[21 Yo Male] Does This Look Like male pattern baldness Or Just A Mature Hairline?

GhostKoi

My Regimen
Reaction score
You have no thinning. I wouldn't be worried if I were you. Are you losing lots of hairs in showers and throughout the day?
No not at all. The only thing I have noticed over the past couple of months is my hair has a tendency to get kind of messy/spindly around my part (I.e. lots of individual hairs stick out annoyingly). Do you think it’s just the much shorter haircut? Here is how I looked about 4 months ago with a really good haircut from my barber. (I went to a new person recently because I’m away from school working and they cut it too short)

Attachments

• 9F347799-E1E0-4668-AE95-F1549048D506.jpeg
    9F347799-E1E0-4668-AE95-F1549048D506.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 201

abcdefg

Reaction score
I dont know if you even have any hair loss at all. Compared to old pictures do you see obvious thinning or bald spots? It doesnt look bad from pictures. I would say wait and just watch it. If your really worried go see a derm. They see hundreds if not thousands of men for hair loss all the time they know what is really MBP versus someone just worrying about nothing.
Treatments are not risk free. Dont risk it unless you really have a problem

GhostKoi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, I have an appointment setup in a month without. Very well respected dermatologist. Honestly it’s more just been noticible since I let my hair grow out significantly and then got it cut too short. (I.e. it was so long in the front it would part all the way up top and reveal my full hairline instead of being short enough on the sides to cover it. Then I got it cut very short so there’s no coverage. This has given me the feeling that my hairline it getting higher / the foremost part of my hair is barely “sticking” to my forehead.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
No not at all. The only thing I have noticed over the past couple of months is my hair has a tendency to get kind of messy/spindly around my part (I.e. lots of individual hairs stick out annoyingly). Do you think it’s just the much shorter haircut? Here is how I looked about 4 months ago with a really good haircut from my barber. (I went to a new person recently because I’m away from school working and they cut it too short)

Honestly bro, considering your good family history along with seeing no thinning and shedding and ur hair has been stable for a while, I really believe you are safe for now.

GhostKoi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly bro, considering your good family history along with seeing no thinning and shedding and ur hair has been stable for a while, I really believe you are safe for now.

Thanks! Also thanks to everyone on this forum! you guys have been really great. Now that I hear some opinions I think I have a better sense for whats happening. I have mild anxiety and OCD and hairless has been one of my biggest fears since childhood (I'm not sure why)... now being in the city and working at a job where hair loss is very common may have made me hyper-sensitive to the issue and sort of compelled me to more closely examine myself and attribute any change in hair style/constancy to loosing it. Compounding this with a longer hair style that has me pushing the sides back with product and sweeping the front over and then subsequently a style thats a bit too short in the front for coverage - has emphasized my mature hairline and pushed me in the direction of "oh this must be hairless."

alekgn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't give hair loss advice if you know jack sh*t about it. The dude isn't even NW2 yet, stop scaring him

He's definitely a NW2. NW2 is a grey area; sometimes (especially Caucasian) men maintain a NW2 until death or don't recede until decades later. Other times it begins to turn to NW3 a lot sooner. Also, I'd rather be more cautious and assume possible further balding with continued monitoring rather than immediately doing finasteride or just dismissing it.That's currently what I've been doing, as a NW1.5-NW2. Nothing's happened yet, but balding is very unpredictable, so one cannot lose their guard.

You have no thinning. I wouldn't be worried if I were you. Are you losing lots of hairs in showers and throughout the day?

Actually, from his last set of pictures, I do see thinning along the hairline near the widow's peak in the middle. His left temple bald spot also appears a bit larger than his right one.

Photo on 7-1-18 at 12.49 PM #3.jpg

Last edited:

GhostKoi

My Regimen
Reaction score
He's definitely a NW2. NW2 is a grey area; sometimes (especially Caucasian) men maintain a NW2 until death or don't recede until decades later. Other times it begins to turn to NW3 a lot sooner. Also, I'd rather be more cautious and assume possible further balding with continued monitoring rather than immediately doing finasteride or just dismissing it.That's currently what I've been doing, as a NW1.5-NW2. Nothing's happened yet, but balding is very unpredictable, so one cannot lose their guard.

