3 Month Mark! finasteride and Minoxidil

Francisco

Reaction score
What's up guys. I know many of you like myself have searched high and low throughout various sites throughout to find out information for the problem we all entail, hair-loss. I've decided to write on behalf my experience thus far in order to give others some perspective, and also to receive some constructive criticism.

Background Info: 22 years old, diffuse thinner. I started noticing hair-loss around when I was 18. I decided to started to use Biotin for a period of time, which work pretty effectively, but then the inevitable started to happen, hair-loss began to creep more and more.

What I did: Age 20, after Biotin stopped working for me, I decided to start (June 2011) using Minoxidil (Kirkland Generic 2ML Daily), the results were minimal but I decided to keep at it. The results didn't vary for me I still didn't see any tremendous regrowth but continued with Minoxidil topical.

Current Situation:
Age 22, I had decided to make an appointment with my doctor to get a prescription for finasteride (02/2014), keep in mind I was still using Minoxidil daily (1ML). After filling out the script at Costco, (02/22/2014) I've decided to start using finasteride and Minoxidil in combination hoping for the best. For me, I'm at the 3 1/2 mark for using both simultaneously (finasteride 1MG. M-W-F and Minoxidil 1ML Daily).

Results so far.. The results are minimal, though since adding finasteride, I have notice more hairs sticking up and I'm hoping it will get better! I'm going continue with M-W-F b/c I believe ED is a bit over the top, though I think at the 4 month mark, I will start using finasteride EOD.

Conclusion:
Results vary throughout, for those debating on weather to start or not, I say the choice is yours honestly. I think starting for me is still trying at the least. I haven't had any side effects regarding the usage of finasteride itself.

Regards: If those out there have any questions or suggestions in regards, please feel free to comment! I know my post isn't a "Success Story" as of (yet). I just wanted to give my perspective thus far on the combination of using finasteride and Minoxidil .

Francisco

Reaction score
Currently to date: (9/22) this is the 7th month mark for me using finasteride EOD (Generic Costco script) and Minoxidil PM usage (Kirkland 5%) figure I'd do an update if anyone cared to know the progress I've experience thus far. Also, I took the time to upload some pics from the beginning of starting finasteride (2/22) until now (9/22)

Experience so far: So first off, not to worry any of you's but I did experience some slight brain fog. Otherwise no other side effects. I was taking finasteride on a M-W-F schedule usually in the mornings before class or work. I did notice a slight impairment as far as my cognitive levels were concerned. To combat that I decided to take the medication during the evenings around 7-8 PM, "brain fog" no longer existed. I did switch from M-W-F schedule to EOD as planned and I've mention in my original post at the 3 month mark.

Results: I'm staying very positive, but honestly nothing to noticeable has happen as far as growth. It looks slightly better I suppose, but nothing to dramatic. I have missed a few days of applying the Min (5% at Night). But I try to keep up with it daily. I do take the finasteride EOD. I've been shedding as expected. from the 3 month mark up until the 7 month mark (9/22) I have went a week or two without shedding which was noticeable. But the hairs seem to be shedding once again, not sure if its a good sigh or what. Who knows...

Anyways...I hope those out there who are trying to combat this situation are staying positive! Also any feedback/questions/comments/concerns feel free to hit me up. Enjoy your day guys!

***The above has NOT been updated (as of yet)*** <-- This message was written on 09/25/16

Pictures

Picture below (2/22/2014) Day 1 of adding finasteride. remember in my original post, I've mention I've been using Minoxidil 5% daily by itself prior to this date. This picture below is the starting point of adding finasteride
photo 1.jpg

This picture was taken around the 3 month mark. As you can see I cut my hair fairly short, well bc it doesn't really grow. Skin fade on the sides, and 3 on the top biweekly.

