granted I've also been only taking it 3 times a week for the past 5 or 6 years - I stopped taking it everyday years ago.
If you've been taking finasteride for 20 years, are you not like 40 years old? Sooner or later, age is gonna have an effect on hair.
Even women start thinning later in life.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I have been taking finasteride for over 14 years. I would say I started out slightly past a NW1 but diffuse in certain areas. I have lost density over the years but I would say I am only close to a NW2. I genetically tested positive for a poor responder to finasteride. How can I really prove that finasteride did absolutely nothing or is no longer working. You really can't prove it. These medications for hair loss are only buying you time and possibly offsetting your final Norwood pattern later in life. Basically, all you can do is take the medication and hope for the best. I know the medication is still working because I used to have more body hair when I was younger and after taking finasteride it decreased to the point that it never returned to baseline. I do use minoxidil and other treatments as well so I think synergistically they all work to offset my final pattern. No one and mean no one can predict their exact final Norwood pattern and what age it will happen. If you can do that let me know how.

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
If you've been taking finasteride for 20 years, are you not like 40 years old? Sooner or later, age is gonna have an effect on hair.
Even women start thinning later in life.

46 years old. Which probably does have something to do with, and kind of another reason to stop taking it. It's just time to let it go, at some point I need to stop taking it. I have no intentions of taking this pill for the rest of my life, now is as good as time as any.

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@md2002
In my opinion DHT is only counter productive, exspecially at your age. If you dont have side effects, i dont see the point in stopping.
I also think if age is effecting your hair, you should look into derma stamping. Finasteride is protective of the hair, but it doesnt initiate growth, like mk677 or derma stamping would

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@md2002
In my opinion DHT is only counter productive, exspecially at your age. If you dont have side effects, i dont see the point in stopping.
I also think if age is effecting your hair, you should look into derma stamping. Finasteride is protective of the hair, but it doesnt initiate growth, like mk677 or derma stamping would

How does mk677 cause hair growth? From what I know, it is supposed to help bodybuilders. It is said to induce growth hormones.