20 Yr Old With Hair Loss. Freaking Out And Getting Really Depressed! :(

Fishcake

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a 20 year old male. For the last year and a bit I have pretty much not had one day not thinking about my hair. I never used to give a monkeys about it and it was always bad looking as I have always had quite thin/limp hair. Now I give a monkeys about my hair, and I am sure I am balding... Typical. Anyway enough with the sob story, my grandad on my mums side is bald, but has a very small forehead so it looks ok, my Dad is receding but has a full thick crown. I was wondering what the best option for me is as it is becoming so hard to style my hair and am getting very anxious all the time.

What do you experts recommend I should do as my crown is noticeably thinning I think. Sometime sit looks fine but this is in bright spaces.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    802.8 KB · Views: 7,610
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 8,100
  • Image 3.jpg
    Image 3.jpg
    746.8 KB · Views: 11,136
  • Image 4.jpg
    Image 4.jpg
    790.4 KB · Views: 6,595
  • Image 5.jpg
    Image 5.jpg
    652.6 KB · Views: 6,651
Last edited:

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good news is that you still look good and will probably regrow a lot and keep a decent head of hair until you're 30 with conventional treatments, hopefully longer with newer treatments 10-15 years away. Bad news is it looks like you have retrograde alopecia...

Chinx

Reaction score
k9 i think you're mistaking something in your second-last post. Don't you mean finasteride? If not, you should've let the "if that bothers you" away right?

shookwun

Reaction score
Crown can be recovered through finasteride but those bald spots will remain unless you get a transplant in the future.

alex85

Established Member
Reaction score
Personally i would not recommend you minoxidil in your situation. There is actually nothing to regrow, you just need to prevent further loss and thicken up your existing hair. Jump on finasteride asap.

shookwun

Reaction score
It can't regrow hair on bald spots. it will strengthen your forelock and areas where their is hair, but the areas that are bare will remain bald.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
minoxidil would probably grow all of his hair back (both temple hair loss and crown area). Yes, finasteride is more powerful,
but in his case it's probably overkill.

He has vertex balding (slight). Also only slight hair loss around the temple area. Just use five percent
on the temple area and crown.

Why not? Results would show with minoxidil between twelve and sixteen weeks.

There's lots of success stories on the success board with minoxidil. Purvi had more baldness than him, and he regrew
all of it. He has photographs that prove it as well.

In the beginning stages, Minoxidil will probably work. Look at the success stories for visual proof.

And yes, he could definitely grow back his temple hair with minoxidil alone. I did it with two percent when I was twenty (only
option back then).

He's an excellent candidate. If hair has recently fallen out, which is his case, Minoxidil can definitely do the trick.

yeah but minoxidil alone doesn't address the root cause of male pattern baldness....ANDROGENS

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
He should use finasteride and minoxidil. Start with finasteride to prevent further follicle miniturisation, then see how things go for 6-8 months, then if he wants more, try minoxidil and see what it can do. It won't regrow your temples, but you most likely will get some regrowth/thickening at the hairline.

thatguywelbz

Established Member
Reaction score
Balding pattern just like mine. It sucks. Right now I still have a small spot left on the back of my head that pisses me off. Hoping it will fill in this time with dutasteride and finasteride. I'm going through a shed at this very moment.

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ur hair still looks really good, and tbh I didn't see a definitive pic that shows any crown loss and even ur hairline pic looks pretty normal for someone of ur age

Fishcake

Established Member
Reaction score
So a lot of you are saying go on finasteride, some not? More background knowledge, in photos of myself from ages 17+ I have always had a big forehead and not a perfect hairline. Obviously I think it has got worse, but it is not as bad as it could be. Should I start finasteride?

I am an absolute beginner on this matter, I don't even know what Finasteride or Minoxidil is, some say try one of them or both so I am unsure. Cheers for the feedback.

P.S Should I upload more photos to show my hairline and crown?

shookwun

Reaction score
finasteride will strengthen your hair, and maintain it in most cases.

Minioxidil is a bonus, but isn't nesseary. Wont hurt to add, but won't do much either.

Finasteride is all you need. Could also throw in Nizoral or regen shampoo into your stack if you would like. use this 1-3 times a week.

Fishcake

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are some more images of my hair. As you can see my hair looks so thin and wispy at the front and around hairline. My crown is noticeably thinning. (Good job I am tall). Another thing I have noticed is when I style my hair with wax it is flat in about an hour, and any moisture destroys it. When my hair is wet from shower, bath or heavy rain I look about 80 and my crown is very thin.

Another thing to notice is that exactly on my crown, unfortunately I have a couple of moles. My crown seems to form two thinning circles and each circle has a mole on it, very disgusting and unfortunate I know. I was wondering if they are affecting anything and whether removing them would help? I do not want to be bald and covered in moles...

Any replies as to what i should definitely do would be most appreciated. Should I go to my GP and ask for finasteride or any other treatments to suggest?

Here are more images:

hair 1.jpg hair 2.jpg hair 3.jpg hair 4.jpg

Fishcake

Established Member
Reaction score
Update:

Not yet started any form of treatment, should I consider it ASAP or is it not too bad?

This is my crown when damp:

Snapchat-6590261969438697541.jpgSnapchat-968285146781523551.jpgSnapchat-8944343650202553860.jpgSnapchat-534176662343952098.jpgSnapchat-6337519404167111235.jpgSnapchat-245957383043275090.jpg

This is my crown when dry:

Snapchat-1489255068505318242.jpgSnapchat-1800346579356601800.jpg

marine608

My Regimen
Reaction score
Get on finasteride, man.. what're you waiting for? It's clear that you value what's left of your hair, so why not hop on some medication? I'm sure you've had plenty of time to do your research on the risks vs rewards by now..