photo.jpg

This picture below was taken as of (9/22/2014)

photo (1).jpg
This picture below was taken today (11/21/2014) Seems little bit more improvement please note I'm still using 1mg of finasteride every other day. Thinking it might be advantageous for me to know switch to 1mg per day.
IMG_20141121_103026.jpg
This picture below was taken today (2/11/2015). I'm inching closer to the 1 year mark on finasteride 1MG which is (2/22) and Minoxidil 5% once a day topically. Since my last post (the pic above taken at 11/21) I've switched over from taking finasteride 1MG EOD to once a day nightly. To summarize, I started finasteride 1mg since 2-22-14 by taking it on a M-W-F schedule. Than at the 3-4 months into it I switched over to EOD. And since 11-21-14 I've switched to taking it daily at night. I'm not quite sure if it's 100% working. To be honest, my hair really doesn't grow that much. I'll get a 3 on the top every 2-3 weeks and I barely see any hair get trimmed off. Also! I recently decided to stop smoking cigarettes. It's been a week and I'm hoping my hair will improve after a while from quitting. I know that smoking greatly impacts hair growth for some individuals. If you guys have any questions, comments, or concerns. Hmu I'd appreciate any insight if possible and be glad to answer some questions if needed.
IMG_20150211_102901.jpg

Picture below was taken on (03/13/2015). So it's been about 13 months in total since I've added finasteride to my regimen. I've been still using Minoxidil topical 2-2.5mL nightly and taking generic finasteride 1mg nightly.
IMG_20150313_105252.jpg
Picture below was taken on (09/23/2015). So it's been about 1 year & 8 months in total since I've added finasteride to my regimen. I've been still using Minoxidil topical 2-2.5mL nightly and taking generic finasteride 1mg nightly (I probably miss about 5-7 doses of finasteride each month.) Adding Nizoral very soon.
IMG_20150923_193016.jpg

Thoughts: (Picture above 09/23/15) - Slightly disappointed, I sort of thought by now I'd actually see noticeable improvement as many other posts I've seen on this website, I thought I'd be at that point and would forget about hair loss, it seems bliss. But it just seems like I'm not meant for improvement? Ahh. It's a suckie feeling. Sorry to throw out negativity, but results do vary for everyone. But I sort of wish at the very least, for once, that this would be the thing I'd be able to combat it. You know what I mean? But we've just got to deal with the cards we're dealt with I suppose! I suppose I will continue using this regime. Hopefully things look up.

The picture below was taken today (09/25/16). It's been 2 years and 8 months since I've added finasteride to my regimen. I still continue to use Kirkland Minoxidil 2-2.5 mL nightly and taking generic finasteride 1mg 5 out of 7 days during the week in the morning. I've added Nizoral to the mix and use it 2-3x a week give or take.
IMG_0883.JPG

Last edited:

bram1988

Reaction score
Dude. That does look like some solid progress. Hard to see what we should contribute to hair growth, but if you keep this up it looks very promosing

GodisnotBald

Reaction score
Dude, these pictures meet all the different criteria defining what the beginning of a success story consist in : PROGRESS, definitively!

Let's wait some additionnal months!

Man, why don't you add Nizoral 2% twice a week to your treatment? Big 3 bro, that's what I'm talking about

rafa44

Reaction score
Are you using minoxidil foam or liquid? The liquid minoxidil consistently makes me shed incessantly due to PPG or another additive that is not in the foam. Equate generic works well and is cost effective.

Francisco

Reaction score
Thanks for the support bro. I do have RegenePure, I used it for a period of time last year, but I haven't really kept up with using it. I might start using it twice a week if possible now.

- - - Updated - - -

@GodisnotBald Thanks for the support bro. I do have RegenePure, I used it for a period of time last year, but I haven't really kept up with using it. I might start using it twice a week if possible now.

Francisco

Reaction score
Are you using minoxidil foam or liquid? The liquid minoxidil consistently makes me shed incessantly due to PPG or another additive that is not in the foam. Equate generic works well and is cost effective.
@raff44 Currently using Kirkland Minoxidil Liquid, 2ML daily at night. And I'm not quite sure what you mean by "shed incessantly due to PPG" do further elaborate if possible. When applying I do lose hairs upon application as I'm trying to apply across my scalp.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great stuff but why finasteride just 3 times a week?

Francisco

Reaction score
Great stuff but why finasteride just 3 times a week?

