3 Months On Topical Dutasteride - Results

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What’s a good formula to use for making the solution. PG, ethyl, water what percents are best?

Canuto

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s before I started losing hair hair you f*****g b**ch.
Can you post your latest blood work again? I recall seeing it in the past and you had hypothyroidism and you were anaemic. No surprise 5-ar inhibitors and anti-androgens are not doing anything to you. You probably don't even have Androgenetic Alopecia.

Illusion

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for the thread hijack, but I made a thread about this earlier and nobody responded.

Would it be of any use to combine oral dutasteride with topical dutasteride? I'm feeling that oral dutasteride is not working optimal anymore like it used to and need to add something. I looked into topical AA's but they all either seem to have a lot of side effects because after all, a part does go systemic, or they seem to work very weakly (RU, topical spironolactone)

Canuto

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for the thread hijack, but I made a thread about this earlier and nobody responded.

Would it be of any use to combine oral dutasteride with topical dutasteride? I'm feeling that oral dutasteride is not working optimal anymore like it used to and need to add something. I looked into topical AA's but they all either seem to have a lot of side effects because after all, a part does go systemic, or they seem to work very weakly (RU, topical spironolactone)

I've explained it several times why it's pointless to use both and why topical is superior.
With topical duta, I would personally use a topical AA, but you can start with it in monotherapy amd see how it goes.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've explained it several times why it's pointless to use both and why topical is superior.
With topical duta, I would personally use a topical AA, but you can start with it in monotherapy amd see how it goes.
It could just be a way to reduce scalp dht even more tbh

Illusion

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't read the whole thread, I'm assuming you meant the post below?

Every topical 5-ar inhibitor will be more effective at suppressing DHT in the target tissue. It has been proven over and over again with all the drugs. I recently saw 2 studies done with topical tamoxifen and topical CPA (for other purposes than treating Androgenetic Alopecia) and the outcome was the same. If you add the fact that DHT is a paracrine hormone, ingesting oral 5-ar inhibitors to inhibit DHT formation in the scalp is plain dumb.

Yes. You will need to send an email in English and they will reply to you, but they are usually a bit slow.

I did know about DHT being a paracrine hormone, it's just that I always thought that delivery to the HF was pretty hard with dutasteride. With oral dutasteride, you at least know (granted, based on one study) that ~50% of DHT in the scalp is being inhibited.

Re: topical AA, I want to but I'm still on the fence if I want to do that and what AA it would be. Even though oral dutasteride is by no means candy, I feel like in the short term it's not really giving me any sides but I know that AA's can be a bit tricky, even topical. Am now looking at bica or OH-flutamide, I know people on here are much more a fan of daro or CBA (I think you yourself use topical CBA?) but at the moment I simply can't afford those compounds. Also, I'm kind of scared about upregulation of AR but I know that's a bit of a silly argument because I would continue balding faster without using a topical AA than with using a topical AA and getting AR upregulation.

Last edited:

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Blood test came back, been off for 2 months

DHT is up from 185 ng/ml to 250 ng/ml, so a 25% change.

I will do a final test at 3 months to see if it goes up any higher but it's always been around 250 without the use of any AA.

Oral Dutasteride suppressed it to below 30 ng/ml . With Finasteride it was about 100 ng/ml

Why anybody would choose to take oral Dutasteride instead of topically is something I will never understand.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score

I will do a final test at 3 months to see if it goes up any higher but it's always been around 250 without the use of any AA.

Oral Dutasteride suppressed it to below 30 ng/ml . With Finasteride it was about 100 ng/ml

Why anybody would choose to take oral Dutasteride instead of topically is something I will never understand.
What was your dose and frequency?

polishkickbuttowski

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Why are you stopping topical dutasteride?

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Was the 185 ng/mL measured at the end of your topical dutasteride experiment or at the beginning (1 week in for instance)?

I am asking this question as it seems there is an accumulation effect on systemic DHT (as measured in fightinghairloss's experiment in the Discord channel).

Canuto

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't read the whole thread, I'm assuming you meant the post below?

I did know about DHT being a paracrine hormone, it's just that I always thought that delivery to the HF was pretty hard with dutasteride. With oral dutasteride, you at least know (granted, based on one study) that ~50% of DHT in the scalp is being inhibited.

Re: topical AA, I want to but I'm still on the fence if I want to do that and what AA it would be. Even though oral dutasteride is by no means candy, I feel like in the short term it's not really giving me any sides but I know that AA's can be a bit tricky, even topical. Am now looking at bica or OH-flutamide, I know people on here are much more a fan of daro or CBA (I think you yourself use topical CBA?) but at the moment I simply can't afford those compounds. Also, I'm kind of scared about upregulation of AR but I know that's a bit of a silly argument because I would continue balding faster without using a topical AA than with using a topical AA and getting AR upregulation.

Delivery it's not hard at all. The 500 Dalton rule has always been misinterpreted.
We have data showing that it lowers s app DHT even when dissolved in Trichosol, with no penetration enhancer. So if you get liposomes you will have a really good amount of local DHT inhibition, with reduced systemic absorption.
All the data in studies that actually measured scalp DHT has shown a superiority of scalp inhibition when compared to oral, so I don't really know what's the deal with taking 5-ar inhibitors orally.
On top of that, dutasteride has a huge impact on sperm motility and quality, it's liver toxic, it can cause metabolic syndrome and it basically wipes out allopregnanolone in the brain.

