23 - Been On finasteride 4 Years, Slightly Concerned Now. Thoughts?

ljb118

Reaction score
I noticed I was losing hair when I was around 17. My crown had always been thin but when I started shedding around the time I turned 19 I decided to bite the bullet and hop on finasteride. I didn't want to torture myself over the idea of losing all my hair... I had other things I wanted to focus on over the next couple years.

Anyway, I'm about 4 years into being on finasteride and up-to-now all has been good. I've experienced little sides and I feel like it pretty much stopped my hair loss dead in its tracks.

I suffered from seb derm quite badly when I was 18/19. I feel like it kicked off the hair loss in retrospect, fortunately I've been able to get it under control and its no longer an issue.

Fast forward to current day: I'm getting concerned that my hair loss is accelerating in a diffuse manner.

I received my first 'you're losing hair' comment recently, in fact, from two people. Firstly from a barber, who said I'm thinning on top and 'I probably have 10 years' (actually appreciated the honesty here). Secondly from a friend, whilst my (longish) hair was soaking wet after coming out of the sea.

Naturally this got me a little anxious. It didn't help that I've been shedding a fair bit recently. Because my longer hair was starting to piss me off, and I was getting tired of finding hairs everywhere, I decided to get it cut short last week.

Ahh. Felt good. Until today. I decided to check out how my hair was doing (its become a little habit of mine). I inspect with my phone's selfie camera and a mirror. I could see parts of my scalp on top of my hair... Which I've never seen before when my hair is fully dry!

I ended up taking loads of pictures and have got to say it looks like diffuse thinning, thus I'm quite concerned on what steps to take here. I've attached some of the pics, from different angles, lighting, flash/no flash (it looks terribly bad with flash on my iPhone camera).

I feel like my temples and hairline have barely receded if at all. Just losing hair at the crown and on top. But I'm an open book. What do you think of my situation here? How severe is this, in your opinion?

To recap:

- Currently on finasteride & using nizoral once a week to control my SD.
- finasteride has been working nicely for 4 years, with little sides
- Feel like hairloss is getting more aggressive and diffuse thinning on top

DSC_0402.jpg DSC_0411.jpg DSC_0412-2.jpg DSC_0412.JPG IMG_0458.jpg IMG_0460.jpg IMG_0465.jpg IMG_0467.jpg

GreekGod

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well you are obviously diffuse thinning, but it's not that bad. People aren't going to look at you and think you're balding. If you show us some pictures from before you started finasteride we can see if your hair loss is too aggressive to be frozen by finasteride. Your only options if the finasteride isn't working are to use dutasteride, rogaine, or get a hair transplant. Also tell us your finasteride dosage, maybe you can just up the dosage and use rogaine.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
What is your family history of balding?

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes please confirm your dosage and frequency of dose and any brand changes that you had?

Do you have pictures of your hair through using Finasteride?

You can start using Duasteride twice a week, using topical Minoxidil/Finasteride, using low dose oral Minoxidil, using LLLT (like iRestore). Check your hormone levels T, DHT, LH, FSH, E2, Progesterone and Thyroid panel.

ljb118

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses all!

Well you are obviously diffuse thinning, but it's not that bad. People aren't going to look at you and think you're balding. If you show us some pictures from before you started finasteride we can see if your hair loss is too aggressive to be frozen by finasteride. Your only options if the finasteride isn't working are to use dutasteride, rogaine, or get a hair transplant. Also tell us your finasteride dosage, maybe you can just up the dosage and use rogaine.

I can't find a before picture that is suitable enough to show what my hair looked like pre-finasteride. It was thick (still is pretty thick), yet the crown was a bit thin looking (which I think is partly down to the shape of my crown hairline).

My dosage of finasteride is 1mg a day.

What is your family history of balding?

My father is bald. His brother has a full head of hair. I believe my paternal grandfather lost his hair but can't confirm.

On my mother's side, most of the men in the family have/had full heads of hair.

Yes please confirm your dosage and frequency of dose and any brand changes that you had?

Do you have pictures of your hair through using Finasteride?

You can start using Duasteride twice a week, using topical Minoxidil/Finasteride, using low dose oral Minoxidil, using LLLT (like iRestore). Check your hormone levels T, DHT, LH, FSH, E2, Progesterone and Thyroid panel.

