22yo - Thin Hair On Front Or Balding?

luka618

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, Luka here

I just got a shorter haircut after years and noticed that the front side of my sculp is pretty visible when I wet my hair..
Been to the doctor and said I have "lazy follicles" and recommended me some zinc integrators
Does that sound like bs to you?
I'm 22 years old and currently not following any regime

Thanks in advance, Luka

IMG_20181223_170931.jpg IMG_20181223_170949.jpg

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah your doctor fed you BS. Your hairline is receding.

Start with the big 4 bro

Finasteride 1mg/d
Minoxidil 2x/d
Nizoral shampoo 2-3x/wk
Derma needling 1.5mm/wk

luka618

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply

I'm very new to all this stuff, so forgive my lack of knowledge
If I were to begin that treatment, does it mean I'd have to follow it thoroughly to see some effects? And would such effects vanish as soon as I momentarily stop?

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately hair loss treatments are for life, even if you get a transplant. It's less daunting than it sounds though. Hair loss treatments aren't typically time consuming, and are only expensive if you're doing really experimental stuff.

You will need a prescription for finasteride, but you can get it from online pharmacies without a script. (For me it's like $50 for 3 months)

Minoxidil (brand name: rogaine) and nizoral can be found at any supermarket in the shampoo/hair care aisles. IDR how much minoxidil costs, but nizoral is around $14 BUT it will last you a VERY long time. I've had my bottle for around 7-8 months.

A cheap derma roller will run you $10. You can find one on Amazon.

Run this regimen for a year and evaluate your results. It's VERY important to wait the whole year because it takes time for treatment to work, plus you may go through a shedding phase. DON'T LET THAT SCARE YOU!

luka618

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh sh*t! A shedding phase? Sounds terrific!
Do you have your own story here on the forum? I'd like to know more about others' situation too

Thanks a lot for the info, especially the $$$

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, YMMV as far as shedding goes. I don't have a story thread posted, but I started this year in February with finasteride and nizoral. Added dermarolling around a month or two ago. I had a bad shed around the 4 month mark, and got over it in November.

Too early to say what my results are but i don't shed much at all, and I'm starting to grow little hairs on my hairline. Not above baseline yet.

Hair loss sucks, and there's a lot of FUD surrounding treatment outside of hair loss forums. I'm glad if I can help anyone make the right decision for themselves regarding how they treat it.

luka618

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah man, that's what makes me sort of scared about hair loss, it's that the doctor feeds me bs and a lot of FUD on the internet, so I feel like chances are I'll spend a lot of money for no results at all.
This is why I'm so eager to see the story of those who have undergone the treatments in here.

Does any of you know an effective way to make areas of my hair thicker? I've read that castor oil may help.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
thinning.

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah man, that's what makes me sort of scared about hair loss, it's that the doctor feeds me bs and a lot of FUD on the internet, so I feel like chances are I'll spend a lot of money for no results at all.
This is why I'm so eager to see the story of those who have undergone the treatments in here.

Does any of you know an effective way to make areas of my hair thicker? I've read that castor oil may help.
Organic castor oil, olive oil, grape seed oil, essential oils, etc. are great supplemental products to use in conjunction with one or more of the major treatments especially for aggressive hair loss.

You don't have to start with all of these but go see a doctor/dermatologist that actually knows something about male pattern baldness and bring up what @Pixie mentioned.
Yeah your doctor fed you BS. Your hairline is receding.
Finasteride 1mg/d
Minoxidil 2x/d
Nizoral shampoo 2-3x/wk
Derma needling 1.5mm/wk

luka618

My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright thanks everybody for the info.

One thing that isn't clear to me is: how does one understand whether it's hair thinning or balding? Some here have said it's receding hairline and some others thinning.

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thinning can lead to balding. If you have male pattern baldness then expect that thinning part to go bald. Remove all doubt and see someone who can give you a proper evaluation. The answer that your last doctor gave you about it being "lazy follicles" is ridiculous. I wanted to laugh at that answer he gave you but it really pisses me off because I've had doctors like that in the past.

luka618

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok so if I understood correctly, thinning is likely an early symptom of balding, but not necessarily.
Which leaves 2 options:
  1. I have male pattern baldness, and the thin hair on the front is the first sign;
  2. I just have diffuse thin hair on that particular area
Right?

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok so if I understood correctly, thinning is likely an early symptom of balding, but not necessarily.
Which leaves 2 options:
  1. I have male pattern baldness, and the thin hair on the front is the first sign;
  2. I just have diffuse thin hair on that particular area
Right?
1. If you have male pattern baldness then it started awhile ago and it is highly possible that it will progress.
2. You have to find what caused that thinning. You may be able to stop or reverse it by treating the root cause.

You have to get a proper evaluation. You didn't get it on your last doctors visit.

luka618

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah that was absolutely not a proper evaluation.

So I have to find a professional trichologist, which sounds to me like no easy task.
Do you think it's a waste of time if I get visited by those who offer a free evaluation?

Thanks for your time.

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you can get all the necessary tests via the free evaluation then you should do it to rule out any medical conditions.

luka618

My Regimen
Reaction score
Welp guys, what tests should I be looking for, exactly? Don't want to be fed some more BS.
As far as I've read online, I should do something to inhibit the production of DHT, through diet and finasteride.
Does that make sense or am I off already?