What I always say is don't consider sexual sides like the only problem and the marker to take in account for treatment tolerability, rather check all your health markers for long term health. Few people on this forum do.

Canuto

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It could just be a way to reduce scalp dht even more tbh
Raise your topical dose and you will still accomplish your goal with no extra burden on the liver, even if you will achieve the same 5-ar suicidal inhibition throughout the whole body.

There's a point in which more drug won't lead to a higher 5-ar inhibition anyway.

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
185 was while using it weekly (once a week)

I'm stopping because I will perform a CB-03-01 7.5% experiment to assess changes in hormones (DHEA and Cortisol) as well as DHT, Test, etc..

Illusion

My Regimen
Reaction score
Delivery it's not hard at all. The 500 Dalton rule has always been misinterpreted.
We have data showing that it lowers s app DHT even when dissolved in Trichosol, with no penetration enhancer. So if you get liposomes you will have a really good amount of local DHT inhibition, with reduced systemic absorption.
All the data in studies that actually measured scalp DHT has shown a superiority of scalp inhibition when compared to oral, so I don't really know what's the deal with taking 5-ar inhibitors orally.
On top of that, dutasteride has a huge impact on sperm motility and quality, it's liver toxic, it can cause metabolic syndrome and it basically wipes out allopregnanolone in the brain.

What I always say is don't consider sexual sides like the only problem and the marker to take in account for treatment tolerability, rather check all your health markers for long term health. Few people on this forum do.

You raise some good points. I'd love to get off oral dutasteride or at least reduce the dosage/frequency, with sperm quality and mental health (neurosteroid production) being the main reasons.

I've never seen even one study in which they compared oral dutasteride to topical dutasteride while also measuring scalp and serum DHT levels. I've just looked for them again but couldn't find any. Could you link me them? I'd be very interested in reading them. I don't know much about liposomes but will read upon them as well. As far as my current understanding goes, you cannot really create your own liposomal dutasteride topical and you need to get it compounded. That would make it a pretty costly option, also the availability might not be very good (I'm EU based).

Another thing that makes me a bit wary of topical dutasteride is that oral dutasteride is reasonably well researched result-wsie for hair regarding dosage, frequency etc compared to topical dutasteride but that might be just me having missed all those studies that are out there apparently. Getting the right dosage and frequency just often seems to be a guessing game with topicals, especially when vehicle (and possibly microneedling timing/depth) plays such an import role in absorption through the scalp.

Stating facts

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
185 was while using it weekly (once a week)

I'm stopping because I will perform a CB-03-01 7.5% experiment to assess changes in hormones (DHEA and Cortisol) as well as DHT, Test, etc..
All this effort after going through 12 transplants. I believe more and more that transplants are hit and miss, and never work without AA's. (No offence to you here!)

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
All this effort after going through 12 transplants. I believe more and more that transplants are hit and miss, and never work without AA's. (No offence to you here!)

Thank you for your invaluable offering to this thread.

Hair Transplants certainly don't work without meds if you have a large area affected by AA to cover and a limited donor supply which is the case for 90% of patients. I could not use any protection and I will have hair the rest of my life that will look good but why settle on that if it can look great?

Under your logic I should just let all my native hair fall out so I need more hair transplants? and how is the amount of hair transplants relevant? Last time I checked it was the amount of grafts that counted.

What effort? mixing a solution that takes 20 seconds to apply?, I enjoy doing this. Experimenting, doing blood work, studying and learning is a passion. It's not an effort.

Stating facts

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for your invaluable offering to this thread.

Hair Transplants certainly don't work without meds if you have a large area affected by AA to cover and a limited donor supply which is the case for 90% of patients. I could not use any protection and I will have hair the rest of my life that will look good but why settle on that if it can look great?

Under your logic I should just let all my native hair fall out so I need more hair transplants? and how is the amount of hair transplants relevant? Last time I checked it was the amount of grafts that counted.

What effort? mixing a solution that takes 20 seconds to apply?, I enjoy doing this. Experimenting, doing blood work, studying and learning is a passion. It's not an effort.

Valuable or invaluable - we will leave that for the readers to decide. Again, this was not meant to discredit you in any sense, and more in light of a transplant, as many believe that it is the ultimate end of their hair loss.

Coming to the effort part - My math includes the time and resources that goes in the blood work afterwards, as well as procuring any medication, and does not stop at 20 seconds. But, I do agree with your learning part. Good luck with your experiment!

SausageDawg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Valuable or invaluable - we will leave that for the readers to decide. Again, this was not meant to discredit you in any sense, and more in light of a transplant, as many believe that it is the ultimate end of their hair loss.

Coming to the effort part - My math includes the time and resources that goes in the blood work afterwards, as well as procuring any medication, and does not stop at 20 seconds. But, I do agree with your learning part. Good luck with your experiment!
You came off reasonable mate dw about it. Hostility is easy to perceive.