4 years on finasteride and Rogaine [NEWEST pics page 14, May 12 '12]

SuprisedGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking good! I don't see your weak side at all. It seems we both responded to finasteride/rogaine similarly although I have a bit more hair loss. I'm still surprised some days that I'm not an NW6. Then again I was also surprised that I ever started balding to begin with haha.

DoneWithIt

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should post a picture with your hairline pulled back? Cause I can't see any balding anywhere AT ALL, and I'm a pretty good Norwood spotter.

Ventures

Established Member
Reaction score
You said first you started with 0.5 mg finasteride, and it gave you pretty good results for three years or so. Then you increase the dosage to 1.25 mg (to gain additional regrowth ). But do you think 0.5 mg finasteride would serve a year, two or even more in terms of halting your hair loss, because you mentioned you started to notice thining on hairline ?

I think it's very good idea to start with lover dossages (0.25 mg, 0.5 mg depending on intensity of one’s hair loss), and then if required upper it to 1 mg or 1.25mg because our body, and hair follicles over time become immune and start to acclimate, and when started firstly with 1 or 1.25 mg dose there is less chance to upper to higher doses ( 2 mg or so ) and avoid side effects.

Another question, do you take finasteride consistently, every day, or you make gaps and breaks a while (few days off finasteride.) ?You said first you started with 0.5 mg finasteride, and it gave you pritty good results for three years or so. Then you increase the dosage to 1.25 mg (to gain additional regrowth ). But do you think 0.5 mg finasteride would serve a year, two or even more in terms of halting your hair loss, because you mentioned you started to notice thining on hairline ?

I

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
You said first you started with 0.5 mg finasteride, and it gave you pretty good results for three years or so. Then you increase the dosage to 1.25 mg (to gain additional regrowth ). But do you think 0.5 mg finasteride would serve a year, two or even more in terms of halting your hair loss, because you mentioned you started to notice thining on hairline ?

I think it's very good idea to start with lover dossages (0.25 mg, 0.5 mg depending on intensity of one’s hair loss), and then if required upper it to 1 mg or 1.25mg because our body, and hair follicles over time become immune and start to acclimate, and when started firstly with 1 or 1.25 mg dose there is less chance to upper to higher doses ( 2 mg or so ) and avoid side effects.

Another question, do you take finasteride consistently, every day, or you make gaps and breaks a while (few days off finasteride.) ?You said first you started with 0.5 mg finasteride, and it gave you pritty good results for three years or so. Then you increase the dosage to 1.25 mg (to gain additional regrowth ). But do you think 0.5 mg finasteride would serve a year, two or even more in terms of halting your hair loss, because you mentioned you started to notice thining on hairline ?

I

Sorry, but that's incorrect. Finasteride can do one thing and one thing only and that's inhibiting 5-alfa-reductase. The fact that some people get at a point where male pattern baldness gets the better of them doesn't mean that finasteride stopped working or isn't working that good anymore. It's just the male pattern baldness that's becoming more aggressive or there's more 5-alfa-reductase in the body. Using a low dosage of finasteride might be a good idea to avoid sides, but it won't help you to fight a tolerance to finasteride or anything like that. You can't build a tolerance to 5-alfa-reductase inhibitors.

taniem2

Reaction score
nice hair!!!! so volumized and healthy and gorgeous!!!! and you are cute! haha...with a face and a piercing green eyes like yours, who needs a hair!!! :)

Ventures

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but that's incorrect. Finasteride can do one thing and one thing only and that's inhibiting 5-alfa-reductase. The fact that some people get at a point where male pattern baldness gets the better of them doesn't mean that finasteride stopped working or isn't working that good anymore. It's just the male pattern baldness that's becoming more aggressive or there's more 5-alfa-reductase in the body. Using a low dosage of finasteride might be a good idea to avoid sides, but it won't help you to fight a tolerance to finasteride or anything like that. You can't build a tolerance to 5-alfa-reductase inhibitors.

