4 Months on finasteride & minoxidil, good progress

BeardedOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi dam, I apply directly to the hairline and then I push it inwards a little. I target mostly the front section and the vertex although I have 15% miniaturisation from zones 2-4. I am hoping the finasteride takes care of that.

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, long-time lurker, first time poster.

Thought I'd share my current progress as I've definitely benefitted a lot from your stories and I thought I should give back. I posted this in another forum so I'll just put it all in here, too. Pics below, the first batch pre-meds in August 2013. I began Finasteride 1.25mg per day (since dropped to about .875mg per day) on 21 November 2013, I use minoxidil foam during the day and the liquid at night, and I use a ket 2% shampoo a few times a week. I'm pleased with the results so far, I'm 32 so I expect my results to be a little slower growing in.

Anyway, the BEFORE photos (August 2013):

View attachment 24528View attachment 24529View attachment 24530View attachment 24531

These photos taken today (March 19 2014) with my iPhone (with the exception of the crown shot, taken a few days ago on a better camera):
View attachment 24532View attachment 24533View attachment 24534View attachment 24535

As I said I'm happy with the results so far, hair quality is overall much thicker and better and if it fills out any more I will have gone from a NW3v to about a Norwood 1.5. I'll keep updating here as the months roll in, hoping for a good grow over the next few months - my traditional time of year to grow out a good mane!

Wow. I'm getting dangerously close to where you were when you started your regimen last year. The hairline and whispiness of your hair back then, it's almost like looking at a picture of myself.

I need to just bite the bullet already and do what you're doing. I've avoided it long enough .... tired of the looking in the mirror every day hoping it'll stop.

Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Great results mate!

What ketoconazole Shampoo do you use?

thanks[/FONT]

BeardedOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Chemicalbrother, I've just been using ebay and I've found a good price, check up that the supplier is legit and then go for it. I've had no problems so far. I have heard of people getting dodgy batches but I suppose if you do your due diligence and if the price isn't ridiculously cheap then you're good to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Charlito1989 - no I didn't go to HRBR, too pricey for me.

PhillyCarter - thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Schitz Popinov - there's no easy way to make the finasteride decision. I weighed up finasteride for a long time, probably two or three years, and in the end I am willing to take the risk of finasteride for the potential benefits. For me being psychologically ready is crucial because you will experience some sides, some feelings. Mine have been minor, barely perceptible, but if I was not psychologically prepared I might have freaked out and blown them out of proportion.

I've noticed a reduction in whispy hairs on finasteride. I remember well the fly-away, unstylable nature of the top of my head! I'm obviously not at a full result yet but slowly but surely I've noticed more darker, sturdier hairs growing around my crown.

Here's a Before/After comparison shot, the first taken August 2013, the second taken yesterday, 27 March 2014 (4 months on finasteride):
Crown August 2013.jpgCrown March 2014 iphone.jpg

The first photo is with an SLR camera and the second with my iPhone so there is an obvious discrepancy, but I think you can see there are far less whispy hairs than before (even if it's hard to tell if there are more hairs there). I also think it's filled out a little bit too, what do you reckon? Every time I check it, it seems to me to be a little thicker...

- - - Updated - - -

The Green Gorilla - I use a brand called ketozol. I used Nizoral before which I think is better, but I ketozol 2% was the only brand I could find last time.

Reaction score
Hey BeardedOne congrats on the outcome of your regimen. These are really impressive results! What kind if finasteride are you using and where do you get it from?

BeardedOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Iwanttoregrowhair, thank you! I was using a finasteride called Profal 5mg which I picked up on a one-time only prescription here in Ireland. But I've now run the gauntlet of online pharmacies and was delivered some 'Proscare', which I just started a few days ago. I don't know whether it's legit or not. Seriously. I think it is as I haven't noticed a resumption of the male pattern baldness itch or anything. But I wish I could just get a normal prescription - you can't get a prescription for finasteride from your GP in Ireland.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's a really good result, congrats man! You aren't NW1.5, still in NW2 territory, but Norwood is a solid aesthetically good adult male hairline. Your hair looks good, and long may it last!

Are you getting finasteride from your GP? I go to HRBR and they're great there, particularly their photographic record first consultation is pricey but subsequent consultations are only about €80. Still €80 is money I'd rather have in my pocket!

BeardedOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi GoldenMane, cheers! Your thread is a pretty big inspiration on the boards here already. I'm around NW2 at moment, I was around NW2.5 when I started so I'm already happy enough if the hairline stays the same and hopefully thickens out a bit. I feel it already looks a lot better, I'm 32 so I'm probably about average, plus I reckon I won't know the full result from finasteride until Christmas at least.

I had a prescription from Dr. ******** in Belgium (went there for a consultation) but that has now run out. So I ordered some online from a source I thought to be reputable, but now that I've received the finasteride I'm not sure. It's called 'Proscare' and I wrote another thread on it in the antiandrogens section, really hope someone can tell me if it's legit! I'm going to see my GP this week and see if I can get a script from him, if so then I'll be laughing. I'm just trying to avoid going to HRBR!

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
HRBR is a good place, just the first consultation is a bit pricey, after that it's just €80 and the finasteride will cost you about €50 for a years supply, not bad really, a low cost for keeping your hair, I asked my GP but he didn't know anything about finasteride for hairloss and didn't want to prescribe it.

BeardedOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I suppose you're right. It's just.... 200euro to get a prescription! I could get photos done too, I suppose, but they wouldn't be baseline. I'll let you know if I opt for it - I'm going to see my GP first and implore him to give me a prescription.

- - - Updated - - -

Just took a new snap of the front to compare with baseline, I'm happy enough with it!

First pic before finasteride (August 2013), second pic after 4 and a half months on finasteride (3 April 2014):

Front August 2013 dry.jpgFront April 2014.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

well, fairly chuffed actually.

chemicalbrother

Established Member
Reaction score
happy enough ? you should be thrilled. altho that new growth is all minoxidil (imho) finasteride is 'just' keeping all of it (together)

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Congratulations! You couldn't achieve a more visibly ideal outcome. All the best.

BeardedOne

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah I was being facetious, definitely chuffed!

Chemicalbrother, I was on minoxidil for a solid year before finasteride (9 months up until the baseline picture was taken), so I think the result is really from the combination of finasteride and minoxidil. minoxidil keeps the hairs growing but finasteride makes it a good place to grow! I know you can't really see it in the first picture but there were still hairs there, they were just very thin.

mosd

Established Member
Reaction score
How long before you saw regrowth and more thickness of hair already there?

delmontesfever

Reaction score
Im 26 years old and I have lost a lot of hair. I have read all the treatments here but I would like to know which regimen should I follow. Can someone help me please? Im a musician. My name is Rob

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
Im 26 years old and I have lost a lot of hair. I have read all the treatments here but I would like to know which regimen should I follow. Can someone help me please? Im a musician. My name is Rob

Finasteride 1.25mg per day, use minoxidil foam during the day and the liquid at night.