31yo - 82m (minoxidil) & Proscar (finasteride) 3 Month Progress

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've wanted to ask this for a while, and since the OP applies minoxidil selectively to only his temple areas, I figured he might know:

They say minoxidil comes with some side effects (older looking skin and most notably the initial shed of hair). When you apply it to only certain areas, do you still get a shed all over your scalp, or would it just be limited to the areas where you applied it? I'm wondering if monix only has a local affect or if it penetrates and diffuses around the scalp even if you apply it only to certain areas. Because as far as I know, the shed is from old hairs being pushed out in favor of new hairs, but does that only occur in the region where it's applied?

The_Journeyman

My Regimen
Reaction score
The only parts of my scalp that were NOT shedding hairs were the spots that I DID apply minoxidil. I've been gently pulling scalp hairs and noticed no hairs come out of the areas minoxidil has been applied at. I wish more doctors would agree on whether shedding is a real thing or not. I have doubt that shedding is caused by finasteride/minoxidil as all evidence is only anecdotal. People always seem to grow their hair out longer and are paying more attention to their hair once they start using these medications, so maybe they're noticing things about their hair that has always been going on and they just haven't paid as much attention. No real study has been done to see if shedding is real, Merck doesn't list any sheds as a side effect either.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
so you didnt notice to much shedding at the beginning . And you only apply minoxidil to crown and temple ?
no sides such as unwantede body hair and dark cirlce or wrinkles ?
great result by the way!

The_Journeyman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil only goes on crown and temples, it would take too much time for me to apply all over the scalp. I think I've always been shedding/losing small hairs and just didn't pay attention to it beforehand. My hair was real short before I started treatment so I couldn't tell if medicine causes a shedding. Now my hair is probably 1.5-2" long. My temples look like they have a lot of hair on right pic but that is just because my hair is combed down. I want to buzz my hair to how it looks on the left pic to get an accurate depiction if finasteride is working or not, but it's hard for me to buzz hair now that I'm trying to grow it out in excitement.

0923038.jpg