Actually, from his last set of pictures, I do see thinning along the hairline near the widow's peak in the middle. His left temple bald spot also appears a bit larger than his right one.

View attachment 92172

Yeah I’ll be on aggressive meds in a month. Maybe I’ll get lucky and have a shot at keeping what I have? It’s almost unnoticeable right now and nearly perfect when it’s cut right/long enough.

DiffThinner35

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't worry too much, mate!

To an untrained eye, you still have a full head of hair. You're maybe a Norwood 1.5.

You can stop or slow down the progression of your hairloss with propecia (if you're lucky, that is and the medication works for you). I wouldn't use rogaine (minoxidil) for now.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@GhostKoi

I think that you're right, it's at the beginning stages of falling out.

I didn't want to take any anti androgens for decades, and now I'm paying for it (literally).

I'm taking really expensive topical treatments, but I'm still going to always be at least
a Norwood three (a terrible hairline, and diffuse top).

Don't let this be you. Start taking Finasteride and Minoxidil right away, and you'll never
have to worry about baldness.

If you do have mixed feelings about taking Finasteride, just cut it in half. At least
that's better than nothing.

GhostKoi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah - I have no issues with drugs. I’m gonna do as much as possible and hope it stays at this level. This truly is one of the worst things I’ve ever experienced and possibly the darkest point in my life. I got sick in the shower this morning considering everything. I only hope it gets better instead of worse.

Vince_Reagan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah - I have no issues with drugs. I’m gonna do as much as possible and hope it stays at this level. This truly is one of the worst things I’ve ever experienced and possibly the darkest point in my life. I got sick in the shower this morning considering everything. I only hope it gets better instead of worse.
Yes my friend, you should get on medication as soon as possible. But keep tracking the changes and also update us if possible. Good luck my friend!

GhostKoi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys - one last thing. So I’ve been working at a job for the past 4.5 weeks where I’ve only been getting (this is not an exaggeration) roughly 3 to 5 hours of sleep per night. Could this be playing a role in the thinning? Once I got back on a normal schedule could my hair return thicker? Or am I looking at genetics and damned either way?

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
this is clearly male pattern baldness brah . Uneven recession of the hairline . ( like me ) .Start meds and keep updating

GhostKoi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Fair. So my appointment is in a month which was the earliest anyone can do. Are there any non-prescription things I can start on now? Also - since I don’t have an official diagnosis from an MD... are there any risks to starting any of these treatments now (I.e. problems if I start doing this stuff and it turns out I’m not actually going bald)? I really don’t want to wait a month to start. I feel like every day is another day lost now sadly.

GhostKoi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just got back from my dermatologist who examined my hairline and said that I have miniaturization and that it was was “uncovered” by inflammation in my scalp and stressful living conditions (I had been working 85 hour weeks for two months straight however I never mentioned this fact to him). He said that if I did a rotation of prescription shampoos it would likely go back to normal in about a year (I.e. there would be no further miniaturization and I could potentially see some regrowth). Does this sound right to anyone?

He said that the miniaturization was temporary.

I feel like I’m just in the early stages of male pattern baldness and this is classic denial. Anyone have this happen? I’m expecting the worst here..

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just got back from my dermatologist who examined my hairline and said that I have miniaturization and that it was was “uncovered” by inflammation in my scalp and stressful living conditions (I had been working 85 hour weeks for two months straight however I never mentioned this fact to him). He said that if I did a rotation of prescription shampoos it would likely go back to normal in about a year (I.e. there would be no further miniaturization and I could potentially see some regrowth). Does this sound right to anyone?

He said that the miniaturization was temporary.

I feel like I’m just in the early stages of male pattern baldness and this is classic denial. Anyone have this happen? I’m expecting the worst here..
Temporary minitiaurization isn’t a thing. Prescription shampoos don’t do sh*t on their own. You’re derms a dipshit.

Get on finasteride if you really wanna keep everything

GhostKoi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Their comment was that since my hairline hasn’t moved (which it hasn’t since I could check so about two years ago) and since I am not shedding at all, that I shouldn’t jump to finasteride yet. Appearently Real male pattern baldness usually has a lot of shedding along with it?

I still can’t believe this. I used to look so good and my hair used to be incredible. I don’t want to live my life like this