47 Yrs Old And Receding/thinning Badly

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
So I’m 47yrs old and receding and thinning badly. It’s probably been going on for 15-20 years at least and I’ve been on Propecia and Rogaine (only in the front and the temples and only at night) for most of that time. I’ve also been using Nizoral once or twice a week for the better part of 10 years.

I recently stopped using the Rogaine because I feel like my hairline is getting even worse and the little “landing strip” in the front has gotten thinner (meaning not as wide) and also less dense. I havent been super-consistent with the Rogaine or the Nizoral, but I have used them more often than not over the years. I feel like I’m at a crossroads here because I’m considering stopping all treatments; however, I’m scared that things will get even worse if I stop. Things have certainly gotten worse despite the regimen that I’ve been on, but I obviously have no way of knowing for sure if it will all just fall out if I stop treatments altogether.

Other than shaving my head, what would you guys recommend I do at this point? I actually have somewhat decent coverage everywhere except the front and the temples, and I would like to hold on to that hair; however, I’m pretty devastated with how bad my hairline has gotten despite the regimen I’ve been on. I haven’t tried Avodart and I don’t know if I should bother at this point. Should I stick with the Propecia and Nizoral and add the Rogaine back in or am I just wasting time and money with that stuff?

I’m lucky because my wife doesn’t care about me losing my hair, but I’m having a really hard time with it. I don’t mind keeping it short like it is right now, but it’s so damn thin in the front it’s laughable. Looking at old pictures of myself is so depressing, and I feel like I’m a few months away from having nothing left in the front and being forced to shave my head completely.

Attachments

• 85FD1030-D83A-47F0-AD42-E06B88C042A4.jpeg
    85FD1030-D83A-47F0-AD42-E06B88C042A4.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 582

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
dutasteride + a hair transplant.

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
dutasteride + a hair transplant.

Thank you. I’m not even remotely interested in a hair transplant at this point, although I can certainly understand why you would recommend it. I would sooner shave it off and wait for replicel, follica, etc. I can usually notice a hair transplant from a mile away, and I don’t want one for myself - it’s just not for me.

I notice you said Dutasteride but not minoxidil. Is there a reason for that? I’m a little nervous about Duta because of the sides, but I am considering it.

Also, here’s another pic with no product in my hair (figured that gives a slightly better look, although it’s still not pretty).

Attachments

• F9516CDD-F06E-47E0-91D1-14400084DE4A.jpeg
    F9516CDD-F06E-47E0-91D1-14400084DE4A.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you. I’m not even remotely interested in a hair transplant at this point, although I can certainly understand why you would recommend it. I would sooner shave it off and wait for replicel, follica, etc. I can usually notice a hair transplant from a mile away, and I don’t want one for myself - it’s just not for me.

I notice you said Dutasteride but not minoxidil. Is there a reason for that? I’m a little nervous about Duta because of the sides, but I am considering it.

Also, here’s another pic with no product in my hair (figured that gives a slightly better look, although it’s still not pretty).

I just didn't recommend it because you stated that you dropped it. You could add it in again with dermarolling. Look at the thread by "Somebody" on here; he had great regrowth with finasteride, minoxidil, and dermarolling.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...inasteride-results-7-mo-treatment-pics.44087/

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
I just didn't recommend it because you stated that you dropped it. You could add it in again with dermarolling. Look at the thread by "Somebody" on here; he had great regrowth with finasteride, minoxidil, and dermarolling.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...inasteride-results-7-mo-treatment-pics.44087/
Thanks. I actually have that thread pulled up but it’s long and I haven’t gotten through all of it yet. I just bought some Rogaine foam, so I will use that in the morning and the liquid at night (the liquid takes WAY too long to dry so using it in the morning just isn’t practical). I thought about doing a dermastamp rather than a roller, but I need to do some research to figure out which one to get. I also don’t want to walk around with head wounds so I have to figure out if that’s practical or not. And I would probably prefer to stay on finasteride rather than dutasteride.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You don't have to shave your head completely

I used to be you, up until 2012. In fact, I'm only a year older than you.

For you it's NOT TOO LATE, it only is if we give up, my friend.

Remember that.

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
Well as of today I’m going to start using Rogaine foam twice a day. I’ll stick with the finasteride for now and the Nizoral will be twice a week. Still going to consider a dermastamp but I’m going to do some more research on that first.

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
does propecia maintained your hair ? or it become worse despite propecia ?
It got worse for sure. I don’t necessarily have any “before” pictures per se but I can certainly look back at older pictures of myself and see that I had more hair back in the day.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well as of today I’m going to start using Rogaine foam twice a day. I’ll stick with the finasteride for now and the Nizoral will be twice a week. Still going to consider a dermastamp but I’m going to do some more research on that first.

Smart decision.

Use EVERYTHING. And don't do a trial of one treatment, stop the other.

I'm actually older than you!

And if I can regrow my hair, you probably can to.

Attachments

• 219.jpg
    219.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 368

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
so fina didn't maitain your hairline ? crown ?
no before pics to compare ?

No, it definitely did not maintain my hairline. My crown is actually pretty good, but I don’t have any before pics of it. I’ll take a pic of my crown and post it when I can, but the crown isn’t an issue for - it’s my hairline that is bothering me. I was looking at some old pics of myself from like 4-5yrs ago, and the difference is significant. When you look at yourself every day you tend not to notice it so much because it seems more gradual, but I just cut my hair as short as it’s been in a long time and the hairline is terrible. My wife couldn’t care less, but as a man it bothers me and I really want to at least try to do something about it.

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
4 years ago? Seems pretty aggressive. I would say keep doing what you are doing and add SAW PAW and BIOTIN and other relatively in-expensive things. Maybe a small addition can make a good trigger for something to "maintain" or grow more.
I'd keep going, don't shave.
Give other things a try. If you can "maintain" you could try thickeners and concealers with what you have.
I'm 52.
Use .5 finasteride pill SAW PAW and BIOTIN everyday
Rogain 4 times a week.
nizoral 3 times a week.
And concealers.

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
4 years ago? Seems pretty aggressive. I would say keep doing what you are doing and add SAW PAW and BIOTIN and other relatively in-expensive things. Maybe a small addition can make a good trigger for something to "maintain" or grow more.
I'd keep going, don't shave.
Give other things a try. If you can "maintain" you could try thickeners and concealers with what you have.
I'm 52.
Use .5 finasteride pill SAW PAW and BIOTIN everyday
Rogain 4 times a week.
nizoral 3 times a week.
And concealers.

Well technically it was more like 4 yrs and 4 months ago, but it’s still a huge difference. I am going to try to find out exactly when I started taking Propecia but I know it’s been a long time (and it’s certainly way before that last pic).

I’m hoping that going to 2x/day with the Rogaine will make a difference since I’ve never done that before (and now that I’m doing it I know why I never did it before - it’s a real pain). I have a headache right now too but I’m hoping it’s a coincidence.

Thanks for the other recommendations on the other supplements too. I don’t mind adding them but I’d like to find one pill that has both maybe. I already take so many damn pills every day, so I’m hesitant to add more. I will check my multi-vitamin too because it may already have biotin in it (although it may not be enough).

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
Just checked my multi vitamin and it has 300mcg of biotin and 80mg of saw palmetto/pill (it’s one per day). Is that enough?