45-year-old: 20 Years On minoxidil And 18 Yrs On finasteride. Update And Next Steps

FrankieNYC

Reaction score
Hey all! It's been a year since this thread, thought I'd give an update. So, as stated on post 1, I tried PRP. I did 3 sessions, 1.5 months apart. Results: can't really say one way or another if it worked or not. One thing I did notice is that my scalp didn't itch for close to a week after each injection. Not sure if I should continue PRP

Still on Finasteride (1/3 of a 5mg tablet daily) and still on minoxidil foam 2x a day. I can't believe I've been on finasteride for 19 years and over 20+ years on minoxidil!

jazz1

Reaction score
Hey all! It's been a year since this thread, thought I'd give an update. So, as stated on post 1, I tried PRP. I did 3 sessions, 1.5 months apart. Results: can't really say one way or another if it worked or not. One thing I did notice is that my scalp didn't itch for close to a week after each injection. Not sure if I should continue PRP

Still on Finasteride (1/3 of a 5mg tablet daily) and still on minoxidil foam 2x a day. I can't believe I've been on finasteride for 19 years and over 20+ years on minoxidil!

That’s awesome, what’s your diet? You ever considered topical 15% minoxidil with anti androgen blockers for more regrowth alongside derma roller and hair oils?

I use a mixture from a pharmacy in America with great results, I add topical finesteride to my lotion.

check here:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...eck-here-for-alternative.121814/#post-1797859

Baldingdane

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Really impressive to see someone being on finasteride+MIN That long and maintain. Good speed Frankie!

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great results, I hope I can maintain as long as you.

avocado67

My Regimen
Reaction score

My dad and brothers are Norwood 6/7. I was on finasteride for 18 years and I maintained my hair for more than 15 years.

Because finasteride became less effective in the last 5 years and the side effects got progressively worse.I stopped about 8 months ago. I have started up on Minoxidil again. I have continued hair loss, but nothing significant. I'm getting the first of three hair transplants (staged over several years) this December because I believe I will end up Norwood 7 without finasteride. That said, the hair transplant Doctor and his patient liaison think because I'm 52, there is a chance that my hair loss won't progress since I've maintained it so far, even without finasteride. I highly doubt my hair will maintain without finasteride...

Importantly, I had sexual dysfunction with finasteride, and it got progressively worse. I also had brain fog. I didn't realize how bad the brain fog was until i stopped finasteride. I'm so much sharper and can remember and recall things very quickly.

curiousone

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I cant believe you have taken them so long either. More so the minoxidil. I been using minoxidil for almost two years. I feel like it has probably done nothing. But also realised that my hair actually really isn't that bad and Im not loosing it so maybe I should just get over it and I will stay like a NW2 for life anyway. I often go through periods of not bothering to use minoxidil now, its more of a hassle than finasteride.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score

Congrats on the maintenance. I was lucky not to start losing until 40 but the speed and surprise of it has me losing my mind. Feel for the young guys.

Were you ever diffusing? Do you member a big or long shed when starting Propecia? Same boat NW6 but diffuse pattern. Hoping I can recover from the last few months. Fear I waited too long to start meds. Ever consider oral minoxidil?

for the itch have you considered a topical steroid like Clobetesol?

FrankieNYC

Reaction score
Congrats on the maintenance. I was lucky not to start losing until 40 but the speed and surprise of it has me losing my mind. Feel for the young guys.

Were you ever diffusing? Do you member a big or long shed when starting Propecia? Same boat NW6 but diffuse pattern. Hoping I can recover from the last few months. Fear I waited too long to start meds. Ever consider oral minoxidil?

for the itch have you considered a topical steroid like Clobetesol?

Sorry for the super-late reply. lol I'm here on lockdown with not much to do so I decided to recheck if there had been any developments re a cure, To answer your questions, I was not a diffuse thinner. I'm not too sure about a shedding period--it's been too long, to be honest. I do notice brief periods of shed every 3-4 years though. Don't know if it's the hair loss advancing or just me being paranoid.
So far, I have not done oral minoxidil or topical steroid for the itch

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Sorry for the super-late reply. lol I'm here on lockdown with not much to do so I decided to recheck if there had been any developments re a cure, To answer your questions, I was not a diffuse thinner. I'm not too sure about a shedding period--it's been too long, to be honest. I do notice brief periods of shed every 3-4 years though. Don't know if it's the hair loss advancing or just me being paranoid.
So far, I have not done oral minoxidil or topical steroid for the itch
Do you feel you are slowing losing ground each year? You have been on finasteride longer than me but you still have slowed down your hair loss over all these years. You have always had good density which is big plus as you get older.

FrankieNYC

Reaction score
Do you feel you are slowing losing ground each year? You have been on finasteride longer than me but you still have slowed down your hair loss over all these years. You have always had good density which is big plus as you get older.
Not each year, but every 3-4 years I experience sheds. I had a major one in 2013-2014 so I upped my Finasteride dosage to 1/3 a 5 mg pill daily back then.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Not each year, but every 3-4 years I experience sheds. I had a major one in 2013-2014 so I upped my Finasteride dosage to 1/3 a 5 mg pill daily back then.
According to the studies, it shows finasteride is not dose dependent like minoxidil. Do you feel you improved when you increased your finasteride dosage? You still using minoxidil twice per day? I think minoxidil twice per day is the way to go if you can.

FrankieNYC

Reaction score
According to the studies, it shows finasteride is not dose dependent like minoxidil. Do you feel you improved when you increased your finasteride dosage? You still using minoxidil twice per day? I think minoxidil twice per day is the way to go if you can.

It's tough to say if the increase in finasteride improved my hair, but my doctor recommended it under the theory that it may be losing it's efficacy since I've been on it for so long. The minoxidil I am still using 2x a day maybe 5-6 days a week (and just once a day on the days I can't do it 2x). I do use minoxidil on my hairline and back, plus crown so a 1 month supply only last about 12-14 days for me.