1st System Ever! Total Cover Plus - With Questions

terryezzo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone, im new to the forum and to hair replacement in general. I have been thinning for years (Im 47) to the point that I no longer wanted to go out anywhere without a hat. I tried hair implants but was unsuitable etc so I looked into hair systems. I didnt even know they existed, sure I know about wigs but thought they would look bad. Total Cover Plus was the first system I looked into and I read all the reviews and as a newbie, I decided to go for it. I didnt want to get a system where I have to stick it on myself as this worried me so basically I took the plunge without doing too much research on other systems. I didnt even know about lace, mesh etc.

So I got my appointment and they colour matched me and then I had it fitted and styled. I went away feeling very strange, anxious and uncertain as this was a drastic change in the way I looked. I was concened because it looked like it has way to much 'volume' to the hair - it was too 'big'. When getting it cut I kept telling the stylist to cut the 'weight' out of it but it was not enough and my wife thought it looked weird.

I went to another salon the following day and explained the situation and the lady spend 30 mins thinning out the hair and now im very pleased with it. Id give it 8/10 but it has way boosted my confidence so all in all im very pleased with my new look.

Going forward Im unsure if the next system should be tailor made (as Ive read so much about) or another one like I have now. This one took only 10 days to arrive so I do have some questions.

What is the advantages of a tailor made system? The one I have now fits well and blends in however I do have grey hairs on the side. Would a tailor made one be able to accomadate this?

The density / weight / volume of the unit was way too much, it didnt look right for someone my age so is there a way to get one made with a lot less 'hair' to it?

Finally, with Total Cover Plus, they stick it on and it stays on (apart from some extra bonding here and there) Why would I want one that I remove myself? If I removed it myself, wouldnt it not go back on right? Would the hair still blend in. Why not stick with Total Cover Plus instead?

My concerns with TCP is that their systems arrive in 10 days which suggests that they are 'off the shelf'. The tailor made ones take much longer - why?

Thanks everyone and I hope you dont mind all the 'starter' questions :)

Ezzo

Attachments

• hair.png
    hair.png
    669.6 KB · Views: 1,091

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I dont know much about systems but f*** dude you look 15 years younger! Big improvement

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Definitely looking much younger!

With a custom system you will get a more suitable denisty, colour match, even a little grey in it if you want. Its made from scratch hence it takes longer and yes TCP are off the sshelf that they colour.

I have been ordering online and DIY-ing for a few years. Initially, I was nervous especially on a reattachment at home. The first time it took me two attempts, but since then I must have done it 200 times and only ever needed 4 second attempts. Plus if you have your wife helping it will be even easier!

The second reason to go DIY is you will learn a lot more about a system and products.

Thirdly, it will work out a lot cheaper without loss of quality

Finally, you can pick and choose when you reattach and all from the comfort of home and not on a TCP salon visit which are too far apart. If you remove it every 2-weeks and clean the system and your head it more healthy and fresher feeling than leaving it on for many more weeks with bacteria build up. Most wearers and salons will tell you the same. I left my system on once for 4 weeks and ewwwww.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Ezzo

Glad to hear you are enjoying having your hair back. As everyone has said, you look good - much fresher and younger. It's a nice easy-to-maintain style too.

Your instinct is right - if it only took 10 days to arrive it isn't custom made - they take a couple of months to make. Unless you are in a desperate hurry there is only upside to getting a custom piece made. Obviously it is made for you, so it is exactly the same shape as your baldspot, and the hair is a perfect colour blend match for your native hair (including a percentage of grey if you wish). You can also customise the design if you wish - you can have the hair knotted onto the base in a particular direction, for example so that it goes backwards, or clings to your scalp. You can have the piece made with a fixed parting or a crown swirl. You can specify the density you want, including different densities in different areas of the piece. You can have grey added just at the temples, or just at the hairline. You can have a polythene rim added to the edge of base to give a good surface for tape etc etc.

Stock pieces (which is what TCP use) are pre-made in the most popular colours and designs, but obviously they are generic, so you are getting the closest piece they have to what you need, rather than exactly what you need. Presumably they have a big inventory of stock pieces somewhere (maybe Germany), which is what the 10 days is for.