@Wolf Pack Well when I first introduced the drug (finasteride) into my body (02/22/14) I felt that taking the drug once a day seem to be a bit of overkill in my opinion. I did do some online research on various websites and forums of course like many do when in search for a solution. Many people stated this and that in regards to the "side effects" that may occur, in order to reduce those effects, again in my opinion I decided to slowly introduce the drug into my body by taking it on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule. I then said to myself if all works well at the 3-4 month mark (no side effects) I'd up the intake of finasteride by every other day. But, honestly I believe that the side effects are bit of a placebo effect, if one channels ones mentality that finasteride is a risky drug, thus there's a great chance that one might indeed experience "side effects." But regardless my doctor mention that he himself had been taking finasteride daily since he was 30 (he's 45 now) and said that all would be well. He did recommend that daily was ideal and for me not to worry about the side effects. But I'm not that gullible just because he's a "doctor" doesn't mean I'll take his word on it. So to answer your question, I did a bit of experimenting MWF worked fine, no side effects. I did at the 3-4 month increase the dosage to 1mg every other day. And glad to mention, aside from the slight brain fog (which I've mention how that was resolved), that all is well.

notbalding83

Reaction score
@Wolf Pack Well when I first introduced the drug (finasteride) into my body (02/22/14) I felt that taking the drug once a day seem to be a bit of overkill in my opinion. I did do some online research on various websites and forums of course like many do when in search for a solution. Many people stated this and that in regards to the "side effects" that may occur, in order to reduce those effects, again in my opinion I decided to slowly introduce the drug into my body by taking it on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule. I then said to myself if all works well at the 3-4 month mark (no side effects) I'd up the intake of finasteride by every other day. But, honestly I believe that the side effects are bit of a placebo effect, if one channels ones mentality that finasteride is a risky drug, thus there's a great chance that one might indeed experience "side effects." But regardless my doctor mention that he himself had been taking finasteride daily since he was 30 (he's 45 now) and said that all would be well. He did recommend that daily was ideal and for me not to worry about the side effects. But I'm not that gullible just because he's a "doctor" doesn't mean I'll take his word on it. So to answer your question, I did a bit of experimenting MWF worked fine, no side effects. I did at the 3-4 month increase the dosage to 1mg every other day. And glad to mention, aside from the slight brain fog (which I've mention how that was resolved), that all is well.

Wow! 15 years? How's his hair?

Francisco

Reaction score
Wow! 15 years? How's his hair?

It was alright. But, you could definitely tell he had some sort of hair-loss, but it looked more suited for his age. Though, he did mention that he didn't use anything topical such as minoxidil in combination to finasteride.

themiz1234

Established Member
Reaction score
Great results, it looks like we share very similar types of hair loss. You may have just convinced me to start finasteride finally!

Francisco

Reaction score
Getting close to my one year anniversary guys since being on finasteride 1mg. Take a look at the picture updates on the first page. I've recently updated it. I'd appreciate and feedback or questions!

Francisco

Reaction score
So I've uploaded another picture. It's been 13 months since I've added finasteride to my regimen (take a look at the first page. I've complied all the pictures accordingly). Can't say that I've made too much progress since. A bit disappointed, I expected a bit more of results by now, but still hopeful. Perhaps I'm sinned? Lol. I think that a lot since finasteride hasn't been giving me dramatic results. It's been hard trying to quit cigarettes, I think my hairloss has been attributed also to the fact that I'm a smoker. I've been going couple days at a time without them. But I want to be free from them and in the mist hopefully it helps out with my progress, who knows! Still have been shedding lately, seems like I've been shedding/losing hairs daily for quite some time (pass 2-3 months). I'm wondering if the finasteride or Min is even working? Lol.

I know everyone likes to see positive posts with dramatic results. Unfortunately so far mine aren't. I still like to log in here every so often when I get a chance for everyone else out there who's in a similar boat. All the best guys on this journey!

Anyways, again feel free to respond with any questions/comments/concerns. I'll respond accordingly.

Reaction score
Dude, these pictures meet all the different criteria defining what the beginning of a success story consist in : PROGRESS, definitively!

Let's wait some additionnal months!

Man, why don't you add Nizoral 2% twice a week to your treatment? Big 3 bro, that's what I'm talking about

I love everything about who you are