19 years old who decided to go on the big three

dusty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair loss started when i was about 16. At first i was in denial because I believed that you basically inherited hair loss from your mothers side and my grandfather had great hair. When I turned 18 I realized that my hairline was nowhere near where it was just a couple years back and my confidence about my hair just plummeted. So after a year of uni with my hair getting worse and worse I decided to start this school year off by getting on the big three. I was sent to a dermatologist by my family doctor and he prescribed 5mg finasteride and I picked up some nizoral and minoxidil at the store. Hoping this works.

Wish me luck and I will be posting pics of my starting point sometime tomorrow with follow up pictures every couple of months.

EDIT: I was on finasteride for a year then switched to dutasteride.
After a couple months of minoxidil I stopped using it due to scalp irritation but now I use it nightly.
I switched from nizoral 1% to 2% recently also.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
update no earlier than 6 months

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Yeah, unless you are one of the few lucky ones, you will not really see regrowth for at least a few months.

dusty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
CAM00550.jpgCAM00551.jpgCAM00552.jpgCAM00553.jpgCAM00554.jpgCAM00555.jpg

CAM00562.jpg
some wet and dry pics of my starting point
any idea what my Norwood is?

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
you are diffuse nw6

dusty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just wanted to give a quick update. I do not feel as there has been any regrowth but maybe the hair loss has slowed down. I could not stand minoxidil in that the irritation from it was unbearable. So I am currently just on finasteride at the moment. Honestly feel like giving up because I do no think there has been any real sign of improvement.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maintenance itself is a success, particularly in a 19 year old with such aggressive hair loss pattern. If you want regrowth, try Minoxidil Foam, maybe the liquid was giving you irritation as it contains propylene glycol.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Count yourself lucky you got maintenance. And with no sides as well I'm assuming - those two combined make your experience a success I would say. Hopefully you can maintain on finasteride for many years until something better for regrowth comes along.

dusty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I said my hair loss could have slowed down a little bit but to say I am maintaining would be incorrect. In fact slowing down is probably an exaggeration. Honestly think I am just going to go bald and live on with my life but here is a picture in harsh light. Might get on RU and dutasteride if I can fit it into my budget. 20150728_213211.jpg20150728_213242.jpg20150728_213202.jpg

Illu2ion

Established Member
Reaction score
Crown looks a bit worse, but midscalp actually looks better imo. In fact, that leads me to think your crown has maintained and I'm just looking at it in an unlucky angle or are comparing your pics wrong. If you can, switch to dutasteride. Might fix your crown. Also, as you talked about fitting things in your budget, if you have to choose between dutasteride and ru because of money issues, I'd go for dutasteride as my first choice.
Btw have you looked into toppik? I know it might not sound desirable to try hair fibres but I've seen good results and your type of hair loss (diffuse thinning) could benefit a lot from using them. You could always try it, if you find that it's not for you after using it for a while then you can quit it ofcourse.

dusty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How would you recommend getting dutasteride?

- - - Updated - - -

Im 19 aswell and i started losing har around 17, thinking of starting with finasteride soon.
Start as soon as you can. I wish I would have gone to the doctor the day I turned 18

- - - Updated - - -

Crown looks a bit worse, but midscalp actually looks better imo. In fact, that leads me to think your crown has maintained and I'm just looking at it in an unlucky angle or are comparing your pics wrong. If you can, switch to dutasteride. Might fix your crown. Also, as you talked about fitting things in your budget, if you have to choose between dutasteride and ru because of money issues, I'd go for dutasteride as my first choice.
Btw have you looked into toppik? I know it might not sound desirable to try hair fibres but I've seen good results and your type of hair loss (diffuse thinning) could benefit a lot from using them. You could always try it, if you find that it's not for you after using it for a while then you can quit it ofcourse.
My crown has definitely gotten worse and after a second look I thing I may be maintaining/getting better in the mid area like you said. I know my hair would be great for toppik but it would be more embarrassing if anyone were to find out.

maximus41

Reaction score
Dont give up so soon. One thing i dont understand and also i have noticed. The number of people who are getting bald at early age is increasing. There has to be some reason for that. Maybe its just not diet but also stress?
Do use minoxidil plus finasteride for a year and then you will start seeing results. It takes usually 3-6months to slowdown hairloss. You will also lose hair in the beginning, that's what happened with me.