28yo Finasteride+minoxidil+dermarolling

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is nizoral everyday really a good choice though? It might just possibly dry out your scalp

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude just use an effing conditioner with it

I will continue with the nizoral, any good conditioner you can recommend? Oh and are my results simply due to minoxidil? If it weren't for bloated face and the feeling that my hair has thinned a bit on minoxidil applied areas i would continue it. But that is only 4 months i hear that like finasteride you should wait a year to see maximum results from minoxidil. I have stopped it regardless and wish i never started it.

Last edited:

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Since im not experiencing any sides from finasteride i was wondering if i should add dutasteride to my regime? can't do any harm reducing more DHT. Im determined to get as much hair as possible back and then get a transplant for the rest. I think i left it far too late to get it all back, i wish i had noticed how bad it was sooner :(

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will continue with the nizoral, any good conditioner you can recommend? Oh and are my results simply due to minoxidil? If it weren't for bloated face and the feeling that my hair has thinned a bit on minoxidil applied areas i would continue it. But that is only 4 months i hear that like finasteride you should wait a year to see maximum results from minoxidil. I have stopped it regardless.

Viviscal conditioner works for me.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
So nearly two months in to stopping minoxidil i haven't noticed a shed, is it still to come or have i dodged a bullet? I actually think i can see new hairs sprouting, it's hard to tell but i think so.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok i had a chance to look at the back of my head under strong sun light today and i definitely think im not doing so good. :( My crown is in really bad shape. I will just keep taking my finasteride and supplements and hope and pray im an amazing responder and can put this crappy stage of my life behind me.

Last edited:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
So nearly two months in to stopping minoxidil i haven't noticed a shed, is it still to come or have i dodged a bullet? I actually think i can see new hairs sprouting, it's hard to tell but i think so.
Trust me, I have been off and on minoxidil at least 10 times. All because of noticing the facial bloating which might be caused sometimes if my face rubs the pillow. If you are seeing new hair sprouting, its most like from minoxidil even if you quit. However, in a few months from now you will risk losing those hairs if they are indeed minoxidil dependent. I would recommend try to just use minoxidil once per day or every other day. Or just use half the suggested dosage and see how you do. This helped me alot. Your hair looks good dry but I can honestly see your concern if you put yourself in harsh lights. You still have enough density for hair fibers.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Trust me, I have been off and on minoxidil at least 10 times. All because of noticing the facial bloating which might be caused sometimes if my face rubs the pillow. If you are seeing new hair sprouting, its most like from minoxidil even if you quit. However, in a few months from now you will risk losing those hairs if they are indeed minoxidil dependent. I would recommend try to just use minoxidil once per day or every other day. Or just use half the suggested dosage and see how you do. This helped me alot. Your hair looks good dry but I can honestly see your concern if you put yourself in harsh lights. You still have enough density for hair fibers.

