19yo Temple Thinning- Where To Go From Here?

youngone1

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a 19 year old male and have noticed hairloss since I was 16. Luckily at the moment it is minor temple thinning and recession so when I style correctly it isn't very noticeable.

I started using 5% Minoxidil in September, in which my dosages have been somewhat erratic - I started using it once a day, switched to twice a day and was lazy during Christmas (I am currently using it once a day). However my temples have got worse and thinned out, and there hasn't really been any noticeable regrowth or thickening. I was wondering if I should continue using it or after using it for over 4 months I'm just making things worse?

Also I have been to the GP twice but due to the fact my hairloss doesn't seem that bad they did not refer me to a dermatologist, so I have been unable to get on finasteride. So, I was wondering where's the cheapest place in the UK to get finasteride, and is topical finasteride also worth looking into?

Pic 1 is from September, all others are more recent showing temple thinning (My hair is longer so it may look better)

Attachments

• WIN_20160912_00_53_57_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20160912_00_53_57_Pro.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_1625.JPG
    IMG_1625.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 688
  • WIN_20170208_16_06_10_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20170208_16_06_10_Pro.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_1601 (2).JPG
    IMG_1601 (2).JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 600

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
shave it all until it isn't too late...

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you can't get finasteride, try 3.5% RU 58851 in K&B solution from TheKaneShop. A lot of people have success with it.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a 19 year old male and have noticed hairloss since I was 16. Luckily at the moment it is minor temple thinning and recession so when I style correctly it isn't very noticeable.

I started using 5% Minoxidil in September, in which my dosages have been somewhat erratic - I started using it once a day, switched to twice a day and was lazy during Christmas (I am currently using it once a day). However my temples have got worse and thinned out, and there hasn't really been any noticeable regrowth or thickening. I was wondering if I should continue using it or after using it for over 4 months I'm just making things worse?

Also I have been to the GP twice but due to the fact my hairloss doesn't seem that bad they did not refer me to a dermatologist, so I have been unable to get on finasteride. So, I was wondering where's the cheapest place in the UK to get finasteride, and is topical finasteride also worth looking into?

Pic 1 is from September, all others are more recent showing temple thinning (My hair is longer so it may look better)
I honestly don't see anything wrong with your hair.

youngone1

Reaction score
Yeah sorry the pictures aren't great, but my temples were never always this thin or receded. Should I stay on minoxidil though if my temple has thinned out more?

SamFT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

You're the same age as me and I started losing my hair at 16 too and I'm about the same pace as you. Im not planning on trying finasteride or ru because I got sides from saw palmetto. Look into S5 cream too

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could you point me some long-term success cases? Don't need to be a lot of, just a handful is fine.

Swoop had posted a few cases studies of regrowth off RU alone.

The 1990s era clinical trials can likely be found off Wikipedia.

youngone1

Reaction score
A small update - things have not been great. I have been using Kirkland Minoxidil twice a day and have noticed no improvement, and if anything my right temple in particular is eroding further. I have used it now for almost 7 months and my hair has only worsened since then - is it time to finally quit?
Also I'm considering finasteride, but my GP didn't refer me to a derm so I would most likely buy it online - are there any preliminary DHT tests I should do for precaution?

youngone1

Reaction score
My temples are getting really thin now, why has it got so much worse in just a few months? Could it be the minoxidil accelerating things or just my natural pattern? I'm really stuck on what to do now - the difference in my temples between the last 6months is more than they changed in roughly 2 years

Señor AIDidaS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My temples are getting really thin now, why has it got so much worse in just a few months? Could it be the minoxidil accelerating things or just my natural pattern? I'm really stuck on what to do now - the difference in my temples between the last 6months is more than they changed in roughly 2 years

Pics of what it looks like now?

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn my hair looked almost identical to that when I was 19/20. Get on finasteride asap, don't bother with minoxidil yet.