24 year old with agressive male pattern baldness - Norwood 2.5 - looking for advice or help? - WITH PICTURES

thedarkcolor

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a 24 year old who's has long hair all my life. I started losing my hair when I was 18 or so probably, but I was in denial for quite some time and the problem was never really addressed. Back in March of this year, I finally went to my doctor and got a prescription for 5 mg generic finasteride which I cut into 4ths because the hairloss was getting pretty bad. I got ball-ache really badly the first 3 days I took it and waited a week for the drug to leave my system after those three initial days of 1.25mg. After I waited a week, I began dosing at .625mg per day for about 4-5 days and still got ball ache badly.

After I quit cold turky after those last 4 days of cutting the pull into 8ths, I developed full blown PFS, all the symptoms which lasted for almost a month. You can check my post history for my posts of when I was dealing with this. It feels like a different life time to me. So insane. Extreme anxiety (two ER trips), depression, pains in my chest/boob area, ED, everything. It was an absolute nightmare and I thought to myself "Oh fvck, I've messed my life up over hairloss. My hormones and body are damaged and I'll never be the same."

Well after a month and a half, I recovered 100%. Then in July, I started trying Saw Palmetto and taking that, like mega-dosing for hairloss. I tried it for about a month and nothing really happened. There were a few days where I felt brainfog and mild gyno type pains and testicle uncomfort, which at first I thought was related to this. Who knows, maybe it was? But I also work a lot and so it could have been stress or my diet, yadda yadda... Anyways, those have resolved.

I was kind of hoping my hairloss would just stop and I'd be able to keep my long hair with receded temples. I work in the music industry, but I do accounting type work and work with numbers and money and sales....but I see dudes like this all the time with really long hair and Norwood 2 temple recession. Mines like a foot and a half long and it's always been part of my personality, look, etc. Well, it kind of accelerated this year after all of the above mentioned stuff and my temples are gone. I'm nearing Norwood 3 maybe event 3.5 territory I'd say. The recession is uneven on both sides and my crown is thinning. I also have that itch. Oh my god that itch. No amount of Nizoral, Tea Tree Oil, Castor Oil, Appel Cider Vinegar, will get rid of this male pattern baldness itch.

Anyways, to cut to the chase. I've recently (past 3 days) began taking Saw Palmetto, Pumpkin Seed Extract, and Green Tea Extract but there are moments when I think "Who am I kidding? This won't help." I have an appointment with my doctor who is also a dermatologist next Monday, and I'm thinking about asking to try finasteride again. Is this a death sentence? I've tried it before, got baaaad bad sides. But I'm so devastated to be losing my hair. I can't let this go. I've thought maybe I could do the Iron & Wine hairstyle: http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/IRONANDWINE-FOLKFEST-MT_15810279.JPG

I've attached some photos of me currently, and here's a few photos from several years ago when I had little to no signs of hair loss: http://imgur.com/a/kNfjX#Gktla7h

What should I do?! I'm losing sleep over this. Do I get back on finasteride and try again at an even lower dose? Do I say fvck it and try a short hair style? Keep in mind my hair hasn't been short since i was My temples are gone and my forelock is so thin any kind of hair style would look stupid I think. Can someone recommend a hair style? I'm 24 years old and hairloss and balding is soooooo fvcked. I hate it so much. I know that hair isn't supposed to define an individual but for someone in their early 20's this is absolutely devastating.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read everyone.

