3.5 MONTHS on finasteride only. WTF IS GOING ON

GayActorMichaelDouglas

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on finasteride only for the last 3/5 months. Currently on 1mg 3 times a week (MWF)
My hair looks like it's gone to absolute sh*t. The attached pictures are from this week before I decided to just shave my f*****g head.
Can someone chime in on this and say if this is considered shedding or wtf is going because I am losing it over here.

I've also included a link to my original post below (baselines) around the same time I started finasteride.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 339

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You really should try adding a treatment or two, like needling + minoxidil. Finasteride by itself has a hard time with just maintaining. I would also say to give finasteride more time, perhaps increase the dosage to daily.

GayActorMichaelDouglas

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Would really like to hold off on the min as much as I possibly can. What I'm worried about is the fact that my hair looks so much worse now. Is this normal? I thought shedding just meant seeing hairs when you shower but an overall loss in complete density.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Would really like to hold off on the min as much as I possibly can. What I'm worried about is the fact that my hair looks so much worse now. Is this normal? I thought shedding just meant seeing hairs when you shower but an overall loss in complete density.
Your hair was longer in the other photos. With your hair shorter you can see your pattern more. It looks like the same pattern you had when your hair was longer. Once your hair grows back to where it was before it will look the same. Keep on your treatments but just remember finasteride alone will not work as well as when it is combined with a growth stimulant like minoxidil. You were definitely heading toward a high Norwood before treatment.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score

Drop finasteride to 1x every 3 weeks. If your hair gets worse come back and ask the forum why

jazz1

Reaction score
What brand Finasteride are you using?

dudealpha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on finasteride only for the last 3/5 months. Currently on 1mg 3 times a week (MWF)
My hair looks like it's gone to absolute sh*t. The attached pictures are from this week before I decided to just shave my f*****g head.
Can someone chime in on this and say if this is considered shedding or wtf is going because I am losing it over here.

I've also included a link to my original post below (baselines) around the same time I started finasteride.

you're probably going through a shed. that ironically means that it's working for you.

GayActorMichaelDouglas

My Regimen
Reaction score
Change it to 1mg daily
Why? I was told by the doctor to do 3X a week since according to him the levels of DHT being suppressed is no that much of a difference. I just don't know if I'm going through a shed or if I'm actually losing more ground while on 3 mg a week as opposed to 7 mg a week.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

It looks like shedding from Finasteride, also the fact that your hair is cut really short and the top of your scalp is exposed to sunlight (which picks up more inside the front seat of a car in photos) now compared to your older pictures with longer hair makes it much more visible the extent of your hairloss.

I would say unless you have had side effects on Finasteride (sexual mainly) then continue, I usually don't advise anyone use Finasteride unless their not getting any side effects. Although 3.5 weeks is still early and most don't notice side effects that early but it is a possibility.

If it's possible as others recommended, try adding Minoxidil and microneedling.

While you may regret cutting your hair so short now as it increases your anxiety and depression, it actually makes applying Minoxidil, which is a topical treatment, way more easier. It also makes micro-needling easier.

If you want, if it's possible for you to obtain, you could try oral Minoxidil as well, some people report really good results, but the reviews are mixed.

Last edited:

GayActorMichaelDouglas

My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks like shedding from Finasteride, also the fact that your hair is cut really short and the top of your scalp is exposed to sunlight (which picks up more inside the front seat of a car in photos) now compared to your older pictures with longer hair makes it much more visible the extent of your hairloss.

I would say unless you have had side effects on Finasteride (sexual mainly) then continue, I usually don't advise anyone use Finasteride unless their not getting any side effects. Although 3.5 weeks is still early and most don't notice side effects that early.

If it's possible as others recommended, try adding Minoxidil and microneedling.

While you may regret cutting your hair so short now as it increases your anxiety and depression, it actually makes applying Minoxidil, which is a topical treatment, way more easier. It also makes micro-needling easier.

If you want, if it's possible for you to obtain, you could try oral Minoxidil as well, some people report really good results, but the reviews are mixed.
Thanks for the lengthy reply. Just wanted to make the quick point that I've been on finasteride for 3.5 months as opposed to 3.5 weeks like you mentioned. I think the fact that I was letting my hair grow longer definitely did make my hair loss less visible. All things considered, I'm actually glad I shaved my head and started this sh*t because being a diffuse thinner could sometimes help people prolong things until it's really bad and give them the fake safety feeling of "Oh I still have hair". I know that's how I felt. Anyways, thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it. Do you think I should change my dosage from 1mg (MWF) to everyday?

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the lengthy reply. Just wanted to make the quick point that I've been on finasteride for 3.5 months as opposed to 3.5 weeks like you mentioned. I think the fact that I was letting my hair grow longer definitely did make my hair loss less visible. All things considered, I'm actually glad I shaved my head and started this sh*t because being a diffuse thinner could sometimes help people prolong things until it's really bad and give them the fake safety feeling of "Oh I still have hair". I know that's how I felt. Anyways, thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it. Do you think I should change my dosage from 1mg (MWF) to everyday?
Ah yes, I misread that. And I agree with you regarding the fake safety feeling diffuse thinning gives people which most times they only notice it if they cut their hair really short or they take a photo with damp/wet hair with room lighting directly above.

If you've been fortune not to any side effects on Finasteride, then continue, I know the sheds can be brutal. You might only see improvement at the 1 year mark. And based on your hairloss you need to be on some sort of treatment.

Your doctor actually advised you correctly by telling you to only use Finasteride 3 times a week, many doctors don't do this. You don't need to be using it any more than that since it will still be in your system and overly using Finasteride will just make it more likely for you to get sides.

Seriously try to get onto some other types of treatment as well, since hairloss is complex and requires a multi-faceted approach to combat it.

Throw in Minoxidil oral tablets if you can since I've heard more people report better results than using topical Minoxidil. Plus using topical Minoxidil or topical anything is a tedious task to do daily, twice a day. Oral medication is so much easier.

For best results combine all the above mentioned with micro-needling.

You just need to maintain till 2023 when Kintors Pyrilutamide or Breezula is released. Those will probably do a much better job at fixing your hair.

Then Kintor is also releasing another hair loss treatment which is an AR degrador called GT20029 after that. But it might be a few years after Pyrilutamide is released before we see GT20029 as Phase 1 trials in China has only started a few days ago. Fortunately, the process to market a drug and trial process is much quicker in China, so once its released to market there you can ship it to wherever you are.

I know how depressing this sh*t can get but what gives me hope is that there's a lot of treatments in the pipeline and will be much better than everything we currently have.

Kintor, Breezula, mRNA, Gene Editing Therapy, Turn Biotechnology and possibly David Sinclair ;)

Last edited:

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why? I was told by the doctor to do 3X a week since according to him the levels of DHT being suppressed is no that much of a difference. I just don't know if I'm going through a shed or if I'm actually losing more ground while on 3 mg a week as opposed to 7 mg a week.
The standard dose is 1mg daily, for the best results raise it to 1mg daily.

wishkid

My Regimen
Reaction score
check you T3 levels and prolactin, probably even you zinc, vit D and selenium