So you think, 5ard inhibitors don't increase an androgen receptor sensitivity (upreglation of AR) , etc. hair follicles become more sensitive and get used to lower levels of DHT circulated in blood flow. That would explain why some people experienced accelerated hair loss immediately after discontinuation of finasteride or dutasteride even before ceasing their hair loss was halted or was stabilized. Apparently, reason is as DHT level quickly goes up two or three days after last pill, follicles which have been years in low DHT state, are then attacked literally by increased level of DHT. Another possible clue which was reported by some long term finasteride users, is there was lack of efficacy of these drugs after 5,10 or more years. Of course, as you mentioned it’s possible their hair loss become more agressive due to naturally increase in 5-alfa-reductase in their body. On the other hand, no metter in what age you start and how initially your male pattern baldness agressive is, doses such as: 1 mg, 1.25 mg, in most cases significantly slow or even halt hair loss. And as time goes up many users, especially those with aggressive AA must upper the dose after particular time (some after just a year, or even less, some after 4,5 years or more) to remain results . That would mean there is correlation between efficacy of the dose and duration of usage of that dose. What I mean is, I do not believe our body rapidly start to produce more 5ard enzymes after relatively short time periods such as a year, two, three or even five . Or maybe I am wrong. I realize that if someone is using finasteride for let's say 10 years, then his body produce more 5ard in his 35 then in age when he was 25 years old when started with finasteride. In that sense 10 years time frame means a lot in endocrinology aspect, but I believe periods of time less then 5-10 years, typically can not result in such great differences of produced levels of 5ard.

I am aware it has been discussed a lot about this issue on this as well as other hair loss forums, but I want to learn more about this aspect. As new finasteride user I am actually worried, am I with this drugs inducing more sensitivity of hair to my maile hormons ?

K

karankaran

i cannot say this without sounding gay , but what the heck i will say it : with a face like that, who needs hair! lol...but great progress ...:)

taniem2

Reaction score
karankaran...hey be original hahaha that's my line....hahahaha...again, with a face l

karankaran...hey be original hahaha that's my line....hahahaha...again, with a face like that, a hair is just an option...u can go bald and still be the most good-looking guy compared to a handsome guy with a full hair on his head...oh my I am a fan! haha :)

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
karankaran...hey be original hahaha that's my line....hahahaha...again, with a face like that, a hair is just an option...u can go bald and still be the most good-looking guy compared to a handsome guy with a full hair on his head...oh my I am a fan! haha :)

8O

Hairyless

Reaction score
The problem with you doing that is that it's harder to get legit generic finasteride now that places like 4rx.com require a perscription.

May I ask where you get your finasteride from now? I was actually going to place my order with finasteride today but after reading this I thought I'd hold off. Any other recommendations?

Rawtashk

Reaction score
i cannot say this without sounding gay , but what the heck i will say it : with a face like that, who needs hair! lol...but great progress ...:)

Haha. Sadly, I need to hair to maintain the looks :-/

- - - Updated - - -

May I ask where you get your finasteride from now? I was actually going to place my order with finasteride today but after reading this I thought I'd hold off. Any other recommendations?

I get mine from my doctor. It's the cheapest and safest way to go. Just have him write you an Rx for generic Proscar. Then you quarter the pills with a pill cutter and take 1/4th a pill every day. Costs me $9 for 30 pills, which is a 120 day supply.

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
you are nick right?? anyway thanks for the log :)

- - - Updated - - -

oh and how did you do on .5 mg ED? regrowth on temples?

marco996

Reaction score
Hi
How is your hair right now?
Does propecia still work ?
I want to know if we can take it forever.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Haven't been on here in forever, but I figured I should drop a short update.

May of this year marks approx 8 years that I've been on Finastaride. Still one of the top 10 choices I've ever made in my life. Hair is still there, and I still look younger than I am.

Hope you guys are all doing well!

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score

May of this year marks approx 8 years that I've been on Finastaride. Still one of the top 10 choices I've ever made in my life. Hair is still there, and I still look younger than I am.

Alright, thanks Rawtashk! :) It's wonderful that your hair is doing better than ever. I'll be looking forward to your eight year update on Finasteride.

Bad

Established Member
Reaction score

What happened when you quit minoxidil?

nagasaki

Reaction score

If you don't mind, can I ask how much of finasteride you are taking?