Attachments

• 1CiqMqY.jpg
    1CiqMqY.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 4,177
  • 3zTGxkL.jpg
    3zTGxkL.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 3,313
  • G95S951.jpg
    G95S951.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 2,781
  • gVqqXYL.jpg
    gVqqXYL.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 4,697
  • IPx2RXn.jpg
    IPx2RXn.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 7,662
  • j4wUruZ.jpg
    j4wUruZ.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 3,239
  • nmdrqvx.jpg
    nmdrqvx.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 3,565
  • tgbyS7s.jpg
    tgbyS7s.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 3,594

thedarkcolor

Reaction score
I should also mention that when I was younger I had really, really bad acne. I have no photos, but I had extremely bad acne for years until my dermatologist recommended a 10% benzoyl peroxide face wash called PanOxyl which I've used religiously for about 8 years now. Even now I feel like I have a pretty high susceptibility to it, if I eat fast food chances are I'll have a huge pimple on my nose, earlobe, or cheek by the end of the night. I have to use those Clean & Clear oil sheets at least 5 to 6 times a day because my face gets so oily. It's just always been that way. About an hour or two after I've showered my scalp and face are oily again and it looks like I'm sweating. Before I started using those oil removing sheets, co-workers would ask if it was too hot in the building because they thought I was sweating.

I've always had facial hair and an enormous about of body hair. My beard began to grow when I was probably a sophomore in highschool.

Lastly, regarding genetics.... I've never met my father before, but I've been able to find photos of him online and he has a full head of hair.

On my mother's side, her father (my grandfather) had receded temples but that's it. NW2 at worst and he passed away at 69 with that much hair. No grey either. Aside from that, I have no males in my family on my mom's side. My mother has one sister, who has two daughters. The only males I can trace are my father:

10778804.jpg

I've been able to find photos of him online. See above....

So, if my broscience is correct- I've probably always had a lot of DHT due to acne, oil, early facial/body hair.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
If you think the sides you had were psychosomatic, then I would say give it another try at a much smaller dose maybe EOD. If the sides were real, then you are pretty much screwed.

Aesthetic

Established Member
Reaction score
mirrin that beard its thick as fuk mate

yeah gotta try finasteride again bro thats all u can do, hairloss sucks

thedarkcolor

Reaction score
If you think the sides you had were psychosomatic, then I would say give it another try at a much smaller dose maybe EOD. If the sides were real, then you are pretty much screwed.

Oh they were very real side effects. Like I said, ball ache, and then once I stopped brainfog, gyno pains, fatigue, anxiety, insomnia, emotional blunting. It was so insanely scary.

Thing is- I'm very tempted to try again at a lower dose and possibly with a different brand. But what happens if I take one pill and all that happens again? I'm so afraid of going through that hell once more. But my hairloss has accelerated so much this year I'll have to shave it by the time I'm 26 if I don't act fast. Where it's at right now is probably the last phase I could start treatment (and say I only maintain) where it would be okay. Anything else and it'll be too late.

- - - Updated - - -

mirrin that beard its thick as fuk mate

yeah gotta try finasteride again bro thats all u can do, hairloss sucks

Thanks! At least I do have the ability to grow a huge *** mountain man beard. I had just trimmed it down prior to taking the photos for this post. It was much thicker/larger.

Any advice? Do you use finasteride? Have you had sides! Thanks again man.

frenchy

Established Member
Reaction score
cut you hair, your male pattern baldness will be less visible (srs)
you can try finasteride at 0.25mg twice or three times per week maybe

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a similar hairline. Cut it short as the guy above says, less noticeable. I even had it short but spiked up - this way I wasn't doing a dodgy comb over but it still looked neat and showed confidence - no issues with attention from girls if that's any help. Now I do it a little longer and combed down as one side has gone further back. But your is way too long for this type of pattern of loss imo. Get medium on top at the barbers.

Maybe Minoxidil can buy you a few years but you will go bald if just on this, especially as you're only 24. I am almost 29. Also think about topical DHT inhibitors - not as effective as finasteride sadly.

I've started finasteride this week, had ball ache, no other probs, ball ache is getting less. Morning erection is strong and that's the most important measure for me personally.

I wouldn't worry about how much DHT you have - all males have a lot. It's just that our receptors near hair follicles are sensitive to it. It's difficult to look at relatives and determine your future loss - not accurate.

