18 Years Old And Suffering Because Of My Hair

helloimhere

My Regimen
Reaction score
I first noticed thinning when I was 17, before then I always thought my hair was quite thick but it has definitely gotten thinner recently, I have also noticed loss and hairline recession. This is really making me depressed. I have been wearing hats when I go out in public for the whole of this year - and I can't see that changing.
My current daily regimen is:
  • 1mg of finasteride
  • 2ml of minoxidil
  • and some biotin vitamins
I've been doing the above three for around 2 months now and have not noticed any change, if anything my hair has gotten worse. I am very worried. I buzzed my hair at the beginning of this year and that has made me even more self conscious as it makes my hairline look worse.
Recently I also purchased ketoconazole shampoo, even though I've never suffered from dandruff - but I've heard it helps.
I really don't know what is wrong with me, I just want things to go back to normal.

Attachments

• disgusting.png
    disgusting.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,260
  • IMG_20170213_123049.jpg
    IMG_20170213_123049.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 1,792
  • IMG_20170213_123044.jpg
    IMG_20170213_123044.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 3,157

Sam227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The general consensus is to wait at least a year to evaluate results from finasteride. Hang in there buddy. I started losing at 17 too. I've been on finasteride for 5 months now. There's only so much we can do right now. Be patient and I'm sure the results will come

helloimhere

My Regimen
Reaction score
The general consensus is to wait at least a year to evaluate results from finasteride. Hang in there buddy. I started losing at 17 too. I've been on finasteride for 5 months now. There's only so much we can do right now. Be patient and I'm sure the results will come
Did you notice a difference in those 5 months? I've seen some good progress pictures but I've never seen anyone with hair as thin as mine already is. I'm not filled with confidence as I said I haven't noticed any change in the past 2 months.

Sam227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like you have retrograde allopecia and diffuse thinning. At your age, this may be an aggressive case, what is your family history like?

But as Sam said, 2 months is far too early to assess, at this stage I would expect you to below baseline. Hopefully in a month or two you'll be back to baseline and start seeing some regrowth.

helloimhere

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like you have retrograde allopecia and diffuse thinning. At your age, this may be an aggressive case, what is your family history like?

But as Sam said, 2 months is far too early to assess, at this stage I would expect you to below baseline. Hopefully in a month or two you'll be back to baseline and start seeing some regrowth.
My father started balding in his 50s, up until then he has had a full head of hair. My brother is the same age as me and he has no loss at all, his hair looks nice. Relatives on one side of my family start balding at a late age, on the other side there is no balding at all.
What did you mean by baseline? How do I fix retrograde alopecia?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well Usually this is good news... But clearly you are losing your hair at a younger age than they did... So you may not follow your male family members...
Baseline is your hair status immediately before treatment, usually people shed after a few weeks and get worse before they get better.
Retrograde allopecia is thinning in areas that are normally permanent (sides and horseshoe tonsure aka donor zone). Finasteride might fix it up but most likely a hair transplant will not be an option for you in the future. Usually it's a sign if more aggressive hair loss.
Hopefully finasteride will sort you out, for a while, then in 5-10 years you can look into Tsuji Kyocera or Replicel/Shiseido treatments.
You're probably going to be in for a bit of a fight to keep your hair.

helloimhere

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well Usually this is good news... But clearly you are losing your hair at a younger age than they did... So you may not follow your male family members...
Baseline is your hair status immediately before treatment, usually people shed after a few weeks and get worse before they get better.
Retrograde allopecia is thinning in areas that are normally permanent (sides and horseshoe tonsure aka donor zone). Finasteride might fix it up but most likely a hair transplant will not be an option for you in the future. Usually it's a sign if more aggressive hair loss.
Hopefully finasteride will sort you out, for a while, then in 5-10 years you can look into Tsuji Kyocera or Replicel/Shiseido treatments.
You're probably going to be in for a bit of a fight to keep your hair.
Well that sounds awful, I don't even want to believe you. I just now ordered 3 months worth of Spironolactone.. I'm going to be taking 100mg a day so hopefully that'll help with my hair. I don't even care about the side effects at this point. I just want to make my hair better. I'll keep this thread updated though I suppose. But I don't have high hopes for the future.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair look like sh*t.

That's terrible.

Retrograde + diffuse.

I hope finasteride + spironolactone + minoxidil + keto will help you, good luck.

helloimhere

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair look like sh*t.

That's terrible.

Retrograde + diffuse.

I hope finasteride + spironolactone + minoxidil + keto will help you, good luck.
Thanks for being insensitive but you didn't need to let me know, I knew that already.
Your name is funny.. well if these medications don't work for me then I don't see myself being able to cope

g.i joey

Reaction score
Thanks for being insensitive but you didn't need to let me know, I knew that already.
Your name is funny.. well if these medications don't work for me then I don't see myself being able to cope

You have natural blonde hair, If you can get just a little regrowth to get coverage I'd say you'll be in a good position. That said, 2 months is way too early and it's a stage where you may be worst off than baseline so don't let it discourage you man.

