23 Years Old- Fixed My Hair Struggle- My Experience | HairLossTalk Forums

23 Years Old- Fixed My Hair Struggle- My Experience

Discussion in 'Hair Replacement Systems and Hair Pieces for Men' started by n1zza77, Feb 16, 2018.

1. n1zza77

n1zza77 New Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hey guys,

Quick Context-
    Always hated my hair- even lead to depressive moods- it was curly with a receding hairline ever since I could remember. I waited until I was noticing the thinning and could no longer could cover it up with Topik (which I used for merely 2 months). I wanted a good transition (work in corporate) and therefore, I started the process before people really noticed my thinning hair. I also have seborrheic dermatitis, read about it but it sucks, even for system wearers.

First off, huge thanks to Noah. Incredible support and help. Also, this site really helped out with everyone sharing their tips and tricks.

So here is the beginning. I've been trying to push myself to do this for 2 years now. My hair was nowhere near balding and only I could really notice it but I knew that once someone noticed it, the transition would be incredibly hard to pass by other people. The main reason I didn't was because I could hide my receding hairline really well and I did not want to get rid of something that wasn't broken, plus being afraid of maintenance and buzzing my hair underneath.
    Once I saw a big change in my hair density, I pulled the trigger, ordered a stock piece and began looking for a place to do a cut in. ATTENTION- Price does not equal quality. DONT go to a place that does hair systems for an older crowd. I ended up paying 450 since I could not find anyone else to do it. Huge waste of money as they butchered the shit out of my hair. The French Lace underneath had the most asymmetrical shape and even the buzzed area was not even. Next the glue she used didn't work and she applied it way too soon to where it was still wet. Was coming off 30 min later. Plus it was really hard to argue when you don't know much about it and the person doing has a salon specifically for it. It was a nightmare and honestly depressing. It looked like a mop on my head, she colored the hair wrong too) But you don't give up, find a solution to your problems.

I began to work on it myself. Took it off, bought the correct supplies, and corrected the cut in (an actual oval). Found my hair color, and dyed it. Even got my mom to help me out. Also, I went to my regular barber who gave me a wonderful fade on the sides and even cut the hair system himself (not the lace but the actual hair) which gave me a nice style. The difference was immense! The piece looked really good that it really changed the way I look; much younger now.

Went to work the next day and everyone assumed I got a haircut. The huge issue with my real hair is that it is curly and impossible to tame. It is all over the place so once I came in with an actual style, everyone just assumed I got a good haircut; which is what I ended up telling all of them if they asked. Even my VP, in front of our whole team, in the beginning of our meeting said "before we start, can we admire ____ new haircut"

So far I am loving it, I look better, I am happy, less stressed, much more confident, and everyone looks different at me; probably because of the previously mentioned attributes.
    If you care about money, piece costing around 500-600 a year with supplies, then think of it objectively. Don't go out as much, cook at home, just save. 50/month is not bad.

As far as maintenance, 2-10 min every morning depending on if the hairline needs a redo. And an hour or so every week to reapply. For those that think thats a lot, I was spending 20 min a day trying to cover up my s h i t t y hair, just to make it look semi ok.

Overall the experience is great, its not rocket science, you can do a lot of things yourself.

As for newbies, you have to ask yourself how much this means to you. I value my happiness and stress above all else. I work a stressful job with crazy hours and I try to mitigate my stress as much as possible. Hair is something I've been struggling my whole life and spending 50/month really doesn't compare to me doubting myself and saving the money instead.

If anyone needs help or have any questions, please ask away. I will try to update this thread from time to time.

BaldBearded likes this.
  2. buckthorn

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
  3. Noah

Noah Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Really nice story to hear Nizza, and kudos for persevering despite the rocky start. Not enough guys who have made this work come back and tell the story. Really delighted for ya.

n1zza77 likes this.
  4. BaldBearded

BaldBearded Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Thanks for sharing, would you be willing to share before/after pics (if even privately)?

BB