Hope I have helped a bit. Good you have recovered - I am not surprised though.

hairyhenry

Reaction score
Man, I rocked longish hair for a good chunk of my life. It was hard accepting that the last time I cut it is probably the last time I will ever be able to grow it out long again. I think you should cut it short too. You've got awesome facial hair which compensates somewhat for the hair loss.

thedarkcolor

Reaction score
I have a similar hairline. Cut it short as the guy above says, less noticeable. I even had it short but spiked up - this way I wasn't doing a dodgy comb over but it still looked neat and showed confidence - no issues with attention from girls if that's any help. Now I do it a little longer and combed down as one side has gone further back. But your is way too long for this type of pattern of loss imo. Get medium on top at the barbers.

Maybe Minoxidil can buy you a few years but you will go bald if just on this, especially as you're only 24. I am almost 29. Also think about topical DHT inhibitors - not as effective as finasteride sadly.

I've started finasteride this week, had ball ache, no other probs, ball ache is getting less. Morning erection is strong and that's the most important measure for me personally.

I wouldn't worry about how much DHT you have - all males have a lot. It's just that our receptors near hair follicles are sensitive to it. It's difficult to look at relatives and determine your future loss - not accurate.

Hope I have helped a bit. Good you have recovered - I am not surprised though.

This is a lot of help, thanks for your response. Would you happen to have any reference photos of what type of hairstyle you're speaking of when you say "medium on top?" I don't really go to barbers and so I don't even know what to ask for, haha. "Hey I'm balding and losing hair in my temples can you make me look not stupid?" Hopefully your treatment goes well. Keep me updated on your progress. Are you taking 5 mg proscar and cutting it or did you get a prescription for 1 mg finasteride? Did you just go straight in and begin taking the dose or are you planning on tapering up to a certain dose?

I'm not trying to be a finasteride fear monger or hate on it, but after going through really bad side effects and feeling that different, I sometimes wonder how safe it is to take this drug long term (10+ years) or so, you know?

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a lot of help, thanks for your response. Would you happen to have any reference photos of what type of hairstyle you're speaking of when you say "medium on top?" I don't really go to barbers and so I don't even know what to ask for, haha. "Hey I'm balding and losing hair in my temples can you make me look not stupid?" Hopefully your treatment goes well. Keep me updated on your progress. Are you taking 5 mg proscar and cutting it or did you get a prescription for 1 mg finasteride? Did you just go straight in and begin taking the dose or are you planning on tapering up to a certain dose?

I'm not trying to be a finasteride fear monger or hate on it, but after going through really bad side effects and feeling that different, I sometimes wonder how safe it is to take this drug long term (10+ years) or so, you know?

I googled some quick pictures. I know the hair loss pattern might not be the same as yours, but you get the idea. Have a play around and see what suits your face and current hair situation. Depends if the rest of your hair behind the hairline is thick, mine is which helps.

jude-law-fauxhawk.jpg

haircut-for-receding-hairline.jpg

Male-Celebrity-Haircuts-for-Receding-Hairline-Patrick-Wilson.jpg

Best-Hairstyles-for-Receding-Hairline-Ewan-McGregor.jpg

You can just buzz it all and keep it on grade 1-3.

Barbers in my experience are poor with advice unlike going to a proper hairdresser so you might have to experiment yourself or go to a more upmarket place.

It's best to have a routine so your body adapts to the Finasteride. I plan on taking it 3 times a week but every other day is very good to which you have not yet attempted. But some of your sides are quite worrying so I am not sure what to say dude.

It's a safe drug, plenty of worse drugs out there - but a small % do get sides and if you were having issues in the breast area and ED it's worrying. Did you get ED watching p**rn? Morning erections?

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Jude Law pulls off the NW3 pretty damn good, but he is most likely paying top dollar for haircuts and stylists. He isn't paying $10.95 at Great Clips like I am haha.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Jude Law pulls off the NW3 pretty damn good, but he is most likely paying top dollar for haircuts and stylists. He isn't paying $10.95 at Great Clips like I am haha.