The Total Cover Plus methodology is that they do all the maintenance for you. They stick it on with a strong long-lasting glue, and only they can remove it - you are dependent on them, and you have to go back to them every few weeks for a service. That methodology suits some guys, but it has its downsides. First, there is the continual cost of visits; second there is the dependence - if something goes wrong when you are on holiday, what do you do?; and third, you are not going to get the finest most undetectable system using this method, because those systems are not robust enough to stay for 3 or 4 weeks without maintenance. As Grincher says, there are also hygiene issues with keeping the piece on for long periods at a time, especially a non-breathable skin piece. So there is an argument for taking the other approach, which is to do your own maintenance (or at least be able to do so) - order your own hair systems off the Net and learn to put then on, take them off and look after them. That way, you will save a lot of money and be in control of your own system. As you may have picked up, that is what I do, and what I recommend, but it is a choice that every wearer has to make for himself.

Noah

Jessejeager

My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely looking much younger!

With a custom system you will get a more suitable denisty, colour match, even a little grey in it if you want. Its made from scratch hence it takes longer and yes TCP are off the sshelf that they colour.

I have been ordering online and DIY-ing for a few years. Initially, I was nervous especially on a reattachment at home. The first time it took me two attempts, but since then I must have done it 200 times and only ever needed 4 second attempts. Plus if you have your wife helping it will be even easier!

The second reason to go DIY is you will learn a lot more about a system and products.

Thirdly, it will work out a lot cheaper without loss of quality

Finally, you can pick and choose when you reattach and all from the comfort of home and not on a TCP salon visit which are too far apart. If you remove it every 2-weeks and clean the system and your head it more healthy and fresher feeling than leaving it on for many more weeks with bacteria build up. Most wearers and salons will tell you the same. I left my system on once for 4 weeks and ewwwww.

Hi grincher I found your post really helpful and informative as I too am currently wearing a total cover plus system and for financial and other obvious reasons I’m looking to go the diy route. The problem is I have no idea where to start. I live in the uk as well so I’m curious which company it is you use? Any info or tips would be so appreciated. Thanks in advanced
Jesse

Josh mw

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone, im new to the forum and to hair replacement in general. I have been thinning for years (Im 47) to the point that I no longer wanted to go out anywhere without a hat. I tried hair implants but was unsuitable etc so I looked into hair systems. I didnt even know they existed, sure I know about wigs but thought they would look bad. Total Cover Plus was the first system I looked into and I read all the reviews and as a newbie, I decided to go for it. I didnt want to get a system where I have to stick it on myself as this worried me so basically I took the plunge without doing too much research on other systems. I didnt even know about lace, mesh etc.

So I got my appointment and they colour matched me and then I had it fitted and styled. I went away feeling very strange, anxious and uncertain as this was a drastic change in the way I looked. I was concened because it looked like it has way to much 'volume' to the hair - it was too 'big'. When getting it cut I kept telling the stylist to cut the 'weight' out of it but it was not enough and my wife thought it looked weird.

I went to another salon the following day and explained the situation and the lady spend 30 mins thinning out the hair and now im very pleased with it. Id give it 8/10 but it has way boosted my confidence so all in all im very pleased with my new look.

Going forward Im unsure if the next system should be tailor made (as Ive read so much about) or another one like I have now. This one took only 10 days to arrive so I do have some questions.

What is the advantages of a tailor made system? The one I have now fits well and blends in however I do have grey hairs on the side. Would a tailor made one be able to accomadate this?

The density / weight / volume of the unit was way too much, it didnt look right for someone my age so is there a way to get one made with a lot less 'hair' to it?

Finally, with Total Cover Plus, they stick it on and it stays on (apart from some extra bonding here and there) Why would I want one that I remove myself? If I removed it myself, wouldnt it not go back on right? Would the hair still blend in. Why not stick with Total Cover Plus instead?

My concerns with TCP is that their systems arrive in 10 days which suggests that they are 'off the shelf'. The tailor made ones take much longer - why?

Thanks everyone and I hope you dont mind all the 'starter' questions :)

Ezzo
Looks good!

Jessejeager

My Regimen
Reaction score
Jesse, PM sent
Hi Grincher I’m unable to reply to your message because I’m a new member apparently so I hope this works.

This was my message
Hi Lewis thanks very much for the reply appreciate your time.

I have looked at them before as they seem good. Another user recommended northwest lace do you have any thoughts on them?

Best

Matt

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Jesse hope you got my PM and reply too.

Best of luck and let me know if you do find a stylist who can cut the base to your head size and do the fitting etc.

Jessejeager

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Jesse hope you got my PM and reply too.

Best of luck and let me know if you do find a stylist who can cut the base to your head size and do the fitting etc.
Hi dilemma I haven’t received a PM from you actually? Maybe try resending?

Kind regards

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi dilemma I haven’t received a PM from you actually? Maybe try resending?

Kind regards

It's not easy to see the PMs on a mobile device but I've sent u another one... see if u can find it. It's on the same chat as our initial messages.