3 months finasteride and minoxidil - Questions

Bad

Established Member
Reaction score
Its been 3 months since i started finasteride and 2 months since i bumped minoxidil dosage from 1x per day to 2x per day. So far ive got no progress really, just a few of those very small hairs sprouting on my hairline (but ive always had some peach fuzz in my temple area so it may be my head playing tricks on me, im not sure), and i believe its less thick overall.

Questions:

1- Is there hope for hairline regrowth in a few months or If i haven't gotten it so far I never will?

2- I get some flaking from extra minoxidil residue or dry skin, should I keep using Nizoral? I haven't used it that much because it dries my scalp so i feel it may not be helping a lot.

3- My right temple has been red for the last one or two weeks in the place where i apply minoxidil and ive been getting 1 or 2 pimples in that area. Is there something i can do to stop that redness? Ive been applying some sweet almond oil and some olive oil but it hasnt helped much. Ive ordered some castor oil to see if it helps.

Thank you.

thinkimbalding

Reaction score
I find using Apple Cider Vinegar rinse with half ACV and half water to help with how my hair and scalp feel, maybe this is just me, but might be worth a shot.

Derpicus

Established Member
Reaction score
Generally around the 1-3 month mark is when people notice a shedding period. I honestly noticed some regrowth when I was around 3 and a half months, not much but it was there. I'm currently at 6 months and 21 days and I can say that compared to my 3 month mark there's been a huge improvement. It's still not ideal though. I've also only been on minoxidil for one month and just started my minoxidil shed as well though.

The thing with minoxidil and finasteride that I've gotten from searching is that there's no real way to tell what its gonna do for you. You just gotta use it and see, everyone reacts differently. But you also gotta remember not everyone gets regrowth its generally viewed as a bonus and I believe regrowth has been shown to occur more in people who are younger. Generally finasteride just helps halt/slow down male pattern baldness or helps you maintain your current hair. I think 3 months you'd see results from minoxidil but finasteride I think takes longer to do its part, that's why its recommended to use it for at least 6-12 months, and the best results come at the 24 month mark.

I can't help you with the Nizoral question since I just started it and it doesn't seem to dry my scalp out that badly, but I'm only doing it once every week. As for minoxidil I believe the redness is cause its irritating your scalp you could try a lower % if you are using the 5% try 2%. I've also heard that foam isn't as irritating as the liquid so that may help as well. As for the area that has the pimples it could be caused from the solution dripping try to ensure that you don't add 2 much and if it drips from the intended area wipe it off using some toilet paper or a tissue. Hope this helps.

Bad

Established Member
Reaction score
I find using Apple Cider Vinegar rinse with half ACV and half water to help with how my hair and scalp feel, maybe this is just me, but might be worth a shot.

Thanks. Ill give it a try. How long do you apply it for?

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 3 months into finasteride now for sure but not taking it daily e.t.c. I have noticed loads of vellus hairs, some are becoming permanent but most are vellus. I think you have to assess at the 1 year mark. I'm not on Minoxidil.

Bad

Established Member
Reaction score
Generally around the 1-3 month mark is when people notice a shedding period. I honestly noticed some regrowth when I was around 3 and a half months, not much but it was there. I'm currently at 6 months and 21 days and I can say that compared to my 3 month mark there's been a huge improvement. It's still not ideal though. I've also only been on minoxidil for one month and just started my minoxidil shed as well though.

The thing with minoxidil and finasteride that I've gotten from searching is that there's no real way to tell what its gonna do for you. You just gotta use it and see, everyone reacts differently. But you also gotta remember not everyone gets regrowth its generally viewed as a bonus and I believe regrowth has been shown to occur more in people who are younger. Generally finasteride just helps halt/slow down male pattern baldness or helps you maintain your current hair. I think 3 months you'd see results from minoxidil but finasteride I think takes longer to do its part, that's why its recommended to use it for at least 6-12 months, and the best results come at the 24 month mark.

I can't help you with the Nizoral question since I just started it and it doesn't seem to dry my scalp out that badly, but I'm only doing it once every week. As for minoxidil I believe the redness is cause its irritating your scalp you could try a lower % if you are using the 5% try 2%. I've also heard that foam isn't as irritating as the liquid so that may help as well. As for the area that has the pimples it could be caused from the solution dripping try to ensure that you don't add 2 much and if it drips from the intended area wipe it off using some toilet paper or a tissue. Hope this helps.

Thanks, ill probably wait on minoxidil for a couple more months then ill decide if its worth keeping.

Ill start using the nizoral once a week as well and adding the castor oil to my shampoo for some damage control.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm 3 months into finasteride now for sure but not taking it daily e.t.c. I have noticed loads of vellus hairs, some are becoming permanent but most are vellus. I think you have to assess at the 1 year mark. I'm not on Minoxidil.

Im definitely keeping finasteride. Im just wondering if minoxidil is doing anything good.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's no way to know what Minoxidil is doing as you're using both together.

winnyblues

Banned
Reaction score
lol i agree with wolf pack.. saying that $350 AUD for minoxidil for 12 months is **** all considering I used to spend 5k a year on weed alone. let alone other useless ****. spending 500 dollars to maintain my hair is a cheap investment and a worthy investment..