LMAO! I go to a cheapish place as well but you can still style it. Helps if it suits your face e.t.c. I get you though, celebs in a different league to us mere mortals.

There was a time Jude Law was Norwood 3 and still spiking it back, he still pulled it off.

Tbh I haven't found my Norwood 2-3 an issue at all with girls, they barely notice it. Reason I am on finasteride now is any worse and it WILL be noticeable especially as the crown has just begun to thin a touch.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Yeah you can still pull off a pretty good hairstyle with a NW2-3, and most will not consider you bald since the coverage is still pretty good.

I am getting close to 1.5 years on treatment. Once I get there I plan on growing my hair out a bit and seeing what I have to work with. At that point I will decide how to want to proceed: grow it longer and try different style, keep it buzzed, transplant...

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with you. What Norwood are you btw and how have things improved on finasteride the past year? I do have some faint unrealistic hope that finasteride will improve the hairline even if's a cm. That would help loads!

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I agree with you. What Norwood are you btw and how have things improved on finasteride the past year? I do have some faint unrealistic hope that finasteride will improve the hairline even if's a cm. That would help loads!

I would say I am a NW3 with a thin crown(not sure if that is a NW3v or 3A?): you can check out what is looks like in my thread here:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/80812-Notcoolanymore-My-Hair-Loss-Story

Under harsh lighting my crown looks worse than in the pics. I would say that I did have some hair line regrowth, but nothing spectacular.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Big improvement bro overall, looks like you just got it at a crucial time. Like you, I did bugger all with my hair loss for a while. I was like 24 and left it till 29 - carried on receding very slowly but surely. In a way though I was liberated then, not bothered by hair loss.

I would say if you can grow out the crown it might even be 3A. Currently looks 3V in that picture imo.

Also it's difficult to know if that's minoxidil gains or finasteride.

Good to know your ball ache went in a few weeks, I heard it's a transient symptom and not a side effect as such. I am in my first week and it's mild but still here - I take finasteride 3 times per week.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Big improvement bro overall, looks like you just got it at a crucial time. Like you, I did bugger all with my hair loss for a while. I was like 24 and left it till 29 - carried on receding very slowly but surely. In a way though I was liberated then, not bothered by hair loss.

I would say if you can grow out the crown it might even be 3A. Currently looks 3V in that picture imo.

Also it's difficult to know if that's minoxidil gains or finasteride.

Good to know your ball ache went in a few weeks, I heard it's a transient symptom and not a side effect as such. I am in my first week and it's mild but still here - I take finasteride 3 times per week.

Yeah it's am improvement, but I still caught it way too late. But with that being said, I will take the coverage that I have over slick bald any day of the week. You are right about the question whether or not the gains are from finasteride or minoxidil, I am pretty much stuck taking both. The ball ache IIRC I had off and on for about a month, maybe longer, now nothing, I started with the full 1mg dose, taking it every day.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm I may need to take it more often so the body adapts, see how it goes. Don't forget that finasteride can keep getting better and better unlike minoxidil. People have new growth 2-5 years so this isn't the end picture imo.

I have 6 months liquid minoxidil I bought as back up in case of finasteride sides. My dad has been slick bald for like 20 years, closer look at it today and I see quite a lot of miniaturized hairs. Trying to convince him to try Minoxidil just for fun! Everyone from my Mum's side has full hair, so annoying!

californiaoceans911

Established Member
Reaction score
I also second the vote to cut your hair short. It seems like you have a nicely shaped head, and with a well kept beard you're probably a really attractive dude. Don't worry about it too much. Stress compounds stress. If Finasteride was too much on your body, you can do ketoconazole shampoo 2-3 times a week and rogaine. But first cut your hair short and trim that beard a bit and see what you think. Actually **** what you think because people are way too hard on themselves. Ask some girls that are your friends lol.