3 months on finasteride now..

Kareltje

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm 3 months on finasteride now and the only things I've noticed are:

- hair seems to have gotten a bit thinner (but this could be due to the fact that I haven't cut my hair in the last 3 months, so an optical illusion)
- facial hair growth seems to have slowed down (not a bad side effect I guess)
- it seems I get tired easier, but that might just be because I'm really active the last months.

The first 2 months I took propecia split in halves so 0.5mg.

And now I'm taking cinfa finasterida 5mg split in fourths, that I ordered from a European pharma site. Could it be these aren't the real thing? Or am I just not responding to fina at all?

What I was hoping for is:

- Thicker hair on the top, it's ok the way it is, but it better not be thinning on me
- less bodyhair

But as it stands now both of these seem to have gone the other way... ah well.

killbill123

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm at 4 mos, and I report similar things. But I keep hearing that it'll get better after 6 mos so I'm riding it out.

vipergts

Established Member
Reaction score
Almost 9 months and hair has turned into S***. Wish I never started finasteride. My crown vertex and temples have thinned out to about 40 percent of the baseline density. All that bull crap about "things will turn around" kept me going but now I see my life becoming a nightmare. People on this forum frown upon folks like me claiming that finasteride accelerated my hairloss, but all the evidence in front of me points to this. I have persisted with the minoxidil, spironolactone, CP combo that I had been using prior to starting finasteride and my diet and lifestyle are unchanged. My hairloss was very slow for the last 3-4 years prior to finasteride, but as soon as I got on finasteride it went into overdrive. I will ride out the next 3 months so I would have been on the drug exactly 1 year and if nothing happens I will probably have no choice but to shave it off. Thanks for nothing Merck!

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
vipergts said:
Almost 9 months and hair has turned into S***. Wish I never started finasteride. My crown vertex and temples have thinned out to about 40 percent of the baseline density. All that bull crap about "things will turn around" kept me going but now I see my life becoming a nightmare. People on this forum frown upon folks like me claiming that finasteride accelerated my hairloss, but all the evidence in front of me points to this. I have persisted with the minoxidil, spironolactone, CP combo that I had been using prior to starting finasteride and my diet and lifestyle are unchanged. My hairloss was very slow for the last 3-4 years prior to finasteride, but as soon as I got on finasteride it went into overdrive. I will ride out the next 3 months so I would have been on the drug exactly 1 year and if nothing happens I will probably have no choice but to shave it off. Thanks for nothing Merck!

hmm maibe youre hairloss is testosterone effected... then propecia could be only harming you further.. since it increses test with 10 %.
on some few it just does not work.
Do you use minoxidil twice a day.. or do you forget alot, using minoxidil not regulary could alsow be harmfull.

John

vipergts

Established Member
Reaction score
Jojje said:
vipergts said:

hmm maibe youre hairloss is testosterone effected... then propecia could be only harming you further.. since it increses test with 10 %.
Do you use minoxidil twice a day.. or do you forget alot, using minoxidil not regulary could alsow be harmfull.

John

Hey John,

Yeah I have thought about that too and wondered if the access Testosterone is causing the hairloss to accelerate. But this is a theory that most people on this forum completly reject. Has it ever been proven that high test could accelerate male pattern baldness?

Viper

pinkfloyd7

Established Member
Reaction score
why don't you just go get your testosterone levels tested and see if its to high????

HairMe

Reaction score
Kareltje, do you happen to take monthly pictures? I believe you can compare those pictures whether you've had a regrowth rather than illusionating.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
keep it a yr

ps1freak

Established Member
Reaction score
hey i really didn't start seeing good things happen until month 4. try not to look in the mirror every single day, and cut the hair short! check back every 2-3 weeks and then see if you ar ereally losing or not.

gl!

ginner

Established Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, finasteride won't work for everyone. 85% of people can expect to maintain at the least but of course that leaves 15% who won't. It's probably reasonable to say that in that 15% there are some people who will respond badly to finasteride. Yeah, it sucks. The thing is, you need to stay on finasteride for 6 months straight to be able to make an effective evalutation of whether it's working. If you stop sooner you won't really know whether it was going to be effective.

If it's really bothering you then you should stop it. I think you have to trust your gut feeling to an extent. But if you're just a bit unsure then stick with it for another 3 months. You're basically half way there.

muaythai187

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm on the same situation ,I have been in finasteride for 2 months & half and my hair has gotten thinner then again its too early to give up hope. About getting tired ,I noticed that side the first week I took finasteride and now I just take it at night. I'm going to ride out for at least 12 months and at least get my money back if it doesnt work.

ps1freak

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah def take it for a whole year before you give it up. i know it sucks in the early months, but you are doing the best you can ~

Kareltje

Reaction score
Ah I will try it a couple more months and see where we go from there. Will get a haircut in the next month too, cause if I'm regrowing new hair, they aren't visible at the moment :p.

Is my finasteride the real thing though? It is finasterida cinfa 5mg from spain..

RaginDemon

Reaction score
ginner said:
Unfortunately, finasteride won't work for everyone. 85% of people can expect to maintain at the least but of course that leaves 15% who won't. It's probably reasonable to say that in that 15% there are some people who will respond badly to finasteride. Yeah, it sucks. The thing is, you need to stay on finasteride for 6 months straight to be able to make an effective evalutation of whether it's working. If you stop sooner you won't really know whether it was going to be effective.

If it's really bothering you then you should stop it. I think you have to trust your gut feeling to an extent. But if you're just a bit unsure then stick with it for another 3 months. You're basically half way there.

still you need to keep taking it for a yr to see wheather if you are the lucky 85% of population who take finasteride.

muaythai187

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm on the third month of finasteride as well and it seems my hair is getting thinner like you guys. I thinking positive results in the next 9 months or maybe 3 months because according to merck by six month you should have at least maintain your hair by the sixth month. The reason i would probably do 12 months is at least to get my freaking refund from merck.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
ginner said:

out of the 15% non responders, I believe some of their hairloss was actually not male pattern baldness related.

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
My body hair didn't get noticeably thinner until quite a while after the hair on my head got thicker. About three months in between these two or so.

ginner

Established Member
Reaction score
Re:

RaginDemon said:
out of the 15% non responders, I believe some of their hairloss was actually not male pattern baldness related.
Yes, I'd say that's certainly true. But like any medication finasteride will not work for everyone. Some people with male pattern baldness simply won't see results with finasteride.

I also agree that 1 year would be a better indication of whether or not finasteride is working. But I'd say 6 months at an absolute minimum for someone who is unsure about it. Anything less than that won't give you a good indication of finasteride's effectiveness. One year would be better, but you have to give it at least half a year or you might as well not try it in the first place.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
just keep it up for 3 more months

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re:

vipergts said:
Jojje said:
vipergts said:

John

Hey John,

Yeah I have thought about that too and wondered if the access Testosterone is causing the hairloss to accelerate. But this is a theory that most people on this forum completly reject. Has it ever been proven that high test could accelerate male pattern baldness?

Viper
yes there have been tests that show that big amounts of Testosterone can damage hair and get hairlos but finasteride is not really a risk for that.
Ugualy it goes for bodybuilders/ or other guys that use steroids... and im not saying that all bodybuilders use steroids.. just some of them.