4 years on finasteride and Rogaine [NEWEST pics page 14, May 12 '12]

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair is still looking fantastic, the wet mud/sun combo doesn't do it any justice, as shown in the photo were you're packing heat!!

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Did you have any success on Duta or S5??

I got the horrible frontal shed that some people get with dutasteride. Like...I could LITERALLY see my hairline thinning out every day after taking a shower. Now, first hand reports are that the hair comes back if you stay on dutasteride (just a shed), but mentally I couldn't handle it anymore, so I went back to 1.25mg finasteride. I figure that I can always step it up to dutasteride if I need to later.

As for S5, I really didn't notice anything, but I was only using it on my temples, and I only used one container, so that might not be a large enough sample size.

secrethero89

Reaction score
I got the horrible frontal shed that some people get with dutasteride. Like...I could LITERALLY see my hairline thinning out every day after taking a shower. Now, first hand reports are that the hair comes back if you stay on dutasteride (just a shed), but mentally I couldn't handle it anymore, so I went back to 1.25mg finasteride. I figure that I can always step it up to dutasteride if I need to later.

As for S5, I really didn't notice anything, but I was only using it on my temples, and I only used one container, so that might not be a large enough sample size.

Do you consider RU58841? i am going to add this to my regimen in this week.

fighter

Reaction score
What conditioner and shampoo are you using? In another words, what are you doing that your hair looks so thick?

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Here's my hair washing routine

1: T-Gel (generic walmart version) to do the initial clean so that my hair will be cleaner and have a better lather
2: Nizoral, which I leave on my head while I scrub down the rest of my body
3: Nioxin Cleanser
4: Nioxin Scalp Therapy, which I leave on while I rinse off my body.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Yes, I do.

Are they less frequent than before I started finasteride? I don't know, but probably do. I'm 6 years older, and I'm 9 months away from being 30 years old. They'll decrease as you age anyway. Also, it's not like I (or anyone else, really) kept some running tally of how often they got morning wood BEFORE they started finasteride, so they can't REALLY tell you how much (if at all) it's decreased after being on finasteride. All you have is an idea, and that idea is going to be based off of what you FEEL anyway. IE: Not reality.

thiswomps

Reaction score
i would agree, i never kept a running tally, but usually had one everyday that i could remember. i know because i used to wank it while half the work was done anyways. less frequent now, but glad to hear its going good for some ppl.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Photoshoot with flash to my right (so, basically behind me in this shot. You can see that it's pretty thin and see-through up front, and a little flat on the crown, but holding up decently otherwise.
1kenc7N.jpg

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Perhaps not...but I bet you can see :). Us balding brethren know the key areas to look at, and spot them quickly.

thiswomps

Reaction score
Actually, your hair has that full head of hair look to it. Even fellow brethrens would probably overlook it. Regardless, good job on the upkeep! gl in the future.

user1991

Reaction score
Hey dude i'm relatively new here and been lurking for a while, but especially your story because I myself am an actor in Chicago and am 22. You have much thicker hair then me but more or less same hairline and hairloss. My crown is thinning but my hairline itself is thinning. I was just wondering was it hard to apply rogaine every day or did you miss a day once in a while? With my schedule I hardly think I will have time to apply it every day at night. I'm going to a derm on thursday to verify my hairloss, because i've always had thin hair but a lot and am just not sure whats going on ha. But i definetly want to hop on finasteride since it seems easy to take a pill everyday. Also not even worried about side effects. I'm spacey as it is and really really doubt anything will happen to my body down south of the waist. Ya so any advice or information would be great!! Thanks a bunch for your inspiring story and help bro!! Take care!!

Rawtashk

Reaction score
GET OUTTA HERE WITH YOUR EXCUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You ALWAYS have time to apply it 2x a day. It takes a grand total of 30 seconds to apply Rogaine foam :).

As for your question, I'm really bad at doing it 2x a day, but I would say that I average about 70% 2x a day, and 98% at least 1x a day. Sometimes I forget. Just do it last thing before you go to bed, and first thing when you get out of the shower in the morning.

Don't wait to get on finasteride. The sooner you start, the less hair you'll continue to lose :)

user1991

Reaction score
haha okay okay. also i could probably just google this and have an answer but you seem to have so much success i want to ask you. when applying rogaine foam did you apply it just to hairline and crown or everywhere on head? also when you used it in the morning how long did u let it stay in your hair before washing(if u even do wash it, sorry i have no idea how to apply rogaine or anything ha). Also final thing, regarding finasteride, do you recommend starting with a small dose like .5 and then progressing to 1 or 1.25 a day or something else? again thanks for all your help, at this point your words mean more than anyone else since i think i'm in same boat as you used to be.:)

Rawtashk

Reaction score
You're suppose to apply it to the areas where you're losing hair. So, for me, I do hairline and crown. You need to let it sit for at least 4 hours for complete absorption, which is why I do it after a shower and then again before bed.

I started off at .5mg of finasteride a day, and after 3 years bumped it to 1.25mg. The problem with you doing that is that it's harder to get legit generic finasteride now that places like 4rx.com require a perscription. I suppose you could quarter the 5mg pills, then pinch off about half of those quarters and start at that lower dose. You'd still be saving a crapload of money doing it that way if you go the generic 5mg pill route.

Rider

Reaction score
You're suppose to apply it to the areas where you're losing hair. So, for me, I do hairline and crown. You need to let it sit for at least 4 hours for complete absorption, which is why I do it after a shower and then again before bed.

I started off at .5mg of finasteride a day, and after 3 years bumped it to 1.25mg. The problem with you doing that is that it's harder to get legit generic finasteride now that places like 4rx.com require a perscription. I suppose you could quarter the 5mg pills, then pinch off about half of those quarters and start at that lower dose. You'd still be saving a crapload of money doing it that way if you go the generic 5mg pill route.
Do you still think .5mg is best as starter than the 1.25mg?

Rawtashk

Reaction score
It worked for me. I'm not a doctor, so I can't give you any sort of medical trials and studies on it....but the response on finasteride is pretty flat for the dose. I know that .5mg worked well for me to start with, and it helped ease my mind about potential side effects.