2008/2009 NFL Season

Cassin

Reaction score
Welcome OB...LOL...if you guys get Jason Garrett he will do you wonders. This season.was.not.his.fault.

No worries JayBear...any trash talking is justified. I'm really embarrassed.

I was going to write a long post but Chris Collinsworth said it best

IV. Collinsworth on the Cowboys offensive line: If you study the tape "it was tough watching them in one-on-one passing situations."

V. Collinsworth on Roy (Wide Receiver) Williams: He "wasn't even the fourth best receiver on the football team. He should have been on the bench."

VI. Collinsworth on Terrell Owens wanting the ball more: "He should have known that the offensive line could not protect" Romo long enough for the quarterback to get him the ball.

VII. Collinsworth on Wade Phillips: "Jerry makes the decisions...Where does the buck stop?...It's hard to say the buck stops with Wade Phillips."

VIII. Collinsworth on the Dolphins: "Ths team knew who they were from the minute Bill Parcells got there...I never heard anyone complain. They stuck together."

IX. Collinsworth on the Cowboys and baseball's Yankees: They are two organizations that threw money around for individual stars and didn't make the playoffs. "Maybe its good for all of us who love sports" that organizations that emphasized team had more success.

One thing thats not getting enough pub is how wreck Tony's back is. I am not making an excuse but the OL let the entire team down and ruined him for the long stretch. OL is so critical and everything revolves around it and they let the Cowboys down. Tony was wreck and they let him get bulldozed every 3 plays. Sickening. However, the Cowboys have another 4 to 5 years left in that window. All of our young guys are signed up except for Ware who will break the bank. Tank Johnson is scum and he is far worse than TO ever dreamed of. And yes...I firmly believe in Romo.

JayBay - Whats going to happen with McNabb? He will have two bad games a year and miss a couple more but that dude is still good. If the Eagles sign TJ and re-sign DM I will sh*t myself. Thats a ton of cash though but they need to do it. Windows in the NFL are short and seize it now. Let DM go and you're looking at 15 years until you find a another franchise QB.

Old Baldy - Get Jason Garrett...go get him. And get two OL's in the first 5 picks.

EasyEd - Tell me whats going on with Brady? We hear its worse than people realize?

The Gardener - Thoughts on Dallas?

The Gardener

Reaction score
What a catastrophe. I've been afraid to even talk about the Cowboys this season because watching them, well, you just never know who is going to show up. I'm just speechless.

This team has some problems. And, I'm pretty confident in saying that I DON'T think it's the skill of the personnel that is the weakness.

They looked uninspired. The turnovers, the mistakes, dropped passes, fumbles, crossed up routes, miscommunication, a team looking like they aren't all on the same page, and don't have a coherent "personality"... and NO sense of urgency. Fingers being pointed at each other not only in the post game press conferences, but on the sidelines DURING game play. This is not a "team", this is a collection of high powered and talented freelancers all trying to play their own individual "games" hoping that they collectively pull out a win.

Frankly, I think this very obviously points to the coaching. This is just my country logic making a supposition here, but I get the feeling that Phillips doesn't have a strong enough personality to handle that mix of talent and attitude that's on the roster, not to mention being able to work under Jones. I'll have more thoughts on all this later, but my immediate thought is that with Denver giving Shanahan his walking papers, we should JUMP on that and bring Shanahan to Dallas. He's got deep experience coaching teams that are stocked with talent, and he's the kind of guy who won't let the Jerry Jones bullshit put a bug in his bonnet. Bring Shanahan to Dallas!

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
JayBay - Whats going to happen with McNabb? He will have two bad games a year and miss a couple more but that dude is still good. If the Eagles sign TJ and re-sign DM I will sh*t myself. Thats a ton of cash though but they need to do it. Windows in the NFL are short and seize it now. Let DM go and you're looking at 15 years until you find a another franchise QB.

I'm not sure who you mean by TJ (unless you mean T.J. Houshmandzadeh in which case I haven't heard about this possibility yet. It seems far-fetched to me since Cincy has been considering putting the franchise tag on him i thought). I know philly has been calling for McNabb's head recently, but that's just what we do. Honestly, I can't think of a place I'd less rather be a professional athlete than in a Philadelphia football or baseball team. The fact of the matter is, he is inconsistent, but still IMO one of the absolute best in the league. You're right, if we let him go, we are officially a 'rebuilding' team and won't find someone as good or better for a very long time.