David.G

Established Member
Reaction score
1. I had a massive shed in my 4th month. It might be hair loss from male pattern baldness or shedding..I'm not sure, but I'm rapidly losing it. I'd say in my 3rd month though I had small sprouting hairs and a few that have grown but aren't standing up straight. They are long but weak and they just rest atop my scalp. I'm hoping those shed eventually and grow back stronger. Its disheartening though as some areas are improving and others look worse than before I started. Hopefully yours is just a slow progression and will improve. If I could do things over again I would have just used finasteride to see if it worked.

2. I use castor oil/virgin olive oil on my scalp 3-4 times a week and leave it on for about 30min. Then wash it off. It really helps. No more flakes. I used to go into work with white stains on the top of my forehead and people would notice. No amount of lotion got rid of it too. Embarrassing.

3. Maybe your skin is dry and irritated? I used to get redness on the forehead until I started rubbing castor oil/olive oil all over. I think it clogs pores as I've gotten a few small pimples but it definitely helped with the redness.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
lol i agree with wolf pack.. saying that $350 AUD for minoxidil for 12 months is **** all considering I used to spend 5k a year on weed alone. let alone other useless ****. spending 500 dollars to maintain my hair is a cheap investment and a worthy investment..

5k on weed?! That rivals my mate's smoking habit. Yeah we are lucky that in this day and age all hair loss treatments are cheap, IF you do your research.

winnyblues

Banned
Reaction score
5k on weed?! That rivals my mate's smoking habit. Yeah we are lucky that in this day and age all hair loss treatments are cheap, IF you do your research.
i know right?
but i used to smoke a 50 every 3 or 4 days so 365 days divide by 3.5 = 104 times that by 50 is 5k
so yeah spending a few hundred on hair means **** all for me..

i guess not smoking will probably be good for my hair because i heard smoking cuts down the blood flow circulation in the hair.. not sure if thats true or not
but going back to the topic at hand... im in a very similar boat.. though ive only been on finasteride for 1 and a half months

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
i know right?
but i used to smoke a 50 every 3 or 4 days so 365 days divide by 3.5 = 104 times that by 50 is 5k
so yeah spending a few hundred on hair means **** all for me..

i guess not smoking will probably be good for my hair because i heard smoking cuts down the blood flow circulation in the hair.. not sure if thats true or not
but going back to the topic at hand... im in a very similar boat.. though ive only been on finasteride for 1 and a half months

What you noticed hair wise the last month or so?

Yeah the smoking adds up. I'm not sure if smoking is bad for the hair but definitely is linked with grey hairs. Technically smoking can narrow your arteries with atherosclerosis so would affect scalp circulation but unlikely. Mainly affects arteries in your legs directly.

winnyblues

Banned
Reaction score
What you noticed hair wise the last month or so?

Yeah the smoking adds up. I'm not sure if smoking is bad for the hair but definitely is linked with grey hairs. Technically smoking can narrow your arteries with atherosclerosis so would affect scalp circulation but unlikely. Mainly affects arteries in your legs directly.
nah just noticed that ive had small vellus hair grow on the hairline. but like my hairline isnt even super bad im more worried about my crown (thinning). I have my head shaved without the guard so a 0 cut (to the skin). I look good with a completely shaved head so I'm ok with that. I'll try growing my hair after like 6 months to a year on finasteride just to see if my hair has thickened up or not but I'm not holding my breath. I plan to have a FUE procedure probably when i'm 27 (3-4 years from now) to bring my hairline down from NW2 to NW1.5-1 but until then I'll just stay on finasteride and minoxidil I guess

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
nah just noticed that ive had small vellus hair grow on the hairline. but like my hairline isnt even super bad im more worried about my crown (thinning). I have my head shaved without the guard so a 0 cut (to the skin). I look good with a completely shaved head so I'm ok with that. I'll try growing my hair after like 6 months to a year on finasteride just to see if my hair has thickened up or not but I'm not holding my breath. I plan to have a FUE procedure probably when i'm 27 (3-4 years from now) to bring my hairline down from NW2 to NW1.5-1 but until then I'll just stay on finasteride and minoxidil I guess

Great long term plan bro. Hopefully things will get better.

For me it's all about the hairline, hoping to go closer to Norwood 2 then I am sorted essentially. I can see this happening if the hairs become terminal, density probably won't be great but that's ok as it's the hairline which normally starts of light.

Derpicus

Established Member
Reaction score
Just want to warn you, that if minoxidil was working for you and you discontinue it you're gonna be experiencing a really bad shed and lose the progress it gave you. But everyone knows their hair the best, just if you feel hesitant about the progress it may be giving you take photos from before treatment then every half month. Evaluate based on that. Hope everything works out well for you.

Bad

Established Member
Reaction score
Just want to warn you, that if minoxidil was working for you and you discontinue it you're gonna be experiencing a really bad shed and lose the progress it gave you. But everyone knows their hair the best, just if you feel hesitant about the progress it may be giving you take photos from before treatment then every half month. Evaluate based on that. Hope everything works out well for you.

I am doing that.
3m.jpgbaseline.jpg

First one is 3 months into finasteride and 2 months 2x minoxidil per day , second one is when i was just using minoxidil once a day.

No real change.