2008/2009 NFL Season

Anthony83

Established Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
[quote="Old Baldy":3be0g011]Off topic but did you guys see Ohio State choke, ONCE AGAIN, in a bowl game? :(

Am I EVER going to get a championship caliber football team in my general geographical vicinity!!?? :dunno:
Man, I didn't have an emotional attachment to either of the teams, but even I felt like I had my heart ripped out after watching the end of that game. What a nightmare, I feel so bad for Ohio State.[/quote:3be0g011]

I am a big OSU fan. I feel so bad for those seniors. They put up 4 great seasons and will be remembered as choke artists. Man, what a tough ride they had. At least this game was competitive.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Do I assume correctly from all that that there ARE at least a few Brits who are relatively conversant with the game of American football? They know the game well enough to be able to recognize marginal calls, at least? :)
There's a few of us to be found, living on the periphery of society, either armed with Sky Sports or, like me, reliant on Channel 5's live coverage of MNF and one Sunday night (for you) game. I live in hope that Channel 5 will sacrifice one load of the crap they fill their three channels with on Sunday evenings in favour of showing an afternoon match.

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
Divisional Championship Picks:

SD @ Pitt: Steelers. San Diego has a mediocre offense, especially without LT. Pittsburgh does too, but their defense is just too good.

Baltimore @ Tenn: Ravens. I just still don't think Tennessee is good enough to justify their record. Baltimore is on a hot streak, and I think Ed Reed should be at the top of everyone's lists of best players in the NFL. I think this might end up being the best but most boring game of the weekend.

Arizona @ Carolina: Panthers. The days of having no running game but still being able to move the ball in the air because you have Larry Fitzgerald are going to catch to the Cardinals eventually. I think its long overdue, Carolina in a walk.

Philadelphia @ NY: Eagles. I know, I'm an Eagles fan. But to justify this pick I will say the following: Neither facing the Giants, nor going to the Meadowlands is a big deal for us. This will be the third time we play them this year. Beating them in the Meadowlands a few weeks ago was arguably the beginning of the current streak that has brought us here. The ways they have beaten us in the past, they have failed to accomplish this year, namely pressure on McNabb. Plus, we have the momentum and we're playing like we mean it. We don't always show up for all our games, but when we do we are one of the more dangerous teams around. Consistency, rather than ability, is our biggest weakness.

Should be a good weekend. See you guys on the other side!

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
Bryan said:
Do I assume correctly from all that that there ARE at least a few Brits who are relatively conversant with the game of American football? They know the game well enough to be able to recognize marginal calls, at least? :)
There's a few of us to be found, living on the periphery of society, either armed with Sky Sports or, like me, reliant on Channel 5's live coverage of MNF and one Sunday night (for you) game. I live in hope that Channel 5 will sacrifice one load of the crap they fill their three channels with on Sunday evenings in favour of showing an afternoon match.

Here here! It really annoys me when they show crap tv shows instead of afternoon nfl games. I for one am starting to get interested in the play-offs but unfortunately Channel 5 only show games at 1am British time. The other day I upgraded my sky package so I could see more live nfl games and I am so glad I did.

One team I am surprised to see do well is the Arizona Cardinals. I might put bet on them to win the Super Bowl.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Should be really interesting to see. Conventional wisdom tells me Philly is going to kill Arizona...but this has been too weird of a season to assume that. My pick is Philly, though. In the AFC, I hate both teams, but I think Pittsburgh prevails.

Cassin

Reaction score
As a diehard Cowboys fan........

Tom Hecker will rue the day he didn't re-sign McNabb in the off season...........

If I was the Vikings I would back up the truck and give that guy a lucrative 3 to 4 year deal + 20% above what the Eagles offer. Yeah he will have a few terrible games and yeah he is slowly breaking down a bit but he for sure has another 3 years left in that tank as a quality player. McNabb isn't elite but he's pretty good and even finding a decent QB is pretty damn hard.....why do people always forget how hard it is to find a servicable QB?

Send him to Minnesota and they would be a in a good shot to make a SB run.

No offense Jaybear but the Phili fans have taken that "classless fan bad attitude" bit way too far and I can't understand why anyone would want to play there.

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
No offense Jaybear but the Phili fans have taken that "classless fan bad attitude" bit way too far and I can't understand why anyone would want to play there.

I'm not offended, in fact I agree with you. Almost. Think of philly fans as being like that insane boyfriend/girlfriend we all dated in high school. On the bad days they would get drunk, trash you publicly, go through your voicemail, and threaten to leave you. But on those rare good days, they would make you feel like a king. Plus the sex was good.

We are tough, and overly critical. We also show up to every game, we travel more than almost any other NFL fan base. The wait list for season tickets at the Linc is the highest in the NFL. And all this for a team that has NEVER won a super bowl. We are as loyal in some ways as we are fickle in others. We make other fans. My boyfriend just bought his first jersey (Dawkins!) and he's from DC and has never cared about football.

I live in DC now and there is a running joke among eagles fans in dc that if you show up to a philly/dc game here, you run the risk of the skins fans pouring their chardonnay on you. I know we're not the best fans, but we'll never be that. I totally understand why everyone else hates us, but I love my philly people.

Cassin

Reaction score
JayBear said:
We are tough, and overly critical. We also show up to every game, we travel more than almost any other NFL fan base.

I agree with this...I would put y'all right below Pittsburgh. Going to a night game in Dallas against Phili is always a interesting night.

Last time I was at a Phili game some guy got kicked out before kickoff...dude is sitting in his seat just hurling a never ending stream of shocking profanities at nobody in particular....so this guy 3 rows ahead with his kid (stadium is 30% full at this point so the guy was easy to hear) asked him mater of factly but relatively politely to calm down...well mr trashed at 12:30pm Phili fan erupted and was subsequently dragged out by stadium security within 5 minutes....5 MINUTES!! Best part? His wife didn't follow him and stayed to watch the game. So awesome.

Texas Stadium isn't a typical fan friendly environment but they have a line that you don't cross. Don't cuss too much...don't threaten anyone and don't get visibly trashed. This guy showed all 3 right away... hahahha

I never had a problem with Phili fans until they boo'd Micheal Irvin when he got carted off on a stretcher and may have been paralyzed...scum....I hate all Phili fans but you. hahaa

The Gardener

Reaction score
Philly is so frustrating to watch. So inconsistent.

On the other hand, I really enjoy watching Baltimore. I think they are the only NFL team who's defense I actually ENJOY watching. Such a good defense... and Ray Lewis... kickin *** and busting heads.

They're down today, though.... wow, I expected Baltimore to stuff Willie Parker, shut down Roethlisberger, and pull this one out! Maybe not!

Cassin

Reaction score
Phili vs Arizona is one of the greatest conference championship games I have ever seen.

so far so good on Pitt vs Balt.....

any Dallas fan needs to root against Pitt and that includes you G-Man........ :nono:

The Gardener

Reaction score
Right back at ya!

tx_lewis_ray.jpg