Now your turn: what the hell man??!! you have one of the best rosters of any team in almost any professional sport. I mean I know you have had some injury problems, but what is going to get it together for you? You should have never let Parcells leave, you definatly should have hired Sparano instead of Phillips, but overall can any coach in the league get these guys working together and not just for themselves? I mean, yeah, fix the o-line and you definatly need some help on special teams, but you're biggest problem IMO is you have all these guys coming to Dallas thinking 'this is where i'm going to make my legacy and start seeing my name in the headlines' and nobody saying ' here's my chance to get my team to the SB.' It's amazing they can get the team out of the tunnel with all those big heads.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
Cassin, do you now agree with me that the Lion's management and owner are the worst in professional sports history? I say it ain't even close any longer.
A close second to the LA Clippers of the NBA.

At least the Lions have some history and some heroes... the Clippers, well, they have nothing. Past, present, nor future.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Yup Gardener, the LA Clippers suck. At least the Lions were a powerhouse in the 1950's and had a very good team in the early 1960's. (I remember the 1960's team but was too young to remember the Bobby Layne years. My father tells me they truly were a great team.)

Cassin, Jason Garret would be a good choice, but would he come to the Lions?

Yes, two outside linebackers would be great but we need offensive and defensive lines. Oops, we also need defensive backs and a quarterback. (Did you mean outside linebackers when you said "OL" or did you mean offensive linemen?)

In other words, we need a whole new team, except for wide receivers, because that is all dumba** Matt Millen EVER drafted!! (And, IIRC three of those first round wide receivers are no longer with the Lions, maybe not even in the NFL? :( )

How a linebacker like Millen didn't see the value in lineman is completely beyond me. He was, and will always be, a stupid idiot. The only person dumber is the Lion's owner William C. Ford.

Darryl Rogers famous quote around here (i.e., when he was "performing" as another coach in a long line of abysmal Lion's coaches): "What the heck does it take to get fired around here?" Kind of says it all guys.

Cassin, Gardener, Easy Ed, Jaybear, etc., there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that, if you spent a couple of months full-time studying the draft, available players, etc., you would out perform Matt (dumba**) Millen in a heartbeat. It would be a cakewalk for all of you to do better than that complete idiot. It would be like stealing candy from a baby.

Heck, the above paragraph applies to EVERYONE who as participated in this seventeen page thread!! :sobbing:

(Thank God we have the Red Wings. Now that team IS a powerhouse.)

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin,

Regarding Brady, it doesn't look good. I have heard some sources say he's ahead of schedule, but with the infections, I just don't see how that's possible. Below is a portion of Tom Curran's article on this topic. He actually thinks Brady's behind schedule, and runs a great risk of missing the 2009 season. I heard on the radio today (Boston sports radio, so you have to take it with a graif of salt) that the Patriots are saying that he's behind schedule so it gives them added leverage with other teams that will go after Cassell. The Pats then put themselves in the position to say "We can't give him away that cheaply...we're probably going to need this guy since Brady's future is uncertain...". My guess: Brady's right on schedule, and is rehabbing well...he will probably get off to a slow start in 2009, but will have an overall good year, and will have a fantastic year in 2010...I just have too much faith in the guy to doubt him. So does his coach, actually...Belichick said on the same radio station on Monday that Brady is the hardest working QB he's ever been around, and would take Brady over any QB ever...

Anyway, this summarizes what has everyone in a panic:

The problem began with the infection that set in soon after the Oct. 6 surgery performed by Los Angeles-based doctor Neil ElAttrache.

After the infection was detected, Brady went through six weeks of antibiotics and surgical irrigation of the infected area. The infection finally cleared but as it currently stands, both the ACL and MCL remain “loose,†the league source said. Meanwhile, scar tissue that built up in the knee as Brady’s body battled the infection is still present and might need to be surgically removed.

Additionally, because of the scar tissue, Brady’s knee doesn’t have close to full mobility, the league source said. That means the process of regaining strength in his quadriceps — the most important muscle to build up after a knee injury — hasn’t begun in earnest.

Even if Brady gets the scar tissue removed, regains greater mobility in the knee and is able to get the strength back in his quad, the looseness in the ligaments won’t go away without a second surgery, the source said. At this point, deciding to have that second surgery would cost him the 2009 season because a second surgery wouldn’t be recommended this soon after the first, especially with the current condition of the area.