I have seen your posts before, you are very well informed so i ask this. Does the fact i started using minoxidil for a few months mean i will never see the full effects of finasteride? I have linked this a couple of time today but it makes me feel good about taking finasteride http://www.hairlossexperiences.com/view_topic.php?id=2318&forum_id=38 Even if im an amazing responder to finasteride like this guy is, does the fact that some hairs have become minoxidil dependant mean i will never see these sorts of results? I was only using minoxidil once at night after dermarolling, the sides are too much and i think my crown thinned while on it, i REALLY don't want to go back on it.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I have seen your posts before, you are very well informed so i ask this. Does the fact i started using minoxidil for a few months mean i will never see the full effects of finasteride? I have linked this a couple of time today but it makes me feel good about taking finasteride http://www.hairlossexperiences.com/view_topic.php?id=2318&forum_id=38 Even if im an amazing responder to finasteride like this guy is, does the fact that some hairs have become minoxidil dependant mean i will never see these sorts of results? I was only using minoxidil once at night after dermarolling, the sides are too much and i think my crown thinned while on it, i REALLY don't want to go back on it.
Finasteride and minoxidil have two different functions with hair loss. One blocks DHT while the other is a growth stimulant. The two work synergistically to stimulate growth and help reverse miniaturization of existing hairs. If you just use minoxidil, you will only stimulate growth but your balding process will continue but at a much slower rate depending on how you respond to it. Most respond fairly well but with finasteride for some reason you get even a better response. If you quit minoxidil, you will still keep those hairs still saved by finasteride but maybe for not as long as you could with minoxidil. Your outcome is always better with both but if you have to chose, finasteride would be the best choice only because it blocks DHT. Most people are never lucky enough to respond to finasteride like your example. However it happens. It seems to happen in cases with people who have more loss than you do. Just remember the less loss you have to recover, the harder it will be to notice major recovery. I know for a fact that with minoxidil and finasteride I respond better using both at the same time. I was always a poor finsteride responder but I use other treatments that are experimental from Dr Proctor. I am not going to advise that direction of treatment for you as its too expensive and you need to research for yourself if you are curious.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride and minoxidil have two different functions with hair loss. One blocks DHT while the other is a growth stimulant. The two work synergistically to stimulate growth and help reverse miniaturization of existing hairs. If you just use minoxidil, you will only stimulate growth but your balding process will continue but at a much slower rate depending on how you respond to it. Most respond fairly well but with finasteride for some reason you get even a better response. If you quit minoxidil, you will still keep those hairs still saved by finasteride but maybe for not as long as you could with minoxidil. Your outcome is always better with both but if you have to chose, finasteride would be the best choice only because it blocks DHT. Most people are never lucky enough to respond to finasteride like your example. However it happens. It seems to happen in cases with people who have more loss than you do. Just remember the less loss you have to recover, the harder it will be to notice major recovery. I know for a fact that with minoxidil and finasteride I respond better using both at the same time. I was always a poor finsteride responder but I use other treatments that are experimental from Dr Proctor. I am not going to advise that direction of treatment for you as its too expensive and you need to research for yourself if you are curious.

Thank you for your response. Im just going to stick it out with finasteride itself and pray that im a good responder, it has only been 5 months now. I will update the thread with pics at the 9 month mark and hopefully i will have seen some change. Right now my crown looks really bad. Thanks again.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is an update, been off minoxidil since april, i feel like there are new hairs growing in but im not sure if it's finasteride, i can see sparse hairs but no density. The pic isn't that good, in the mirror my baldness looks much worse than shown. I have intentionally combed my hair to expose the bald spots instead of covering up like i usually do. https://i.imgur.com/LkPkHVY.jpg

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
bad news, top of my head is now thinning. I can sorta hide it when it's dry, but when wet or styled with wax it's noticeable. Is this a shed or is the finasteride not strong enough to stop my male pattern baldness? i have been taking it since January, could it also be related to stopping minoxidil in April? i know some goes systematic, i was dermarolling on damp hair so im sure alot was going systematic. Really thinking of switching to dutasteride or something. Any help?

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
bad news, top of my head is now thinning. I can sorta hide it when it's dry, but when wet or styled with wax it's noticeable. Is this a shed or is the finasteride not strong enough to stop my male pattern baldness? i have been taking it since January, could it also be related to stopping minoxidil in April? i know some goes systematic, i was dermarolling on damp hair so im sure alot was going systematic. Really thinking of switching to dutasteride or something. Any help?

Switch to a dermastamp and add in ketacozonole

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
f*** it, im switching to dutasteride, im definitely going backwards, finasteride isn't even maintaining. I also start 2.5mg oral minoxidil in a few days, i chose that over foam/liquid so i know exactly how much is going to go systematic, plus it's now a much larger area of ym head i would need to apply to... i don't care about dark circles under my eyes, i can treat that easily but potential bloated face has me worried. I plan on taking 0.5mg dutasteride and 1mg finasteride daily, how long should i continue taking finasteride for until i can drop it completely? Im also wounding using dermaroller once a week. I'll get pics up soon.

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
Just to update, been having major problems with my libido, so bad now that i can't even ejaculate properly. Going to try cutting the dose down to 0.5mg and see if that helps, no mental side effects noted.Ok from what i have read reducing to 0.5mg won't reduce side effects, so i will just continue onwards and hope the problem fixes itself.
Reducing to .5 does reduce sides, at least for me.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Reducing to .5 does reduce sides, at least for me.

No, it was other meds i was taking that was responsible for that. Im fine with 1mg finasteride, libido is weaker, can't get it up just with thoughts or anything, needs manual stimulation but that doesn't bother me, i can still get an erection when needed, that's the important thing. As for dutasteride, i think i will leave it to februrary now. Read a few reports of serious shedding in between the 6-9 month mark with finasteride which grew back stronger. And ive decided to just use 1.25mg of oral minoxidil instead of 2.5mg.