5 Days Experience! This Is How It Goes So Far

darios007

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, greetings everyone in the forum, to those who share experiences and teach us what they have learned with their hair systems; You can not imagine all the time I´ve spent reading your comments and posts during the last 2 years. I learned a lot and I was filled with enough courage to take the step 5 days ago.

Now it´s time for me to make my first post and tell you the experience and the doubts that I have so far. As general info I am 35 years old (I´ve lost my hair since my 20`s), I live in Colombia and my alopecia is a 3V on the Norwood scale. I opted for a mixed base system, with polyethylene back, a more breathable lace on the crown and a thinner lace type on the front.

1. Definitely change is HUGE and for good. The hair is identical to mine in color and integrates very well to my own hair.
2. I decided to tell my wife and my family, I wont (nor can I) hide all my life or walk with the fear that someone asks or looks strange. I talked them up front and although I recognize that it was not easy is well worth it.

Now, despite having read a million comments and posts, I have a thousand doubts and here I tell you how it feels to have the system on:

THE EXPERIENCE.
I didnt liked the saloon experience. We had to do 3 attempts to put it the way I wanted so the stylist was already in a rush and for this reason he used the same tapes twice. He took it off and put it again.

1. I think the front lace glue is not working well and last for 2 days before lift.

2. It feels like wearing a cap, I do not know if over time I will get used to it but the feeling is there. It is not uncomfortable but that how it feels.

3. I bathed with her yesterday before retouching the frontal. Question: Should I wait for some time before I wet it when it is just placed?

4. I have a bit of itching in the part of the tapes, it is not horrible but it bothers me. Is that normal?

5. Im using blue tapes (dont know the name sorry) but after 5 days they feel weak so the hair system does not feel solid. The problem is the tapes? The hairdresser told me that I could not use glue on the rest of my head because it could damage the hair system but I've seen it in thousands of videos of people doing that. What to do to achieve more firm hold time?

6. Definitely the front is not undetectable, I think the system has too much density and looks like a wall of hair coming out of my head. The stylist told me that that can be diminished but that then the system would be damaged faster. It does not look like something unreal but it's because the frontal is hidden by the hairstyle. Lower the density? Is it of poor quality?

7. Although I am happy with the overall experience, I want to buy a system in USA. I´ll go in about 30 days and I would love to be able to buy all the necessary products there. So I accept recommendations of: Shampoo, conditioner, glue and tapes of good duration (non-toxic), scalp protector , solvent, etc. I bought a kit here but I want the best products you could recommend.

Thanks a lot

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Darios, congratulations on taking your first step, which is always the most nerve-wracking I'm glad you are immediately able to say it was a good move. Here are a few thoughts I had from reading your comments:

1. There is something wrong if you are only getting 2 days of bond. What glue are you using?

2. Next time try a Swiss lace base - you can hardly feel that it is there.

3. You should try to wait 24 hours after gluing before wetting the system, including heavy sweating. This is to allow the glue to set fully. If it gets wet too soon it can spoil the bond, or turn the glue milky.

4. Be careful with itching. It may be an allergic reaction, so check your skin for irritation. If it is irritated, change to another type of adhesive, or use a skin protector.

5. Lots of wearers use glue all over the hair system. It should not cause damage provided you dissolve the glue with alcohol before you try to take the system off. I cannot understand your stylist's comments.

6. For a more natural look you need to order a graduated hairline next time - the piece will have a slightly lower density at the very front, increasing for the front 2 centimetres of the system. You can achieve the same effect yourself by soaking your piece and then - very carefully and gently - plucking out some of the hairs at the hairline. It is probably true that the system may not last as long, but that is just a fact of life: more realistic systems are more delicate and have lower density. You can buy a thick 200% density monofilament unit which will last for years, but everyone will know its fake.

7. Personally I just buy shampoo and conditioner from the local pharmacy - mild shampoo and good quality conditioner (I use American Crew). For solvent I just use 99% isopropyl alcohol, again from the local pharmacy. Tapes and glues are a matter of individual taste and body chemistry. I use Walker No-Shine tape for the back and sides, Davlyn Black glue or sometimes Walker 3-mil tape for the front hairline.

All the best, and have fun with your new look!

Noah

Rooftop93

My Regimen
Reaction score
Congrats Darios. I'm likely going to do the same thing as you within the next months.
Would you have some pictures?