If he doesn’t have a second surgery, he’ll almost certainly have to wear a brace on the knee when he returns and the area will be susceptible to another blowout, the source said.

If that occurs, what then for the Patriots?

That’s where Cassel’s situation becomes interesting. After three full seasons working as a backup to Brady, Cassel has played brilliantly this season, especially relative to the expectations of how much he could deliver.

He’s thrown for 3,615 yards, 21 touchdowns, 11 picks and completed more than 63 percent of his passes. And the Patriots, entering Sunday, are 10-5 with a chance to win the AFC East. This after spending his entire college career at USC without starting a single game.

On the free agent market, the 26-year-old Cassel would certainly be as appetizing an option as any quarterback coming out in April’s draft. By way of financial comparison, Matt Ryan, the third overall pick last April, got a six-year, $72 million deal from the Falcons, which included more than $34 million in guaranteed money.

But if the condition of Brady — the NFL’s MVP in 2007, a three-time Super Bowl winner and a two-time Super Bowl MVP — is still tenuous, the Patriots might use the franchise tag on Cassel. That would mean Cassel would be paid the average of the top five quarterback salaries in the league. That probably would come in around $12 million.

Brady’s 2009 salary is $5 million and he’s also due a $3 million roster bonus. Relative to the league’s other successful quarterbacks, he’s a bargain. But if the Patriots opt to franchise Cassel as insurance, that means the team will have close to $20 million in salary to be paid out to their two quarterbacks. Additionally, $6.6 million of Brady’s pro-rated signing bonus will count against their 2009 cap. That would mean the Patriots would be spending close to $26 million of the projected $123 million salary cap on these two quarterbacks.

That’s a lot of coin. And even though the Patriots are one of the league’s most highly-valued franchises ($1.3 billion according to Forbes.com’s team valuations in early September), it will certainly cause them to think long and hard about whether they want to let Matt Cassel walk as a free agent or keep him around a litt le bit longer. Just in case.

Cassin

Reaction score
JayBear said:
I'm not sure who you mean by TJ (unless you mean T.J. Houshmandzadeh in which case I haven't heard about this possibility yet. It seems far-fetched to me since Cincy has been considering putting the franchise tag on him i thought).............

Oh I thought they already successfully used it on Chad or Palmer 2 years ago.

JayBear said:
Now your turn: what the hell man??!......... but what is going to get it together for you? You should have never let Parcells leave, you definatly should have hired Sparano instead of Phillips, but overall can any coach in the league get these guys working together and not just for themselves? .

Well I don't have too much to add from what I already posted above but Parcell's needed to go as a coach. It was time for him to go and he was inflexible and supposedly he refused any sort of modern coaching techniques. He wouldn't let assistant coaches talk to the media and the guy was a miserable prick. The guy plays massive favorites. However....he can be my GM and team president any day of the week.

If we just cut a few bad apples the dynamics of this team can easily be righted. Its not that bad as people are having a heart attack about. Our running game and OL went to hell due to injury. Bad chemistry only matters when something bad happens. It doesn't cause bad things to happen.

Old Baldy said:
Yes, two outside linebackers would be great but we need offensive and defensive lines. Oops, we also need defensive backs and a quarterback. (Did you mean outside linebackers when you said "OL" or did you mean offensive linemen?)

Yes I am sorry, OL = Offensive Linemen....OLB = Outside Line Backers. Being a fan of the Cowboys made me realize how important a OL is. My theory is you ALWAYS..ALWAYS draft a OL in the first three rounds and sign one in the off season. Every year. Never go a season without doing that. OL makes the entire offense click. You cannot exist without a good one.

EasyEd..........Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh..........information warfare through the media...sounds like the proper franchise as usual. Jerry Jones is the chess master of it...through all of his faults he is a awesome owner.

cleverusername

Established Member
Reaction score
my chargers made the playoffs yeeeeeeeeeyah!! Now I have to scour NYC for charger fans to watch the colts game with.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Oh yes Cassin, OLB for outside linebacker - DUH. :blush:

Why Millen failed to see the value in offensive lineman is beyond me - and about a guzillion other Lion's fans.

