41 Y.o. , Started Propecia And Neogenic , Should I Continue ?

Saleem

My Regimen
Reaction score
Best of luck for you. .buT is there really a age barrier for these medicines to work?

Dan77

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I'm a 41 yo, happily married for 15 yrs, 2 kids, lovely and understanding wife, and of course I have a problem, andro-genetic baldness (my father went fully bald by 29 , my brother who is 6 yrs younger than me is already NW6).
I've always had thin hair and it was a problem in highschool and college and later but since I got married other priorities came and I kind of ignored it and accepted it...thinking that there's no cure for it and it would be a waste of money to try something.

Hello everyone

I thought would be good to give an update on my progress since it's almost 1 yr since I started with Propecia+Minoxidil+Nizoral (plus some other supplements like saw palmetto, zinc+Mg and in the past 3-4 months dermarolling once/week).

In the opening post you can see photos from June 2018 and I post below pics from Dec 18 and Jun19 (so 6 mths and 1 yr after). Some are with wet hair, others dry but the length of the hair is fairly similar in order to have some comprability.
Before you start commenting here's my opinions:
- propecia effect I could see in 3-4 months: fewer hairs fell (ok, I didn't have much hair to start with but still) , hair quality improved (less greasy / oily, I could run my hand through it w/o hairs falling off and w/o making it greasy, hair appearance generally improved)
- minoxidil effect: not so much, I didn't see much regrowth, only that fuzzy short hairs but staying in that stage only.
- nizoral definitely helped

sides, you know them already: decreased libido (but then again I'm 42 so maybe is age effect as well), I had some issues at the beginning with minoxidil (blood shot eyes, tiredness, couldn't get asleep at night, waking up tired ,etc) but frankly speaking they got away in the past 4-5 months...probably my body got used to it .

so all in all, mixed results but I think on the positive side overall...I will go on with the treatment even if it's clear that I started very late (should have done it in my 30's) and probably there's not much to save. But with a certain age you are happy with whatever hair you can save :)

waiting for your comments, suggestions...

Attachments

• Dec2018_1.JPG
    Dec2018_1.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 195
  • Dec2018_2.JPG
    Dec2018_2.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 193
  • Dec2018_3.JPG
    Dec2018_3.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Dec2018_4.JPG
    Dec2018_4.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 194
  • Jun19_wet.JPG
    Jun19_wet.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 201
  • Jun19_wet_2.JPG
    Jun19_wet_2.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 196
  • Jun19_wet_3.JPG
    Jun19_wet_3.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 204
  • Jun19_dry_1.JPG
    Jun19_dry_1.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 200
  • Jun19_dry_2.JPG
    Jun19_dry_2.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 215
  • Jun19_dry_3.JPG
    Jun19_dry_3.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 212
  • Jun19_dry_4.JPG
    Jun19_dry_4.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 208

Dan77

My Regimen
Reaction score
and a few more pics comparing the back side: first one is from Jun 2018 (with slightly longer hair) and the other 3 are from yesterday...maybe it looks better due to shampooing but it looks better (in my opinion)

Attachments

• back_Jun_2018.JPG
    back_Jun_2018.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 198
  • back_Jun_2019.JPG
    back_Jun_2019.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 190
  • back_Jun_2019_2.JPG
    back_Jun_2019_2.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 163
  • back_Jun_2019_3.JPG
    back_Jun_2019_3.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 167
  • back_Jun_2019_4.JPG
    back_Jun_2019_4.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 177

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Personally, I do believe you are progressing well.

Vinc2097

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
and a few more pics comparing the back side: first one is from Jun 2018 (with slightly longer hair) and the other 3 are from yesterday...maybe it looks better due to shampooing but it looks better (in my opinion)

hey dan ! in your first post you talked about thin hair already in college ? how long have you been losing your hair since your 41 now ?

+ you could really look into a transplant in the future !

Dan77

My Regimen
Reaction score
hey dan ! in your first post you talked about thin hair already in college ? how long have you been losing your hair since your 41 now ?

+ you could really look into a transplant in the future !