Also, I'd go see a Doctor for that, your hair is thin all around and it looks like the sides are thin too. Try to rule out any other conditions, inflammation problems. Although this probably is, there's a small chance it could be something other than male pattern baldness.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score

you underestimate power of hedonic treadmill

but anyway I hope that solid medication will work for you

if only I started medication 5-6 years back! but wasn't awared unfortunately

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
f*** me its always sad to see someone so young with level this of hair loss. 18 years old wtf

definately go to your doctor to gets tests done. rule out any other problems

in meantime i would suggest either buzzing it if your cool with it. or maybe getting some concealer until the hair thickens up. concealers are addictive as hell but you have enough coverage to make it work and cover the baldness well.

and stick to meds for a year at least. having lost the hair recently, you should get decent regrowth.

if it is male pattern baldness, your in for a real fight man. good luck to you.

and lol to your first photos name..disgusting. least you a have sense of humor mate. your gonna need with this f*****g disease.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Spironolacetone is an extreme treatment, I'm sure you're aware of the side effects, best of luck. If you look on the success forum you can see some extreme regimens with great results.
While things may not look so good right now, hair lost most recently is most likely to grow back, and there may well be a cure in the next 5 years with widespread commercial availability before you hit 30.
Really wish you the best of luck.

helloimhere

My Regimen
Reaction score
Spironolacetone is an extreme treatment, I'm sure you're aware of the side effects, best of luck. If you look on the success forum you can see some extreme regimens with great results.
While things may not look so good right now, hair lost most recently is most likely to grow back, and there may well be a cure in the next 5 years with widespread commercial availability before you hit 30.
Really wish you the best of luck.
Thanks, I wish everyone here the best of luck. Nobody should have to deal with this. I've seen some amazing results from some users who are on a high dosage of spironolactone, but they seem to be on estrogen too. Does estrogen help with hair growth/quality? I'll seriously consider ordering some if it does.. I don't care about the side effects of infertility or breast growth, at this point I'd rather just have nice hair.
It's messing with my life, this has been happening since the beginning of 2016. I've been skipping college a lot because of it and I'm a nervous wreck.

lemoncloak

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, I wish everyone here the best of luck. Nobody should have to deal with this. I've seen some amazing results from some users who are on a high dosage of spironolactone, but they seem to be on estrogen too. Does estrogen help with hair growth/quality? I'll seriously consider ordering some if it does.. I don't care about the side effects of infertility or breast growth, at this point I'd rather just have nice hair.
It's messing with my life, this has been happening since the beginning of 2016. I've been skipping college a lot because of it and I'm a nervous wreck.
Estrogen is great for hair growth. It will also soften your erections, decrease your libido, possibly grow gyno, make you chubbier, decrease muscle mass, thin bones, possibly decrease concentration and make you more emotional and prone to depression. And of course less fertile. Unless you're gay and feminine avoid it like the plague.
spironolactone alone is kinda risky. See how your treatment goes. If you get results without many sides keep at it. If you get sides, stop. There's drugs out there that can help with gyno (not sure if they work with spironolactone gyno) so keep that in mind. If I were you I'd shave my head at this point but that's just me. I know it sucks, but you'd be bald, not dead, even if some nutjobs believe they're identical.
You can also look into hair systems but they are pretty expensive for an 18 year old and require maintainance. Very decent results but it's not for everyone.
Just stick to your regimen and see.
In any case you're 18 and regenerative biology is moving faster than ever. Browse the research forum and look up Tsuji, Tissuse and Shiseido. There's a chance you'll get your hair back sometime in your 20's as long as you have a few dozens good hairs in the back.
Just don't let this get to you. Time is more valuable than hair unfortunately. I've wasted most of the last 5 years for various reasons. Don't go down that rabbit hole.
Ask me anything you like if you feel the need to bud.

Last edited:

helloimhere

My Regimen
Reaction score
Estrogen is great for hair growth. It will also soften your erections, decrease your libido, possibly grow gyno, make you chubbier, decrease muscle mass, thin bones, possibly decrease concentration and make you more emotional and prone to depression. And of course less fertile. Unless you're gay and feminine avoid it like the plague.
spironolactone alone is kinda risky. See how your treatment goes. If you get results without many sides keep at it. If you get sides, stop. There's drugs out there that can help with gyno (not sure if they work with spironolactone gyno) so keep that in mind. If I were you I'd shave my head at this point but that's just me. I know it sucks, but you'd be bald, not dead, even if some nutjobs believe they're identical.
You can also look into hair systems but they are pretty expensive for an 18 year old and require maintainance. Very decent results but it's not for everyone.
Just stick to your regimen and see.
In any case you're 18 and regenerative biology is moving faster than ever. Browse the research forum and look up Tsuji, Tissuse and Shiseido. There's a chance you'll get your hair back sometime in your 20's as long as you have a few dozens good hairs in the back.
Just don't let this get to you. Time is more valuable than hair unfortunately. I've wasted most of the last 5 years for various reasons. Don't go down that rabbit hole.
Ask me anything you like if you feel the need to bud.
Thanks for the reply. I ordered Estrogen earlier today from a website called qhi, I ordered 168 tablets at 2mg "Progynova" I'm not at all sure on how much to take per day, so some advice on that would be nice. I'm not worried about kids since I'd feel bad spreading these hair genetics :p

Sam227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man are you sure about this. I still think you should give current treatments at least 6 months and then you can evaluate your situation

helloimhere

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyway I'm going to use this thread as a sort of progress log. My hair is currently worse than it has ever been (40 days into finasteride / minoxidil). Hopefully the E and spironolactone that I'll have in a few weeks will improve my situation.
Every 2 months I'll post these 4 pictures (2 wet, 2 dry) in the same lighting to see if I'm actually making any progress. So far the future looks bleak. (pls no bully)

Attachments

• IMG_20170214_141258.jpg
    IMG_20170214_141258.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_20170214_141311.jpg
    IMG_20170214_141311.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 819
  • IMG_20170214_142131.jpg
    IMG_20170214_142131.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,466
  • IMG_20170214_142327.jpg
    IMG_20170214_142327.jpg