Since Millen was a very good linebacker, I figured he might err on the side of signing too many good defensive players. He couldn't even see the extreme value in that area either! The guy was a total dumba**.

I'm telling you Cassin, all Millen ever drafted in the first couple of rounds was one useless quarterback and about five million wide recievers. Did he trade for good lineman? No, he didn't have anything to trade with except his early draft picks. But as far as I can tell, he didn't want to give away his chances of getting one more good wide reciever in the drafts. WTF!!??

Millen has to own the record for having the most early round draft picks who didn't even make it in the NFL for five years.

Anyway, good luck to all of your guys' teams. I'll be sitting on the sidelines again only hoping to see good, competitive games. :(

Oh well, I've got the Red Wings and they are a GREAT team IMHO. One of the best I've ever seen in all my years of following hockey.

Cassin

Reaction score
The Lions should ask the NFL for help creating a front office like the Giants did.

I remember when Millen was publicity campaigning for the Lions GM job while doing color...

It really is a shame what a disaster the Lions are....at least you guys have a lot of picks this year to start fresh. You'll have 1 pick and between 17-20 from the Cowboys.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Right there Cassin, you've shown that you should take over control of the Lions.

I never knew about the Giants asking for help from NFL headquarters.

(Yes, we've got your pick from the wide receiver we traded to Dallas. Hope we do better this time. I'm not holding my breath.)

Cassin

Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
I never knew about the Giants asking for help from NFL headquarters.

Someone help me here....was it in the early 90's? Mid 90's?

There was once talk of the NFL intervening with the bengals...I wouldn't be surprised if one day it comes out that there was indirect pressure for them to force Millen out.

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the Arizona Cardinals could be a good bet for this years Super bowl. I think that Hightower made a good touchdown.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Bald Dave said:
I think the Arizona Cardinals could be a good bet for this years Super bowl. I think that Hightower made a good touchdown.

You're British, right Dave? The reason I ask is because the Cardinals actually don't stand a chance. They're going to lose their next game to Carolina, I bet. Do they air the NFL playoff games there? Do they receive much attention?

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
GO EAGLES!!! Off to the Meadowlands. I think we're one of the more dangerous teams in the playoffs right now...

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Off topic but did you guys see Ohio State choke, ONCE AGAIN, in a bowl game? :(

Am I EVER going to get a championship caliber football team in my general geographical vicinity!!?? :dunno:

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
EasyEd said:
You're British, right Dave? The reason I ask is because the Cardinals actually don't stand a chance. They're going to lose their next game to Carolina, I bet. Do they air the NFL playoff games there? Do they receive much attention?
During the regular season we get a couple of games each week (one Sunday, one Monday) on the free-to-air Channel 5; I think Sky show about half a dozen matches per week. Up until a few years ago Channel 5 also screened the Super Bowl and two of each week's playoffs, which was fine by me, but then some git at the BBC decided they'd buy the terrestial Super Bowl rights - unfortunately they didn't bother to do the same for the playoffs.

What all this means, to eventually answer your question, is that those of us without satellite have our playoff viewing restricted to a highlights package on Channel 5 - the first four games were squeezed into an hour and a half last night. I say last night, coverage started at 1:30 this morning. So not only did I miss most of the action, but I can barely remember the stuff I did see.

On that topic: I have some vague recollection of several marginal calls going against the Falcons - or was this my fevered imagination?

The Gardener

Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
Off topic but did you guys see Ohio State choke, ONCE AGAIN, in a bowl game? :(

Am I EVER going to get a championship caliber football team in my general geographical vicinity!!?? :dunno:
Man, I didn't have an emotional attachment to either of the teams, but even I felt like I had my heart ripped out after watching the end of that game. What a nightmare, I feel so bad for Ohio State.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
During the regular season we get a couple of games each week (one Sunday, one Monday) on the free-to-air Channel 5; I think Sky show about half a dozen matches per week. Up until a few years ago Channel 5 also screened the Super Bowl and two of each week's playoffs, which was fine by me, but then some git at the BBC decided they'd buy the terrestial Super Bowl rights - unfortunately they didn't bother to do the same for the playoffs.

On that topic: I have some vague recollection of several marginal calls going against the Falcons - or was this my fevered imagination?

Do I assume correctly from all that that there ARE at least a few Brits who are relatively conversant with the game of American football? They know the game well enough to be able to recognize marginal calls, at least? :)