Hi Vinc
well, my father was already full bald by 30 y.o. (have a picture with me when I was 6 months old and he was N7 then !) so I was very self-conscious about my incoming baldness since high-school. I remember colleagues in high-school and college telling me I'm going bald and if I'm going to do anything about it. I accepted it as I didn't know there was a cure for it and didn't do anything except for keeping my hair short.

So short answer is that I'm balding since I was a teenager (25 years ago); to tell you frankly when I was in high-school I thought I was going to be N6-7 by 25, but I guess my alopecia wasn't that aggressive.
My brother who is much younger than me is already N6 ...but he kept long hair during all high-school & college and didn't take proper care so I guess this didn't help.

Initially I was thinking about transplant, this is how I discovered this website, I was looking for doctors :)
But then I read that you have to go full bald before any surgery otherwise your old hair will fall and new hair will look patchy and well, you know the rest.
So I'm trying to maintain it like this for as long as possible with this regimen and if I can keep it up until 55 let;s say then after that I won't probably care too much ;)
But I guess 15 yrs more of maintaining is probably too ambitious...we'll see when Propecia effects starts to wear off

Vinc2097

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Vinc
well, my father was already full bald by 30 y.o. (have a picture with me when I was 6 months old and he was N7 then !) so I was very self-conscious about my incoming baldness since high-school. I remember colleagues in high-school and college telling me I'm going bald and if I'm going to do anything about it. I accepted it as I didn't know there was a cure for it and didn't do anything except for keeping my hair short.

So short answer is that I'm balding since I was a teenager (25 years ago); to tell you frankly when I was in high-school I thought I was going to be N6-7 by 25, but I guess my alopecia wasn't that aggressive.
My brother who is much younger than me is already N6 ...but he kept long hair during all high-school & college and didn't take proper care so I guess this didn't help.

Initially I was thinking about transplant, this is how I discovered this website, I was looking for doctors :)
But then I read that you have to go full bald before any surgery otherwise your old hair will fall and new hair will look patchy and well, you know the rest.
So I'm trying to maintain it like this for as long as possible with this regimen and if I can keep it up until 55 let;s say then after that I won't probably care too much ;)
But I guess 15 yrs more of maintaining is probably too ambitious...we'll see when Propecia effects starts to wear off

honestly you are right about thansplant... but i've seen case like yours with pretty good results IF you have agood donor area with healthy hair (send photos of you donor or go see a clinic they will tell you). Of course some of your existing hair can fall due to shock loss, but most of the time most of them will grow back later !

reuters

Established Member
Reaction score
Dan, it looks fantastic. i think its a massive improvement.
p.s don't stop with any of your medications, you don't know what has worked or not ;)

Dan77

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dan, it looks fantastic. i think its a massive improvement.
p.s don't stop with any of your medications, you don't know what has worked or not ;)

Thanks man! I wouldn't say fantastic but definitely decent ;) considering the age and lateness with which I started, yes, I would say decent.
I followed your advice and added Tugain 10% along with Rogaine foam and I'm sticking to the program. Like you said, you can't be sure which one is the most effective so is better to stick to what it works.
I have to admit that when I started 1 yr ago, reading some success stories around here, I was "seeing" myself with a 20 years old hair, thick and strong, in no more than 6 months.
But the progress was and still is slow...but after a certain age you become more patient and learn to play the long game and be satisfied with whatever small improvement you see :)

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn! Great results given that you were basically NW6

Dan77

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I thought to post some updates on my progress since I started finasteride and minoxidil 2 yrs ago (in Jun 2018)
I post a picture someone took for me in July 2017, where I think I was looking NW5-6 (?) ...it was probably the moment I realized I had to do something. But it still took me almost a year to start in Jun 2018 (in this topic I posted some pics from that time)

Now, 2 yrs later I think I made some more progress (check last 2 pics): nothing sensational but considering my age (43) and the fact that I started very-very late , and my genetics (father, brother, grandparents all bald by 35) I would say it's pretty decent.

Attachments

• July 2017 pic 1.jpg
    July 2017 pic 1.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Apr 2020_2.jpg
    Apr 2020_2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 100
  • Apr 2020_4.jpg
    Apr 2020_4.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 109