23 - Been On finasteride 4 Years, Slightly Concerned Now. Thoughts?

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
5mg of oral minoxidil is alot, i have seen very good success stories with just 0.6mg. Im starting 1.25mg at night today, can't cut it any smaller really. But if i could get my hands on 2.5mg tablets i would quarter them and use that.

Same. I’d like smaller dosage options too. Why take 5mg oral minoxidil daily if people are getting success with 0.6mg?

Unfortunately, the lowest dosage (UK wise) possible seems to be 1.25 mg (quartering 5mg tablets).

In the states and oz you can get a prescription and get it compounded to as low as 0.25mg (which people have seen results with).

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Same. I’d like smaller dosage options too. Why take 5mg oral minoxidil daily if people are getting success with 0.6mg?

Unfortunately, the lowest dosage (UK wise) possible seems to be 1.25 mg (quartering 5mg tablets).

In the states and oz you can get a prescription and get it compounded to as low as 0.25mg (which people have seen results with).

Well im taking 5mg at night and tolerating it much better than foam, no idea why, but i am, no more puffy face. Im shedding a crazy amount though...when i say crazy, i really mean crazy.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well im taking 5mg at night and tolerating it much better than foam, no idea why, but i am, no more puffy face. Im shedding a crazy amount though...when i say crazy, i really mean crazy.

Looks like it’s working for you then.

ljb118

Reaction score
Remaining results have now come in.

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 16.53.54.png

@Retinoid

I'm definitely miniaturising on top all over, however pretty much zero change in my frontal hairline over the last 4 years.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Remaining results have now come in.

View attachment 100297
@Retinoid

I'm definitely miniaturising on top all over, however pretty much zero change in my frontal hairline over the last 4 years.

As expected the shbg is high so your actual testosterone level is not high. Even if the total level is. This is common with Finasteride users as DHT seems to decrease SHBG and your DHT levels are relatively low.

In terms of the hair loss I would focus on hair growth stimulation. I would start Minoxidil and as an option add a Minoxidil+Finasteride mix OR a specialized Minoxidil like Lipogaine. At this stage it is optional as you should benefit from straight Minoxidil too. Since it is mainly on the crown and top, this is where Minoxidil shines and may be enough for you to get a lot more density.

I would start small before moving to other things like LLLT, PRP, topical anti-androgens and oral Minoxidil or other prostaglandin activators. If topical Minoxidil does not give you good results over the next 6 months I would move to a Minoxidil+Finasteride mix.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
As expected the shbg is high so your actual testosterone level is not high. Even if the total level is. This is common with Finasteride users as DHT seems to decrease SHBG and your DHT levels are relatively low.
Wouldn't the free T make up for it?

ljb118

Reaction score

In terms of the hair loss I would focus on hair growth stimulation. I would start Minoxidil and as an option add a Minoxidil+Finasteride mix OR a specialized Minoxidil like Lipogaine. At this stage it is optional as you should benefit from straight Minoxidil too. Since it is mainly on the crown and top, this is where Minoxidil shines and may be enough for you to get a lot more density.

I would start small before moving to other things like LLLT, PRP, topical anti-androgens and oral Minoxidil or other prostaglandin activators. If topical Minoxidil does not give you good results over the next 6 months I would move to a Minoxidil+Finasteride mix.

Thanks.

Do you mean a lower DHT tends to increase SHBG?

I had already decided a day or two ago that I’d start with topical minoxidil. After continuous research into oral minoxidil I’m not sold on how little field reports there are. Glad to hear your route of action is in line too.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks.

Do you mean a lower DHT tends to increase SHBG?

I had already decided a day or two ago that I’d start with topical minoxidil. After continuous research into oral minoxidil I’m not sold on how little field reports there are. Glad to hear your route of action is in line too.

Yes lower DHT leads to higher shbg.

Your thinning is not as bad as you think it is. Topical Minoxidil is the logical next step and most likely will be enough to see improvement. You can look into other things later. It is not uncommon for Finasteride alone to not be enough for everyone forever. I would caution starting things like Duasteride because there really is not ENOUGH research done for hair loss. Hopefully things like Breezula will be approved in the coming years to add to our toolbox.

ljb118

Reaction score
Yes lower DHT leads to higher shbg.

Your thinning is not as bad as you think it is. Topical Minoxidil is the logical next step and most likely will be enough to see improvement. You can look into other things later. It is not uncommon for Finasteride alone to not be enough for everyone forever. I would caution starting things like Duasteride because there really is not ENOUGH research done for hair loss. Hopefully things like Breezula will be approved in the coming years to add to our toolbox.

Completely agree. My mantra has always been to do as little as possible (in terms of different treatments and the amount of each) in order to maintain/regrow if necessary. I'd prefer to pump my body with as little chemicals as possible. I don't think my thinning is that bad, despite the initial shock. Had I been a little more attentive I would have noticed it 6-12 months earlier and added minoxidil then but such is life. I'm patiently optimistic about new treatments on the horizon, whether they are one year or a few years out - my goal is to maintain around this level until then. Dutasteride, and other stronger AA's will be a last resort. Thanks again for the attention here, it's appreciated.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your blood tests looks EXACTLY The same as mine!

Thats creepy, i am nearly 23 too!

Also about 3 years on and off.

ljb118

Reaction score
Your blood tests looks EXACTLY The same as mine!

Thats creepy, i am nearly 23 too!

Also about 3 years on and off.

Weird!

How is your progress with hair loss, what are you currently taking to combat?

Re the labs - I’m actually looking to lower my E2 by around 30%. I’ll be consulting with an endo soon to see what can be done because I have, and have had some low-T symptoms despite my T levels appearing extremely healthy. Not sure if you’ve experienced anything similar?

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Weird!

How is your progress with hair loss, what are you currently taking to combat?

Re the labs - I’m actually looking to lower my E2 by around 30%. I’ll be consulting with an endo soon to see what can be done because I have, and have had some low-T symptoms despite my T levels appearing extremely healthy. Not sure if you’ve experienced anything similar?

Lotion 1x 1ml x 1 day = Minoxidil 10% , Topical Dutasteride 0,1% , Adenosine 1% , Azelaic acid 5%
and Finasteride pill 1,25mg Every day
Dermaroller 1,5mm
Nizoral

I was off 3 months from regimen this summer. And i lost too much. But it works very well. I am NW3 + Diffuse to NW6 Pattern. But within 2 months like always i am gonna get back density and i will regrow to NW2.5 status, ah yeah, when i am going out somewhere i just put some of topik to temples and i got NW2 look. So yeah, not that bad but fight is about to draw.

Or... Ill just jump on Dutasteride xD