Dosage: 1mg/day, I've been using Proscar the whole time, though it has varied from which country it was manufactured for (always ordered from inhouse, though).

I don't have any pictures taking over my time with finasteride. I regret that now. Honestly, it's something I was able to put behind me over these last few years and rarely think about which has been great. Until now!

I've been looking into oral minoxidil a fair bit. I think this might be a suitable option for me. One of the reasons I was weary about using topical minoxidil is because I travel round a lot and have quite an active lifestyle and I would struggle to stay consistent with it (and I'm aware that's crucial). Not to say if it came down to it I wouldn't figure it out, but taking a pill in the morning makes things 100x easier. I am a little concerned about the potential health hazard, although I am tempted to start on a very small dosage and gradually work my way up if I experience little sides.

I am going to get my hormones tested ASAP.

You've noted a fair few options, of which I am aware of all (aside from the LLLT which is pretty neat!) Would you advise adding just one to my routine and testing it out for a good amount of time, or would you say the stage I'm at now requires multiple new solutions/methods to be added all at once?

thetdog666

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i would be looking into giving dutasteride a go. i am one week in after being on finasteride for over 2 years after noticing temples slowly going back

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses all!

I can't find a before picture that is suitable enough to show what my hair looked like pre-finasteride. It was thick (still is pretty thick), yet the crown was a bit thin looking (which I think is partly down to the shape of my crown hairline).

My dosage of finasteride is 1mg a day.

My father is bald. His brother has a full head of hair. I believe my paternal grandfather lost his hair but can't confirm.

On my mother's side, most of the men in the family have/had full heads of hair.

Dosage: 1mg/day, I've been using Proscar the whole time, though it has varied from which country it was manufactured for (always ordered from inhouse, though).

I don't have any pictures taking over my time with finasteride. I regret that now. Honestly, it's something I was able to put behind me over these last few years and rarely think about which has been great. Until now!

I've been looking into oral minoxidil a fair bit. I think this might be a suitable option for me. One of the reasons I was weary about using topical minoxidil is because I travel round a lot and have quite an active lifestyle and I would struggle to stay consistent with it (and I'm aware that's crucial). Not to say if it came down to it I wouldn't figure it out, but taking a pill in the morning makes things 100x easier. I am a little concerned about the potential health hazard, although I am tempted to start on a very small dosage and gradually work my way up if I experience little sides.

I am going to get my hormones tested ASAP.

You've noted a fair few options, of which I am aware of all (aside from the LLLT which is pretty neat!) Would you advise adding just one to my routine and testing it out for a good amount of time, or would you say the stage I'm at now requires multiple new solutions/methods to be added all at once?

If I were you and a topical is a no go, I would use oral Minoxidil. 5mg/day split in two. Try this for three months and then reevaluate (take monthly photos). If this does not work taking half a Proscar tablet (2.5mg/day) has helped SOME people or adding Duasteride twice/week to the mix has helped.

ljb118

Reaction score
If I were you and a topical is a no go, I would use oral Minoxidil. 5mg/day split in two. Try this for three months and then reevaluate (take monthly photos). If this does not work taking half a Proscar tablet (2.5mg/day) has helped SOME people or adding Duasteride twice/week to the mix has helped.

Your advice is much appreciated!

ljb118

Reaction score
Got (some) of my hormones tested earlier today as advised by @Retinoid.

Just received the results by email and... I'm a bit surprised. To be exact, I was able to test my T, Prolactin, FSH and LH (options are fairly restricted nearby but I will get the others tested soon).

I've always struggled with putting on any kind of body mass, I have literally zero body and facial hair, and experience fatigue quite often. I just assumed my results would come back showing I have low testosterone.

However they came back quite the opposite which has me stumped.

FSH: 3.8 mIU/mL -- (Reference range 1.5 - 12.4)

LH: 6.9 mIU/mL -- (Reference range 1.7 - 8.6)

Prolactin: 253.1 mIU/L -- (Reference range 98 - 456)

Testosterone: High 31.3 nmol/L -- (Reference range 9.9 - 27.8) ----- [31.3nmol/L = 902 ng/dL]

Next step is to get the other hormones tested ASAP. Any input on the above would be great.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Got (some) of my hormones tested earlier today as advised by @Retinoid.

Just received the results by email and... I'm a bit surprised. To be exact, I was able to test my T, Prolactin, FSH and LH (options are fairly restricted nearby but I will get the others tested soon).

I've always struggled with putting on any kind of body mass, I have literally zero body and facial hair, and experience fatigue quite often. I just assumed my results would come back showing I have low testosterone.

However they came back quite the opposite which has me stumped.

FSH: 3.8 mIU/mL -- (Reference range 1.5 - 12.4)

LH: 6.9 mIU/mL -- (Reference range 1.7 - 8.6)

Prolactin: 253.1 mIU/L -- (Reference range 98 - 456)

Testosterone: High 31.3 nmol/L -- (Reference range 9.9 - 27.8) ----- [31.3nmol/L = 902 ng/dL]

Next step is to get the other hormones tested ASAP. Any input on the above would be great.

I would get free testosterone tested, dht,Estradiol, progestone, dhea (if possible).

You may have high shbg which makes high testosterone not feel like you have high testosterone. Are you taking anything else, like SERMs?

ljb118

Reaction score
I would get free testosterone tested, dht,Estradiol, progestone, dhea (if possible).

You may have high shbg which makes high testosterone not feel like you have high testosterone. Are you taking anything else, like SERMs?

I have reached out to a few clinics for quotes on testing the above.

Not taking anything else whatsoever.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have reached out to a few clinics for quotes on testing the above.

Not taking anything else whatsoever.

Very interesting case, we definitely need more labs to get to the bottom of things. I am surprised LH is so elevated when your testosterone is so high.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
5mg of oral minoxidil is alot, i have seen very good success stories with just 0.6mg. Im starting 1.25mg at night today, can't cut it any smaller really. But if i could get my hands on 2.5mg tablets i would quarter them and use that.

ljb118

Reaction score
5mg of oral minoxidil is alot, i have seen very good success stories with just 0.6mg. Im starting 1.25mg at night today, can't cut it any smaller really. But if i could get my hands on 2.5mg tablets i would quarter them and use that.

I'd definitely start with a lower dose and assess every few months. Good luck with things. Are you documenting your progress anywhere? I'd like to hear how you get on.

ljb118

Reaction score

How has your first week been on the oral minoxidil? Anything worth noting?

I placed an order for some tabs myself which I will be starting at the beginning of December. I'm convinced these are the way to go, though I'll be starting with a 2.5mg nightly dosage and assess every 3 months. I shall be documenting with pictures and thoughts along the way as I feel there is a need for more documentation on oral minoxidil. I can only find a few user reports throughout various mediums online of people staying on it for multiple years, however these guys report really positive results. Many seem to quit between 3-12 months which is a shame.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
How has your first week been on the oral minoxidil? Anything worth noting?

I placed an order for some tabs myself which I will be starting at the beginning of December. I'm convinced these are the way to go, though I'll be starting with a 2.5mg nightly dosage and assess every 3 months. I shall be documenting with pictures and thoughts along the way as I feel there is a need for more documentation on oral minoxidil. I can only find a few user reports throughout various mediums online of people staying on it for multiple years, however these guys report really positive results. Many seem to quit between 3-12 months which is a shame.

I started on 5mg at night btw, no side effects so far, with foam and dermarolling i was getting bloated face etc, none of that with oral, no idea why. But im optimistic. I will be documenting it on this thread, i will update every couple of months https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...idil-once-or-twice-a-day.116968/#post-1713097

ljb118

Reaction score
I started on 5mg at night btw, no side effects so far, with foam and dermarolling i was getting bloated face etc, none of that with oral, no idea why. But im optimistic. I will be documenting it on this thread, i will update every couple of months https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...idil-once-or-twice-a-day.116968/#post-1713097

Awesome! I will keep an eye on it. Seems like there is an uptick in oral minoxidil related content recently.

Be sure to keep an accurate measurement for your blood pressure over time. Better safe than sorry.

ljb118

Reaction score
Got some of my labs back today and everything seems extreme.
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 10.15.42.png

Any thoughts on the above?

@Retinoid - would really appreciate your input!

Fyi I took this second round of labs at around 8:30am as opposed to the first labs taken at 11:30am.

Last edited:

Long John Silver

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey bro, Similar story here too. finasteride reduced how well it worked as I aged too and dr said it is pretty common.